PDA

View Full Version : New video from last night - #Ferguson

ronpaulhawaii
08-18-2014, 07:03 PM
My girl was in Ferguson Sunday night (I'm working in NYC.) Here is the vid she just posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXaVdU6dnus

Suzanimal
08-18-2014, 07:27 PM
Wow, that was disturbing.:mad:

presence
08-18-2014, 07:36 PM
The sound deterrant at the end was so loud it made the camera man shake.

tangent4ronpaul
08-18-2014, 07:53 PM
RPH: forward to your girl. I was helping out a CDC researcher a few years ago...

Simple Respiratory Mask How-To
From the June issue of Emerging Infectious Diseases. I have written the authors for permission to distribute this freely. Meantime, for the 'chosen few' here...

RR

Simple Respiratory Mask

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol12no06/05-1468.htm

Virginia M. Dato, David Hostler,* and Michael E. Hahn*

*University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA

To the Editor: The US Department of Labor recommends air-purifying respirators (e.g., N95, N99, or N100) as part of a comprehensive respiratory protection program for workers directly involved with avian influenza–infected birds or patients (1). N95 respirators have 2 advantages over simple cloth or surgical masks; they are >95% efficient at filtering 0.3-μm particles (smaller than the 5-μm size of large droplets—created during talking, coughing, and sneezing—which usually transmit influenza) and are fit tested to ensure that infectious droplets and particles do not leak around the mask (2–4). Even if N95 filtration is unnecessary for avian influenza, N95 fit offers advantages over a loose-fitting surgical mask by eliminating leakage around the mask.
The World Health Organization recommends protective equipment including masks (if they not available, a cloth to cover the mouth is recommended) for persons who must handle dead or ill chickens in regions affected by H5N1 (5). Quality commercial masks are not always accessible, but anecdotal evidence has showed that handmade masks of cotton gauze were protective in military barracks and in healthcare workers during the Manchurian epidemic (6,7). A simple, locally made, washable mask may be a solution if commercial masks are not available. We describe the test results of 1 handmade, reusable, cotton mask.

For material, we choose heavyweight T-shirts similar to the 2-ply battle dress uniform T-shirts used for protective masks against ricin and saxitoxin in mouse experiments (8). Designs and T-shirts were initially screened with a short version of a qualitative Bitrex fit test (9) (Allegro Industries, Garden Grove, CA, USA). The best were tested by using a standard quantitative fit test, the Portacount Plus Respirator Fit Tester with N95-Companion (TSI, Shoreview, MN, USA) (10). Poor results from the initial quantitative fit testing on early prototypes resulted in the addition of 4 layers of material to the simplest mask design. This mask is referred to as the prototype mask (Figure).

A Hanes Heavyweight 100% preshrunk cotton T-shirt (made in Honduras) (http://www.hanesprintables.com/Globals/Faq.aspx) was boiled for 10 minutes and air-dried to maximize shrinkage and sterilize the material in a manner available in developing countries. A scissor, marker, and ruler were used to cut out 1 outer layer (≈37 × 72 cm) and 8 inner layers (<18 cm2). The mask was assembled and fitted as shown in the Figure.

A fit factor is the number generated during quantitative fit testing by simulating workplace activities (a series of exercises, each 1 minute in duration). The Portacount Plus Respirator Fit Tester with N95-Companion used for the test is an ambient aerosol instrument that measures aerosol concentration outside and inside the prototype mask. The challenge agent used is the ambient microscopic dust and other aerosols that are present in the air.

A commercially available N95 respirator requires a fit factor of 100 to be considered adequate in the workplace. The prototype mask achieved a fit factor of 67 for 1 author with a Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) panel face size of 4, a common size. Although insufficient for the workplace, this mask offered substantial protection from the challenge aerosol and showed good fit with minimal leakage. The other 2 authors with LANL panel face size 10, the largest size, achieved fit factors of 13 and 17 by making the prototype mask inner layers slightly larger (22 cm2).

We do not advocate use of this respirator in place of a properly fitted commercial respirator. Although subjectively we did not find the work of breathing required with the prototype mask to be different from that required with a standard N95 filtering facepiece, persons with respiratory compromise of any type should not use this mask. While testers wore the mask for an hour without difficulty, we cannot comment on its utility during strenuous work or adverse environmental conditions.

We showed that a hand-fashioned mask can provide a good fit and a measurable level of protection from a challenge aerosol. Problems remain. When made by naive users, this mask may be less effective because of variations in material, assembly, facial structure, cultural practices, and handling. No easy, definitive, and affordable test can demonstrate effectiveness before each use. Wearers may find the mask uncomfortable.
We encourage innovation to improve respiratory protection options. Future studies must be conducted to determine levels of protection achieved when naive users, following instructions, produce a similar mask from identical or similar raw materials. Research is needed to determine the minimal level of protection needed when resources are not available for N95 air-purifying respirators since the pandemic threat from H5N1 and other possible influenza strains will exist for the foreseeable future.

References
1. Occupational Safety and Health Administration. Guidance for protecting workers against avian flu. [cited 2005 Oct 23]. Available from http://www.osha.gov/dsg/guidance/avian-flu.html
2. National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. 42 CFR Part 84 Respiratory protective devices. 1995 [cited 2005 Oct 23]. Available from http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/pt84abs2.html
3. Garner, JS. Guideline for isolation precautions in hospitals. The Hospital Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1996;17:53–80.
4. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Laboratory performance evaluation of N95 filtering facepiece respirators, 1996. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1998.47:1045–9.
5. World Health Organization Regional Office for the Western Pacific. Advice for people living in areas affected by bird flu or avian influenza. 2004 Nov 8 [cited 2005 Oct 22]. Available from http://www.wpro.who.int/NR/rdonlyres/04FA6993-8CD1-
4B72-ACB9-EB0EBD3D0CB1/0/Advice10022004rev08112004.pdf
6. Capps JA. Measures for the prevention and control of respiratory infections in military camps. JAMA. 1918;71:448–50.
7. Kool, JL. Risk of person-to-person transmission of pneumonic plague. Clin Infect Dis. 2005;40:1166–72.
8. Darling RG. Biological warfare and bioterrorism. Slides 47 and 48. [cited 2006 Mar 19]. Available from http://www.regionsem.org/~trjoing/pa.../Slides%20with
%20Notes/Biological%20Warfare%20&%20Bioterrorism.pdf
9. Occupational Safety and Health Administration. Fit testing procedures (mandatory)–1910.134 App A. [cited 2006 Jan 21]. Available from http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owad...ument?p_table=
STANDARDS&p_id=9780&p_text_version=FALSE#Appendix% 20A
10. TSI incorporated. How to quantitatively fit test filtering-face piece respirators using a TSI Portacount Plus and N95-Companion (ITI-054) c2006. [cited 2006 Jan 21]. Available from http://www.tsi.com/AppNotes/appnotes...5&file=iti_054

Suggested citation for this article:

Dato VM, Hostler D, Hahn ME. Simple respiratory mask [letter]. Emerg Infect Dis [serial on the Internet]. 2006 Jun [date cited]. Available from http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol12no06/05-1468.htm

====

My reply to the author:

Dear Virginia Dato,

I read your paper on a simple respiratory mask with interest. It's a good contribution to the literature.

you may be interested in some other, related resources. The first, I am including as an attachment and is an article from the Popular Science, December 1942 issue on making a homemade gas mask.

Secondly, I have seen material on making homemade masks to protect against tear gas in the literature of various protest groups. These vary somewhat, and while the sources I'm thinking of I don't have a link for, you are likely to find similar material here:

http://www.bostoncoop.net/balm/index.html#lib

If you scroll down past BALM's library, the next section is links to a number of "street medic" groups and most, if not all will have an on line library. You are highly likely to find material of interest.

Lastly, The DoE Info Bridge has material of interest to you. I would suggest the search terms" filter expedient or filter improvised.

http://www.osti.gov/bridge/basicsearch.jsp

In particular, NUREG/CR-2958; SAND-82-7084 Expedient methods of respiratory protection. II. Leakage tests. Final report discusses leakage tests on manikins through expedient masks made of t-shirts, washcloth and handkerchief material. You are likely to find related documents on that site. As an aside, they found pantyhose a very effective strapping material to assure a tight seal.

I do remember another on that side discussing creating a positive pressure room in a house using duct tape, plastic sheet and a vacuum cleaner. Related to the area protection research, NWSS discusses how to make an air filter from rolls of toilet paper, a furness filter and a bellows made from cardboard boxes.

hmmm... the second edition has gotten rid of that design, though it can be found in the back of a science fiction novel, "Pulling Through" by Dean Ing. Here is the new Design:

http://www.oism.org/nwss/s73p937.htm
http://www.oism.org/nwss/s73p917.htm

Hope that helps,

-t

====

addendum:

Some of the “street medic” improvised masks involved wetting the mask. IIRC, with vinegar. Another design involved sewing fabric at intervals, forming troughs or long pockets into which was put activated charcoal (common source – fish tanks or poison antidote). Several of these were formed into a mask, with the “pockets” offset 50% so at no point were you breathing through a seam.

-t

====

Virginia Dato has extended her kind permission to freely distribute the plans and article, as is her intent that it be, with an eye towards improving upon the mask as practical.

RR

====

Found that other paper I was thinking of. It's allso available in fulltext on the infobridge.

Title Emergency Protection from Aerosols
Creator/Author Cristy, G.A.
Publication Date 2001 Nov 13
OSTI Identifier OSTI ID: 788898
Report Number(s) ORNL-5519
DOE Contract Number AC05-00OR22725
DOI 10.2172/788898
Other Number(s) TRN: AH200136%%165
Resource Type Technical Report
Resource Relation Other Information: PBD: 13 Nov 2001
Coverage Topical
Research Org Oak Ridge National Lab., TN (US)
Sponsoring Org US Department of Energy (US)
Subject 61 RADIATION PROTECTION AND DOSIMETRY; AEROSOLS; HOUSEHOLDS; RADIOACTIVE AEROSOLS; RADIATION PROTECTION; ELECTRIC APPLIANCES; PRESSURIZATION; AIR INFILTRATION; MITIGATION
Description/Abstract Expedient methods were developed that could be used by an average person, using only materials readily available, to protect himself and his family from injury by toxic (e.g., radioactive) aerosols. The most effective means of protection was the use of a household vacuum cleaner to maintain a small positive pressure on a closed house during passage of the aerosol cloud. Protection factors of 800 and above were achieved.
Country of Publication United States
Language English
Format Medium: ED; Size: 58 pages
System Entry Date 2008 Feb 05

-t

tangent4ronpaul
08-18-2014, 07:59 PM

bring a home sat dish (small - like 30") and send that shit back to them.

-t

LibertyEagle
08-18-2014, 08:12 PM
What are those few throwing at the police?

JK/SEA
08-18-2014, 08:18 PM

freedom.

Suzanimal
08-18-2014, 08:19 PM

I believe they're throwing back tear gas that was thrown at them.

ronpaulhawaii
08-18-2014, 08:20 PM

They are throwing the teargas back. Occasionally some will throw rocks but more people tell em to quit pretty quick. Hands Up! - Don't Shoot!

Cleaner44
08-18-2014, 08:34 PM
They are throwing the teargas back. Occasionally some will throw rocks but more people tell em to quit pretty quick. Hands Up! - Don't Shoot!

I think throwing the tear gas back at the cops is great. I wish more people would be well equipped with ear plugs and gloves and such.

Root
08-18-2014, 09:40 PM
Wow. I guess it's not time yet..

fr33
08-18-2014, 10:01 PM
Do all or most of the protestors have ear protection?

XNavyNuke
08-18-2014, 10:02 PM
Do all or most of the protestors have ear protection?

They pick up the rubber bullets and stick them in their ears.

XNN

Dr.3D
08-18-2014, 10:02 PM
They pick up the rubber bullets and stick them in their ears.

XNN
Nice the police are providing ear protection.

orenbus
08-18-2014, 10:05 PM
//

ronpaulhawaii
08-18-2014, 11:13 PM

Camera Woman ;)

tangent4ronpaul
08-18-2014, 11:57 PM

I believe they're throwing back tear gas that was thrown at them.

I think throwing the tear gas back at the cops is great. I wish more people would be well equipped with ear plugs and gloves and such.

THat will seriously burn your hands. GLOVES!

Camera Woman ;)

2911\

TEASE! let me know if you ever get tired of her...

-t

ronpaulhawaii
08-19-2014, 06:17 AM
THat will seriously burn your hands. GLOVES!

-t

One guy showed second degree burns on his finger tips...

JK/SEA
08-19-2014, 06:38 AM
bring a home sat dish (small - like 30") and send that shit back to them.

-t

does this really work?...seems legit.

JK/SEA
08-19-2014, 06:41 AM

it ain't over till its over..

tangent4ronpaul
08-19-2014, 07:37 AM
does this really work?...seems legit.

It should.

Sonic weapons suck! :(

-t

jbauer
08-19-2014, 08:10 AM

Kinda what I was thinking. At some point soon this is going to boil over. Either a "protestor" is going to shoot or get shot. I imagine if they do so there will be a tremendous amount of bloodshed.

jbauer
08-19-2014, 08:12 AM
does this really work?...seems legit. If the parabola was accurate enough. I would think that a satellite dish would be to wide since its trying receive signal from a satellite up in the atmosphere. Haven't you ever been to a kids museum? They've got dishes set up that you can talk back and forth through.

tangent4ronpaul
08-19-2014, 08:24 AM
Kinda what I was thinking. At some point soon this is going to boil over. Either a "protestor" is going to shoot or get shot. I imagine if they do so there will be a tremendous amount of bloodshed.

2-3 protesters have already been shot. I believe one cop has also been. No fatalities so far, past the original one.

-t

tangent4ronpaul
08-19-2014, 08:29 AM
If the parabola was accurate enough. I would think that a satellite dish would be to wide since its trying receive signal from a satellite up in the atmosphere. Haven't you ever been to a kids museum? They've got dishes set up that you can talk back and forth through.

They do use them for point to point terrestrial communications. Look at a cell tower sometime.

concentrating the sonic energy isn't desirable. At riot levels, these can make people physically ill. At higher levels they can rupture organs and stuff like that.

What do you think would work better.

-t

JK/SEA
08-19-2014, 08:45 AM
They do use them for point to point terrestrial communications. Look at a cell tower sometime.

concentrating the sonic energy isn't desirable. At riot levels, these can make people physically ill. At higher levels they can rupture organs and stuff like that.

What do you think would work better.

-t

a strongly worded letter of displeasure?

tod evans
08-19-2014, 08:46 AM
a strongly worded letter of displeasure?

That's what government expects from the people, why should the people expect anything different from the government?

tangent4ronpaul
08-19-2014, 09:12 AM
Interesting... the cops are pouring Maalox in protesters eyes to counteract the effects of tear gas. That's a new one for me. Usually it's wash with copious amounts of water or NS (Normal Saline - it's a IV solution).

yeppers:

‘Maalox’-and-water solution used as anti-tear gas remedy by protesters
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/10/29/maalox-and-water-solution-used-as-anti-tear-gas-remedy-by-protesters/

A flier and web-page making its way around Facebook and other social media recommends a solution of Maalox or other liquid antacids as an antidote to the eye pain, blindness, and respiratory distress related to tear gas attacks. The flier, which we found via “OccupyMARINES” states that it is distributed by “United We Rise”, an organization that supports, but is not directly affiliated with “Occupy Wall Street”.

Tear gas is not actually a gas, but a rapidly dispersing chemical agent called capsaicin that produces intense irritation in mucus membranes in the eyes, nose, mouth, throat, and lungs. Protesters in Greece found that mixing a 50 percent solution of liquid antacid and water in spray bottles produces a soothing mist that cools the burning associated with tear gas and pepper spray.

Protesters are instructed by the flier, “When exposed spray your eyes and mouth, then swallow.” The document cites AFP journalists, a study by the University of California at San Francisco, and Wikipedia as sources for information on antacids and tear gas relief.

The flier recommends particle filters and dust masks for keeping tear gas out of the nose and mouth and safety goggles to protect the eyes. It also urges nonviolent protest, saying, “Peaceful protest is the only way to be taken seriously and to be truly heard.”

Why tear gas is so painful — and why exposure is so hard to treat
http://www.vox.com/2014/8/18/6030413/tear-gas-treatment-pain-symptoms

Police have made heavy use of tear gas to break up the ongoing protests in Ferguson, Missouri.

Tear gas is effective at dispersing crowds because its key ingredient — called 2-chlorobenzalmalononitrile — triggers the activation of huge numbers of pain receptors in the eyes, as well as irritation in the throat and difficulty breathing. This causes a person's eyes to start tearing and closing involuntarily, effectively incapacitating that person within seconds.

A large number of people in Ferguson — including an eight year-old boy and a group of journalists — have suffered from these symptoms, and there are various photos showing them using a number of different remedies (such as milk and water) to treat tear-gas exposure.

But the unfortunate truth is that effectively treating exposure to tear gas is very difficult, and the best protections and remedies are solely in the hands of medical professionals. Even worse, we still know virtually nothing about the gas' long-term effects. Here's a rundown of what researchers have discovered about dealing with the effects of tear gas:

1) Most makeshift masks don't work perfectly

The most effective defense against tear gas is a gas mask. But gas masks and filters aren't easily available to civilians.

Some protestors have often used a pair of goggles and a wet bandana worn over the mouth to minimize the tear gas' effects on the respiratory system (historically, protesters have used bandanas soaked in lemon juice, cider vinegar, Coca-Cola, or other acidic solutions, though it's not proven that this is more effective). These measures won't fully protect someone by any means, but they can temporarily reduce the amount of tear gas entering the body, giving a person a few extra moments to escape.

2) The best step is usually to leave the area

Once someone has been exposed to tear gas — whether wearing protection or not — the best thing to do is to get out of the gas-filled area as soon as possible. Simultaneously, experts recommend that victims cough, spit, and blow their noses in an attempt to get as much of the chemical out of their bodies as soon as possible.

People with conditions that make them especially vulnerable to tear gas — such as asthma, other respiratory diseases, or immune system disorders — as well as infants and the elderly should seek professional medical help immediately.

3) Victims' eyes need to be washed out thoroughly

Once in a secure location, it's crucial for anyone exposed to tear gas to wash out their eyes thoroughly until the symptoms begin to subside. If the person is wearing contacts, they need to be removed and thrown away.

Protestors in Ferguson have sometimes been using milk as a rinse — and victims of tear gas in other protests around the world have used a variety of remedies, such as lemon juice or a mix of Maalox (or other antacid) and water. But these treatments haven't been clinically tested, so it's hard to say if they're better than water, which is still the rinse proven most effective in clinical trials.

(There is also a chemical called diphoterine that has been shown to be a more effective rinse and is sometimes used in emergency rooms, but it's not widely available apart from medical supply companies.)

4) Longer-term care is often necessary

Apart from tearing and involuntarily blinking, tear gas also causes a longer-term inflammatory response in a person's eyes and skin — and this can take a few days to subside. Initially, it's recommended that victims take cold showers, because warm water can open up a person's pores, allowing further tear gas particles to enter.

Afterward, any piece of clothing or object that was exposed to the tear gas needs to be thoroughly washed or thrown away. Structures hit by tear gas need to be similarly decontaminated of residue, a process that's especially difficult if tear gas has been deployed indoors.

The long-term effects of tear gas on people have barely been studied and are essentially unknown.

-t

ronpaulhawaii
08-19-2014, 09:30 AM
2-3 protesters have already been shot. I believe one cop has also been. No fatalities so far, past the original one.

-t

Only two shooting victims last night, no police were shot. Interesting that news reports talk about "bottles being thrown" when the live stream I was watching stated (small plastic) water bottles, (and I witnessed one of those myself)...

pcosmar
08-19-2014, 09:53 AM
If the parabola was accurate enough. I would think that a satellite dish would be to wide since its trying receive signal from a satellite up in the atmosphere. Haven't you ever been to a kids museum? They've got dishes set up that you can talk back and forth through.

I'll bet a microwave gun could shut one down..or make the operator real uncomfortable.

pcosmar
08-19-2014, 09:55 AM
The long-term effects of tear gas on people have barely been studied and are essentially unknown.

-t
You can build up resistance to it. (that is painful though)

tangent4ronpaul
08-19-2014, 09:54 PM
Baking soda and water works just as well and a $1 boxof soda would probably mix up 4 or 5 gallons of solution, and it is not sticky and probably not near as messy. In fact it could be carried in a water bottle and poured on the face immediately stopping much of the effect. Might try it in a nose spray bottle too. My experiance is with bear spray in Alaska. Same thing, bear spray may be a little stronger.

the cop reaches around to squirt me square in the eyes with mace.
I'm stumbling around near blind in a dry dusty baseball field with no water anywhere....suddenly someone is trying to stuff a burning or smoldering newspaper in my face.
I kept trying to pull away...like 'are you crazy?' but they kept this smoke in my face until my eyes watered up and then i could suddenly see again.
The guy with the newspaper was a student from Chile. He was there when they finally brought down Gen. Pinochet... he explained that was what they did when they had no other means of cleaning your eyes when the police are using CS gas.
Simple idea when you have to use what you can.

use barrier creme to keep tear gas and pepper spray off skin rub into scalp face and hands let dry effective against serious hair dye should do the trick here too cant hurt is cheap and mechanics use similar to keep grease out of pores of hands etc it is one mroe layer between you and the spray. If you wear contacts do not wear the wear glasses instead or eye protection spray in eyes with contacts = much more pain & damage. Common error. And remember that cotton clothing will absorb the spray and hold it against the skin try to wear clothes that will not act as sponge for the spray but man made weatherproof fibbers. Also secure doors of car if parked anywhere near cops use pepper spray on car seats and it really really hurts let me tell you .. I know.

Another form of defense is to not only wear goggles but apply vaseline to your face and exposed skin.

IMO something to stop Taser use or effectiveness may be needed...ground wires?

I've looked into this: There are mesh t-shirts that will defeat this but it's actually as simple as aluminum foil and possibly mylar taped into clothing. Honestly, I'd go with aluminum foil because it's a much better conductor. Tape it into clothing everywhere (which doubles as a good warmth insulator) and you'll have a shield that will short out the leads before they ever get to the skin and can actually destroy the taser's electronics. Duct tape + aluminum foil = $1000 of police unhappiness. I assume when their tasers start self destructing they'll stop using them. Pass it along.

you can get metal-backed tape at any hardware store - used for metal ductwork.

-t

CPUd
08-19-2014, 10:06 PM
In USMC Basic Training they have to go into the gas chamber and take off their masks.

A friend of mine who did it said he thought he was going to die. You can get the video of yourself when you graduate, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sasV3BGXtmA

The video above doesn't show it, but afterwards, they go outside and walk in a circle with their arms out for a while. That is when they are all blowing snot.

ronpaulhawaii
08-24-2014, 07:38 AM
V directs traffic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcoqXV_Gw9o

pcosmar
08-24-2014, 08:00 AM
In USMC Basic Training they have to go into the gas chamber and take off their masks.

Army does too,, as well as some live surprise attacks. It was often used in various training scenarios back in the early 70s.

I have been dosed fairly heavily in that. (had a Sgt rip my mask off in a cloud) I got a bit of resistance.. I could smell faint trace in the air before anyone else (and give warning) and it had a lessor effect on me.

The gas chamber is many folks first experience. You can feel it burning your skin before the mask comes off.