PDA

View Full Version : Police Brutality Claims Prompt Police Depts. To Use Body Cameras – CBS Evening News

jct74
07-27-2014, 06:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu9glfBG4I4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu9glfBG4I4

NorthCarolinaLiberty
07-27-2014, 07:36 PM
Police Chief: "People tend to behave a little bit better when they know they're on camera."

Guess that's why so many of your ilk relieve citizens of their cameras.

"The thing of the past is the three second cell phone clip from--ya know--John Doe that put in and said this is what police officers did. Now, we'll show you three and half to four minutes of the contact prior to."

Right, because the average length of a citizen's Youtube video is three seconds and has never captured any "prior to" or context whatsoever.

The pigs' effort is more an attempt to control what is spinning out of control for them. Some are looking ahead, knowing they will not be able to generally stop people from filming them. They are technologically lagging behind citizens who post Youtube videos, so they are playing catch-up.

They need to control the message. I'll predict that PR departments and other pro police people will start getting very active with Youtube. They will be the publishers of these Youtube videos, so they can control the content and the comments. Their own pro police comments will perpetually appear at the top of the video and will--amazingly--be voted as favorites. Cogent arguments by people critical of police action will be screened and never appear.

Anti Federalist
07-27-2014, 08:18 PM
Police Brutality Claims Prompt Police Depts. To Use Body Cameras

Which will suffer mysterious mechanical or technical "failures" at the precise moment some poor bastard is getting the shit beat out of him.

Or being cut to ribbons by a couple hundred rounds of cop gunfire.

Or the family dog having his head blown off.

Or the baby getting a grenade tossed in his crib.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
07-27-2014, 08:22 PM
Which will suffer mysterious mechanical or technical "failures" at the precise moment some poor bastard is getting the shit beat out of him.

For sure. They'll also decline to release any video if they don't feel like it. Just like they do now.

JK/SEA
07-28-2014, 07:01 AM
a little side note. I have a cousin who banned me from my family facebook private page for posting cop vs dog vids. In just one year after my banning, she now posts cop abuse stories with video with harsh words for cops in her comments.....i'm going to take credit for waking her up, but i have not been re-instated to the family page which bears my last name......

CaptUSA
07-28-2014, 07:09 AM
I don't see how this can be anything but good. It takes away the default position of the courts which is to always take the cop's word over the citizen. With these body cams, it prevents cops from lying about what was captured.

Aside from the confrontations with the public, I'd be especially interested in recording their conversations with each other. Of course, you know those things would never be recorded!

Working Poor
07-28-2014, 07:30 AM
a little side note. I have a cousin who banned me from my family facebook private page for posting cop vs dog vids. In just one year after my banning, she now posts cop abuse stories with video with harsh words for cops in her comments.....i'm going to take credit for waking her up, but i have not been re-instated to the family page which bears my last name......

Some people are competitions over the dumbest stuff.

Henry Rogue
07-28-2014, 08:47 AM

Like in this case> http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?456473-Cop-orders-drunk-man-to-move-car-then-shoots-him

The officer's dashcam starts A MINUTE after he already shot Carlos Harris Dead....Those pesky dashcams....just turn on and off at the strangest times.

Henry Rogue
07-28-2014, 08:52 AM
For sure. They'll also decline to release any video if they don't feel like it. Just like they do now.

True. The police cam will be selectively used for pro police propaganda. Other videos will never see the light of day.

jonhowe
07-28-2014, 09:53 AM

I have also found that this issue has changed my (neo-con) dad's views. My cop postings got him into Randy Balko, and it all went from there.

Ronin Truth
07-28-2014, 10:30 AM
It might help. At least until the rash of mysterious unexplained camera malfunctions start to show up.

economics102
07-28-2014, 12:55 PM
This is very much a positive development.

I know people are saying the cops want to use it for situations when providing the added context exonerates their officers. But you know what? That's fine. If context validates an officer's actions, then good. We want to protect ALL the innocent -- including innocent cops. In the process of protecting their own, they're going to end up collecting lots of video evidence that will exonerate innocent citizens, just like what happens right now with the squad car dashcam cameras.

But I agree there will still be "malfunctions" and resistance to releasing evidence, just like we have currently with dashcam videos.