PDA

View Full Version : Sanctions: Russia strikes back - bans all US food, EU fruit and veg

orenbus
08-06-2014, 03:11 PM
Great. One step closer to global thermonuclear war, you know what they say about how the U.S. relates to countries without McDonalds. :eek:

http://www.smh.com.au/world/sanctions-russia-strikes-back--bans-all-us-food-eu-fruit-and-veg-20140807-10196n.html

Sanctions: Russia strikes back - bans all US food, EU fruit and veg
August 7, 2014 - 6:32AM

http://images.smh.com.au/2014/08/07/5657406/1407357736015.jpg-620x349.jpg

Moscow/Donetsk, Ukraine: Russia will ban all imports of food from the United States and all fruit and vegetables from Europe, the state news agency reported on Wednesday, a sweeping response to Western sanctions imposed over its support for rebels in Ukraine.

The measures will hit consumers at home who rely on cheap imports, and on farmers in the West for whom Russia is a big market. Moscow is by far the biggest buyer of European fruit and vegetables and the second biggest importer of US poultry.

RIA quoted the spokesman for Russia's food safety watchdog VPSS, Alexei Alexeenko, as saying all European fruit and vegetables and all produce from the United States would be included in a ban drawn up on the orders of President Vladimir Putin to punish countries that imposed sanctions on Russia.

http://images.smh.com.au/2014/08/07/5657405/1407357736166.jpg-620x349.jpg

Earlier, Mr Alexeenko told Reuters bans on EU and US goods would be "quite substantial", and would specifically include US poultry, although he declined to give a full list of banned goods. He could not be reached again after the RIA report.
Advertisement

The war of economic sanctions has escalated even as fighting has intensified on the ground in eastern Ukraine in the three weeks since a Malaysian airliner was shot down over territory held by pro-Russian rebels.

NATO said on Wednesday Russia had massed around 20,000 combat-ready troops on Ukraine's border and could use the pretext of a humanitarian mission to invade. It was the starkest warning yet from the Western alliance that Moscow could mount a ground assault on its neighbour.

As rebels have lost ground to Ukrainian government troops, Russia announced military exercises this week near the border.

"We're not going to guess what's on Russia's mind, but we can see what Russia is doing on the ground - and that is of great concern. Russia has amassed around 20,000 combat-ready troops on Ukraine's eastern border," NATO spokeswoman Oana Lungescu said in an emailed statement.

Moscow could use "the pretext of a humanitarian or peace-keeping mission as an excuse to send troops into Eastern Ukraine", she said. A NATO military officer, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Russia's build-up at the border included tanks, infantry, artillery, air defence systems, logistics troops, special forces, and aircraft.

A Russian defence ministry spokesman dismissed the NATO accusations: "We've been hearing this for three months already."

Moscow annexed Ukraine's Crimea peninsula in the Black Sea in March, and Western countries say it has funded and armed pro-Russian rebels since they rose up in east Ukraine in April.

Over the past two months, government troops have fought back, gaining ground against the rebels, who are led almost exclusively by Russian citizens and have managed to acquire tanks, missiles and other heavy weaponry that Kiev and its Western allies say can only have come from across the frontier.

Kiev said 18 Ukrainian servicemen had been killed and 54 injured in 25 separate clashes over the past day in eastern Ukraine. Military spokesman Andriy Lysenko said troops had been shelled from inside Russian territory and frontier guards had come under a four-hour mortar and artillery attack.

Fighting has intensified since Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crashed on July 17, killing all 298 people on board. Western countries say it was shot down by rebels with an advanced anti-aircraft missile supplied by Russia. Moscow denies blame, and the Russians who command the rebels deny they had such missiles.

The United States and the EU imposed sanctions on Russia that were mild at first but have been tightened sharply since the airliner was brought down, now targeting Russia's defence, oil and financial sectors.

On Wednesday, Putin ordered his government to come up with a list of agricultural products from countries that had imposed sanctions on Russia, which would be banned in retaliation. He told the government to avoid measures that would hurt Russian consumers, but the blanket bans reported by RIA were about as sweeping as could be.

Russia imported $US43 billion worth of food last year. According to the European Commission, Russia bought 28 percent of EU fruit exports and 21.5 percent of its vegetables in 2011.

It was the second biggest buyer of US poultry after Mexico last year, accounting for 8 per cent of US chicken meat exports, according to the US Department of Agriculture. US poultry has been ubiquitous in Russia since the early days after the Soviet Union, when cheap American chicken quarters sold at street markets were called "Bush's legs" after the president.

Acala
08-06-2014, 03:16 PM
If anyone thinks the Russians don't have a plan ten moves down the road I think they are mistaken. They are a nation of chess players. And they are not without resources.

orenbus
08-06-2014, 03:22 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/04/us-ukraine-crisis-agriculture-analysis-idUSKBN0G409T20140804

U.S. chicken farmers latest caught in Russia sanction crosshairs
http://s3.reutersmedia.net/resources/r/?m=02&d=20140804&t=2&i=956572486&w=580&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&r=LYNXMPEA730GP

(Reuters) - Russia's threatened ban on U.S. poultry imports, the latest move in a sanctions skirmish over Moscow's support of rebels in Ukraine, has agriculture companies alert to the risks of a conflict that's already roiled trading of crops ranging from soy, beef and fruit to California pistachios.

Moscow has struck back against trade sanctions following the downing of a Malaysian jetliner last month by imposing food restrictions, and would add U.S. chickens to Ukrainian soy and other products Russia has blocked since it seized Crimea earlier this year: Australian beef, Latvian and Lithuanian pork, Moldovan fruit and Ukrainian juice.

Sanderson Farms Inc, the third-largest poultry producer in the U.S., is among American agricultural companies preparing to respond if Russia carries out plans, reported in Russian media this week, to restrict imports of U.S. poultry.

Russia is "using foreign trade as a political football" by threatening to limit poultry imports, Sanderson's Chief Financial Officer Mike Cockrell said. The Mississippi-based company is lining up other buyers for its chicken in case Moscow imposes a ban.

"We'd be crazy not to be making calls to alternative markets right now," he said.

Russia's move to limit agricultural trade is seen as a sign the conflict with Washington is heating up. Russia imported about $1.3 billion in U.S. food and agricultural products last year, or about 11 percent of all U.S. exports to the country, according to U.S. Census data.

U.S. pistachio farmers have seen sales to Russia, the seventh largest export market, cut nearly in half this year because political tensions have made Russian importers hesitant to make purchases, said Peter Vlazakis, export market coordinator for the American Pistachio Growers.

Pistachio exporters have "a legitimate fear" about the potential for trade disruptions, Vlazakis said.

Russians may turn for pistachios to Iran, the world's second largest producer after the United States.

Major grain trading houses also have been affected by the rising tension between the U.S. and Russia.

An armed group last month occupied a Cargill Inc [CARG.UL] sunflower-seed crushing plant in eastern Ukraine, a region supportive of the Putin government. And commodity trader Glencore is expected to have a hard time selling grain silos in the country

Last week, the farm sector's attention turned to poultry after Russia's Veterinary and Phyto-Sanitary Surveillance Service said it found signs of the antibiotic tracycline in four shipments of U.S. poultry. The service, known as VPSS or Rosselkhoznadzor in Russian, could not be reached for comment.

VPSS' threat to ban U.S. poultry imports, reported in government-controlled Russian media, came days after fresh U.S. and EU sanctions over Russia's support of rebels in Ukraine.

Russia is the second largest importer of U.S. broiler meat behind Mexico, buying 276,100 tonnes last year, or 8 percent of U.S. exports, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Russia's purchases from January through May 2014 represented 7 percent of U.S. exports.

U.S. poultry exporters and producers said there were no problems with the meat. For some, the situation was hardly their first time dealing with trade troubles with Russia.

Russia has repeatedly been accused by the West of using food safety concerns and its veterinary service as instruments to ban supplies from countries with which it has strained relations or to protect its own industry. Explicitly banning a country's products for political reasons would violate World Trade Organization rules.

Trade restrictions in prior years have caused some companies to back away from deals with Russian importers, said Jim Sumner, president of the USA Poultry & Egg Export Council.

The council has advised poultry companies to keep in contact with Russian importers so they will get early warnings should Moscow impose a ban.

Privately held poultry producer Perdue Farms is one company that does not export to Russia.

"In retrospect, that was probably a pretty smart move that Perdue made," Sumner said.

A Perdue spokeswoman told Reuters she did not know why the company did not deal with Russia.

For Russian President Vladimir Putin, targeting agricultural imports could be a low-cost way to retaliate against U.S. sanctions over Ukraine.

Other threats, especially any involving Russia's export of oil and gas shipments, likely would bring additional sanctions on Moscow, said Robert Kahn, a senior fellow for international economics at the Council on Foreign Relations.

Russian sanctions on farm products would be "quite painful" for the companies affected, although the macroeconomic effects on the U.S. economy would be small, he added.

"These are fully political decisions," Kahn said.

orenbus
08-06-2014, 03:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCOQrhvoaE0

Christian Liberty
08-06-2014, 03:48 PM
Smuggling, anyone?;)

heavenlyboy34
08-06-2014, 03:55 PM
I don't care for either side of this imperial battle, but I'm pleased the US regime seems to have met a superior match. :cool:

ZENemy
08-06-2014, 04:03 PM
When Elephants fight, many Ants are killed.

luctor-et-emergo
08-06-2014, 04:04 PM
If anyone thinks the Russians don't have a plan ten moves down the road I think they are mistaken. They are a nation of chess players. And they are not without resources.

There certainly are some smart people there. Not to be underestimated. There are some ruthless people too. From what I have heard from an uncle of mine that lived and worked there for a decade a lot of nice people too. I wouldn't mind to learn to speak Russian some time.

Michael Landon
08-06-2014, 04:13 PM
Will the newly created surplus of poultry, fruits and veggies drop the prices in the U.S.?

- ML

LibForestPaul
08-06-2014, 04:16 PM
Will the newly created surplus of poultry, fruits and veggies drop the prices in the U.S.?

- ML

No. They will institute price buy backs in response to this act of aggression from Russian. Expect lots of borrowing.

Acala
08-06-2014, 04:18 PM
There certainly are some smart people there. Not to be underestimated. There are some ruthless people too. From what I have heard from an uncle of mine that lived and worked there for a decade a lot of nice people too. I wouldn't mind to learn to speak Russian some time.

There is much to respect about Russian culture. I think they have problems associated with going from feudalism to violent communism and now a thugocracy. They haven't had a chance to get a taste for liberty. I hope they do. I would like to visit there.

Acala
08-06-2014, 04:19 PM
No. They will institute price buy backs in response to this act of aggression from Russian. Expect lots of borrowing.

Probably true. Emergency subsidies and millions of chickens being destroyed. Or maybe a chicken in every pot - that you pay five times the going price for through your taxes.

heavenlyboy34
08-06-2014, 04:22 PM
There is much to respect about Russian culture. I think they have problems associated with going from feudalism to violent communism and now a thugocracy. They haven't had a chance to get a taste for liberty. I hope they do. I would like to visit there.

Beautiful place, beautiful culture, beautiful people. :) Damn shame the pols on both side of the Atlantic make it look bad. :(

ETA:
I want me a balalaika (балалайка) :D :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzI7SdkhHOA

heavenlyboy34
08-06-2014, 04:33 PM

That reads like a fortune cookie proverb. :cool:

Natural Citizen
08-06-2014, 05:04 PM

This is an excellent assessment, Acala. You know, Russia and these BRICS nations (who are getting in on the In-house finacial clearing game too) are some of the largest competitors to western Agribusiness.

Very good posting...

There is a great deal of in depth reporting on this scenario around the forums if anyone is curious as to the path we'll most likely see.

dannno
08-06-2014, 05:08 PM
Probably true. Emergency subsidies and millions of chickens being destroyed. Or maybe a chicken in every pot - that you pay five times the going price for through your taxes.

If they throw away just ONE god damn chicken I am going to be pissed. I'm so sick of the government starving people to death.

pcosmar
08-06-2014, 05:15 PM
How much are they going to pay farmers not to plant,, to counterbalance the sanctions?

orenbus
08-06-2014, 05:17 PM
If they throw away just ONE god damn chicken I am going to be pissed. I'm so sick of the government starving people to death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJCBRepFi2g

presence
08-06-2014, 05:20 PM
Good. Tit for Tat well deserved.

orenbus
08-06-2014, 05:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOzvuHJGBmM

alucard13mm
08-06-2014, 05:37 PM
The Russians will kill off millions of its own citizens. Don't matter to them. I think Russia will win.

orenbus
08-06-2014, 05:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9AHJ32ZBeo

puppetmaster
08-06-2014, 05:38 PM

- ML

i hope

puppetmaster
08-06-2014, 05:39 PM

shit you are probably right....

pcosmar
08-06-2014, 05:53 PM
Expect these numbers to change.

https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c4621.html

I can not see that being good for the US.

juleswin
08-06-2014, 05:57 PM

I see it more like self defense, but yea even in self defense, innocent people still get hurt. Only if the US had not started with the sanctions. I mean, this is like the 5th round of sanctions by the US and its allies. One can only take so much beating before they start reacting.

Good on Russia, I hope American farmers can put some serious pressure on the US govt so they can stop all these stupid sanctions.

DamianTV
08-06-2014, 06:20 PM
The US Govt loves to control everyone, every individual and wants to control every other Nation by means of Dependancy. Trying to put Santctions on Russia is the National Equivilant of "do what we tell you to do or we will cut off your Food Stamps". The problem is that the less that an entity (individual, company, or nation) is dependant on the US Govt, the less controllable they are. This is becoming exceedingly obvious that powerful nations are now telling the US to go piss up a rope because they will not be controlled by Dependancy on the US. Now, not that I have any great love for Russia, but I see this as a good thing. It means that US power around the world is recognizably less, which means the world may be a safer place if the US does not resort to Military Action to just take what they want from everyone.

TER
08-06-2014, 06:36 PM
From someone who I respect much, they are saying that Putin is banking on building a wedge between the US and the EU. These Western sanctions as a united front are paper tigers. Wait till Russian energy prices skyrocket and Europe gets the short end of the deal. Then the divide between the EU and the US will grow in earnest.

Schifference
08-06-2014, 06:46 PM
Perdue would be ignorant to think that sanctions would not affect them also. More chicken in US means more competition. Perdue's bottom line will be affected.

TER
08-06-2014, 06:47 PM
A question to the economic scholars here... Does this mean the cost of chicken here will go down?

heavenlyboy34
08-06-2014, 06:48 PM
From someone who I respect much, they are saying that Putin is banking on building a wedge between the US and the EU. These Western sanctions as a united front are paper tigers. Wait till Russian energy prices skyrocket and Europe gets the short end of the deal. Then the divide between the EU and the US will grow in earnest.
From what I've read (not much, admittedly) US energy producers and EU consumers are getting along fine. http://www.csmonitor.com/Environment/Energy-Voices/2014/0324/US-approves-more-LNG-exports-as-Europe-looks-to-curb-Russian-gas

I reckon that will keep prices down in Europe enough to keep East/West tensions on the continent pretty peaceful. But if the pols and crony class want war-cold or hot-or general discord, they'll find a way to make it happen.

heavenlyboy34
08-06-2014, 06:53 PM
The Russians will kill off millions of its own citizens. Don't matter to them. I think Russia will win. What makes you think that? This isn't the Soviet or feudal era. Typical Russians are educated and increasingly tech-savvy. Industry does well enough to support a bourgeois middle class (though not as bourgeois as the US because they haven't had the advantage of decades of Rouble hegemony).

juleswin
08-06-2014, 07:06 PM
A question to the economic scholars here... Does this mean the cost of chicken here will go down?

The law of demand and supply says that if demand goes down and the supply stays the same, prices will come down. But I guess the supply will be readjusted next year to reflect the realities of the new market.

XNavyNuke
08-06-2014, 07:16 PM
I'm waiting for the Glorious Leader to retaliate by banning the import of Russian caviar. He would then display his political acumen by simultaneously pissing off the 1% in the Hamptons while being mocked in Moscow.

XNN

FindLiberty
08-06-2014, 07:35 PM
It's almost Bread and Circus time: [gets an extra large bowl of popcorn ready as the PC boots up]

(The company is headquartered in Moscow, Russia

http://usa.kaspersky.com/files/images/home/Awards_unit_300x174_2.jpg (http://usa.kaspersky.com/specialoffer-5?bid=hp_featured_awards)

http://usa.kaspersky.com/ (http://usa.kaspersky.com/)

About Kaspersky Lab

“We believe that everyone – from home computer users and small companies to large corporations and governments – has the right to be free from cyber-security fears. We have therefore made it our mission to provide the world’s most effective, responsive and efficient protection against cyber-threats: those from malware, spam, hackers, DDoS attacks, sophisticated cyber-espionage tools, and cyber-weapons that target countries’ critical infrastructure with potentially catastrophic consequences. We’re here to protect our users from them all.”

Eugene Kaspersky, Chairman and CEO of Kaspersky Lab

Kaspersky Lab is one of the fastest growing IT security vendors in the world. Firmly positioned as one of the top four vendors of security solutions for endpoint users*, Kaspersky Lab continues to improve its market position. According to the company’s 2013 unaudited financial results, Kaspersky Lab’s global revenue grew by 6% compared to the previous year and reached $667 million. Today it is the world’s largest privately held vendor of endpoint protection solutions.
The company today

Kaspersky Lab is an international group operating in almost 200 countries and territories worldwide. The company is headquartered in Moscow, Russia, with its holding company registered in the United Kingdom.
Kaspersky Lab currently employs more than 2,900 highly qualified specialists. It has 32 representative territory offices in 30 countries and its products and technologies provide protection for over 300 million users and over 250,000 corporate clients worldwide. The company provides a wide range of products and solutions for different types of clients, with a special focus on large enterprises, and small and medium-sized businesses.
Unique experience and knowledge

In 2013 Kaspersky Lab celebrated its 16th anniversary. Undoubtedly, the company’s most valuable asset is the wealth of expertise it has gained in those years of combating major IT threats, including malware research, counteracting potentially dangerous applications, traffic filters, etc. This helps the company to remain one step ahead of the competition and provide its users with the most reliable protection against new types of attack.
Customers and partners

Over 300 million people worldwide are protected by Kaspersky Lab products and technologies. Kaspersky Lab’s corporate client base exceeds 250,000 companies located around the globe, ranging from small and medium-sized businesses all the way up to large governmental and commercial organizations. Kaspersky Lab’s customer retention index is significantly higher than the industry average and those for its key competitors: 106 for corporate products and 99 for consumer products in 2012.**
Kaspersky Lab has more than 80 global partner and technology OEM agreements with companies including Microsoft, IBM, Cisco, Juniper Networks, Alcatel Lucent, Blue Coat, Check Point, D-Link, Clearswift, Netgear, ZyXel, Alt-N, Parallels, Lenovo, Facebook, Qualcomm, SafeNet, BAE Systems, H3C, Trustwave, Vertu, Cassidian CyberSecurity, Openwave Messaging, General Dynamics and etc.

TER
08-06-2014, 07:45 PM
From what I've read (not much, admittedly) US energy producers and EU consumers are getting along fine. http://www.csmonitor.com/Environment/Energy-Voices/2014/0324/US-approves-more-LNG-exports-as-Europe-looks-to-curb-Russian-gas

I reckon that will keep prices down in Europe enough to keep East/West tensions on the continent pretty peaceful. But if the pols and crony class want war-cold or hot-or general discord, they'll find a way to make it happen.

I share in your hope and am worrying in your warning!

TER
08-06-2014, 07:47 PM
The law of demand and supply says that if demand goes down and the supply stays the same, prices will come down. But I guess the supply will be readjusted next year to reflect the realities of the new market.

That sounds right. I am guessing this means that the price of chicken will be cheaper to the EU and other countries?

Henry Rogue
08-06-2014, 07:49 PM

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

TER
08-06-2014, 07:49 PM
What makes you think that? This isn't the Soviet or feudal era. Typical Russians are educated and increasingly tech-savvy. Industry does well enough to support a bourgeois middle class (though not as bourgeois as the US because they haven't had the advantage of decades of Rouble hegemony).

Greater then that, the Russian nation and people are returning to their Christian roots, something this nation sorely needs to do otherwise it will fall like Sodom and Gomorrah.

HOLLYWOOD
08-06-2014, 07:50 PM
More and more I look at the players, suspects, and actions... this is: The Zionist Puppet vs. Orthodoxy Chess Master

HVACTech
08-06-2014, 07:51 PM
I'm waiting for the Glorious Leader to retaliate by banning the import of Russian caviar. He would then display his political acumen by simultaneously pissing off the 1% in the Hamptons while being mocked in Moscow.

XNN

I am thinking that is called a hat trick.

Henry Rogue
Cash for Cluckers.

Pauls' Revere
Smuggling, anyone?;)

^^this^^

So, more food for us and prices drop here right? ;)

pcosmar
08-06-2014, 07:52 PM
Greater then that, the Russian nation and people are returning to their Christian roots, something this nation sorely needs to do otherwise it will fall like Sodom and Gomorrah.

Let it go,,

and do NOT look back.

idiom
08-06-2014, 07:56 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb0QLxcvowk

amy31416
08-06-2014, 07:57 PM
I'm quite sure that Russia is capable of raising chicken, and many of their unemployed will probably welcome the chance to do so. Sanctions can weaken a country, but they can also strengthen it into becoming more self-sufficient, and I suspect the latter of the Russians.

Hell, couldn't this make Russia's exports/economy stronger?

idiom
08-06-2014, 07:58 PM

Sodom and Gomorrah fell, not because of their great unrighteousness, but because God couldn't find 10 righteous men to redeem them. You seriously think God couldn't find 10 righteous men in the whole of the United States?

That's a pretty serious accusation.

TER
08-06-2014, 08:02 PM
Sodom and Gomorrah fell, not because of their great unrighteousness, but because God couldn't find 10 righteous men to redeem them. You seriously think God couldn't find 10 righteous men in the whole of the United States?

That's a pretty serious accusation.

God couldn't find 10 righteous men to redeem them because the nation fell into unrighteousness.

TER
08-06-2014, 08:06 PM
Let it go,,

and do NOT look back.

People like Amash give me hope. Not ready to give up on this nation yet. There might still be a lot of history left to be written.

TER
08-06-2014, 08:08 PM
I'm quite sure that Russia is capable of raising chicken, and many of their unemployed will probably welcome the chance to do so. Sanctions can weaken a country, but they can also strengthen it into becoming more self-sufficient, and I suspect the latter of the Russians.

This is where economics goes from science to mystery!

Henry Rogue
08-06-2014, 08:12 PM

Yeah, but only americans can grow them oozing with fat. Growing up I loved eating chicken (we raised our own), now I can hardly stand it, yuk.

heavenlyboy34
08-06-2014, 08:14 PM
This where economics goes from science to mystery!

As the linguistic scientist and professor Dr James McWhorter once said, "there is a point where every science becomes a religion". ;)

HOLLYWOOD
08-06-2014, 08:22 PM
Yes, the BRICSA have their plans/protections... Since almost everything is imported from China, I think the new trade deals RUS/CHN will soften any sanctions from the clown cart activities out of Washington DC. Only worry are the psychotic maniacs inside the Washington DC beltway, doing their loss numbers to win. Of course those clowns are all protected and reserve spots in the 'government DUMBs'... just look back at how those POS cowards on Capital Hill, panicked and scurried like cockroaches into hiding when a dental assistant made wrong turns in her car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb0QLxcvowk

Natural Citizen
08-06-2014, 08:25 PM
This is where economics goes from science to mystery!

Not really. :)

HVACTech
08-06-2014, 08:27 PM
As the linguistic scientist and professor Dr James McWhorter once said, "there is a point where every science becomes a religion". ;)

that happened to me ya know...
does that make me a Pagan? -hugz- :)

puppetmaster
08-06-2014, 08:33 PM
Russia should now ponder when to dump the petrol dollar.....check mate

The fools that let us get here should be hanged.

amy31416
08-06-2014, 08:43 PM

Brings metaphysics to mind. That's why I encourage anyone who claims to be religious to study nature...it doesn't have to be physics, it could be a single plant.

amy31416
08-06-2014, 08:46 PM
Yeah, but only americans can grow them oozing with fat. Growing up I loved eating chicken (we raised our own), now I can hardly stand it, yuk.

Laying chickens are pretty skinny, aren't they? I know we've bred meat chickens to be obese cripples. My sister-in-law grew up on a farm and slaughtered a bunch of chickens, she brought me some to make stock with and they were pretty tasty for that purpose--I think they were quite free range though.

pcosmar
08-06-2014, 08:54 PM
It's almost Bread and Circus time: [gets an extra large bowl of popcorn ready as the PC boots up]

(The company is headquartered in Moscow, Russia

Wasn't it Kaspersky that identified and published stuxnet, (US/Israeli cyber-warfare)?

pcosmar
08-06-2014, 09:05 PM
Brings metaphysics to mind. That's why I encourage anyone who claims to be religious to study nature...it doesn't have to be physics, it could be a single plant.
/raise hand,,wave
Druidic Christian here.

Though I will offer a word of caution.
There is "religion" in science..beware of it.

Enoch 8:1 Moreover Azazyel taught men to make swords, knives, shields, breastplates, the fabrication of mirrors, and the workmanship of bracelets and ornaments, the use of paint, the beautifying of the eyebrows, the use of stones of every valuable and select kind, and all sorts of dyes, so that the world became altered.

8:2 Impiety increased; fornication multiplied; and they transgressed and corrupted all their ways.

8:3 Amazarak taught all the sorcerers, and dividers of roots:

8:4 Armers taught the solution of sorcery;

8:5 Barkayal taught the observers of the stars,

8:6 Akibeel taught signs;

8:7 Tamiel taught astronomy;

8:8 And Asaradel taught the motion of the moon,

8:9 And men, being destroyed, cried out; and their voice reached to heaven.

Mani
08-06-2014, 09:07 PM
So sanctions are ok as long as no one sanctioning against US?

Then it's not cool.

Anyhoo. THE POULTRY INDUSTRY IS TOO BIG TO FAIL!! TIME TO BAIL OUT THE CHICKEN INDUSTRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, prices won't drop. Uncle Sam will buy up all the chickens to keep the price from dropping, they will just warehouse all the chickens until there are too many, then they will just start dumping them in landfills. That's beauracracy at it's best! And of course we will pay for it. The gov't had to do something, it's all Russia's fault. The evil empire!!!

heavenlyboy34
08-06-2014, 09:45 PM
Да, это таже. (Yes, that as well) :)

heavenlyboy34
08-06-2014, 09:47 PM
that happened to me ya know...
does that make me a Pagan? -hugz- :)

:) ~hugs~

Henry Rogue
08-06-2014, 09:57 PM
Laying chickens are pretty skinny, aren't they? I know we've bred meat chickens to be obese cripples. My sister-in-law grew up on a farm and slaughtered a bunch of chickens, she brought me some to make stock with and they were pretty tasty for that purpose--I think they were quite free range though.
We had laying hens, but we didn't eat them. We bought chicks and raised those for the meat.
I'm no chicken expert, but my guess is free range had something to do with the quality of the chickens we had when I was a kid. Tastes are subjective though, particularly if you grow up eating something a certain way, so maybe some people love the stuff I find in stores these days.

nobody's_hero
08-06-2014, 11:18 PM

- ML

No way. 'Plow your chickens under' and get a subsidy. That's how we deal with cheap food in America!

oyarde
08-07-2014, 12:18 AM

My products will not go down , all are sold locally , and quality sells .

oyarde
08-07-2014, 12:23 AM
What makes you think that? This isn't the Soviet or feudal era. Typical Russians are educated and increasingly tech-savvy. Industry does well enough to support a bourgeois middle class (though not as bourgeois as the US because they haven't had the advantage of decades of Rouble hegemony).
All very true , however , the avg ruskie is more adept at doing without and making do than the avg , food stamp , dem amerikan ...

oyarde
08-07-2014, 12:29 AM

Another reason , I try and make sure my locality has goods ....

oyarde
08-07-2014, 12:32 AM

Mine are not , but I spoil them , since they do such a good job , I feed them like queens.

Natural Citizen
08-07-2014, 04:13 AM
Update - Russia bans agricultural products from EU, USA, Australia, Norway, Canada (http://rt.com/business/178636-russia-bans-products-medvedev/)

Aside - EU may consider WTO appeal over Russian food bans - Lithuanian FM (http://rt.com/business/178672-eu-russia-wto-food/)

Relevant reading - World needs UN GMO watchdog – Russia (http://rt.com/news/163852-russia-un-gmo-watchdog/)

Russian anti-GMO activists raise funds for ‘first-ever’ independent intl research (http://rt.com/news/159580-russia-anti-gmo-activists/)

I'd expect a so called "Agricultural Test Ban Treaty" (similar to what we saw in the Kennedy era with regard to nukes) sooner than later now. I think we've discussed this around here some place. Basically setting the standard regarding agriculture. Ah, well. It's around here some place.

Lot's of stuff happening at once. Like cymbals smashing.

orenbus
08-07-2014, 05:27 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlxU_Kl3oaE

orenbus
08-07-2014, 05:41 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayQehvhIKCg

orenbus
08-07-2014, 05:42 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0Lwn2ssX84

orenbus
08-07-2014, 05:46 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WypfFJl__Tc

osan
08-07-2014, 06:49 AM

That's how it's been, historically. Then again, so has hyperinflation been the result of presses running wild, yet that has not happened to date. The seemingly obvious answer in the latter case appears to me to be the advent of electronic currencies. Far and away more easily controlled than physical paper. If I am correct in this, then the question arises as to what, exactly, might be the analog equivalent in the former case, if indeed we do not end up leveling cities in this latest round of foolish saber rattling.

In the days of the Soviet Onion v America, especially the earlier era of the so-called "cold war", those in charge were well steeped in the traditions of the Old World. They retained much of the adultness and the sense of enlightened self-interest that kept the nukes in their silos, despite how seemingly close we came to loosing those dogs in '62.

Today, that fundamental mindset is gone. Not nearly gone, but annihilated. The Soviets and Euros accomplished this with their bitter lust to put it to the so-called "aristocracy" and in that blind desire, they put to death the other edge of the same sword. Yes, many aristocrats were assholes in a million ways, but they were also smart people as well, and possessed a worldview that, while prone to corruption on the one hand, provided an "educated" position on international relations that the new generation strove with endless bitterness to eliminate. Job well done, ye assholes, because it is gone and this brave new generation of "diplomats" (pardon my sardonic laughter) are utterly lost. Theye have no grace, nor is the true mark of statesmanship called "subtlety" to be found with anything approaching commonality. Enlightened self interest itself teeters on the brink of extinction. Just think of that for a moment: men's most basic brain-stem instinct for self-preservation is now being actively overridden by cortical imperatives that have arisen in piecemeal fashion through the gradual devolution of perception through the contamination of basic thought processes with ideas that are inherently and obviously self-destructive but which we have adopted in an apparent drive toward willful suicide as a species... or at least a generation. If you step back to think on this awhile, it is utterly fascinating... if scary as all hell.

Worse yet, the mass of humanity are now sufficiently trained to accept this state of affairs as normal, possessing nary a whit of the sense required to detect, much less evaluate, the utter absence of any real ability to rule, such that the buffoons in charge are able to carry forward with little fear of reprisal.

Yes, the higher-ranking aristocrats were generally assholes, but they were at least smart. Most, however, were actually good people and managed affairs well. The commoner killed them off indiscriminately, took over, and just look at how the world of human affairs has devolved into a state that makes the so-called "dark ages" as something for which any man with the least reason remaining should pine away. The vulgar man of Empire has historically been a cantankerous creature whose only predictable quality was that he would devolve into barbarity in a heartbeat, which was one reason his betters had to handle him with a stern hand. True to form, he did not disappoint when finally the aristocrats were thrown into extinction as he descended that spiral staircase into the maw of hell, replacing one tyranny with another of vastly augmented horrors. The last vestiges of European aristocrats may have introduced us to mechanized, whole-sale warehouse slaughter, but the vulgar, stinking commoner embraced it as a lover, perfected it, and spread it to every corner of the planet. Good job, Joe and Jane Meaner. Good job, indeed.

It appears it was far and away too much for which to hope that once the rot of inherited privilege was purged from the planet, that people of equal intelligence, capability, but a superior moral constitution would have taken over. In retrospect, this was only to be expected, precisely because of the last two words of the sentence just before this one: "taken over". The problem with Empire is that it is incompatible with human nature in that where it exists, human rights are of necessity doomed precisely because no human being can be trusted with such concentrations of power that Empire provides and indeed requires in order for it to exist in the first place. Empire IS that concentration of power in the hands of the few. That condition is the keystone that holds Empire together. Without it, Empire unwinds and falls to the ground, which is one reason the debasement of money has historically lead to the deaths of Empires past. The practice of debasement is the human equivalent of the actions of a parasite that eventually kills its host. The parasites at the head of all Empires have, to date, acted in perfect predictability in Theire inability not to curb themselves such that the host does not expire. Is there something different today? Only time will tell, but if historical precedent is to be taken as yet valid, then the prospects for all currently extant Empire, global or otherwise, are not very good.

As for America, we have also put real diplomacy and statesmanship to death, only using a different angle from that of the Euros and Soviets. The end result is the exact same thing. Consider Kennedy's brinksmanship with Krushchev in '62, forgetting the more fundamental questions of moral authority to play such games with the lives of hundreds of millions of "innocents". Whatever his other shortcomings may have been, he played his hand in that affair with some not inconsiderable skill and nerve, one of the hallmarks of his performance there being that he remained an adult.

Now compare with Ronald Reagan, a mere twenty years later, whose style was that of a blustering buffoon in many cases. Then to George W Bush with "bring it on". These are not the methods of adults, well versed in the skills and subtleties of world diplomacy, but rather the ravings of idiot-men-children who'd taken their lessons from the John Wayne films they had watched. Then lo and behold, Barack Obama! - the biggest Klown of all the Klown Prezidents thus far, with his Mussolini swagger and empty-headed rhetoric, Stalinesque dishonesty, his Hitler-like notions, and Mao-inspired lust for power. All this is well demonstrated in his apparently pure pragmatism and the nerve to push the envelope of usurpation well beyond anything heretofore dared by any previous president. Once again I point you to the public who, well trained beyond anything I would have expected possible thirty years ago, has accepted this with little complaint and absolutely zero substantive action.

Now we have our Killer Klown attempting to face down Russia's analog, minus the sanity and senses of enlightened self-interest that kept things behind the zippers of Kennedy and Krushchev, replaced with the endlessly deluded beliefs in their own supremely infallible skills as "world leaders". Sweet Jesus... if one considers this carefully and for just a little too long, the urge to lock oneself into the basement, bend over and kiss it all bye-bye, becomes disturbingly imperative.

I am in no way being "rhetorical" when I assert that the world is being run by mad men. I mean it most literally and it is one of the few issues on which I make such an assertion with overwhelming confidence of being correct. But no fear there because the rest of us are equally mad and I suspect that this descent into raving insanity is the mechanism God built into living systems that they remain self-regulating at the lower levels of operational existence when we fail to be so at the higher levels. We're doing this to ourselves. It's not "terrorism". It's not "greed". It's not "communism", "capitalism", "socialism", "feminism", or any of the other "isms" or "phobias" or anything else. It is simply us and the choices we make every moment of every day as we allow our perceptions of what is acceptable and what is not drift out of lane and into oncoming traffic. We are eventually going to collide with something, and it is going to hurt. At lot.

We are the builders of our own prisons and the authors of our own doom. We are seemingly way too deep into the psychosis now to self-correct, which means we require correction from without, and I believe that this will be forthcoming before much longer and it will probably even be at our own unwitting and unintentional hands because I am not anticipating Jesus popping out from behind a cloud, nor aliens landing on the South Lawn. The monkey that shall come to spank us will be us.

Y'all have a nice day. I have a foundation to pour.

AngryCanadian
08-07-2014, 08:31 AM
Russia banning of all US food, EU fruit and veg is not going to effect Russia but the EU itself. In a bad way.

HOLLYWOOD
08-07-2014, 09:14 AM
10% hit to EU exports... just what the doctor ordered for the Communist douchebag's economies, which teeter-totter on, depression will have the ECB printing more money. Don't worry Bathhouse Barry and DC slugs will also buy up EU's rotting foods and give them away to, Africa etc... at your expense of course.

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.commieblaster.com%2Fimages%2Fh ome%2Fcommunist-EU.jpg&f=1

Look for the spin doctors to up the propaganda too... on residents in the Untied States of Idiocracy.

heavenlyboy34
08-07-2014, 10:16 PM
10% hit to EU exports... just what the doctor ordered for the Communist douchebag's economies, which teeter-totter on, depression will have the ECB printing more money. Don't worry Bathhouse Barry and DC slugs will also buy up EU's rotting foods and give them away to, Africa etc... at your expense of course.

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.commieblaster.com%2Fimages%2Fh ome%2Fcommunist-EU.jpg&f=1

Look for the spin doctors to up the propaganda too... on residents in the Untied States of Idiocracy.
The acronymn on the flag should be ССЕШ (Союз Социалист Европейский Штатах).

Natural Citizen
08-07-2014, 10:26 PM
Russia banning of all US food, EU fruit and veg is not going to effect Russia but the EU itself. In a bad way.

It's not going to affect about 64 other countries (Non-GMO, btw) either. Just depends upon what we (and especially some of our knee jerk representatives who brought this on) consider "scope" of the issue. It's clear that many didn't/don't and perhaps will never understand scope or else they wouldn't be left so red faced and avoiding the issue at the moment. Changing the subject of the day in regard to foreign policy to Israel and Gaza and whatnot. That kind of thing.

AngryCanadian. I stumbled across a ground report of the latest Biotech/agribusiness shareholders meeting with their respective political representatives in Washington and their lobbyists. Enjoy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jkNNNRkYlM

Zippyjuan
08-08-2014, 12:10 PM
Impacts may be less than they seem at first.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/will-russian-food-sanctions-affect-western-agriculture/

Some U.S. food sectors are expected to feel the impact of the new Russian sanctions, especially poultry producers, which exported about 267,000 metric tons of chicken, valued at $303 million, to Russia last year.

But the National Chicken Council and USA Poultry & Egg Export Council don't appear too fazed by the news from Moscow.

"As its domestic poultry industry has expanded, Russia has in recent years become less important as an export market," they said in a press statement. "Russia currently accounts for only about seven per cent of total U.S. poultry export volume. In the mid-1990s, exports to Russia were as much as 40 per cent of that total."

"As a result," they continued, "we do not expect that a Russian ban on U.S. poultry imports will have a great impact on our industry. The biggest impact, we believe, will be on Russian citizens who will be burdened by higher prices for all food products, especially meat and poultry."

And compared to other world markets, Russia does not lean heavily on U.S. food exports.

"U.S. exports to Russia are less than one percent of our total agricultural exports," said Amanda Leister, an assistant professor of agricultural economics at Colorado State University, who specializes in trade policy.

As for Russia-

The economy of modern Russia is far more globalized and dependent on food imports than its Soviet-era counterpart. The investing website ValueWalk says U.S. exports of food and agricultural products to Russia totaled $1.3 billion last year, while the European Union exported $15.8 billion to Russia in 2013.

"The first casualties (of the new sanctions) would be the domestic (Russian) market," Abdolreza Abbassian, a senior economist with the U. N. Food & Agriculture Organization, told Reuters. "However it will have some implications for the farmers in the producing countries."

http://online.wsj.com/articles/russia-bans-food-imports-in-retaliation-to-western-sanctions-1407403035

Poultry represents the largest share of U.S. agriculture exports to Russia, accounting for more than $300 million last year. But Russia had already banned U.S. poultry imports early this year, citing food-safety concerns. Tyson Foods Inc., TSN +0.67% the largest U.S. poultry producer by sales, expressed disappointment at the new measures, but spokesman Worth Sparkman said other countries could pick up the slack.

Most of the banned items are high end so they won't have much impact on the average Russian consumer- even as they rely heavily on selling energy- natural gas in particular- to European countries to fund their government.

The food ban is most likely to sting wealthier urbanites accustomed to indulgences such as French brie and German sausages—a fraction of the Russian electorate. Foreign wines and spirits—which middle-class Russians often buy as gifts or on special occasions—weren't included on the list.

"The majority of the population is still orientated toward simple products, and these products are produced either in Russia or in countries with which there are no problems," said Olga Kamenchuk, director for international research at the state pollster Vtsiom. "The majority of the population won't suffer from these restrictions."

It is also part of Putin's Nationalism program- to shift everything away from Western influences.

It also serves Mr. Putin's domestic agenda by potentially boosting agricultural production at home and encouraging consumers to buy homemade goods amid a sluggish economic outlook. Mr. Putin has promoted greater self-sufficiency for Russia, a message that plays well to a political base nostalgic for the days when the Soviet Union celebrated domestic production.

"The consequence of Putin's autarchic version of nationalism must be greater economic self-sufficiency," Mr. Grant said.

Amid the patriotic atmosphere whipped up by state media in recent months, some Russians said they weren't interested in buying Western food anyway.

"I don't need all that," said one woman shopping in a Moscow supermarket, motioning to a wall of high-priced Kellogg's cereal. As for foreign meat, she said, "ours is better anyway."

Russia imported about $43 billion worth of food products in 2013, according to Russian customs data, of which the banned goods accounted for nearly $9 billion.

fr33
08-08-2014, 12:30 PM
Cattle prices are still high right now but the futures are dropping pretty low.

HOLLYWOOD
08-08-2014, 12:44 PM
While Washington DC blows billions on overthrowing governments, countries, and bombing people... Russia and China continues to expand peaceful trade:

Brazil/Russia agree to increase trade and cooperation in agriculture and defense (http://en.mercopress.com/2013/02/22/brazil-russia-agree-to-increase-trade-and-cooperation-in-agriculture-and-defense)

http://kwout.com/cutout/w/dt/cs/2uk_bor.jpg (http://riotimesonline.com/brazil-news/rio-daily/brazilian-beef-and-meat-exports-to-russia-strengthen/#)

Brazilian Beef and Meat Exports to Russia Strengthen: Daily (http://riotimesonline.com/brazil-news/rio-daily/brazilian-beef-and-meat-exports-to-russia-strengthen/#)

Russia food ban offers big opportunity for Brazil (http://main.omanobserver.om/?p=101198)

Australian Farmers are Bracing for Damage as a result of Russia’s one-year ban on agricultural products from Australia (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/australia-working-towards-tougher-sanctions-against-russia-abbott/story-fn59niix-1227017779308?nk=48b05e4cd5457738997ef8d2d5dfc87b)

http://kwout.com/cutout/y/fn/25/az8_bor_w251.jpghttp://gmfus.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Presidentes_big-535x300.jpg

Russia’s Putin Signs Nuclear Energy Deal with Argentina as part of Latin America tour (http://www.news1130.com/2014/07/12/putin-in-argentina-on-latin-america-tour-to-build-russias-influence-trade-investments/)

The acronymn on the flag should be ССЕШ (Союз Социалист Европейский Штатах).Yeah, it was a lazy copy and paste from the NSA search engine site.

Acala
08-08-2014, 12:51 PM
Fortunately the world economy is so robust that we can handle a trade war no problem.

Mike4Freedom
08-08-2014, 03:10 PM

I have to call this post out, We are far more fascist and communist over here. Believe it or not, go to Italy and start a drink stand. You wont be shut down by fascist jack boot cops. If you also add up all out taxes, Federal income, SS, medicare, state, local, we pay more taxes over here then they do in Italy. They just have one higher income tax. Countries like Italy will be fine. They have very diverse agriculture.

heavenlyboy34
08-08-2014, 03:44 PM
I have to call this post out, We are far more fascist and communist over here. Believe it or not, go to Italy and start a drink stand. You wont be shut down by fascist jack boot cops. If you also add up all out taxes, Federal income, SS, medicare, state, local, we pay more taxes over here then they do in Italy. They just have one higher income tax. Countries like Italy will be fine. They have very diverse agriculture.

I've heard that it's cheaper and easier to trade with foreigners from places like Italy as well. (correct me if I'm wrong)

HOLLYWOOD
08-08-2014, 03:47 PM
I have to call this post out, We are far more fascist and communist over here. Believe it or not, go to Italy and start a drink stand. You wont be shut down by fascist jack boot cops. If you also add up all out taxes, Federal income, SS, medicare, state, local, we pay more taxes over here then they do in Italy. They just have one higher income tax. Countries like Italy will be fine. They have very diverse agriculture.I know there is practically zero freedom or liberty left in America today... the EU is a far lesser evil in today's tyrant world of governments, they still have little sovereignty with all this EU/ECB/NATO unity BS... Germany, can't continue trade with Russia if they wanted to, the US has a tight grip on the German government and as well, German business which are revenue dependent on US trade/subsidies. Same for the smaller weaker nations, in which the US government steals from American taxpayers, to subsidizes European governments and their programs, especially costly defense. This is why EU members can let people keep more of their earning/paychecks or EU .gov providing better benefits from their social engineering. Either way, American taxpayers lose in the deal and it should be brought to sunlight and cutting off all foreign aid and the EU/world start paying for defense/protection if they want it.

There was a great article about the restricted agreement between the UK/US in which the US will pickup most of the UK defense costs(Navy/Air Force/Intel/etc). The article with docs has been scrubbed from the internet and from all search engines. US DOJ initiated the legal removal.

I'm looking at my mobile phone bill and it has like 10 taxes, fees, surcharges(fed/state/locals taking a cut)... same goes for my utility bills, which besides all the piggyback leeching line items, are going up again along with everything else government. I would say, it's NEO-Fascism in America today with RICO partnership. But, all these government coincide to what is written in the 10 Planks of the Communist Manifesto.

Qaddafi was correct, when he said "The United States America is a dictatorship on their people, as well as the world".

Mike4Freedom
08-08-2014, 05:35 PM
I've heard that it's cheaper and easier to trade with foreigners from places like Italy as well. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Not really sure about that. Probably less regulations, lol.

Yeah Hollywood, that is what I meant. It just always gets on my nerves when people from this country always think its the ultimate land of freedom when its far from it.

orenbus
08-08-2014, 06:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBoDGCzithE

VIDEODROME
08-08-2014, 06:19 PM
Time to stock up on Russian Vodka?

heavenlyboy34
08-08-2014, 06:24 PM
Time to stock up on Russian Vodka?

And Russian women ;) :D

Danke
08-08-2014, 07:13 PM

Sorry HB, there is a ban on US fruits.

Danke
08-08-2014, 07:13 PM

heavenlyboy34
08-08-2014, 07:50 PM

That has nothing to do with what you quoted, but...okay... :rolleyes: Whatever floats yer boat in dankeland.

Natural Citizen
08-08-2014, 08:00 PM
Stocks in Russian food companies soar amid Western food ban...

Shares in some of Russian food producers have added almost 40 percent by midday on Friday. The surge comes a day after Moscow imposed a one-year ban on imports of food products from the West.

Shares in one of Russia’s biggest agricultural holdings Razgulay (http://moex.com/en/issue.aspx?code=GRAZ) shot up 39.87 percent by Friday afternoon, according to Moscow Stock Exchange data.

Stocks in the Russian Sea fish and Seafood producer surged 34.85 percent, GlavTorgProduct stocks also rose 35 percent.

Meat manufacturer Cherkizovo saw an 8.25 percent rise, the Ostankino meat processing plant had an 18.5 percent boost.

This increase has far outpaced the overall dynamics of Russia’s key indices, the RTS and MICEX, which were up 0.92 percent and 0.38 percent respectively.

Russian farmers were mostly inspired by the decision, calling it a unique and historic opportunity to develop domestic production.

By contrast, Western farmers have already started ringing alarm bells saying the ban would cost an estimated $16 billion (http://rt.com/business/178708-russia-europe-food-ban/), and warning of a possible crisis situation.

Continued - Stocks in Russian food companies soar... (http://rt.com/business/178924-russia-food-ban-companies/)

Natural Citizen
08-08-2014, 10:35 PM
This got me to chuckling a bit...

A massive Canadian transport plane has arrived in Kiev carrying US $4.5 million worth of military equipment to help Ukraine “protect its eastern border against Russian aggression.”

The flight marks the first in a series, and all of the items will be delivered by the CC-130J Hercules plane. Canadian military personnel accompanied the equipment to Ukraine.

The news comes after Russia banned the imports of fruit, vegetables, meat, fish, and dairy products from the 28 countries of the EU, the US, Canada, Norway, and Australia for one year.

Russia’s ban is set to cost Canadian pork farmers more than $500 million. “We will not be intimidated by these kinds of tactics,” Canadian Industry Minister James Moore said.

NATO plane arrives in Ukraine with $4.5 mn worth of military aid for Kiev troops (http://rt.com/news/179136-nato-plane-arrives-ukraine/)

Aside - Reports of Russia’s military build-up on Ukraine border groundless - Moscow (http://rt.com/news/178444-russia-military-ukraine-nato/)

Natural Citizen
08-11-2014, 03:20 PM
Sanctions bite-back: Bickering, EU infighting over Russia retaliation...

There is growing dissent in the EU over policies that led to a de fact trade war with Russia. Meanwhile the countries not toeing the line are reaping the benefits, irritating those who jumped on the sanctions bandwagon.

Greek members of the European Parliament demanded Sunday that the EU cancel sanctions against Russia. MEPs Kostantinos Papadakis and Sotiris Zarianopoulos said in a letter to some senior EU officials that Russia’s ban on food import from the EU, which was Moscow’s response (http://rt.com/business/178636-russia-bans-products-medvedev/) to anti-Russian sanctions, was ruinous to Greek agriculture.

Estonian President Toomas Hendrik Ilves lashed out at Switzerland for taking a neutral stance in the conflict, which allows its bankers and traders to profit in the Russian market.

"Switzerland must live with the criticism that it has only dispensed with its own sanctions to gain an advantage for its banking sector," the Estonian leader said in an interview with Sonntags Zeitung newspaper published on Sunday.

Switzerland, not being an EU member, is not obliged to enforce all anti-Russian sanctions imposed by the union. It took measures last week to ensure that it does not serve as a route to bypass EU’s sanctions, but declined to impose its own.

Bern cited a need to remain neutral, especially since it is now chairing the Organization for Cooperation and Security in Europe, a key mediator in the Ukrainian crisis.

"The concept of neutrality is for me as empty today as ever before," said Ilves.

The US and its allies have been imposing increasingly tough sanctions against Russia as punishment for its stance in the Ukrainian crisis. They accuse Russia of supporting the armed militia in eastern Ukraine, which is fighting against the Kiev-loyal troops. Moscow accuses the Western countries of hypocrisy, saying they are turning a blind eye to any crimes committed by the Ukrainian regime, which they helped to take over power in the first place.

Continued - Sanctions bite-back: Bickering, EU infighting over Russia retaliation (http://rt.com/news/179348-russia-sanctions-europe-protests/)

Aside - China to start direct sales of fruit and vegetables to Russia (http://rt.com/business/179376-russia-china-fruit-vegetable/)

Poland asks US to buy apples banned by Russia (http://rt.com/business/179332-poland-us-import-apples/)

Who is hit hardest by Russia's trade ban? (http://rt.com/business/178888-russia-trade-ban-who-hurts/)