PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles may give out monetary prizes to boost voter turnout

tsai3904
08-14-2014, 06:59 PM
Panel wants L.A. to look at using prizes to boost voter turnout

Alarmed that fewer than one-fourth of voters are showing up for municipal elections, the Los Angeles Ethics Commission voted Thursday to recommend that the City Council look at using cash prizes to lure a greater number of people to the polls.

On a 3-0 vote, the panel said it wanted City Council President Herb Wesson's Rules, Elections and Intergovernmental Relations Committee to seriously consider the use of financial incentives and a random drawing during its elections, possibly as soon as next year.

Depending on the source of city funds, the idea could require a ballot measure. Commissioners said they were unsure how big the prizes should be or how many should be offered, saying a pilot program should first be used to test the concept.

"Maybe it's $25,000 maybe it's $50,000," said Commission President Nathan Hochman. "That's where the pilot program comes in -- to figure out what ... number and amount of prizes would actually get people to the voting box."

More:
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-panel-prizes-voters-20140814-story.html

aGameOfThrones
08-14-2014, 07:02 PM
what's wrong with using peoples' money to make other people vote me?

Danke
08-14-2014, 08:06 PM
Just trying to legitimize the process that get's them in office. Low turn out, they can't claim any can't claim any legitimacy to lord over you.

TaftFan
08-14-2014, 08:35 PM
Trying to get poor minorities to turn out, lets be honest here.

alucard13mm
08-15-2014, 03:01 AM
Trying to get poor minorities to turn out, lets be honest here.

This. By 2016, we will have a few million more illegal immigrants or poor minorities where 60-75% will vote for democrat. Woot Woot.

Man.. California sucks ass. New York is somewhat lucky, since it is a bit further from the southern border.

flaversaver
08-15-2014, 05:24 AM
Lolz...

I'm done being pissed off at these idiots. All I can do is laugh.

limequat
08-15-2014, 05:38 AM
Poll tax = massively illegal.
Poll incentive = hey why not?

Aint that amerika.

Ronin Truth
08-15-2014, 07:22 AM
If you can't persuade more folks to vote, try buying them. Then if that doesn't work, threaten and coerce them. Then if that doesn't work, fine and incarcerate them. Then if that doesn't work, just shoot the bastards.

Land of the free, go team! HOORAH!

Suzanimal
08-16-2014, 04:38 AM
Why do they care if people are voting?:confused:

That last line was just sad..."over time they will vote for someone.":rolleyes:

Alarmed that fewer than one-fourth of voters are showing up for municipal elections, the Los Angeles Ethics Commission voted Thursday to recommend that the City Council look at using cash prizes to lure a greater number of people to the polls.

On a 3-0 vote, the panel said it wanted City Council President Herb Wesson's Rules, Elections and Intergovernmental Relations Committee to seriously consider the use of financial incentives and a random drawing during its elections, possibly as soon as next year.
Maybe it's $25,000, maybe it's $50,000. That's where the pilot program comes in -- to figure out what ... number and amount of prizes would actually get people to the voting box. - Nathan Hochman, Los Angeles Ethics Commission president.

Depending on the source of city funds, the idea could require a ballot measure. Commissioners said they were unsure how big the prizes should be or how many should be offered, saying a pilot program should first be used to test the concept.

"Maybe it's $25,000 maybe it's $50,000," said Commission President Nathan Hochman. "That's where the pilot program comes in -- to figure out what ... number and amount of prizes would actually get people to the voting box."

Only 23% percent of registered voters cast ballots in last year's mayoral election, prompting suggested solutions from an array of civic leaders. On Tuesday, turnout in a special school board election fell below 10%, according to preliminary numbers.

The idea of an election day lottery came up Thursday during an appearance by Wesson before the commission. During that discussion, Hochman suggested that surplus matching funds -- money provided to candidates who agree to certain spending restrictions -- could cover the cost of election day prizes.

That dialogue with Wesson, Hochman said, spurred the commission to act a few hours later.

"When I heard that he really wants to consider this, and was enthused and excited about this out-of-the-box idea, I thought, 'Let’s get an action item before his committee,'" Hochman said.

Wesson said he was indeed intrigued by the idea of a drawing or lottery but would first want to hear what neighborhood councils, his colleagues and assorted "legal beagles" think about the idea.

"I can’t wait to have this conversation," he said. "But don’t get me wrong. Don't think I’m going to run around being the poster child" for the proposal.

The commission's vote comes as Los Angeles political leaders examine various proposals for getting more people to the polls. A citizen commission formed by Wesson and Mayor Eric Garcetti recommended two months ago that the city boost turnout by moving from odd- to even-numbered election years.

The LA 2020 Commission, another panel convened by Wesson, offered a similar recommendation in April.

Still, a move to even-numbered years could take several years, since it would likely require turning over the city's election operations to the Los Angeles County registrar-recorder/clerk. The changeover won't be possible until the county adopts a new voting system, city officials said.

Ethics Commissioner Jessica Levinson, an attorney and professor at Loyola Law School, said the city should not have to wait until the end of the decade to take steps to improve voter participation. "We have turnout in citywide elections in the high teens and low 20s and I think that's pretty dismal," she said.

Federal law prohibits people from accepting payment in exchange for voting. But Levinson, who voted to pursue the lottery concept, contends that statute would not apply in an election where there are no federal positions on the ballot.

California law prohibits people from using money or gifts to ensure that voters cast ballots for any particular person or measure. Money also cannot be used to keep people from voting in a particular election, according to information provided by the secretary of state's office.

Hochman said an election day lottery would simply require that people enter the voting booth -- not cast a particular vote.

"If they truly think there are no good candidates, we're not going to force them to choose one", he said. "What the studies have shown is, if you get people to the voting booths and they're being incentivized to be there ... over time they will vote for someone."

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-panel-prizes-voters-20140814-story.html

tod evans
08-16-2014, 04:42 AM
Which turd would you like from the punchbowl?

Neither! I'll head to the beach with my 6-pack and bitch about laws and the current state of affairs...

DamianTV
08-16-2014, 05:24 AM
Wanna increase voter turnout? Give us HONEST people we can vote for, not a choice of one of two turds!

bolil
08-16-2014, 05:37 AM
Desperate to look legitimate, LA turns to outright bribery. It is just so hard to claim a mandate when 2/3rd the population doesn't even bother voting. Whats next? Armed Political Action teams?

Carson
08-16-2014, 08:06 AM
They talking amnesty here?

Kind of seems they are just trying to make elections appear legitimate.

P.S. Sorry bolil. Now I'm not sure if I ripped off your word or we both just think alike.

alucard13mm
08-16-2014, 02:51 PM
If people is too lazy to vote or dont make the effort.. screw them. That means they are too lazy or dont make the effort to know wtf they are voting for.

I'd like to see how this can be "neutral" and not be used to sway votes for certain propositions or people for office.

Ronin Truth
08-16-2014, 06:05 PM
If people is too lazy to vote or dont make the effort.. screw them. That means they are too lazy or dont make the effort to know wtf they are voting for.

I'd like to see how this can be "neutral" and not be used to sway votes for certain propositions or people for office.

Of the last 50 or so elections I've boycotted, my vote would not have changed the outcome of even one.

Anti Federalist
08-16-2014, 08:58 PM
Nobody turns out because it's a one party system.

I mean, I know voting is pretty pointless, but if you agitate enough, maybe you could push a point or two one way or the other.

But L.A., NYC, MA, IL, NJ...what's the point?

If you're one of us, it's an abject waste of time.

If you're one of the opposition, well, you've pretty much locked in a "win".

Occam's Banana
08-16-2014, 09:13 PM
Okay, so this is different from welfare programs, government contracts, etc., etc. ... how, exactly?

DamianTV
08-17-2014, 07:32 AM
I sure as hell hope Citizenship doesnt become the "Prize"...

acptulsa
08-17-2014, 10:25 AM
INTRODUCING THE VOTOLOTTO!!

EVEN WHEN YOU ACTUALLY WIN, YOU STILL LOSE!!

nobody's_hero
08-17-2014, 02:39 PM
Just trying to legitimize the process that get's them in office. Low turn out, they can't claim any can't claim any legitimacy to lord over you.

They do it all the time.