PDA

View Full Version : Some ideas for the forum community

Bradley in DC
12-01-2007, 11:23 PM
I'm hoping we can continue our community and movement beyond just one campaign.

With that in mind, I'd like to brainstorm on some suggestions:

1) create city chapters--what I had in mind was more along the lines of DefCon (http://www.defcon.org/html/defcon-groups/dc-groups-index.html) and 2600 (http://www.2600.com/meetings/).

2) have an annual national conference and quarterly regional ones. I think we should kick it off a big meeting probably for New Years, in say, Iowa or New Hampshire!

justinc.1089
12-01-2007, 11:27 PM
Eh I like just keeping it through this forum and the meetup groups mainly myself.

I fear organization because the leadership can be infiltrated, and then we lose our organization really, and it takes time for people to realize that, so for some time we would be weakened if that happened. There are just a lot of downsides to turning this into a formal organization.

The forums generally take care of decision making, so there isn't too much need for much organization. People can create websites and stuff just like we've been doing.

But I'm all for keeping this going. I think I was one of the first ones to propose the idea on here maybe? idk

Jaykzo
12-01-2007, 11:39 PM

1) create city chapters--what I had in mind was more along the lines of DefCon (http://www.defcon.org/html/defcon-groups/dc-groups-index.html) and 2600 (http://www.2600.com/meetings/).

2) have an annual national conference and quarterly regional ones. I think we should kick it off a big meeting probably for New Years, in say, Iowa or New Hampshire!

I really like the second idea. Keep this spirit alive past Ron's campaign.

torchbearer
12-01-2007, 11:40 PM

I'm down for that... but in a way.. that is a party structure. If we recapture the GOP, perhaps we will be hosting the RNC? :p

But yeh, I'm down. We are a powerful lobby.

davidhperry
12-01-2007, 11:43 PM
I really like the conference idea!

torchbearer
12-01-2007, 11:54 PM
//

Bradley in DC
12-02-2007, 12:00 AM
I really like the conference idea!

I'm thinking we throw down the gauntlet to DailyKos and CPAC. It'd be great to meet more of my new friends in person!

literatim
12-02-2007, 12:03 AM
How about organizing it separately from the Ron Paul grassroots? Make it more geared towards taking back the GOP by conservatives in general which would include getting Ron Paul elected.

Bradley in DC
12-02-2007, 12:08 AM
I have great faith in this community. Who has these needed skills?

I say we start brainstorming on session topics, speakers, etc.! :)

torchbearer
12-02-2007, 12:12 AM
I have great faith in this community. Who has these needed skills?

I say we start brainstorming on session topics, speakers, etc.! :)

Post-inauguration?

Bradley in DC
12-02-2007, 12:23 AM
Post-inauguration?

No, I'm thinking New Year's in a month.

torchbearer
12-02-2007, 12:25 AM
No, I'm thinking New Year's in a month.

Whoa... that's quick.

justinc.1089
12-02-2007, 12:27 AM
Are we really sure we want to form any organization, as in having people that have power to say anything about us? I mean that always ends up corrupting stuff. NRA, Republican Party, Pat Robertson for Christians, etc... get my drift?

I just don't see the need, we're doing an awesome job now as things are, and we can continue this same way.

justinc.1089
12-02-2007, 12:33 AM
Oh yeah certainly. If we succeed and really change things in like 20 years from now to ensure liberty and peace more than they have been ensured in the past then this will go down in history as the Ron Paul r[evol]ution without a doubt. He will be like our George Washington, with us being the soldiers following him to fight for liberty.

Bradley in DC
12-02-2007, 12:39 AM
Are we really sure we want to form any organization, as in having people that have power to say anything about us? I mean that always ends up corrupting stuff. NRA, Republican Party, Pat Robertson for Christians, etc... get my drift?

I just don't see the need, we're doing an awesome job now as things are, and we can continue this same way.

No, not an organization.

For city chapters look at the examples I gave. Self-organizing, etc.

For the conference, think DailyKos' annual meeting.

Bradley in DC
12-02-2007, 12:42 AM
Oh yeah certainly. If we succeed and really change things in like 20 years from now to ensure liberty and peace more than they have been ensured in the past then this will go down in history as the Ron Paul r[evol]ution without a doubt. He will be like our George Washington, with us being the soldiers following him to fight for liberty.

Exactly, now we're talking. Our own political Woodstock to define the movement!

So let's start voting: NH or Iowa for New Year's?

New year = new era!

justinc.1089
12-02-2007, 12:47 AM
Why one of those places?:confused:

To try to attract more attention for Paul?

Bradley in DC
12-02-2007, 12:58 AM
Why one of those places?:confused:

To try to attract more attention for Paul?

Open to any place, really. But given the nature of shared interests and the calendar... ;)

Kap
12-02-2007, 01:00 AM
I think this sounds like a great idea to get ourselves further organized! Can a moderator sticky this or create a new forum please.

Bradley in DC
12-02-2007, 01:13 AM
RPF conferences: smaller, quarterly regional and one larger annual. Modeled loosely on DailyKos annual, DefCon, and Freedom/FeeFest with policy conferences on public policy issues, media, networking, have aspiring politicians come to audition for support, RPR coverage, etc.

Of course I suspect there might be some after parties and social interactions as well. :-)

hard@work
12-02-2007, 01:14 AM

Regional imo.

constituent
12-02-2007, 06:24 AM
i love the idea. i'm a trained (and hobby) researcher and writer, do great with public speaking.

This is exactly what we need to be doing, down pat. I remember reading that flattering WaPo article about our movement where it was said that we (the movement) would be at the forefront of politics and culture for the next twenty years to come.

Dailykos, nothing on us. I think the quarterly regional, and annual meetings are an excellent idea as well. Every year, outside of Cuero they have a three day music/camping festival called "party in the pasture" in the month of may (normally), perhaps if nothing else we could shoot for that?

Since texas is right in the big fat middle.

Bradley in DC
12-02-2007, 09:39 AM
Excellent, Constituent, thanks. Now we're talking. Let's start a convention and have some fun!

We can give the media an opportunity to cover a REAL movement during a slow news time. There are lots of possibilities. I have great faith in the energy, creativity and abilities of our friends here.

Our web traffic, postings and membership surpass any similar group. It's time for us to announce ourselves (flashbacks of high school debutante dating days...).

Cowlesy
12-02-2007, 09:47 AM
I think it's a great idea!

It'd be nice to have a regional event where we could discuss projects to further the overall cause , as well as meet and support those who want to aim for elected political positions. I think this could be helpful as it always appears that candidates we would support lack robust political organizations, and an organization like this could provide support to help improve these folks' odds.

Additionally, if these were fun and friendly conferences, we could market them to help expand our own base of people and re/introduce them to the old school Republican/Freedom message.

Bruehound
12-02-2007, 10:04 AM
Wouldn't the New Hamphrie Liberty Forum be a good place to meet each other and get this ramped up?

It is January 3-6. Info here: http://freestateproject.org/libertyforum

Bradley in DC
12-02-2007, 10:44 AM
Wouldn't the New Hamphrie Liberty Forum be a good place to meet each other and get this ramped up?

It is January 3-6. Info here: http://freestateproject.org/libertyforum

Tying in informally with another event makes sense (as FreedomFest does with the Vegas Money Show). They have theirs immediately afterwards at the same place.

torchbearer
12-02-2007, 11:24 AM
bump

cujothekitten
12-02-2007, 04:14 PM
I was hoping someone would want to do something like this. Count me in for sure.

Jaykzo
12-02-2007, 04:24 PM
I'd be able to take part in a regional conference. I've been hired as an emcee before, I have a lot of experience speaking in public for only being 21. So I'd be more than willing to help out in any way, from actually speaking to just greeting people at the door.

Fyretrohl
12-02-2007, 04:25 PM
I would say we need to do something like this, even after the campaign. Remember that one of the complaints about the Perotites and they're expectations of us is...We will disappear after this. Also, that we don't organize at the local and regional/state level. So, how about we take on that challenge. Not necessarily a 'new' party. Instead, a faction within the RP and we start pushing our own candidates. Start getting Ron Paul Republicans in office at all levels. Even if RP loses. ESPECIALLY if RP loses.

Bradley in DC
12-02-2007, 05:23 PM
I would say we need to do something like this, even after the campaign. Remember that one of the complaints about the Perotites and they're expectations of us is...We will disappear after this. Also, that we don't organize at the local and regional/state level. So, how about we take on that challenge. Not necessarily a 'new' party. Instead, a faction within the RP and we start pushing our own candidates. Start getting Ron Paul Republicans in office at all levels. Even if RP loses. ESPECIALLY if RP loses.

Exactly the direction I'd like this effort to move! Who's with us? Who will pick up the gauntlet here?

me3
12-02-2007, 05:31 PM
I think it would be interesting to have an old right version of MoveOn.

Have the ability to challenge politicians who do not act in the best interests of the people, and to conduct substantial advertising campaigns for education and awareness.

MsDoodahs
12-02-2007, 05:51 PM
I have travel limitations, but some sort of regional meeting that doesn't require long distance? That, yeah, I could and would do.

Hey, by the way....

Please take note if you are in or near Houston:

There will be another Houston Mises Circle in January, see this link for details:

http://mises.org/events/101

Hope to see you there!

:)