PDA

View Full Version : immigrant kids have addresses/contact info on them?

surf
08-06-2014, 11:06 AM
was watching the independents last night and they had Benjamin Powell on talking about the kids coming into the country. he mentioned something that kind of took my breath away: apparently the majority of the kids came to this country with a name or an address on them (written on a belt was on example) - places the kids would be cared for.

hadn't heard this prior. offers a different solution and paints a different picture than the one where parents were sending their children north on their own.

can't find the youtube clip. mods, feel free to move.

Pericles
08-06-2014, 01:07 PM
FedEx, UPS. and DHL don't deliver kids.

Zippyjuan
08-07-2014, 04:04 PM
A lot are trying to join family or relatives already in the country.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2014/08/immigrant_children_in_louisian.html

Gasparian said on Friday that the program would focus on a type of deportation relief called special immigrant juvenile status for children who have been abused, abandoned or neglected by one or more parents.

"Many of these children' are fleeing violence. ...There may be people that they are fleeing from," Gasparian said. "Many of them deserve protection."

Elbert, with the Congress of Day Laborers, said that many of the children she meets with are fleeing gangs in Honduras.

"They are looking to join their mother or father here in New Orleans after they were left at a young age with grandparents or uncles," Elbert said. "And as they get older, their kids can't go to school anymore because leaving the house to go to school, they are being threatened by gangs, with gang members often forcing girls to join gangs as their girlfriends.

"I have heard of kids as young as 8 that they are trying to recruit. And so their parents send for them now, many after not seeing their parents since the hurricane (Katrina), because there kids will never have a life back in Honduras since it is so violent."

Danke
08-07-2014, 04:09 PM

I'm a little verklempt.

dannno
08-07-2014, 04:14 PM

Well first they have to get a tour of our local internment camps.