PDA

View Full Version : Kareem Abdul-Jabbar on Ferguson

nayjevin
08-17-2014, 08:54 PM
http://time.com/3132635/ferguson-coming-race-war-class-warfare/

Ferguson is not just about systemic racism—it's about class warfare, and how America's poor are held back

Will the recent rioting in Ferguson, Missouri, be a tipping point in the struggle against racial injustice, or will it be a minor footnote in some future grad student’s thesis on Civil Unrest in the Early Twenty-First Century?

The answer can be found in May of 1970.

You probably have heard of the Kent State shootings: on May 4, 1970, the Ohio National Guard opened fire on student protesters at Kent State University. During those 13 seconds of gunfire, four students were killed and nine were wounded, one of whom was permanently paralyzed. The shock and outcry resulted in a nationwide strike of 4 million students that closed more than 450 campuses. Five days after the shooting, 100,000 protestors gathered in Washington, D.C. And the nation’s youth was energetically mobilized to end the Vietnam War, racism, sexism, and mindless faith in the political establishment.

You probably haven’t heard of the Jackson State shootings.

On May 14th, 10 days after Kent State ignited the nation, at the predominantly black Jackson State University in Mississippi, police killed two black students (one a high school senior, the other the father of an 18-month-old baby) with shotguns and wounded twelve others.

There was no national outcry. The nation was not mobilized to do anything. That heartless leviathan we call History swallowed that event whole, erasing it from the national memory.

The U.S. Census Report finds that 50 million Americans are poor. Fifty million voters is a powerful block if they ever organized in an effort to pursue their common economic goals. So, it’s crucial that those in the wealthiest One Percent keep the poor fractured by distracting them with emotional issues like immigration, abortion and gun control so they never stop to wonder how they got so screwed over for so long.

One way to keep these 50 million fractured is through disinformation. PunditFact’s recent scorecard on network news concluded that at Fox and Fox News Channel, 60 percent of claims are false. At NBC and MSNBC, 46 percent of claims were deemed false. That’s the “news,” folks! During the Ferguson riots, Fox News ran a black and white photo of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., with the bold caption: “Forgetting MLK’s Message/Protestors in Missouri Turn to Violence.” Did they run such a caption when either Presidents Bush invaded Iraq: “Forgetting Jesus Christ’s Message/U.S. Forgets to Turn Cheek and Kills Thousands”?

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is one of the best basketball players of all time.

HOLLYWOOD
08-17-2014, 09:28 PM
hmm... Kareem must watch how it's done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1RuEZTf5LM

LibertyEagle
08-17-2014, 11:46 PM
Today's black leaders have little reservation about giving their support to union policies that harm their constituents. They support minimum wage increases, which have had a devastating impact on black employment, particularly that of teenagers. Recently, black teen unemployment reached 44 percent, but few people realize that during the late 1940s, before rapid minimum wage escalation, it was less than 10 percent and lower than white teen unemployment. Black leaders also give their support to a super-minimum wage law known as the Davis-Bacon Act of 1931. The legislative history of Davis-Bacon makes clear that its union and congressional supporters sought to eliminate black employment in the construction trades.

Riley's "Educational Freedom" chapter details the sorry story of black education. Between 1970 and today, educational spending has tripled and the school workforce has doubled, far outpacing student enrollment. Despite these massive increases in resources, black academic achievement is a national disgrace. According to the National Assessment of Educational Progress, known as the nation's report card, black 17-year-olds score at the same level as white 13-year-olds in reading and math. White 13-year-olds score higher than black 17-year-olds in science.

http://cnsnews.com/commentary/walter-e-williams/please-stop-helping-us

DFF
08-18-2014, 02:03 AM
"Held back, pfft" is right because after 50 years, blacks have no one, and I mean no one, but themselves to blame for the problems in their own community.

Denial is not a river in Egypt...

mad cow
08-18-2014, 02:37 AM

What does Derek Jeter,one of the best shortstops of all time,have to say about this?

Of course I'm holding back judgement until Richard Petty,the undisputed best stock-car racer in history weighs in.

Suzanimal
08-18-2014, 04:43 AM

I thought it was a pretty good write up but I think he and I might disagree on the proper role of government in straightening out this mess.

But that’s not the case with the multitude of millionaires and billionaires who lobby to reduce Food Stamps, give no relief to the burden of student debt on our young, and kill extensions of unemployment benefits.

He's spot on here but again, I bet he and I would disagree on what legislation should be passed.

I’m not saying the protests in Ferguson aren’t justified—they are. In fact, we need more protests across the country. Where’s our Kent State? What will it take to mobilize 4 million students in peaceful protest? Because that’s what it will take to evoke actual change. The middle class has to join the poor and whites have to join African-Americans in mass demonstrations, in ousting corrupt politicians, in boycotting exploitative businesses, in passing legislation that promotes economic equality and opportunity, and in punishing those who gamble with our financial future.

Otherwise, all we’re going to get is what we got out of Ferguson: a bunch of politicians and celebrities expressing sympathy and outrage. If we don’t have a specific agenda—a list of exactly what we want to change and how—we will be gathering over and over again beside the dead bodies of our murdered children, parents, and neighbors.

LibertyEagle
08-18-2014, 05:30 AM
How is it good, Suz? The federal government shouldn't be giving out food stamps, period, and neither should they be involved in student loans whatsoever. Relief to student debt? You mean making us pay off the loans the students took out?

How is any of this in line with what Ron Paul stands for? Because it isn't. Not even in the slightest.

Suzanimal
08-18-2014, 05:46 AM
I thought it was a pretty good write up but I think he and I might disagree on the proper role of government in straightening out this mess.

He's spot on here but again, I bet he and I would disagree on what legislation should be passed.

How is it good, Suz? The federal government shouldn't be giving out food stamps, period, and neither should they be involved in student loans whatsoever. Relief to student debt? You mean making us pay off the loans the students took out?
How is any of this in line with what Ron Paul stands for? Because it isn't. Not even in the slightest.

I disagreed with him on those points. I thought the second paragraph was good except for the part I highlighted.
Do you disagree with anything in this quote except for the part I highlighted?

I’m not saying the protests in Ferguson aren’t justified—they are. In fact, we need more protests across the country. Where’s our Kent State? What will it take to mobilize 4 million students in peaceful protest? Because that’s what it will take to evoke actual change. The middle class has to join the poor and whites have to join African-Americans in mass demonstrations, in ousting corrupt politicians, in boycotting exploitative businesses, in passing legislation that promotes economic equality and opportunity, and in punishing those who gamble with our financial future.

Otherwise, all we’re going to get is what we got out of Ferguson: a bunch of politicians and celebrities expressing sympathy and outrage. If we don’t have a specific agenda—a list of exactly what we want to change and how—we will be gathering over and over again beside the dead bodies of our murdered children, parents, and neighbors.

KingNothing
08-18-2014, 07:31 AM
"Held back, pfft" is right because after 50 years, blacks have no one, and I mean no one, but themselves to blame for the problems in their own community.

So, you disagree with Rand and Ron Paul when they speak about the unequal administration of justice and the obvious racial component that skews our legal system?

KingNothing
08-18-2014, 07:32 AM
What does Derek Jeter,one of the best shortstops of all time,have to say about this?

Of course I'm holding back judgement until Richard Petty,the undisputed best stock-car racer in history weighs in.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has written several articulate, clear, thoughtful, and nuaced pieces regarding the issues of the day. He isn't just some jock. He's a brilliant man. We might disagree on points both small and large but to write him off as some silly athlete is foolish.

phill4paul
08-18-2014, 07:34 AM

You're gonna be waiting awhile.

fisharmor
08-18-2014, 07:45 AM
Kareem is actually quite bright, irrespective of his chosen career. I've known this ever since I saw him destroy Larry King at celebrity Jeopardy in the early 90's.

However, I stopped reading after this:

How can viewers make reasonable choices in a democracy if their sources of information are corrupted? They can’t, which is exactly how the One Percent controls the fate of the Ninety-Nine Percent.

Let's leave aside the horrible overuse of parenthesis (every composition class I've ever taken decries such), and just focus on how ridiculous it is that he's making a case that information sources are corrupted in one of the most demonstrably biased magazines of all time (pun intended).

Or the fact that everyone here is, while reading that article online, about 10 seconds away from getting millions of other opinions on the subject.

Or the fact that he repeatedly refers to "the poor" as if they are one bloc.

I'd love to have an hour long discussion with him to clear all this up, and maybe inject the idea that one way to get through to "the poor" is to treat them like individuals, as opposed to lumping them into a group for the purpose of crying about other people lumping them into a group.

nayjevin
08-18-2014, 08:01 AM
I just think it's amazing that he was such an inspiring athlete, and now writes this, which is clearly a powerful and focused opinion piece which weaves history and includes relevant current events. In other words actual journalism from someone unexpected, in a time where actual journalism is sorely lacking from professional journalists.

I read this and wished I could write that well.

Those who wish to remain purists and live in a fantasy utopia that no one can cooperate or appreciate anyone that doesn't share their views 100% will remain unhappy and uneffective in the real world. Ron Paul set the bar by endorsing third party candidates and outlining issues which we can agree. Rand Paul is carrying on these principles of cooperation with people with whom he has other disagreements.

My way or the highway is just poor policy in life, for instance those Ferguson police officers who have been problematic, authoritarians in government. That's why I support Rand Paul, and Kareem.

nayjevin
08-18-2014, 08:07 AM
Kareem is actually quite bright, irrespective of his chosen career. I've known this ever since I saw him destroy Larry King at celebrity Jeopardy in the early 90's.

However, I stopped reading after this:

Let's leave aside the horrible overuse of parenthesis (every composition class I've ever taken decries such), and just focus on how ridiculous it is that he's making a case that information sources are corrupted in one of the most demonstrably biased magazines of all time (pun intended).

Or the fact that everyone here is, while reading that article online, about 10 seconds away from getting millions of other opinions on the subject.

Or the fact that he repeatedly refers to "the poor" as if they are one bloc.

I'd love to have an hour long discussion with him to clear all this up, and maybe inject the idea that one way to get through to "the poor" is to treat them like individuals, as opposed to lumping them into a group for the purpose of crying about other people lumping them into a group.

He's right. We are raised to believe the mainstream media is largely reliable. Very few people understand that isn't the case. Poor people moreso, and less likely to have access to alternatives, and education necessary to evaluate bias, corroboration, chain of evidence, and the like.

Where he's arguably wrong in the article he isn't teaming with government officials to sponsor legislation. He is reaching a massive audience of people who will listen to him and giving them great ideas on an important subject. Unfortunately celebrities are given too much credence for their opinions on complicated subjects of which they have no expertise. This is not one of those cases. Guy knows what he's talking about.

tod evans
08-18-2014, 08:12 AM

So, you disagree with Rand and Ron Paul when they speak about the unequal administration of justice and the obvious racial component that skews our legal system?

Where did DFF make the assertion that "justice" played any part in how the black community comports itself?

Best thing that could happen for all people is to totally disband the justice department(s), state and federal.

LibertyEagle
08-18-2014, 08:25 AM
He's right. We are raised to believe the mainstream media is largely reliable. Very few people understand that isn't the case. Poor people moreso, and less likely to have access to alternatives, and education necessary to evaluate bias, corroboration, chain of evidence, and the like.

Where he's arguably wrong in the article he isn't teaming with government officials to sponsor legislation. He is reaching a massive audience of people who will listen to him and giving them great ideas on an important subject. Unfortunately celebrities are given too much credence for their opinions on complicated subjects of which they have no expertise. This is not one of those cases. Guy knows what he's talking about.

Oh, cry me a river, nayjevin. Most everyone has "access" to education. But, they will have to show up and study too. Amazing as it seems. They will have to expend effort to learn.

LibertyEagle
08-18-2014, 08:31 AM
I just think it's amazing that he was such an inspiring athlete, and now writes this, which is clearly a powerful and focused opinion piece which weaves history and includes relevant current events. In other words actual journalism from someone unexpected, in a time where actual journalism is sorely lacking from professional journalists.

I read this and wished I could write that well.

Those who wish to remain purists and live in a fantasy utopia that no one can cooperate or appreciate anyone that doesn't share their views 100% will remain unhappy and uneffective in the real world. Ron Paul set the bar by endorsing third party candidates and outlining issues which we can agree. Rand Paul is carrying on these principles of cooperation with people with whom he has other disagreements.

My way or the highway is just poor policy in life, for instance those Ferguson police officers who have been problematic, authoritarians in government. That's why I support Rand Paul, and Kareem.

Yes, yes, it's so wise to believe that government is the way, the truth, and the light. That if they "got more done", everything would be all rosy. :rolleyes: The fact is, that nearly all of the overall economic problems in our country right now were caused by our government doing something. So, we actually need the government to do much LESS; not more as Kareem ignorantly suggests.

Rather than uniting to face the real foe—do-nothing politicians, legislators, and others in power—

America's poor aren't "held back". But, it is a handy excuse of those who want to blame someone else for the sorry state of their lives. The only one who can change the situation is you. If you don't like your life, get off your hind end and better it. But, it will take work. It probably will also require doing without some things like big screen tvs, I-Phones and other non-essential objects to focus on long-term goals. It might also be a good idea for those who believe they are "held back" to not keep voting for politicians whose goal is to increase the size and scope of government.

thoughtomator
08-18-2014, 08:53 AM

I strongly disagree. They have been the subjects of massive, wholly invasive experimentation by the US government for a century (at least).

They are in that condition because government specifically intervened time and time again to put them there. That condition is the epitome of the outcome of feel-good progressivism.

Libertarians, who feel our rights are being abused by an overweening government, need to understand that these inner city often black communities represent the people who have had the worst of government abuse in America. Rather than throwing them under the bus we should be the first ones by their side and the last to leave it.

AuH20
08-18-2014, 08:55 AM
Kareem can't even get his facts right. Sheesh. Sounds like another soul trapped in the left/right whirlwind.

But that’s not the case with the multitude of millionaires and billionaires who lobby to reduce Food Stamps, give no relief to the burden of student debt on our young, and kill extensions of unemployment benefits.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/31/walmart-food-stamps_n_4181862.html

http://www.republicreport.org/2012/how-big-corporations-cash-in-on-food-assistance-programs/

LibertyEagle
08-18-2014, 11:05 AM
I strongly disagree. They have been the subjects of massive, wholly invasive experimentation by the US government for a century (at least).

They are in that condition because government specifically intervened time and time again to put them there. That condition is the epitome of the outcome of feel-good progressivism.

Libertarians, who feel our rights are being abused by an overweening government, need to understand that these inner city often black communities represent the people who have had the worst of government abuse in America. Rather than throwing them under the bus we should be the first ones by their side and the last to leave it.

No one is throwing them under the bus. But, they need to start taking responsibility for their own lives. Until they shed the victim-mentality, they will remain powerless.

nayjevin
08-18-2014, 11:10 AM
Yes, yes, it's so wise to believe that government is the way, the truth, and the light.

You have to mischaracterize to make your point, sign of a weak argument.

That if they "got more done", everything would be all rosy. :rolleyes:

Where was that said? Putting words in other's mouths is very childish.

The fact is, that nearly all of the overall economic problems in our country right now were caused by our government doing something.

Red herring. True, but irrelevant, as you are arguing against a non-existent claim. I get it though, you believe all black people with opinions are the same, and your reading comprehension suffers as a result.

So, we actually need the government to do much LESS; not more as Kareem ignorantly suggests.

Your ignorance displayed here is unmatched.

He calls for clear and united goals.

[America's poor aren't "held back".[/quote]

Yes they are, and you can continue to be blind to it, thinking we're still in the roaring 20's. But your opinion is not the reality, and the future of our country depends on the youth, who understand that position is antiquated.

But, it is a handy excuse of those who want to blame someone else for the sorry state of their lives.

Right. I'm sure you have a good grasp of the difficulties of inner city life, poverty.

The only one who can change the situation is you.

What situation? The ones that Rand Paul is trying to change? Like where it is absurdly difficult for a felon to get a job? Even if the charge was selling a plant 30 years ago when the Great American Ronald Reagan was ramping up a failed war on drugs? Get real.

If you don't like your life, get off your hind end and better it.

Who are you talking to?

But, it will take work.

American dream fallacy. Political suicide, not based on reality.

It probably will also require doing without some things like big screen tvs, I-Phones and other non-essential objects to focus on long-term goals.

You are clearly a collectivist. I'd bet you're imagining a souped up ride and baggy pants as you write that. Racism is an ugly form of collectivism.

Study Ron Paul and come back when you grow up.

It might also be a good idea for those who believe they are "held back" to not keep voting for politicians whose goal is to increase the size and scope of government.

So you've decided to look for solutions now, as Kareem suggests. From an important position of expertise and with vast audience. I make his audience a bit bigger posting it here. You promote racism.

LibertyEagle
08-18-2014, 11:50 AM
You have to mischaracterize to make your point, sign of a weak argument.

Where was that said? Putting words in other's mouths is very childish.
I quoted it in my response, nay. What was that you just said about mischaracterizing? Go look in the mirror, bud.

Here it is again.

Rather than uniting to face the real foe—do-nothing politicians, legislators, and others in power—

Red herring. True, but irrelevant, as you are arguing against a non-existent claim.
lol. I already showed above where it came from.

I get it though, you believe all black people with opinions are the same, and your reading comprehension suffers as a result.
Who was it that just said, "Red Herring"? lol. It's funny that you mention reading comprehension, when everything you have blathered thus far as been because of your apparent lack thereof.

Your ignorance displayed here is unmatched.
Are you seriously a Moderator, with that mouth of yours?

He calls for clear and united goals.
Yeah, he wants more stuff.

From the article...

Yes, I’m aware that it is unfair to paint the wealthiest with such broad strokes. There are a number of super-rich people who are also super-supportive of their community. Humbled by their own success, they reach out to help others. But that’s not the case with the multitude of millionaires and billionaires who lobby to reduce Food Stamps, give no relief to the burden of student debt on our young, and kill extensions of unemployment benefits.

NO ONE is responsible for handing over their wealth to another. NO ONE. What Ron Paul wanted was to remove the special government perks to EVERYONE alike. So that each of us would be able to keep the fruits of our labor. He never once said that he wanted government to give you the fruits of someone else's labor.

America's poor aren't "held back".

Yes they are, and you can continue to be blind to it, thinking we're still in the roaring 20's. But your opinion is not the reality, and the future of our country depends on the youth, who understand that position is antiquated.
Listen, Nay, I realized some time back that you are a huge leftist, but don't try to push this crap on a forum bearing Ron Paul's name.

Right. I'm sure you have a good grasp of the difficulties of inner city life, poverty.
I grasp that the only one who can help you, is you. Those who don't take responsibility for their own lives will forever remain victims.

What situation? The ones that Rand Paul is trying to change? Like where it is absurdly difficult for a felon to get a job? Even if the charge was selling a plant 30 years ago when the Great American Ronald Reagan was ramping up a failed war on drugs? Get real.
Those people looting in Missouri are not currently in jail. However, here's to hoping they will be soon. They earned it.

As far as the stupid drug laws, we agree on that.

Who are you talking to?
I'm talking to all those who are sitting on their ass, blaming someone else for their lot in life.

American dream fallacy. Political suicide, not based on reality.
Oh, so you don't think succeeding requires work? Interesting.

You are clearly a collectivist. I'd bet you're imagining a souped up ride and baggy pants as you write that. Racism is an ugly form of collectivism.
Nope, but you clearly are. lol

Study Ron Paul and come back when you grow up.
On the contrary, I'm pretty confident that Ron Paul would be astounded with the ignorance of what you posted in this thread.

So you've decided to look for solutions now, as Kareem suggests. From an important position of expertise and with vast audience. I make his audience a bit bigger posting it here. You promote racism.

Kareem was doing the blame game. Or did you forget?
From the article...

Yes, I’m aware that it is unfair to paint the wealthiest with such broad strokes. There are a number of super-rich people who are also super-supportive of their community. Humbled by their own success, they reach out to help others. But that’s not the case with the multitude of millionaires and billionaires who lobby to reduce Food Stamps, give no relief to the burden of student debt on our young, and kill extensions of unemployment benefits.

JK/SEA
08-18-2014, 12:58 PM
No one is throwing them under the bus. But, they need to start taking responsibility for their own lives. Until they shed the victim-mentality, they will remain powerless.

who is 'they'...?

RPF members?

LibertyEagle
08-18-2014, 01:23 PM
who is 'they'...?

RPF members?

ANYONE blaming others for their lot in life. Read the article.

dillo
08-18-2014, 03:57 PM
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/08/what-i-did-after-police-killed-my-son-110038.html#.U_J2mGOKWSp

In 129 years since police and fire commissions were created in the state of Wisconsin, we could not find a single ruling by a police department, an inquest or a police commission that a shooting was unjustified. There was one shooting we found, in 2005, that was ruled justified by the department and an inquest, but additional evidence provided by citizens caused the DA to charge the officer. The city of Milwaukee settled with a confidentiality agreement and the facts of that sealed. The officer involved committed suicide.

saw this today

nayjevin
08-18-2014, 05:41 PM
who is 'they'...?

RPF members?

ANYONE blaming others for their lot in life. Read the article.

Oh I see so whenever you think about black people you think it's your job to start teaching people how to 'pull themselves up by their bootstraps.'

And I'm sure Ferguson is a 'looting problem' to you too.

LibertyEagle
08-18-2014, 05:46 PM
Oh I see so whenever you think about black people you think it's your job to start teaching people how to 'pull themselves up by their bootstraps.'

And I'm sure Ferguson is a 'looting problem' to you too.

You are the one who keeps boiling this down to a "black" issue. Not I. Be careful, nay, someone may call you a racist.

nayjevin
08-18-2014, 05:46 PM
If you have a million dollars and can lobby for one thing, and you choose to cut programs that help people who need it, you are part of the problem. Kareem is right.

Stop senseless, legitimized murder first.

Or take food from kids because you think 'black people' aren't responsible.

LibertyEagle
08-18-2014, 05:55 PM
More from the poor and downtrodden. Maybe if food stamps are increased and student loans are forgiven, these individuals will stop looting. :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UaIywvhvQU#t=33

LibertyEagle
08-18-2014, 05:58 PM
If you have a million dollars and can lobby for one thing, and you choose to cut programs that help people who need it, you are part of the problem. Kareem is right.

Stop senseless, legitimized murder first.

Or take food from kids because you think 'black people' aren't responsible.

What in the ever loving hell are you talking about? Who is taking food from kids?

My bet is that you are going to use twisted leftist rhetoric to imply that if money isn't taken from one person's pocket and put into another's, it's "taking food from kids". But, let's see.

AuH20
08-18-2014, 06:00 PM
What in the ever loving hell are you talking about? Who is taking food from kids?

My bet is that you are going to use twisted leftist rhetoric to imply that if money isn't taken from one person's pocket and put into another's, it's "taking food from kids". But, let's see.

I think it could be characterized as a racist statement if one truly thinks that black folks are immediately going to starve if denied government assistance. Wouldn't you agree? So the race hustlers are essentially telling me that black people as a whole are not resourceful or industrious? If so that's David Duke territory.

LibertyEagle
08-18-2014, 06:01 PM
I think it could be characterized as a racist statement if you think black folks are immediately going to starve if denied government assistance? Wouldn't you agree?

Absolutely.

AuH20
08-18-2014, 06:06 PM
Absolutely.

So there we have it. Racism that has become entrenched policy in the hallowed halls of Congress.

LibertyEagle
08-18-2014, 06:09 PM
So there we have it. Racism that has become entrenched policy in the hallowed halls of Congress.

Absolutely and here, by some, on RPFs too.

phill4paul
08-18-2014, 06:17 PM
PULL YOURSELF UP BY YOUR BOOTSTRAPS!

http://blog.cyclegreateryellowstone.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/school-marm.jpg

O.K....

http://atlantablackstar.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/black-man-prison.jpg

Cut the shit L.E. You are ignorant if you don't understand the factors involved. In fact you ARE ignorant. For you have never lived it.

nayjevin
08-18-2014, 06:19 PM
You are the one who keeps boiling this down to a "black" issue. Not I. Be careful, nay, someone may call you a racist.

I don't 'keep' making it about race - I am forced to address your racist comments ever since you posted in this thread - from your very first post you've shown this is just another of many tired cases where you see something about a black man and turn it into a conversation about people who need to 'get off their ass.'

Here's the quote I laughingly thought of as soon as I'd seen that you posted in this thread:

we have to address the situation not just as another act of systemic racism

LibertyEagle
08-18-2014, 06:20 PM
So, it's the man's fault if you are breaking into private property and looting and torching them? Interesting. Do tell.

AuH20
08-18-2014, 06:20 PM
Absolutely and here, by some, on RPFs too.

They can't have it both ways. Either Black Americans are genetically inferior and incapable of merely surviving without assistance OR it's been frankly a crock of shit all along. I'm guessing the latter. You would be surprised how human beings respond to challenges.

LibertyEagle
08-18-2014, 06:23 PM
I don't 'keep' making it about race - I am forced to address your racist comments ever since you posted in this thread - from your very first post you've shown this is just another of many tired cases where you see something about a black man and turn it into a conversation about people who need to 'get off their ass.'

Here's the quote I laughingly thought of as soon as I'd seen that you posted in this thread:

Nah, you keep doing your best to make it about race. It doesn't matter to me what race the looters are. I would condemn it, regardless of race. You, on the other hand, are just making excuses for it.

It's very unfortunate that the looting is going on. Because they are deflecting from what should be the focus and that is the federal government's militarization of the local police. Can you not see that to a whole lot of people, you know, voters, that when they see the looting and burning, it only justifies the police having all that crap?

JK/SEA
08-18-2014, 06:25 PM
ok..great..have we got this race bullshit out of our system?..

any word on the drug test of the cop yet?

NorthCarolinaLiberty
08-18-2014, 06:27 PM
any word on the drug test of the cop yet?

Maybe steroids?

nayjevin
08-18-2014, 06:28 PM
Kids benefit from foodstamps.

If foodstamps end tomorrow, kids will have had food taken from them.

If you are a lobbyist, and you are choosing to lobby to end foodstamps (or you are hiring lobbyists to do so), then you are trying to be the driving force behind taking food from children.

------------

Ideally everyone can have satisfying, fulfilling life-work that provides for themselves and their children. Ideally government is not involved. But REALITY: government is involved. In both welfare and warfare.

Have fun alienating people with your desire to end welfare while you turn a blind eye to warfare.

And change every conversation about Ferguson to racism and looting.

JK/SEA
08-18-2014, 06:29 PM
Maybe steroids?

cocktail...roids and meth..

nayjevin
08-18-2014, 06:31 PM
It doesn't matter to me what race the looters are.

Just so long as we're talking about looters instead of Kareem's excellent article, which you are condemning.

Because you are racist.

JK/SEA
08-18-2014, 06:31 PM

If you are a lobbyist, and you are choosing to lobby to end foodstamps (or you are hiring lobbyists to do so), then you are trying to be the driving force behind taking food from children.

------------

Ideally everyone can have satisfying, fulfilling life-work that provides for themselves and their children. Ideally government is not involved. But REALITY: government is involved. In both welfare and warfare.

Have fun alienating people with your desire to end welfare while you turn a blind eye to warfare.

the food stamp issue trumps a cop shooting a dumb kid...for some in here thats for sure..

NorthCarolinaLiberty
08-18-2014, 06:33 PM
cocktail...roids and meth..

Brown's PCP and Colt 45 will generate much better cocktail party discussion.

phill4paul
08-18-2014, 06:34 PM
Can you not see that to a whole lot of people, you know, voters, that when they see the looting and burning, it only justifies the police having all that crap?

Bankers and fascist corporate C.E.O's loot and burn all the time. They usually get a bonus in the bargain.

JK/SEA
08-18-2014, 06:34 PM
Brown's PCP and Colt 45 will generate much better cocktail party discussion.

most likely in the Governor Mansion...

AuH20
08-18-2014, 06:35 PM

------------

Who here is advocating for warfare? I think our military budget should be cut in half. Do I hate the children of veterans? LOL

AuH20
08-18-2014, 06:36 PM
Bankers and fascist corporate C.E.O's loot and burn all the time. They usually get a bonus in the bargain.

One act of looting doesn't justify another......

AuH20

JK/SEA
Who here is advocating for warfare? I think our military budget should be cut in half. Do I hate the children of veterans? LOL

pretty sure the point is about PRIORITIES.....

AuH20
08-18-2014, 06:39 PM

Yes, spending what we take in. And we have to cut a pct of social programs to get there we do so. There is no silver bullet solution where the social programs stay intact. Math doesn't work. You could theoretically gut the entire DoD and you'd still have to cut. That's how far out of hand the budget & legacy costs have become.

JK/SEA
08-18-2014, 06:40 PM

when was the last time you railed on about bankers for 3 days?

UWDude
08-18-2014, 06:40 PM
More from the poor and downtrodden. Maybe if food stamps are increased and student loans are forgiven, these individuals will stop looting. :rolleyes:

Maybe if police were fired and charged for killing unarmed people, they would stop murdering.

Cry about the looting? That's fucking junk from the store, and a red herring. What happened is yet again an unarmed man was murdered by police, and yet again, we will get to wait for the facts and find out sure enough, the cop was justified, and no cop will serve jail time. No cop ever really has.

Modern day lynchings everyday, and people boo hoo about looting and rioting.

JK/SEA
08-18-2014, 06:41 PM
Yes, spending what we take in. And we have to cut a pct of social programs to get there we do so. There is no silver bullet solution where the social programs stay intact. Math doesn't work.

so, if you had a choice...would you feed poor people with food stamps, or spend 10 billion on cruise missiles?

NorthCarolinaLiberty
08-18-2014, 06:41 PM

One act of looting doesn't justify more attention than another act of looting.

AuH20
08-18-2014, 06:42 PM
so, if you had a choice...would you feed poor people with food stamps, or spend 10 billion on cruise missiles?

Feed people. But it's not that simple. That choice passed us years ago due to gross mismanagement. You have to cut both the food stamps AND the cruise missiles. Why do you think Ron Paul and others are screaming on the rooftops about our debt? It's because we are rapidly closing in on a point of critical mass that we will not be able to selectively choose what we cut.

JK/SEA
08-18-2014, 06:43 PM
Feed people. But it's not that simple. That choice passed us years ago. You have to cut both the food stamps AND the cruise missiles.

yes...it is that simple. Starving people in this country is tantamount to genocide.

dillo
08-18-2014, 06:45 PM
Its amazing how easy it is to avoid the actual issue(police accountability, abuse of power, criminal justice system in general) with race. Once race gets brought in, all logic seems to go out the window

AuH20
08-18-2014, 06:46 PM
yes...it is that simple. Starving people in this country is tantamount to genocide.

You'd think they would starve? How much food do we waste?

JK/SEA
08-18-2014, 06:48 PM

i dunno...tell me..

phill4paul
08-18-2014, 06:58 PM
Feed people. But it's not that simple. That choice passed us years ago due to gross mismanagement. You have to cut both the food stamps AND the cruise missiles. Why do you think Ron Paul and others are screaming on the rooftops about our debt? It's because we are rapidly closing in on a point of critical mass that we will not be able to selectively choose what we cut.

I'm pretty sure Ron called for phasing out food stamps. Cruise missile? Not so much. See? He gets what you and L.E. do not.

LibForestPaul
08-18-2014, 07:20 PM

U don't get it. If you pick up a book, and read about history, you will find there has always existed classes that were kept down. They are the way they are because they have been played. They fill a role that those in power require.

LibertyEagle
08-18-2014, 07:52 PM

No, it's not. Nay is deflecting, because he lost the argument.

Two wrongs don't make a right. It is possible to be against wars that have 0 to do with our national defense AND also be against stealing from one person's pocket to put in another's.

LibertyEagle
08-18-2014, 07:54 PM
Just so long as we're talking about looters instead of Kareem's excellent article, which you are condemning.

Because you are racist.

lolol. There you go again. Yet, it is you who keep making this a race issue, rather than one of an individual's choice of behavior.

For some reason, you seem to insist on grouping all blacks in one big lump and proclaim them unable to subsist without government handouts. How racist of you.

Feeding the Abscess
08-18-2014, 08:16 PM

Oh, so we're using aggregate economic models now?

Ok.

Learn to econ, bro. Food can be wasted and people can go hungry in the same country. Similarly, there can be a labor shortage and large quantities of unemployment. It's not hard to fathom how those things can happen.

JK/SEA
08-18-2014, 08:20 PM
No, it's not. Nay is deflecting, because he lost the argument.

Two wrongs don't make a right. It is possible to be against wars that have 0 to do with our national defense AND also be against stealing from one person's pocket to put in another's.

yep..lots of deflecting these days. Mostly by copsuckers.

LibertyEagle
08-18-2014, 08:24 PM
U don't get it. If you pick up a book, and read about history, you will find there has always existed classes that were kept down. They are the way they are because they have been played. They fill a role that those in power require.

Then you try harder and get yourself out of the rut. Look, the same thing happened to Indians, to the Irish, to Jews, etc. But, the answer isn't to sit back and blame everyone for your situation. That doesn't solve a thing and most certainly doesn't better your life. Life never has been and never will be equal. What used to be different about this country is that you could work your ass off and lift yourself up. Each generation's parents tried to leave their kids with something, so that their lives might be a little bit better than their own and to instill integrity and a good work ethic in them. The problem is that the government has been making it more and more difficult to strike out on your own, start a business and keep the fruits of your labor. When that is gone, we are totally in chains.

Now, it just seems like the meme is to blame everyone else for your lot in life and take no responsibility whatsoever. Even using it as a justification for looting and burning someone else's private property. I hope this idea is not something that is common with the current youth, because if it is, there is no hope.

Don't let them make you a victim!!

JK/SEA
08-18-2014, 08:28 PM
Then you try harder and get yourself out of the rut. Look, the same thing happened to Indians, to the Irish, to Jews, etc. But, the answer isn't to sit back and blame everyone for your situation. That doesn't solve a thing and most certainly doesn't better your life. Life never has been and never will be equal. What used to be different about this country is that you could work your ass off and lift yourself up. Each generation's parents tried to leave their kids with something, so that their lives might be a little bit better than their own and to instill integrity and a good work ethic in them.

Now, it just seems like the meme is to blame everyone else for your lot in life and take no responsibility whatsoever. Even using it as a justification for looting and burning someone else's private property. I hope this idea is not something that is common with the current youth, because if it is, there is no hope.

black history is interesting. Ever read anything on it?

LibertyEagle
08-18-2014, 08:31 PM
black history is interesting. Ever read anything on it?

Sure.

I also have some friends, who happen to be black, who make six figure salaries. I guess they didn't agree with Nay's downtrodden, can't do it without gummit help, meme. Their daughter just started med school. They didn't instill in her Nay's meme, either.

AuH20
08-18-2014, 08:34 PM
Then you try harder and get yourself out of the rut. Look, the same thing happened to Indians, to the Irish, to Jews, etc. But, the answer isn't to sit back and blame everyone for your situation. That doesn't solve a thing and most certainly doesn't better your life. Life never has been and never will be equal. What used to be different about this country is that you could work your ass off and lift yourself up. Each generation's parents tried to leave their kids with something, so that their lives might be a little bit better than their own and to instill integrity and a good work ethic in them. The problem is that the government has been making it more and more difficult to strike out on your own, start a business and keep the fruits of your labor. When that is gone, we are totally in chains.

It sounds harsh but no one can dig themselves of that hole but themselves ultimately. This is a universal truth. And the longer that we delay this, we are acting as enablers to personal destruction because the safety net will not be here forever. In fact, it could be completely gone in 3 to 5 years at the current accelerating rate. We need to get as many people off the lifeboat before it permanently sinks.

Now that's not to say that we can't help to ease the transition in other ways outside of the government social engineering schemes. But insanity is doing the same thing over and over again & expecting different results. There seem to be many proponents of insanity last I checked.

JK/SEA
08-18-2014, 08:37 PM
It sounds harsh but no one can dig themselves of that hole but themselves ultimately. This is a universal truth. And the longer that we delay this, we are acting as enablers to personal destruction because the safety net will not be here forever. In fact, it could be completely gone in 3 to 5 year at the accelerating rate. Now that's not to say that we can't help in other ways outside of the government social engineering schemes.

so, whats your final solution?

kahless
08-18-2014, 08:39 PM
Then you try harder and get yourself out of the rut. Look, the same thing happened to Indians, to the Irish, to Jews, etc. But, the answer isn't to sit back and blame everyone for your situation. That doesn't solve a thing and most certainly doesn't better your life. Life never has been and never will be equal. What used to be different about this country is that you could work your ass off and lift yourself up. Each generation's parents tried to leave their kids with something, so that their lives might be a little bit better than their own and to instill integrity and a good work ethic in them.

That was true in the past but now the mountain of federal, state and local government regulations do not allow it. We have now surpassed the Soviet Union in this respect and I am seeing it in my life time effecting me directly. Entrepreneurs are screwed by state and federal government 50 different ways that makes it impossible to compete with the government preferred competition and the preferred monopolies.

The federal, state and local government, the police and the courts is completely corrupt at this point. It is so over.

LibertyEagle
08-18-2014, 08:40 PM

Do you seriously believe that able-bodied individuals are completely unable to make it in life without a government nanny?

Is this still RonPaulForums? I feel like I must be on Democratic Underground.

LibertyEagle
08-18-2014, 08:42 PM
That was true in the past but now the mountain of federal, state and local government regulations do not allow it. We have now surpassed the Soviet Union in this respect and I am seeing it in my life time effecting me directly. Entrepreneurs are screwed by state and federal government 50 different ways that makes it impossible to compete with the government preferred competition and the preferred monopolies.

The federal, state and local government, the police and the courts is completely corrupt at this point. It is so over.

Yeah, it's getting worse. That's for sure. But, in my opinion, we should be fighting against THAT, instead of just throwing in the towel and saying, oh government, I cannot live without you. If this is what we have become, what the hell are we doing on this forum? Because we no longer stand for what we claimed to stand for when we first gathered here.

kahless
08-18-2014, 08:43 PM
Do you seriously believe that able-bodied individuals are completely unable to make it in life without a government nanny?

Unless something is done about the national monopolies controlling everything this country is going to devolve into a various local civil wars.

LibertyEagle
08-18-2014, 08:46 PM
Unless something is done about the national monopolies controlling everything this country is going to devolve into a various local civil wars.

Huh? You want the federal government to break up "monopolies"? Personally, I just want the crony-capitalism to be completely ended and for government to get the hell out of the way. We can take it from there.

Brian4Liberty
08-18-2014, 08:47 PM

"Ferguson is not just about systemic racism—it's about class warfare, and how America's poor are held back"

I read the whole article. He had some good points. I especially like his idea that this doesn't have to be about race. Unfortunately, he then goes on to spend far too much time on race in his article.

I also agree with his assessment that the media is controlled. And when it comes to the general public, their opinions are shaped by one minute soundbites from the mainstream media, or for the relatively more enlightened people, there is extended propaganda-entertainment, such as John Oliver, whom he references in the article. They rarely dig any deeper than that though. In that sense, they are controlled. With the advent of the internet, there is much more political information available, but most people would rather use the internet to find out more about their favorite celebrity.

Are the poor kept down? Yes, and no. They are kept down by the Big Mommy politicians who claim to want to help them, but in reality want them kept in their useful, and needful, positions. There is certainly opportunity, but people can be conditioned to not "do for themselves", and instead be dependent upon government, and the non-governmental-charlatans.

kahless
08-18-2014, 08:51 PM
Huh? You want the federal government to break up "monopolies"? Personally, I just want the crony-capitalism to be completely ended and for government to get the hell out of the way. We can take it from there.

I agree. Free trade and tax breaks only for specific businesses I do not agree with nor do I agree with setting the investment or licensing bar so high that small business is unable to compete.

I believe deregulation can happen immediately and a long term transition from social programs.

JK/SEA
08-18-2014, 08:54 PM

i guess everyting is just all black and white to you then.....

you propose ending welfare and foodstamps immediately?...or a phase out?....how long will this be?...there would need to be more jobs. How long will it take to gain enough employed people to get you satisfied?...

Seems simple enough right?...meanwhile, all we get here in RPF is ranting about gang bangers, welfare, drugs, baggy pants, petty theft...a kid is dead. The people of this country are waking up to the fact we are in a 'veiled' Police State....Time is running out. Time for real action. Not bitching about people through (mostly) no fault of their own in their economic struggles...yeah..too bad we can't all be born with high IQ'S and a trust fund, and your definition of how to suceed in life, but i'm sorry...life doesn't work that way...or do you care?

Lets focus on the killing. My opinion is the cop should go down, but i'm just an old, dumb white guy who hasn't a clue what its like to be a Native American, a Jew..or a Black person in Police State U.S.A.

kahless
08-18-2014, 08:55 PM
I read the whole article. He had some good points. I especially like his idea that this doesn't have to be about race. Unfortunately, he then goes on to spend far too much time on race in his article.

I also agree with his assessment that the media is controlled. And when it comes to the general public, their opinions are shaped by one minute soundbites from the mainstream media, or for the relatively more enlightened people, there is extended propaganda-entertainment, such as John Oliver, whom he references in the article. They rarely dig any deeper than that though. In that sense, they are controlled. With the advent of the internet, there is much more political information available, but most people would rather use the internet to find out more about their favorite celebrity.

Are the poor kept down? Yes, and no. They are kept down by the Big Mommy politicians who claim to want to help them, but in reality want them kept in their useful, and needful, positions. There is certainly opportunity, but people can be conditioned to not "do for themselves", and instead be dependent upon government, and the non-governmental-charlatans.

You have a conversation with anyone outside of these forums and you see the impact of the completely corrupt media. It totally amazes me that the US does not have one national all news channel with broad reach that simply just reports the facts. Just try to tell a partisan MSNBC or Foxnews viewer than more than half of what they hear on the channel is false.

AuH20
08-18-2014, 08:56 PM

Getting as many people away from the wake of the sinking ship. The ship is going down. This is an incontrovertible fact. Now we can argue about why the ship is going down and over what can't be scuttled, but if you don't have a contingency plan in place all these arguments are moot. I'm of the mind that the remaining funds should be directed towards civilization preservation teams which would place an emphasis on the agricultural sciences, metallurgy, energy production and a host of other critical skills in a Post-Pax Americana world.

Brian4Liberty
08-18-2014, 09:04 PM
You have a conversation with anyone outside of these forums and you see the impact of the completely corrupt media. It totally amazes me that the US does not have one national all news channel with broad reach that simply just reports the facts. Just try to tell a partisan MSNBC or Foxnews viewer than more than half of what they hear on the channel is false.

It is shocking. I recently enlightened a local Chamber of Commerce member who questioned me about the "Tea Party" screwing up Republican races. He was shocked when he learned what the US CoC is really up to behind the scenes. He is a regular Fox News viewer, but that is just as low-information as a MSNBC viewer.

JK/SEA
08-18-2014, 09:04 PM
Getting as many people away from the wake of the sinking ship. The ship is going down. This is an inconvertible fact. Now we can argue about why the ship is going down and over what can't be scuttled, but if you don't have a contingency plan in place all these arguments are moot. I'm of the mind that the remaining funds should be directed towards civilization preservation teams which would place an emphasis on the agricultural sciences, metallurgy, energy production and a host of other critical skills in a Post-Pax Americana world.

never happen.

better to let it go organically, and try and not make the same mistakes during re-construction.

AuH20
08-18-2014, 09:07 PM
never happen.

better to let it go organically, and try and not make the same mistakes during re-construction.

You just summed how our esteemed political class deals with problems. Not a single finger will be lifted to avert this crisis, of course until it is over.

JK/SEA
08-18-2014, 09:21 PM
You just summed how our esteemed political class deals with problems. Not a single finger will be lifted to avert this crisis, of course until it is over.

frankly, i think its the way it will go down regardless of how much you want instant results.

LibertyEagle
08-18-2014, 10:11 PM
i guess everyting is just all black and white to you then.....
When it comes to those looting and burning private property, yeah, pretty much.

you propose ending welfare and foodstamps immediately?...or a phase out?....how long will this be?...there would need to be more jobs. How long will it take to gain enough employed people to get you satisfied?...
I never said immediately. The same thing I said about Social Security; much to the chagrin of some here who wanted it ended right damn now.

Seems simple enough right?...meanwhile, all we get here in RPF is ranting about gang bangers, welfare, drugs, baggy pants, petty theft...a kid is dead. The people of this country are waking up to the fact we are in a 'veiled' Police State....Time is running out. Time for real action. Not bitching about people through (mostly) no fault of their own in their economic struggles...yeah..too bad we can't all be born with high IQ'S and a trust fund, and your definition of how to suceed in life, but i'm sorry...life doesn't work that way...or do you care?

Yeah, life does work that way. Sucks, doesn't it? Before too long, crying about how terrible it is that Mr. X over there has more money than you, isn't going to cut it. There won't be any more goodies to suck off of the gummit teat. What are people going to do then? Oh, I forgot. Start looting you and everyone else.

Bullshit on your "mostly no fault of their own in their economic struggles". Hell yes, if someone is able-bodied and instead of busting their ass, is sitting on it and blaming everyone else, even looting them, then they are a sorry POS. Get out of the victim mentality. What we want is to stop government interference; we certainly don't want more of it. Don't you see that it is government that wants you sucking at the teat?

Lets focus on the killing. My opinion is the cop should go down, but i'm just an old, dumb white guy who hasn't a clue what its like to be a Native American, a Jew..or a Black person in Police State U.S.A.
I would like to know all the facts first. We don't, at this point.

Just like I thought we needed to find out who actually attacked us on 9-11, before starting to bomb everyone and their dog.

nayjevin
08-18-2014, 10:16 PM
Great thread proud of you LE good job you make life better.

LibertyEagle
08-18-2014, 10:19 PM
//

Todd
08-19-2014, 03:16 PM
I can't help but fear that when Kareem says "do nothing politicians" and "promotes economic equality and opportunity" what he really means is that we need "better politicians" who will give more goodies and handouts...not that we need to quit giving public authority figures more control over our lives.

The Central issues of Ferguson for me are this:

1. You and I have ZERO impact on public policy. http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/08/12/Study-You-Have-Near-Zero-Impact-on-U-S-Policy . NO ONE, regardless of class, race, creed..... has the ability to effect social change in this country. If you are not part of the Ultra ruling class in this country you are not free to effect real change. Peaceful protests are highly discouraged.

2. People in Power (Government) are never liable for bad decisions, Deaths, or the unforseen economic turmoil they cause. The Police Chief for Ferguson will probably never go to jail or be held accountable, nor will the Mayor. Most officers who perpetrate unlawful killings never answer for it. The officer in Ferguson might... he'll be the exception to the rule because of gravity of media exposure of the incident

Yeah...the poorer people and racial minorities get the brunt of this policy but that's incidental to the over arching goal of controlling others.

Unfortunately, the Ferguson incident will probably end up being diverted into a complete racial issue instead of one that galvanizes the average American's across the spectrum against the real issue. Which is the militarization of our police forces, the corruption of most every public institution That's too bad.