PDA

View Full Version : NYPD Put Chokehold on Pregnant Woman for Illegal Grilling

Suzanimal
08-02-2014, 07:15 PM
Wow, illegal grilling...I have no words for this insanity.

http://i.imgur.com/IlPe6zBm.jpg

A seven-months pregnant woman released photos on Monday that she said show an NYPD cop putting her in a chokehold after officers accused her and her family of illegally grilling on the sidewalk.

The images, pulled from a cell phone video of the incident, shows what appears to be an officer with his arm around the throat of Rosan Miller, 27, as he tried to place her under arrest.

Officers showed up at a Bradford Street in East New York home at around 7:30 p.m. Saturday, where they spotted Miller’s husband, Moses, grilling on a public sidewalk before asking him to relocate to the back yard, cops said.

The man refused to hand over his ID and began to walk away before cops tried to grab him and place him under arrest, cops said.

That’s when Rosan and her brother, John Miller, started slapping at police preventing them from making the arrest.

The cellphone video, which was shot by a bystander, shows the soon-to-be mom resisting an officer’s attempt to cuff her and the officer’s left arm around her neck, as her 7-year-old looks on.

Cops are prohibited from using chokeholds on suspects, and police said the NYPD’s Internal Affairs Bureau is reviewing the incident.

“She was grilling in front of her home, not committing any crime,” former city councilman Charles Barron said at a press conference Monday, where he claimed at least one of the cops called Miller’s husband the N-word.

“I don’t care what anyone says, there is a powder keg in this town” the fiery ex-pol said, suggesting those “harassed” by police may begin to react violently. “ Don’t blame me, the social forecaster, when there is an explosion in this town,”

Rosan Miller was not injured, and was given a summons for disorderly conduct.

John Miller was charged with obstruction of justice and harassment, while Moses Miller was charged with resisting arrest.

The NYPD’s use of chokeholds has come under increased scrutiny since the July 17 death of Staten Island man Eric Garner, who police stopped for illegally selling cigarettes.

http://nypost.com/2014/07/28/new-chokehold-video-shows-nypd-scuffle-with-pregnant-woman/

jbauer
08-02-2014, 07:20 PM
Illegally making their own food. What a fucked up world.

Anti Federalist
08-02-2014, 07:27 PM
Remember what I told the anti smoking Nazis, what would be next?

http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/i_told_you_so_stephen_colbert.gif

phill4paul
08-02-2014, 07:30 PM

http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/i_told_you_so_stephen_colbert.gif

Sure do.

phill4paul
08-02-2014, 07:32 PM
That’s when Rosan and her brother, John Miller, started slapping shooting at police preventing them from making the arrest.

Slapping ain't getting you nowhere.

Henry Rogue
08-02-2014, 08:00 PM
while Moses Miller was charged with resisting arrest.
Why wasn't he charged with the alleged crime that he was being arrested for??? Because he committed no crime that could result in an arrest?

Christian Liberty
08-02-2014, 08:03 PM
NYPD are scumbags.

Anti Federalist
08-02-2014, 08:09 PM
The NYPD’s use of chokeholds has come under increased scrutiny since the July 17 death of Staten Island man Eric Garner, who police stopped for illegally selling cigarettes.

No, he was not.

He was killed for Contempt of Cop.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?455996-NYC-Man-choked-to-death-by-cops-over-%28unfound%29-untaxed-cigarettes&highlight=Eric+Garner

TheTexan
08-02-2014, 08:16 PM
illegally grilling

Well, there you have it. If you don't want to get in trouble with officers, just follow the law. Pretty simple!

aGameOfThrones
08-02-2014, 08:45 PM
Everything is a nail!

jkr
08-02-2014, 09:27 PM
but but but LINCOLN
but but but the "civil rights act"
but but but states rights r bad

yeah...but but but

specsaregood
08-02-2014, 10:10 PM
Illegally making their own food. What a fucked up world.

I dunno, should somebody be able to have a grill in the middle of a sidewalk? Should somebody be able to push the grill out into the middle of the road and have a bbq? Maybe put a picnic bench out there blocking the road.

Natural Citizen
08-02-2014, 10:13 PM
I dunno, should somebody be able to have a grill in the middle of a sidewalk? Should somebody be able to push the grill out into the middle of the road and have a bbq? Maybe put a picnic bench out there blocking the road.

Heh. I know, right?

Of course, per the thread title, it seems like the gripe is with the fact that NYPD put the chokehold on her.

Brian4Liberty
08-02-2014, 10:44 PM
She did it to herself.

fr33
08-03-2014, 12:02 AM
She did it to herself.

Apparently so. It must suck to live there.

Here, we'd be happy if it happened. It must suck to live there.

Czolgosz
08-03-2014, 02:17 AM
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have."

People are getting what they deserve. It's not as though the aforementioned quote is a new revelation.

bunklocoempire
08-03-2014, 04:42 AM
Officers showed up at a Bradford Street in East New York home at around 7:30 p.m. Saturday, where they spotted Miller’s husband, Moses, grilling on a public sidewalk before asking him to relocate to the back yard, cops said.

The man refused to hand over his ID and began to walk away before cops tried to grab him and place him under arrest, cops said.

Muh sidewalks? What a "privilege" those sidewalks are. Are folks licensed and needing ID to use them? Was Miller's sidewalk weight tax not current? Is not Miller extorted to "support" ALL sidewalks?

Easily avoidable and obviously just as easily escalate-able. Thanks for keeping everyone "safe" -except the resistors of course.:mad:

A perverted compliance check to go along with perverted law. gggggggrrrrrrrrrrrr

LibForestPaul
08-03-2014, 06:37 AM

Define sidewalk. Define grill. Define middle.

Would not happen without government controlled property.

DamianTV
08-03-2014, 07:19 AM
Well, there you have it. If you don't want to get in trouble with officers, just follow the law. Pretty simple!

Yes, exactly what they want, everyone to Suffer in Silence.

specsaregood
08-03-2014, 07:57 AM
Define sidewalk. Define grill. Define middle.
Unless you are ESL, I would think those words are all pretty commonly defined.

Let's breakdown the word "sidewalk"
Side + Walk
Side: as in on the side of a street
Walk: locomotion generally on legs

Can you find any definition of the word that includes setting up camp and cooking food?

Suzanimal
08-03-2014, 08:12 AM

Grilling on the sidewalk happens all the time...oh the anarchy. Sorry specs, I love ya but I don't see a problem with grilling on the sidewalk.:)

Do you feel the same way about this guy grilling on the sidewalk?

http://i.imgur.com/WpNlnyOt.jpg

specsaregood
08-03-2014, 08:21 AM
Grilling on the sidewalk happens all the time...oh the anarchy. Sorry specs, I love ya but I don't see a problem with grilling on the sidewalk.:)
Do you feel the same way about this guy grilling on the sidewalk?
http://i.imgur.com/WpNlnyOt.jpg

the picture is a bit small; but I'd say it depends. I've only been to NY (where this article is from) once and from the tv shows I've seen the sidewalks in many places don't appear to be too wide and the streets are congested and lined with parked vehicles. (I recall it taking me 30 minutes just to find a place to park a mile away). I can easily see where in many places there setting up a grill in the sidewalk could effectively block or severly congest pedestrian traffic. And we aren't just talking about some boxes, but a very hot, smoke emitting piece of equipment.

The guy in your photo isn't blocking the sidewalk but is on the side of it. If he pushed his setup 3ft forward I'd have a problem withit. The OP article doesn't have any photos, only a couple of out of context screengrabs and not photos of the grilling setup. I'm not supporting the choking; but can you not imagine a situation where grilling on the sidewalk isn't the right thing to do?

Suzanimal
08-03-2014, 08:38 AM
the picture is a bit small; but I'd say it depends. I've only been to NY (where this article is from) once and from the tv shows I've seen the sidewalks in many places don't appear to be too wide and the streets are congested and lined with parked vehicles. (I recall it taking me 30 minutes just to find a place to park a mile away). I can easily see where in many places there setting up a grill in the sidewalk could effectively block or severly congest pedestrian traffic. And we aren't just talking about some boxes, but a very hot, smoke emitting piece of equipment.

The guy in your photo isn't blocking the sidewalk but is on the side of it. If he pushed his setup 3ft forward I'd have a problem withit. The OP article doesn't have any photos, only a couple of out of context screengrabs and not photos of the grilling setup. I'm not supporting the chocking; but can you not imagine a situation where grilling on the sidewalk isn't the right thing to do?

Sure, I can imagine a scenario where grilling on a sidewalk is probably not a good idea but I bet if his grill was actually placed in such a way as to be a nuisance, he would've been charged with more than resiting arrest.

tod evans
08-03-2014, 08:41 AM
The mere idea of living in an area with public sidewalks is abhorrent to me.

If ya' can't walk out the front door and take a leak you're not far enough out.

XNavyNuke
08-03-2014, 08:43 AM

I see that several times a year when communities have block parties. Of course the proper FEES have been paid to the city coffers and the palms of the appropriate aldermen have been greased to navigate the paperwork channels.

XNN

JK/SEA
08-03-2014, 08:43 AM
sue the fucking taxpayers 1 billion dollars for hiring these fuck wads...

Suzanimal
08-03-2014, 08:49 AM

LMAO, I owe you some rep.

specsaregood
08-03-2014, 09:01 AM
I see that several times a year when communities have block parties. Of course the proper FEES have been paid to the city coffers and the palms of the appropriate aldermen have been greased to navigate the paperwork channels.

XNN

In my area whenever they do that they also put up notices a month in advance so that anybody that will be inconvenienced by it has time to plan around it. They also go house to house and give out flyers inviting them to the party which also serves as advance notice. they don't just randomly do it whenever they feel like it.

Christian Liberty
08-03-2014, 09:07 AM

Well, we aren't that far out, lol. I couldn't do that. But at least I'm not in the middle of the city. Blech. I dislike even visiting NYC.

mrsat_98
08-03-2014, 09:09 AM
Why wasn't he charged with the alleged crime that he was being arrested for??? Because he committed no crime that could result in an arrest?

very observant

sue the fucking taxpayers 1 billion dollars for hiring these fuck wads...

an idea that is spot on and on time

Christian Liberty
If you're actually making it impossible to walk past a certain spot I could see that being a problem. I doubt that was the case.

JK/SEA
Well, we aren't that far out, lol. I couldn't do that. But at least I'm not in the middle of the city. Blech. I dislike even visiting NYC.

this is what happens when you live in a rat cage...

Christian Liberty
08-03-2014, 09:13 AM
this is what happens when you live in a rat cage...

Indeed.

I dislike Long Island and don't want to live there long term, I'm never buying a house there, but its paradise compared to NYC IMO.

The Free Hornet
08-03-2014, 01:01 PM
can you not imagine a situation where grilling on the sidewalk isn't the right thing to do?

Unattended near small children comes to mind... not much else.

Being NYC, I doubt there is much yard space. I wonder how many sidewalks were once private property. Many still are in fact (with rights of way for pedestrians).

Side + Walk

Can you find any definition of the word that includes setting up camp and cooking food?

An anaylsis of "frontyard" and "backyard" would yield the same non results.

In my area whenever they do that they also put up notices a month in advance so that anybody that will be inconvenienced by it has time to plan around it. They also go house to house and give out flyers inviting them to the party which also serves as advance notice. they don't just randomly do it whenever they feel like it.

Walking around hot grill = crime against humanity!
Barricading my car = reasonable with "advance notice".

Anti Federalist
08-03-2014, 02:37 PM

I can see your point, but, let's be honest, this not about "illegal grilling".

The chokeholds and violence stemmed from mouthing off to the cops; which in their view is a crime of the highest order, "Contempt of Cop".

In many other cases, contempt of cop has been punished, not by chokeholds, but by summary streetside execution on the spot.

They should consider themselves lucky...

phill4paul
08-03-2014, 02:43 PM

^^^^TRUTH.

LibForestPaul
08-03-2014, 05:45 PM

Side + Walk

You need to read some legal documents, might help you overcome your ignorance.

heavenlyboy34
08-03-2014, 05:58 PM

Never doubted it.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Anti Federalist again.

heavenlyboy34
08-03-2014, 06:01 PM
Roads and sidewalks are public goods. They're mostly up for grabs. I've been to places where summer parties in the street that block traffic are normal. The only way to resolve this rationally is privatization of public goods.

phill4paul
08-03-2014, 06:08 PM
Against the law to grill on your porch in an apartment complex. Against the law to grill on a side walk. Pay your fees to the electric monopoly or starve you bastadges.

devil21
08-04-2014, 01:07 AM

Zero tolerance social laws are stupid and deter critical thinking and common sense.