PDA

View Full Version : Police kill bystander in California standoff

phill4paul
08-03-2014, 04:57 AM
PICO RIVERA, Calif. (AP) — A Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy accidentally shot and killed a man during a gunfight with a wanted parolee who invaded the man's house and took his wife hostage, authorities said Saturday.

The deputy mistook Frank Mendoza, 54, for the parolee during an 8-hour standoff that ended with SWAT officers storming his home in the suburb of Pico Rivera to rescue his wife and kill the suspect, said William McSweeney, chief of the sheriff's detective division.

He said the confusion occurred after Cedric Ramirez, 24, traded gunfire with deputies who were trying to arrest him for parole violations around 5 p.m. Friday. Ramirez broke into Mendoza's home through a rear window. Deputies went to the front door to rush an adult and two children out of the house when Ramirez appeared in a hallway and began shooting at them, McSweeney said.

The deputies fired back and ran for cover in the front yard. Seconds later, a man ran out of the door.

"Believing the man was Ramirez, a deputy fired two shots at the man," McSweeney said. When one of the evacuated residents recognized that the fallen man was Mendoza, deputies tried to rescue him but he was dead by the time paramedics reached him.

"This incident was beyond tragic, and all of law enforcement grieves with the Mendoza family," McSweeney said. "We have made personal contact with the family, and have expressed our regret and sadness over these events."

Mendoza's wife was not harmed during the standoff, and no deputies were injured.

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/crime/article/Suspect-dead-after-LA-County-hostage-standoff-5664368.php

tod evans
08-03-2014, 05:06 AM
"This incident was beyond tragic, and all of law enforcement grieves with the Mendoza family,"

Well there, it's all better now....:mad:

Constitutional Paulicy
08-03-2014, 05:10 AM
It's all part of the new rules of engagement. According to the authorities, "in a standoff, if your standing by as a bystander, it's off with ya". It's their redefined interpretation of "standoff".

Schifference
08-03-2014, 05:40 AM
I think it is kinda funny that facial recognition software can pick somebody out at a football stadium yet cops cannot identify their suspect.

LibForestPaul
08-03-2014, 06:32 AM
I think it is kinda funny that facial recognition software can pick somebody out at a football stadium yet cops cannot identify their suspect.

Or whether a potential suspect is NOT in possession of a weapon.

thoughtomator
08-03-2014, 07:58 AM
I'm stunned that a) they fired only two shots at him; and b) one actually hit

JK/SEA
08-03-2014, 08:09 AM

exactly..so why are we still talking about this?

next.

RJB
08-03-2014, 08:12 AM

Don't forget this one either:

and no deputies were injured.

Henry Rogue
08-03-2014, 08:34 AM
When one of the evacuated residents recognized that the fallen man was Mendoza, deputies tried to rescue him Huh?

mrsat_98
08-03-2014, 09:25 AM
Thank State no officers where hurt. Poor guy did it to himself.

phill4paul
08-03-2014, 03:29 PM
It's all part of the new rules of engagement. According to the authorities, "in a standoff, if your standing by as a bystander, it's off with ya". It's their redefined interpretation of "standoff".

And the really cool thing? If the perp is captured alive he gets charged for it.

Christian Liberty
08-03-2014, 04:22 PM
I want to know what the parolee was actually wanted for.

If he was wanted for some victimless "crime" than I absolutely put all the blame on the cops/

On the other hand, if he was wanted for a real crime, a fair chunk of the blame would belong with him.

tod evans
08-03-2014, 04:25 PM
I want to know what the parolee was actually wanted for.

You need to report for reprogramming comrade...

Details not included in the "official" press release are not pertinent to the states propaganda..

Further thought crimes may result in yourself being placed on parole...;)

TheTexan
08-03-2014, 04:28 PM
traded gunfire with deputies ... no deputies were injured.

This could have turned out a lot worse, I'm glad they're ok

Working Poor
08-03-2014, 05:28 PM

they can't tell a 24 year old from a 54 year old...

Christian Liberty
08-03-2014, 05:31 PM
You need to report for reprogramming comrade...

Details not included in the "official" press release are not pertinent to the states propaganda..

Further thought crimes may result in yourself being placed on parole...;)

lol!

To be clear, I'm not saying that what happened was OK even if the guy was wanted for murder. But, it could make the difference in my mind between manslaughter and murder on the part of the cops.

tod evans
08-03-2014, 05:37 PM

No cop suit is the only relevant criteria when going "plew-plew-plew"....

Officer safety and all.

navy-vet
08-03-2014, 06:33 PM
Another case in point against having 911 as your primary home defense plan.

phill4paul
08-03-2014, 06:41 PM

I get mistaken for a 24 year old all the time. :toady:

Anti Federalist
08-03-2014, 07:12 PM
"This incident was beyond tragic, and all of law enforcement grieves with the Mendoza family," McSweeney said. "We have made personal contact with the family, and have expressed our regret and sadness over these events."

Sounds like the FedCoats when they "accidentally" smoke a wedding party or school with a drone missile.

Blah blah blah.

This, to the cops, is just collateral damage in the daily War on Us.