PDA

View Full Version : Deputy Who Killed Andy Lopez Returning to Patrol

Brian4Liberty
08-16-2014, 02:06 PM
Protests, but no riots.

Erick Gelhaus, the Sonoma County sheriff's deputy who killed 13-year-old Andy Lopez when he mistook his replica pellet rifle for an AK-47 assault rifle, is returning to patrol duty next week.

Sheriff's Sgt. Cecile Focha confirmed Gelhaus's return to duty "one day next week."

Gelhaus was placed on paid administrative leave immediately after the Oct. 22, 2013 shooting at Moorland and West Robles avenues just outside southwest Santa Rosa city limits.

On Dec. 10 Gelhaus returned to work in an "administrative capacity" at the sheriff's Santa Rosa headquarters. Focha said it will be up to the duty sergeant each day to assign Gelhaus to one of the zones in unincorporated Sonoma County.

The decision to return Gelhaus to work outside the sheriff's office's building was reached by Sheriff Steve Freitas and administrative management, Focha said.

Community members, who have been protesting since the fatal shooting, plan to protest Gelhaus' return to patrol work at 1 p.m. Saturday at the sheriff's headquarters at 2796 Ventura Ave. in Santa Rosa.

Michael Rothenberg, a member of the Justice Coalition for Andy Lopez and 100,000 Poets For Change, called returning Gelhaus to patrol duties "a complete insult to people in the community.

"It is completely lacking in sensitivity to put a man who has killed a child back into a patrol car. We don't want this," Rothenberg said.

Sonoma County District Attorney Jill Ravitch investigated the shooting and on July 7 she announced criminal charges will not be filed against 48-year-old Gelhaus.

Ravitch called the fatal shooting "absolutely tragic" but said Gelhaus' actions were lawful.
Lopez was hit by seven of the eight shots that Gelhaus fired and died at the scene.
More:
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Sonoma-County-Sheriffs-Deputy-Who-Killed-Andy-Lopez-Returning-to-Patrol-271464331.html

phill4paul
08-16-2014, 02:27 PM
Of course he was....yawn. 'MuriKa. <belch>

Suzanimal
08-16-2014, 04:37 PM
Sonoma County District Attorney Jill Ravitch investigated the shooting and on July 7 she announced criminal charges will not be filed against 48-year-old Gelhaus.

Ravitch called the fatal shooting "absolutely tragic" but said Gelhaus' actions were lawful.

So shooting a kid with a pellet gun walking down the street is lawful? Really?? I'm no lawyer but I'm pretty sure I would be in jail if I did that.:mad:

Cleaner44
08-16-2014, 04:41 PM
So shooting a kid with a pellet gun walking down the street is lawful? Really?? I'm no lawyer but I'm pretty sure I would be in jail if I did that.:mad:

No, its ok all long as you say you were in fear. Fear justifies all.

AuH20
08-16-2014, 05:28 PM
Where is the media on this one?

aGameOfThrones
08-16-2014, 05:44 PM
The cop will be dispensed justice if he was wrong. Lopez is the main catalyst for the entire affair. He wasted his life over goddamn toy. He thought he could just walk around to his friends house. But there is always a big bully somewhere. Cops, gang members.....Someone else would have smoked this joker.

AuH20
08-16-2014, 05:46 PM

You're not seriously comparing a strong armed robber to a kid with a pellet gun who didn't engage a police officer?

JK/SEA
08-16-2014, 05:56 PM
You're not seriously comparing a strong armed robber to a kid with a pellet gun who didn't engage 'fucking cop'?

fixed.

Occam's Banana
08-16-2014, 06:12 PM
No, its ok all long as you say you were in fear. Fear justifies all.

No, no - justifying yourself by saying you were in fear *is* very important (for PR purposes, if nothing else). But by itself, it's not enough.
The critical element is having government-issued credentials (like a badge or some such) - THEN it's "all good."

IOW: You also need to have a "license to kill" ... just like 007 ... pew! pew! pew!

aGameOfThrones
08-16-2014, 06:17 PM
I have a hard time believing a police officer shot someone 8 times with no provocation. Especially these days in a racially charged neighborhood. This simply does not pass the logic test, when you consider the potential fallout. I think we need more eyewitness testimony or further corroboration.

"Lopez was hit by seven of the eight shots that Gelhaus fired and died at the scene."

pcosmar
08-16-2014, 06:43 PM
Where is the media on this one?

In Ferguson.

Brian4Liberty
08-16-2014, 07:03 PM

If you are going to quote someone, please "Go Advanced", and use the cross-out feature, and note it with FTFY or something similar.

Working Poor
08-16-2014, 07:16 PM
"Lopez was hit by seven of the eight shots that Gelhaus fired and died at the scene."

Damnit man that is horrible this one really pissed me off I hope they get some help protesting this.

Anti Federalist
08-16-2014, 07:18 PM
Of course he was....yawn. 'MuriKa. <belch>

When's the fooooootball on TeeVee?

<burp>

Anti Federalist
08-16-2014, 07:20 PM
In Ferguson.

I laughed, then "serioused" when I realized how accurate that was.

The government media organs know where to go re-direct anger.

aGameOfThrones
08-16-2014, 08:22 PM
what's that?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-fp0VNxnODYM/UhOswyKrKbI/AAAAAAAADus/VzcNMFxE2PA/s1600/crickets.gif

aGameOfThrones
08-17-2014, 09:51 PM
This thread needs more AuH20