PDA

View Full Version : Police: Officer Wasn't Aware Michael Brown Was a Suspect in Alleged Robbery

Anti Federalist
08-15-2014, 06:53 PM
acptulsa called this right in another thread.

Wilson, the cop who shot Brown, had no idea he was a suspect in a shoplifting incident just minutes before.

Which would explain why the hastily ginned up "reports" don't have time stamps that line up right.

Police: Officer Wasn't Aware Michael Brown Was a Suspect in Alleged Robbery

http://online.wsj.com/articles/police-name-darren-wilson-as-officer-in-ferguson-missouri-michael-brown-shooting-1408108371

FERGUSON, Mo.—Local police released new details in sometimes chaotic fashion Friday about the shooting death of an unarmed African-American teenager, which sowed more mistrust in a community already lacking faith in law-enforcement efforts.

Early Friday, Ferguson police identified Darren Wilson as the officer who shot and killed 18-year-old Michael Brown in an incident that has sparked a week of unrest in this St. Louis suburb as well as protests in cities across the country.

Chief Thomas Jackson also released documents and surveillance video, alleging that Mr. Brown was tied to a robbery at a convenience store shortly before he crossed paths with police. Hours later, Mr. Jackson held another news conference in which he said Mr. Wilson, who is white, wasn't aware of the robbery when he stopped Mr. Brown.

aGameOfThrones
08-15-2014, 06:56 PM
"It doesn't matter if he knew or didn't."~AuH20

Saved you the trouble

AuH20
08-15-2014, 07:02 PM
"It doesn't matter if he knew or didn't."~AuH20

Saved you the trouble

Reports indicate that the officer was notified of the robbery after moving the suspects off the road so he could proceed. Note that no one was apprehended or accosted after the suspects moved to the side. So it's basically all semantics at this point. Hell, if the Darwin Award winner hadn't been walking in the middle of the road after a crime and/or hadn't attacked the officer, he'd probably still be alive. But that's what happens when you think you're invincible in this day and age.

Furthermore, I'm shocked how many people are wasting valuable moral capital on what amounted to be a lost cause. If you want to make a point, reserve it for the excessive police response AFTER the incident. Shooting tear gas cans at journalists and the like. That's what we should be outraged about.

Anti Federalist
08-15-2014, 07:24 PM
Furthermore, I'm shocked how many people are wasting valuable moral capital on what amounted to be a lost cause. If you want to make a point, reserve it for the excessive police response AFTER the incident. Shooting tear gas cans at journalists and the like. That's what we should be outraged about.

I am, (as much as my burned out, worn out and cynical psyche can allow me these days) and it shows a pattern of police abuse in this county.

mad cow
08-15-2014, 07:29 PM
Local cops versus State cops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zbDey8JdFo&list=UU0uVZd8N7FfIZnPu0y7o95A

kcchiefs6465
08-15-2014, 09:54 PM
To be clear, the incident was a robbery, not petty theft.

That's neither here nor there if what multiple witnesses are describing is true.

Where is the autopsy report? Does it corroborate the officer or the witnesses?

orenbus
08-15-2014, 10:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYsPuSLsBHw

thoughtomator
08-15-2014, 10:41 PM
Reports indicate that the officer was notified of the robbery after moving the suspects off the road so he could proceed. Note that no one was apprehended or accosted after the suspects moved to the side. So it's basically all semantics at this point. Hell, if the Darwin Award winner hadn't been walking in the middle of the road after a crime and/or hadn't attacked the officer, he'd probably still be alive. But that's what happens when you think you're invincible in this day and age.

By this time you should be aware that the Ferguson PD chief himself said at a press conference (which I have seen) that the officer was NOT aware of the robbery - in other words, the assertion that he was made aware of it during the incident (which appears to have occurred over about a minute's time or less) is false. And as I know you are keen to preserve your integrity, I am confident you will not repeat this particular piece of false information nor base further theories on it.

thoughtomator
08-15-2014, 10:44 PM
To be clear, the incident was a robbery, not petty theft.

That's neither here nor there if what multiple witnesses are describing is true.

Where is the autopsy report? Does it corroborate the officer or the witnesses?

How can anything corroborate the officer when he hasn't made any assertions to corroborate? Now a week later, and we don't have his side of the story, just hints of what the story might be put out through nameless and unaccountable rumor.

What innocent person would not be beating down the doors of every press agency to get out his side of the story?

fr33
08-15-2014, 10:55 PM
The clerk should have shot him. Honestly it's a shame he didn't. I'd rather defend him killing Big Mike than defend Big Mike against the cops but it is what it is. The cop killed an unarmed man while he was running away.

kcchiefs6465
08-15-2014, 10:56 PM
How can anything corroborate the officer when he hasn't made any assertions to corroborate? Now a week later, and we don't have his side of the story, just hints of what the story might be put out through nameless and unaccountable rumor.

What innocent person would not be beating down the doors of every press agency to get out his side of the story?
One with an attorney.

The facts are still being gathered, it shows nothing of guilt to wait until said facts are entirely available to present a specific defense. (leave it to the police who goad people into saying something incriminating to recognize that they ought not talk to the police, nor the media [as a general rule, at least, but I'm sure his tax funded attorney isn't a rookie])

The autopsy report, had anyone else killed someone, would have already been released. I imagine there is a reason it has not; that being: Ferguson would burn.

Regardless the suspect is being afforded a great deal of 'professional courtesy.' It's almost as if they act as a higher breed of citizenry.

mad cow
08-15-2014, 11:05 PM
Any innocent person with an ounce of sense.

thoughtomator
08-15-2014, 11:22 PM
Any innocent person with an ounce of sense.

Only if he believed a criminal prosecution was forthcoming. In that case, it would be quite sensible to keep quiet.

However, by keeping quiet, the police department itself has assumed the position of criminal defendant. That's an awfully interesting position for a government agency to assume, especially before any facts are in.

The duty of the police was to release as much information as early as possible to defuse tensions, because that was necessary to protect the community and maintain order.

And it was necessary only because of a "long train of abuses and usurpations" by those same police that made the entire community think it perfectly possible that they murdered a man for trivial reasons, or for no reason at all.

While the Ferguson PD is acting like Lois Lerner's buddy list, their behavior screams guilty, guilty, guilty.

Brian4Liberty
08-16-2014, 01:58 PM
Well, the stories always change several times, and we'll never know the actual truth. But with the video evidence of the (convenience store) crime, we know that occurred. This would indicate his state of mind at the time. He knew he just committed a crime, and that the Police had probably been called. Did he attack the cop because he assumed they were on to him already? Was he out of his mind, attacking store keepers and cops alike? The cop claiming that he was attacked through the window would make sense. Apparently he had some injuries from that.

AuH20
08-16-2014, 02:14 PM
Well, the stories always change several times, and we'll never know the actual truth. But with the video evidence of the crime, we know that occurred. This would indicate his state of mind at the time. He knew he just committed a crime, and that the Police had probably been called. Did he attack the cop because he assumed they were on to him already? Was he out of his mind, attacking store keepers and cops alike? The cop claiming that he was attacked through the window would make sense. Apparently he had some injuries from that.

Danke posted a link earlier showing that the chief had stated in a Q&A session that Wilson did not initially know that Brown had robbed the liquor store. The wording is very revealing.

enhanced_deficit
08-16-2014, 02:17 PM
This is another living and breating news story, let's wait till all the facts come out.

orenbus
08-16-2014, 03:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLJSGao0s8g

Warlord
08-16-2014, 03:34 PM
Well, the stories always change several times, and we'll never know the actual truth. But with the video evidence of the (convenience store) crime, we know that occurred. This would indicate his state of mind at the time. He knew he just committed a crime, and that the Police had probably been called. Did he attack the cop because he assumed they were on to him already? Was he out of his mind, attacking store keepers and cops alike? The cop claiming that he was attacked through the window would make sense. Apparently he had some injuries from that.

Even as a suspected robber he did not deserve a street execution. come on Brian don't go all AUH20 on us and tell us he deserved it and did this to himself because he didn't

Valli6
08-16-2014, 05:28 PM
Even as a suspected robber he did not deserve a street execution. come on Brian don't go all AUH20 on us and tell us he deserved it and did this to himself because he didn't
If he really did attack the cop, then he was not being executed for any suspected crime, he was being shot in self defense. I’m not saying that’s what actually happened, because I don’t know - but cops are instructed to shoot to kill, if they believe they are about to be murdered.

Anti Federalist
08-16-2014, 07:17 PM
This is another living and breating news story, let's wait till all the facts come out.

That will never happen.

Even if a timeline of absolute facts came out, neither side would believe half of it, at this point.

Occam's Banana
08-16-2014, 07:42 PM
That will never happen.

Even if a timeline of absolute facts came out, neither side would believe half of it, at this point.

QF(absolute)T