PDA

View Full Version : Weigel article on how Jack Hunter took over at rare.us and turned it into a success

jct74
08-05-2014, 04:33 PM
The Avenger Without a Mask
A controversial Rand Paul aide has shown that he has the Pauls’ knack for the comeback.

By David Weigel
AUG. 5 2014 5:43 PM

Sen. Rand Paul left the stage, the applause died down, and the leaders of Young Americans for Liberty had a problem—there was time to kill. A panel of liberty-movement congressmen was en route to Northern Virginia from the Capitol, where they’d just held late votes. So Jeff Frazee, the 31-year-old who has led YAL ever since it was spun off from Ron Paul’s 2008 campaign, came onstage to introduce “a good friend of the cause.”

With that, Frazee brought out Jack Hunter. One year earlier, when Hunter still worked for Sen. Paul, the Washington Free Beacon dug through everything he’d published as “the Southern Avenger,” a truth-teller in a Confederate flag luchador mask. According to the younger Hunter, John Wilkes Booth’s heart was “in the right place,” and whites had lost the “right to celebrate their own cultural identity.” Americans worried about keeping their country were not “wrong to deplore the millions of Mexicans coming here now.”

Paul stood by Hunter for more than a week, until he resigned and Paul could distance himself from his former aide’s “stupid” oeuvre. Hunter scaled back his participation in that year’s YAL conference.

Since leaving Paul-world, Hunter has become the creative force behind a thriving conservative news site. In April 2013, Cox Media launched the website Rare, hoping to create a libertarian news site along the lines of what the Huffington Post has done for liberal readers. Rare puttered along with low traffic in its early days—at the start of 2014, the site reportedly had fewer than 1 million unique views per month. Staffers who’d hit the exits were dishing about a broken product model and rudderless editorial team.

read more:
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2014/08/jack_hunter_the_former_southern_avenger_rand_paul_ s_ex_aide_makes_a_comeback.single.html

Kotin
08-05-2014, 04:36 PM
Jack Hunter is a true supporter of liberty.. and further, he is a great messenger and quite proficient at presenting the message in a more palatable way.. hes one of the nicest and most genuine people I have ever met in this movement.. and hes doing a great job at Rare..

TaftFan
08-05-2014, 04:45 PM
Jack's turned his Rand Paul 2016 page, with over 170,000 likes, into an exclusive outlet for posting Rare articles.

jct74
08-05-2014, 04:48 PM
Jack Hunter is a true supporter of liberty.. and further, he is a great messenger and quite proficient at presenting the message in a more palatable way.. hes one of the nicest and most genuine people I have ever met in this movement.. and hes doing a great job at Rare..

I didn't even know he was editor there, but I have noticed in the past 6 months or so they have been putting out a lot of great content, especially stuff about Rand, Amash, Massie and other stories about the liberty movement. Before then I really had not noticed them much before, which makes sense since the article says Jack took over around the beginning of this year.

limequat
08-05-2014, 04:52 PM
Wow!

Weigel really addresses the whole liberty movement here. I think many of us can relate.

Matt Collins
08-05-2014, 06:05 PM
In other words... voters dont care about stupid shit that the media keeps bringing up. :rolleyes:

RonPaulMall
08-07-2014, 10:56 AM
Wow!

Weigel really addresses the whole liberty movement here. I think many of us can relate.

Weigel is the same scumbag that he's always been. Note how he claims Hunter debuted with two articles "the Southern Avenger never would have written". He's suggesting that anybody who thinks Lincoln was a monster or opposes mass immigration from South of the Border (in other words, the bulk of the people on this board) are racists, and furthermore, he's suggesting that hating Lincoln and hating the drug war and NSA are somehow inconsistent. In other words, this is just another excuse for Weigel to paint Ron Paul and all his supporters crazy racists. Weigel has made a career of being the mainstream media's hatchet man on Ron.