PDA

View Full Version : Woman Sues After Being Taken Hostage During Police Safety Drill at Nursing Home

SeanTX
07-31-2014, 11:43 AM
More state-sponsored terror and chaos, in the name of "safety."

http://news.yahoo.com/colorado-nurse-sues-being-hostage-armed-gunman-drill-235157402.html

Colorado nurse sues after being a 'hostage' in armed gunman drill
Reuters
By By Keith Coffman 17 hours ago

DENVER (Reuters) - A Colorado woman is suing the nursing home where she worked and local police for allegedly not telling her that a gunman who held her hostage was a police officer conducting a safety drill, court documents show.

Michelle Meeker claims in a lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Denver that she was terrorized when an armed man confronted her last October at the Heritage Park Care Center in Carbondale, Colorado.

Meeker, a registered nurse, was tending to one of her long-term patients when another employee told her to see what a "suspicious" man sitting in the center's day room wanted, according to the complaint.

The man then showed her a handgun he had in his waistband and ordered her into an unoccupied room.

Although the man told her in hushed tones that he was a police officer, the lawsuit says, Meeker was not informed beforehand of the drill and was unsure whether he was telling the truth.

"In a desperate plea for her life, she begged the man not to hurt her, telling him she had a young child," the complaint says.

The officer, the Carbondale police chief, and executives of the center are named as defendants.

Robert Baker, the executive director of the center and one of the named defendants, said in a statement that the facility routinely conducts safety, fire, and natural disaster drills for its residents.

snip

Meeker, who resigned shortly after the incident, is seeking unspecified monetary damages for economic loss, mental and emotional distress, and medical bills.

Dr.3D
07-31-2014, 11:56 AM
So when they have a safety drill and it involves fire, do they start a fire to make it more realistic?

That cop is lucky he didn't grab somebody who was able to blow him away.

VIDEODROME
07-31-2014, 11:58 AM
So when they have a safety drill and it involves fire, do they start a fire to make it more realistic?

That cop is lucky he didn't grab somebody who was able to blow him away.

Or jab him with the nearest Syringe full of who knows what.

tod evans
07-31-2014, 12:33 PM
Why in the Sam Hell are these idiots messing around in an old folks home in the first place?

Old folks are generally more frail than the general populace and often times have health problems that such activity would exacerbate...

Dr.3D
07-31-2014, 12:37 PM
Why in the Sam Hell are these idiots messing around in an old folks home in the first place?

Old folks are generally more frail than the general populace and often times have health problems that such activity would exacerbate...
Probably practicing so they can be in the news. You know how it goes. They always have drills that end up being real.

otherone
07-31-2014, 12:42 PM

...as long as the fire whispers that it is a "safety fire" in hushed tones.

limequat
07-31-2014, 12:42 PM
I my world, this lady and Shaneen Allen would have switched spots. Meeker would be no worse for the wear -except a DWB ticket- Allen would never have gone to jail, and the cop would be fishing lead out of his brains.

SeanTX
07-31-2014, 12:45 PM

Well, a while back they did bean-bag to death a 93-year-old WW2 vet in a nursing home, because he raised a butter knife at them or something like that -- have to be prepared for such dangerous situations! The nursing home is as much to blame as the police, they actually requested this "drill." The police wouldn't be able to do these things without their enablers (people who call 911 , etc).

LibForestPaul
07-31-2014, 01:45 PM

Frog boiling slowly in a pot.

Tod
07-31-2014, 01:48 PM

Desensitization is the concept at work here, I'd say.

green73
07-31-2014, 02:06 PM
Fucking murica.

Thor
07-31-2014, 02:16 PM
Grandma got run over by a SWAT team
Sitting there peacefully in her rocking chair
You can say there's no such thing as "Merika"
But as for all of us, we believe

satchelmcqueen
07-31-2014, 02:20 PM
if she would have hit him would she be charged with assault on a police officer? this is fucking insane. she should be able to have him convinced of kidnapping if she was really in fear. and i truly believe she was!

Anti Federalist
07-31-2014, 03:12 PM
if she would have hit him would she be charged with assault on a police officer? this is fucking insane. she should be able to have him convinced of kidnapping if she was really in fear. and i truly believe she was!

Or, as someone else suggested, shot him.

presence
07-31-2014, 03:31 PM
Shame she wasn't a CCW and didn't shoot him.

acptulsa
07-31-2014, 03:39 PM

Makes me wonder if LAPD and DHS blew open that water main to do a more realistic tsunami drill.

Yeah, that's a silly conspiracy theory, but it makes no less sense than this.

Danke
07-31-2014, 04:20 PM
You'd be amazed what whispering "I'm a police officer" gets you.

Dr.3D
07-31-2014, 04:21 PM
You'd be amazed what whispering "I'm a police officer" gets you.
Yeah, whisper that while a dope deal is going down and it could get you shot.

green73
07-31-2014, 07:09 PM
Shame on all of us, for this is what we've become.