PDA

View Full Version : Relatively Small ChipIn: Boots on the Ground, In Iowa, Right Before the Caucus!!

tonyr1988
12-02-2007, 02:22 AM
First, I know that this isn't the most appropriate forum for this topic, and I apologize for that. However, time is not really on my side, and I know that a lot of people only look through this section, since it's the most popular. Hopefully you can forgive me for my little spam. I promise I'll only do it once. :D

Second, here's what I'm talking about:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=44957

If there's anything you can do to help, it would be much appreciative. Every dollar counts - literally. At the very least, you can help me pay for parking at the airport. :)

Third, just to clarify, I got the price ($285) from the cheapest plane ticket, round trip, that I could find. If it's late, I may end up paying more (I'll either scrounge up enough money, or ask for it for Christmas), but there's a very small chance that I may find a better deal once I can actually pay for it. If that's the case, I promise that I'll use any money left over to purchase material from the official campaign store (I would donate it, but I think that's illegal). But again, there's a very very small chance of that happening.

Sorry again about the spamming. Please forgive me! :p I promise I won't do it again - I just wanted to have one little thread in the mainstream forum section.

TechnoGuyRob
12-02-2007, 02:25 AM
I'll give this the morning bump. I've been bled dry, but if you don't get anything after a few days I'll chip in to get the ball rolling.

Eric21ND
12-02-2007, 02:30 AM
Iowa worries me.....I bet we come in 5th the way it is now.

tonyr1988
12-02-2007, 02:32 AM
Thanks a ton. I hope I don't come off as a leecher - I was trying to figure out the best way to let people know about it without being too intrusive.

What do you think are the chances that I could get close to the goal (like 50% of the way?)? If there's a somewhat-decent chance, I can go ahead and use my credit card to reserve the tickets - I just don't want to be in debt when I come back. :p At the same time, I may be able to find some better prices on tickets if I buy earlier (if you couldn't tell...I rarely fly :D). hmmm....I'll sleep on it. Any frequent flyers that have tips on finding the best deals?

tonyr1988
12-02-2007, 05:58 AM
Iowa worries me.....I bet we come in 5th the way it is now.

That's what I had thought before, but I don't think it will be as bad as we thought a few months ago.

First of all, a 5th place finish wouldn't be fun, but it wouldn't be terrible. Look at it this way: if we get 5th, that means we beat at least one "frontrunner": probably McCain, Thompson, or Giuliani. In that case, I guarantee the media would cover them in a negative light, and Paul in a positive light. And that's with 5th place!

Plus, the campaign pointed out that Iowa generally has low turnout in the caucus. If we can get 25,000 votes, statewide, for Paul, he's almost guaranteed a 3rd-place finish. 25,000 is a lot, but it's definitely achievable. Also, there's a decent chance that Giuliani and Thompson (and maybe McCain) will make some last-minute attempts to gain ground in Iowa. Since Frudy McRomneybee are all the same, and Iowa voters are infamously quick candidate-shifters, there's a chance that Romney and Huckabee will lose some decent ground, spreading the field for us.

DXDoug
12-02-2007, 06:02 AM
Ya Iowa we could work on ! Letters , This , Anything!

tonyr1988
12-02-2007, 08:51 AM
Ya Iowa we could work on ! Letters , This , Anything!
Yeah, it seems like there's a fresh renewal of interest in Iowa for this last month before the caucus (from the campaign and the grassroots). There are a couple of other places to help to, like:

Letter Writing (http://www.rp-supporters.com/letters.html)
These guys (basically in the same situation as me) (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=44065)

And I'm sure many others, too.

Fyretrohl
12-02-2007, 09:00 AM
Hmmm...I got a Mitt Romney email inviting me to Iowa. Campaign was paying for gas and lodging, etc. We only had to pay for our own food.

tonyr1988
12-02-2007, 09:29 AM
Hmmm...I got a Mitt Romney email inviting me to Iowa. Campaign was paying for gas and lodging, etc. We only had to pay for our own food.

Wow - was Romney going to pay for you gas up there and back, too? Paul is paying for everything except the trip, and that's where I'm having problems at.

Maybe I should take advantage of Romney's, have a "revelation," and start canvassing for Paul. :)

hopeforamerica
12-02-2007, 09:33 AM
I just chipped in a small amount. I think it's a great idea!

tonyr1988
12-02-2007, 09:52 AM
I just chipped in a small amount. I think it's a great idea!

Yay - thanks a lot! That helps me a ton...you got the gears turning. :p

Fyretrohl
12-02-2007, 09:57 AM
Unfortunately, I did not keep the email to confirm what was and was not being paid.

tonyr1988
12-02-2007, 10:26 AM
Unfortunately, I did not keep the email to confirm what was and was not being paid.

That's a darn shame. I was hoping to hitch a ride from one of those Romney buses that were at the Ames Straw Poll....:D

cswake
12-02-2007, 10:41 AM
Iowa worries me.....I bet we come in 5th the way it is now.The message sells itself. If we can reach the 700k voters in the letter writing campaign well before the 24 days they've allotted, it will allow a lot of time for the brush fire to spread. :)

tonyr1988
12-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Sorry....gotta do a small bumpity-bump. If anyone has any questions, concerns, or suggestions for me, please feel free to bring them up, either in the thread or via PM.

tonyr1988
12-03-2007, 02:56 PM
Does anyone have recommendations for "alternate" fundraising ideas?

I thought about offering to do things for people (like shovel snow, even though we get so little), and hoping that they throw a couple bucks in extra because a young kid is getting politically active (plus, it's a great way to talk to them about Paul!) The only problem is that we probably won't get snow except for maybe once before Christmas, but it could be fun.

The only other thing I could think of would be to go door-to-door and just ask people for donations (+ canvassing). I just don't want it to come off that the Paul campaign consists of a bunch of leechers. :) At the same time, we have a lot of students do door-to-door "funraising" for things like overseas trips.

Any ideas?

tonyr1988
12-05-2007, 09:49 AM
Sorry, gonna do one more tiny bump.

I'm running out of time, and (unfortunately) still have quite a ways to go.

hopeforamerica
12-05-2007, 10:10 AM
You mean I'm the only one to help?!!! I'm sad. The more people we have with boots on the ground in Iowa the better!!!