PDA

View Full Version : CA-Cops "Kelly Thomas" homeless man, then go around confiscating video of the event

Anti Federalist
08-09-2014, 09:29 PM
Witnesses upset over Antioch arrest, police confiscating cellphones

http://abc7news.com/news/witnesses-upset-over-antioch-arrest-police-taking-cellphones/249975/

ANTIOCH, Calif. (KGO) --

There was a violent arrest in the East Bay that was caught on camera Tuesday afternoon. Some witnesses say it was a case of police brutality, but the other major issue could be what happened when the cameras were turned off.

The arrest at Contra Loma Boulevard and Buchanan Road was recorded by multiple people, but when police spotted the cameras, witnesses claim officers confronted them.

This brings up some interesting questions about the rights of people and their video versus the rights of the police and whether or not they can take away that video.

The Antioch Police Department declined an on-camera interview and all three witnesses that spoke to ABC7 News said they were afraid to reveal their identities because of what they saw police do to the man being arrested.

On some of the video posted to YouTube you can hear a witness saying, "I don't think that's necessary."

The first witness told ABC7 News, "I thought it was overkill. I was disgusted by it."

Several witnesses say the man, who appeared to be mentally disturbed, was handcuffed while police used a Tazer on him and hit him with a baton. Then, they say, an officer released a police dog that began biting the man until he was bleeding and unrecognizable.

The first witness continued to say, "Not his legs and his arms, his face and his head! That's doing too much."

A second witness ABC7 News spoke to says officers began confiscating cellphones from anyone who shot video of the incident. An officer asked for his cellphone after he shot video and the witness said, "Then he took my phone anyway because I didn't want no problems. He emailed the incident to his phone."

The first witness said, "They didn't take no for an answer apparently because they pulled one lady out of her vehicle to get it, and she wouldn't give it up and they were about to arrest her and finally they let her go because I believe she gave it up."

However, a third witness told ABC7 News he was ordered to erase his video. So he did. He said, "They were being kind of controlling, like demanding, 'erase your phone' and they were trying to take people's phones away."

The American Civil Liberties Union says police officers may not confiscate or demand to view your digital photos or video without a warrant.

Antioch police told ABC7 News in a statement, "If a person is not willing to turn it over voluntarily, an officer can sometimes seize the device containing the video. The police would have to get a search warrant to retrieve the video from the device."

Antioch police would not comment on the details of the incident.

heavenlyboy34
08-09-2014, 09:40 PM
Ain't that Amerika.

"It's not assault/battery and theft when I do it. I've got a gun and a badge." ~officer Friendly

Henry Rogue
08-09-2014, 09:46 PM
*"If a person is not willing to turn it over voluntarily, an officer can sometimes seize the device containing the video. The police would have to get a search warrant to retrieve the video from the device."
For evidence in a self investigation, I'm sure.

JK/SEA
08-10-2014, 06:59 AM
one of the comments:

''alex > Joey Boots • 13 hours ago

You really dont know the whole picture regarding antioch do you? Antioch is starting to become a really bad city with many homeless and degenerates who dont care about anything. If it took 10 officers to subdue this one mentally challenged individual, then it should be allowed on antiochs behalf. Its so rough in that city, the police have a hard enough time with the funds they have to deal with.''

there ya go...now bend over like a good little slave...

mrsat_98
08-10-2014, 07:43 AM
For evidence in a self investigation, I'm sure.

Makes you wonder if they stay up late at night and watch it.

Anti Federalist
08-10-2014, 09:22 AM
Copsucker

one of the comments:

''alex > Joey Boots • 13 hours ago

You really dont know the whole picture regarding antioch do you? Antioch is starting to become a really bad city with many homeless and degenerates who dont care about anything. If it took 10 officers to subdue this one mentally challenged individual, then it should be allowed on antiochs behalf. Its so rough in that city, the police have a hard enough time with the funds they have to deal with.''

there ya go...now bend over like a good little slave...

presence
08-10-2014, 09:51 AM
"They were being kind of controlling, like demanding, 'erase your phone' and they were trying to take people's phones away."

Keep pushing fuckers; when the next Dorner declares open season I'll laugh.

pcosmar
08-10-2014, 10:02 AM
Keep pushing fuckers; when the next Dorner declares open season I'll laugh.

Dorner was a whistle blower.

Ever Cop in the country knows what happens to whistle blowers.

idiom
08-11-2014, 12:52 AM
Could one of our esteemed reps possibly push a pro police powers bill?

'Whereas police have nothing to hide...

Whereas terrorists may be trying to infiltrate our government...

Whereas many eyes may catch terrorists...

the public may record any government official engaged in official government business or otherwise going about their duties, and may transmit or replicate recordings openly.'

I had a good name for it too, like the Sentinel Act or something but I can't remember. Its an anti-terrorism bill that lets you film the police... and others.

Alternatively tack it onto this civil rights bill that is being brewed up.

Goal is to get to:

"Your actions are being recorded for legal and training purposes. If you do not wish to be recorded you make discontinue with your arrest and walk away. Anything you say or do will be used in my defense in a court of law"

Mani
08-11-2014, 01:02 AM
That's why people need an app that automatically loads it online. There are a couple apps, where if someone starts asking you to hand over your phone while you are recording, you click a button and it sends it to your emergency contacts immediately and gets saved in a database for 30 days. Those have a monthly or annual fee, but I'm beginning to think it's worth it.

It's not good enough to record the incident, now you have to record it, and send it asap, before your phone is snatched away and/or they begin beating on you.

So if they walk up to you, snatch your phone, and delete it. It's already saved online.

acptulsa
08-11-2014, 01:17 AM
So how do we meme it into Boobus' head? It needs a hip new name.

How about 'Memory Holing'?

Cops beat a dude up in front of God and everybody, but it got memory holed.

Sucks, man, my phone ain't been the same since po-po memory holed it.