PDA

View Full Version : Egypt urges US to show restraint in Ferguson

Mani
08-20-2014, 12:04 AM
And Iran and China also chimed in.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28855811

Egypt's government has called on US authorities to show restraint against protesters in Ferguson, Missouri.

It said it was "closely following the escalation of protests" after the fatal shooting of an unarmed black teenager by a white policeman on 9 August.

The statement echoes US President Barack Obama's comments during Egypt's crackdown on protesters in 2013.

Correspondents say the criticism is unusual since Egypt gets about $1.5bn (£1bn) in aid from the US every year.

President Obama is under increasing pressure to bring an end to the violent scenes in the St Louis suburb.

It is now 10 days since Michael Brown's death, which sparked mass demonstrations.

Jay Nixon, the governor of Missouri, has ordered the National Guard to support police operations, but violence flared again on Monday night, with law enforcement officers arresting 31 people.

The statement from Egypt's foreign ministry followed a similar call from United Nations chief Ban Ki-moon, who called on Missouri police to abide by "US and international standards".

Iran added its voice to the criticism, with Majid Takht-Ravanchi, the deputy foreign minister for European and American Affairs, saying the unrest was a sign of "the phenomenon of racism" in the West.

Meanwhile Chinese state news agency Xinhua said that despite the US playing the role of an international human rights defender, the clashes showed "there is still much room for improvement at home".

"Obviously, what the United States needs to do is to concentrate on solving its own problems rather than always pointing fingers at others," the Xinhua editorial added.

Is that political blowback?

luctor-et-emergo
08-20-2014, 02:20 AM
Is that political blowback?

Not yet. This is opportunism. Political blowback comes later.

Slave Mentality
08-20-2014, 06:52 AM
They just hate us 'cause our freedom is all.

Origanalist
08-20-2014, 06:56 AM
But we're the good guys.

Root
08-20-2014, 07:00 AM
So, are they gonna send us money (humanitarian aid)?

Slave Mentality
08-20-2014, 07:09 AM

Waiting on the shipments of weapons to help arm "the rebels" too! Come on guys, help an oppressed population out.

(That was a joke government goons) - Need to start putting this in all my posts so it looks silly at my (and yours) future charges of being an "anti-government type".

Root
08-20-2014, 07:19 AM
Waiting on the shipments of weapons to help arm "the rebels" too! Come on guys, help an oppressed population out.

(That was a joke government goons) - Need to start putting this in all my posts so it looks silly at my (and yours) future charges of being an "anti-government type".
Yes!!!

enhanced_deficit
08-20-2014, 02:36 PM
Correspondents say the criticism is unusual since Egypt gets about $1.5bn (£1bn) in aid from the US every year.

No, we are going to send them more aid, and it is good investment in that special arab nation by US taxpayers even after 9/11. Here is dividened:

An insane alliance: Israel and Egypt against Gaza

Despite its mediator role, Egypt is no impartial broker. It shares Israel’s view that Hamas can be crushed and suffocated into submission.

Aug. 8, 2014

Mani
08-20-2014, 08:39 PM

Yes, "Mccain was seen taking pictures with some of the Rebels known as Big Mike's Army."

HOLLYWOOD
08-21-2014, 02:20 AM
CIA-Mi6 Egypt? lol! Recent reporting has Egypt's authoritarian rule on steroids and worst than ever. Just another piece of propaganda to keep the truth from reaching western shores. Yes, al-Sisi is CIA-Mi6.... so there you go, another dictatorship installed by the rouge-covert US-UK Imperialistic leaders.

COpatriot
08-21-2014, 07:38 AM
That's hilarious coming from one of the worst police states in the world.

JK/SEA
08-21-2014, 08:24 AM

you mean..'are they gonna send us our money back'.....aid..