PDA

View Full Version : CA bill would start nation’s first diaper assistance program

tsai3904
08-02-2014, 12:30 AM
It was the last week of the month, and Shanique Brown had already spent her $515 in CalWORKs benefits. Other programs would prevent Brown and her 18-month-old son, Armani, from going hungry, but the 22-year-old single mom had no money for a necessity so basic it is often forgotten: diapers.

Armani is now potty-trained, but a new state bill seeks to ensure low-income parents will never face the challenge Brown did. If passed, Assembly Bill 1516 would make California the first state in the country to create a diaper assistance program for families on welfare.

The groundbreaking legislation comes with a price tag: more than $100 million annually, according to Jolie Onodera, principal consultant for the Senate Committee on Appropriations, which will conduct the next hearing on the bill Monday.

The bill, written by Assemblywoman Lorena Gonzalez, D-San Diego, would address that problem by giving $80 a month to each family that qualifies for CalWORKs and has a child under 2. Onodera said over 120,000 children, about 12 percent of kids enrolled in the program, would receive benefits.

More:
http://www.sacbee.com/2014/08/01/6599475/california-bill-would-start-nations.html

NorthCarolinaLiberty
08-02-2014, 04:08 AM
For an entire week, Brown stayed at home with her son, constantly asking him if he had to go to the bathroom.

Now they can ignore their kids, talk on their Obama phone, and enjoy cable all at the same time!

jbauer
08-02-2014, 06:40 AM
Dosent wic cover dippers? At what point are we going to pay for everything?

presence
08-02-2014, 07:43 AM
by giving $80 a month to each family that qualifies

I diapered my kid for <$150. 8 ply organic cotton cloth, laundry soap, vinegar, and a 3" plastic putty knife to scrape turds.

Carson
08-02-2014, 07:56 AM
It seems to me that people that can come up with this sort of idea to borrow money are exactly what type of person the central banks would want placed in positions of power.

Not only that I see nothing stopping the central banks from printing up what ever amount of cash it takes to make it happen... well maybe greed.

Why should they spend their own money on things when they can have others borrow and spend theirs for the things the central banks want personally. Think of the power the ███ could wield getting preferred politicians placed in power by exposing dirt on the competition.

"Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often... and for the same reason."

- the character of Tom Dobbs, played by Robin Williams. Line presumably written by Barry Levinson.

idiom
08-02-2014, 05:33 PM
I diapered my kid for <$150. 8 ply organic cotton cloth, laundry soap, vinegar, and a 3" plastic putty knife to scrape turds.

I hear that. I was brought up on cloth diapers. Cheap n easy.

Koz
08-02-2014, 06:59 PM
Why didn't she just take a portion of her paycheck and pay for some diapers??

Anti Federalist
08-02-2014, 07:37 PM
Why didn't she just take a portion of her paycheck and pay for some diapers??

Much easier to take a portion of yours, comrade.

nobody's_hero
08-02-2014, 11:10 PM

reported: child abuse.

Brian4Liberty
08-02-2014, 11:26 PM
The bill, written by Assemblywoman Pampers Lobbyist Lorena Gonzalez, D-San Diego

FTFY.