PDA

View Full Version : Major Democratic Bigwig Supports Southern Secession

AuH20
08-13-2014, 09:05 AM
This is the type of progress I like to hear!!

http://freebeacon.com/politics/major-democratic-donor-supports-southern-secession/

In an email thread on Gamechanger Salon—a closed Google group of progressive organizers, reporters, and campaign apparatchiks—Guy Saperstein, a major Democratic donor and part owner of the Oakland Athletics baseball team, said he would support the South seceding.

“For more than 100 years, the South has been dumbing down national politics, tilting the country in a conservative direction, supporting militarism, all while demanding huge financial subsidies from blue states,” Guy Saperstein wrote in the emails. “It would be 100% fine with me if the South was a separate nation, pursuing its own priorities and destiny.”

In the email thread from last October, Gamechanger Salon participants were discussing a Michael Lind story at Salon entitled “The South is Holding America Hostage.”

“I thought this was an impressive (if tough) piece of big-picture political strategy and prescription,” member Jon Stahl wrote. “Would be interested to hear others’ opinions of whether he is on target or way off … and if so what that might imply.”

In follow-up comments to Media Trackers, Saperstein wrote, “Secession would be a gradual process, giving any blacks who felt threatened time to relocate.”

Civil rights victories “would not be lost for any blacks willing to relocate and the ones who relocated would do much better in their new environments,” Saperstein continued.

jbauer
08-13-2014, 09:22 AM
Cool. Where do I sign up. You yankees can keep your high taxes, high regulation, progressive crap. I'll take what we offer.

fyi, I moved to the south 10 yrs ago.

thoughtomator
08-13-2014, 09:26 AM
If the South secedes, northern elitist liberals will have a harder time down here than blacks (who would see a massive rise in influence, proportionally) would.

ravedown
08-13-2014, 09:29 AM
bullshit, he's all talk..when it came down to it the politicians would realize they are forfeiting control and as abe lincoln proved...they can't have that. also, this guy implying that civil rights would be revoked show how bigoted and out of touch he really is. what a jackass.

AuH20
08-13-2014, 09:35 AM
bullshit, he's all talk..when it came down to it the politicians would realize they are forfeiting control and as abe lincoln proved...they can't have that. also, this guy implying that civil rights would be revoked show how bigoted and out of touch he really is. what a jackass.

It was pretty funny how they were talking about airlifting blacks out of the South as if the southern states would suddenly resort to savagery with no fed gov to oversee them. You would have thought they were talking about the Khmer Rouge.

William Tell
08-13-2014, 09:39 AM
Cool, I support it too. My cousin says if Texas Secedes, he is all for it and will move here.:cool:
But I don't see it as that realistic right now, just keep educating teh peoples, and electing more liberty candidates, that's what we do:cool:

Origanalist
08-13-2014, 09:47 AM

Yep, he's just taking a shot at those "backwards Southern hicks". There's no way in hell he would let them control their own destiny without another civil war.

oyarde
08-13-2014, 10:03 AM
Is this the same guy who is a retired lawyer and was pres of Sierra club ??

Southron
08-13-2014, 10:39 AM
I'm glad it is being discussed. I would be happy to give anyone time to leave.

Lets get the ball rolling.

Demigod
08-13-2014, 11:01 AM
New countries are created when empires are in conflict or they are falling apart.There is no chance that an empire will let a region secede while it is at the height of its power no matter how democratic/liberal it is or whether in reality it is just one more step away from collapsing.

In Yugoslavia although there were many problems hardly anyone could have thought as late as 88 that the country would fall apart.Even when the falling apart began most still waited for the military to take over and "clean house".

TonySutton
08-13-2014, 11:07 AM
I wonder if his definition of "south" includes Virginia which would put the national capital in a precarious position.

jkob
08-13-2014, 11:16 AM
Honestly, I don't think any normal person objects to secession if it was the will of the people in the state, that fact we fought a war that killed so many over that is horrifying.

tod evans
08-13-2014, 11:18 AM
Good! :D