PDA

View Full Version : Cops: What concerns us is that they are filming over private property and it's gated

aGameOfThrones
08-02-2014, 08:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI5ER1g5UKw

Los Angeles authorities are weighing whether they may legally block hobbyists from flying camera-equipped drones over police stations.

The inquiry was prompted Friday after the LAPD confronted a Southern California man outside its Hollywood station. The cops told him he was trespassing for using a drone to capture footage of the station's parking lot, and ordered him to stop. The incident is posted to YouTube.

“What concerns us is that they are filming over private property and it's gated – you’re looking at the layout of the police station, how we operate, personnel license plates,” police Lt. Michael Ling said. “It’s kind of like if it was your house, if they’re flying over your backyard you’d start asking questions about it.”

The man confronted by police for filming its station was Daniel Saulmon, 42. He has been arrested many times for recording police from the ground and recently took to the airways, using a drone to watch the waters.

"They bring up the expectation of privacy, I’m not buying it,” Saulmon told the Los Angeles Times. "Suddenly they’re talking about how I’m trespassing on a public sidewalk. They do not have an expectation of privacy…if you want privacy, build a roof."

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/08/dont-fly-camera-equipped-drones-over-our-police-stations-lapd-says/

TheTexan
08-02-2014, 08:15 PM
These cops are heroes who deserve privacy. For all they know, that man spying on them was a domestic terrorist cop-hater looking to kill a few cops, like Christopher Dorner.

Their job is dangerous enough without wackos spying on them. (Jeez, all these cops want to do is help and protect people, gosh!)

phill4paul
08-02-2014, 08:18 PM
“What concerns us is that they are filming over private property and it's gated – you’re looking at the layout of the police station, how we operate, personnel license plates,” police Lt. Michael Ling said. “It’s kind of like if it was your house, if they’re flying over your backyard you’d start asking questions about it.”

No. "Your", as in an individuals house, was bought and paid for by them. Therefore, it is private. The police station was bought and paid for by the "public." Therefore, it is public.

Anti Federalist
08-02-2014, 08:19 PM

So, if I shoot down a cop drone over my property, no foul, right?

Right...?

TheTexan
08-02-2014, 08:20 PM
So, if I shoot down a cop drone over my property, no foul, right?

Right...?

You're not a hero with a dangerous job.

Anti Federalist
08-02-2014, 08:22 PM
You're not a hero with a dangerous job.

Yassuh...

TheTexan
08-02-2014, 08:27 PM
It actually just occurred to me that military members are viewed as heroes with dangerous jobs, but they don't get near as much special privileges as cops do. In fact ex-military are generally treated like garbage.

It's pretty clear why that is, but just a random observation..

Danke
08-02-2014, 08:47 PM
These cops are heroes who deserve privacy. For all they know, that man spying on them was a domestic terrorist cop-hater looking to kill a few cops, like Christopher Dorner.

Their job is dangerous enough without wackos spying on them. (Jeez, all these cops want to do is help and protect people, gosh!)

ty

aGameOfThrones
08-02-2014, 08:58 PM
Aren't the security cameras in the police building doing the same thing?

Btw, those brave heroes with that abundance of intelligence is reassuring.

LibForestPaul
08-03-2014, 06:48 AM
It actually just occurred to me that military members are viewed as heroes with dangerous jobs, but they don't get near as much special privileges as cops do. In fact ex-military are generally treated like garbage.

Because the top .1% fear them. Pussy cops are feared only by the bottom 99.9%

RJB
08-03-2014, 07:47 AM
LOL @ (to officer)"Are you growing something illegal back there?"

They say far rightwing, leftwing and libertarian minded people are too paranoid of government, but it's really the opposite.

Walk by a federal building, courthouse, police station... They are heavily fortified against the public with gated parking for employees, cameras, check points and tons of people with guns. Gas station employees have a more dangerous job than public officials and they provide a service that I actually need, but they aren't armed.

I was in a hippiefied city. I walked down a street past residential houses turned businesses with acupuncturists, massage therapists, arty shops, etc. with welcoming signs, smiling business owners, and flowerbeds. I came to the last building on the street-- a DOT building with signs, not of welcome but of no trespassing, warning that the premises was under surveillance, scowling government workers, barbed wire fences, etc. More and more government entities are fortifying themselves against us. Instead of asking that about libertarians, the public should ask: why is the government so paranoid?

tod evans
08-03-2014, 07:54 AM
Great thread!

Shine light on these cockroaches....

limequat
08-03-2014, 07:56 AM
Flip the narrative, I love it!

JK/SEA
08-03-2014, 07:57 AM
damn idiots...they have surface to air missiles right?...whats the problem?

Henry Rogue
08-03-2014, 08:41 AM
LOL @ (to officer)"Are you growing something illegal back there?"

They say far rightwing, leftwing and libertarian minded people are too paranoid of government, but it's really the opposite.

Walk by a federal building, courthouse, police station... They are heavily fortified against the public with gated parking for employees, cameras, check points and tons of people with guns. Gas station employees have a more dangerous job than public officials and they provide a service that I actually need, but
they aren't armed.

I was in a hippiefied city. I walked down a street past residential houses turned businesses with acupuncturists, massage therapists, arty shops, etc. with welcoming signs, smiling business owners, and flowerbeds. I came to the last building on the street-- a DOT building with signs, not of welcome but of no trespassing, warning that the premises was under surveillance, scowling government workers, barbed wire fences, etc. More and more government entities
are fortifying themselves against us. Instead of asking that about libertarians, the public should ask: why is the government so paranoid?

Cops shouldn't mind if they have nothing to hide.

mrsat_98
08-03-2014, 09:15 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ-BYKCUqLg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDVOMk8-d3U

RJB
08-03-2014, 09:57 AM
Yep. Keystone Cops with M-16s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ-BYKCUqLg

Tod
08-03-2014, 10:40 AM
I wonder if anyone anywhere has started a web site with photos of their department members, their cars, and their homes, with addresses?

Christian Liberty
08-03-2014, 10:46 AM
How in the world is a police station private property? Would these punks mind telling me who they stole the property from? Because they certainly didn't pay for it with their own money...

It actually just occurred to me that military members are viewed as heroes with dangerous jobs,

Dangerous for sure, but I don't view them as heroes.

but they don't get near as much special privileges as cops do. In fact ex-military are generally treated like garbage.

I actually don't know why that is. Maybe I'm just dumb:p

acptulsa
08-03-2014, 10:48 AM
If that cop wants that station to be private property, make him take out a mortgage and buy it from the citizens of Los Angeles.

phill4paul
08-03-2014, 02:28 PM
I know where every Trooper, Sheriff and city cop live within 15 miles. There are 7 of them all told. They park their cars in the drive in front of their homes. Seems to me that if they wanted to hide their identities they wouldn't allow them to use them as conveyance between home and work.