PDA

View Full Version : Guatemalan president: Central America needs at least $2 billion from US

Origanalist
07-26-2014, 10:26 AM
Guatemalan president: Central America needs at least $2 billion ‘to attack the root of the problem’

The president of Guatemala believes the United States should provide at least $2 billion in aid to Central American countries in order "to attack the root of the problem" causing recent waves of illegal immigration.

During an interview with The Washington Post Thursday -- his only sitdown with an American newspaper during the trip -- Guatemalan President Otto Perez Molina acknowledged that it will be up to President Obama and Congress to determine how the U.S. should respond to the influx of Central American migrants.

But "If they want to attack the root of the problem, I think that they need to think about making investments in countries like Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras," he said. "The United States is spending about $20 billion on border security and other border crossings where they process children and where they treat them and all those other processes. We say that with just 10 percent of that money that you’re investing on the U.S. border, it could be spent at minimum in the three countries and I’m confident that it would be much more profitable than investing it on border security or border control with Mexico."

continued...http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2014/07/25/guatemalan-president-central-america-needs-at-least-2-billion-to-attack-the-root-of-the-problem/

alucard13mm
07-26-2014, 02:57 PM
I hate this shit. Once you give money to a country to solve an issue, there is no incentive for the country to solve it. Once they solve it they cant ask for more and the gravy train stops.

jkob
07-26-2014, 05:24 PM
Kind of misleading headline, he's basically saying if we spent 10% of what we spent on border security with Mexico on investments in Central America that we'd get more return for our money which is probably true. Building "the fence" isn't going to solve illegal immigration.

Origanalist
07-26-2014, 05:58 PM
Kind of misleading headline, he's basically saying if we spent 10% of what we spent on border security with Mexico on investments in Central America that we'd get more return for our money which is probably true. Building "the fence" isn't going to solve illegal immigration.

I don't think that our corrupt politicians giving money to their corrupt politicians is going to help anyone but corrupt politicians.

The headlines often have to be shortened because of the size limit.

NorfolkPCSolutions
07-26-2014, 07:19 PM
International politics, or intergovernmental extortion?

We're facing a flood the lowest, neediest, most helpless, and most violent of another nation's citizens into our own. Guatemala then has the balls to ask for money? Any but the current administration would be sending troops - and rightly so. Not since 1812 has the United States been invaded like this.

osan
07-26-2014, 07:22 PM
I completely agree that we should give Guatemala $2B in aid.

One smart bomb at a time.

Guatemalan president: Central America needs at least $2 billion ‘to attack the root of the problem’

The president of Guatemala believes the United States should provide at least $2 billion in aid to Central American countries in order "to attack the root of the problem" causing recent waves of illegal immigration.

During an interview with The Washington Post Thursday -- his only sitdown with an American newspaper during the trip -- Guatemalan President Otto Perez Molina acknowledged that it will be up to President Obama and Congress to determine how the U.S. should respond to the influx of Central American migrants.

But "If they want to attack the root of the problem, I think that they need to think about making investments in countries like Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras," he said. "The United States is spending about $20 billion on border security and other border crossings where they process children and where they treat them and all those other processes. We say that with just 10 percent of that money that you’re investing on the U.S. border, it could be spent at minimum in the three countries and I’m confident that it would be much more profitable than investing it on border security or border control with Mexico."

continued...http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2014/07/25/guatemalan-president-central-america-needs-at-least-2-billion-to-attack-the-root-of-the-problem/

qh4dotcom
07-26-2014, 09:29 PM
International politics, or intergovernmental extortion?

We're facing a flood the lowest, neediest, most helpless, and most violent of another nation's citizens into our own. Guatemala then has the balls to ask for money? Any but the current administration would be sending troops - and rightly so. Not since 1812 has the United States been invaded like this.

Don't blame the Guatemalan president....he had the right ideas and is asking this money because he did not get his way...he wanted to end the war on drugs

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/25/guatemala-drug-legalization_n_1914042.html

AuH20
07-26-2014, 09:37 PM
How can we guarantee that he and his cronies won't launder the aid? Oh yeah. We can't. :(

qh4dotcom
07-26-2014, 09:43 PM
How can we guarantee that he and his cronies won't launder the aid? Oh yeah. We can't. :(

There would have been no need to ask for the aid had he gotten his way....he wanted to end the war on drugs.

osan
07-27-2014, 06:05 AM
There would have been no need to ask for the aid had he gotten his way....he wanted to end the war on drugs.

Uh huh... do you really believe that? Really? Are you by any chance in the market for a very pretty bridge at a very low price, or do you have a particularly specific reason to believe that the president of Guatemala is a boy scout? That is a serious question. I know nothing about the man but, given the grossly dominant trend of that region's history, there is small reason to assume he is anything better than another low-rent crook. Please illuminate, if you are so inclined.

JK/SEA
07-27-2014, 07:58 AM
moneybomb?

qh4dotcom
07-27-2014, 08:04 AM
Uh huh... do you really believe that? Really? Are you by any chance in the market for a very pretty bridge at a very low price, or do you have a particularly specific reason to believe that the president of Guatemala is a boy scout? That is a serious question. I know nothing about the man but, given the grossly dominant trend of that region's history, there is small reason to assume he is anything better than another low-rent crook. Please illuminate, if you are so inclined.

The Guatemalan president is correct about asking for money for Central America....although it doesn't have to be him who gets it.

You break it, you fix it.

Actually not you.........By "you", I mean the electorate who votes in corrupt politicians. I assume RPF members are smarter than that.

The US is responsible for the big mess in Central America due to their stupid drug war and policy of overthrowing democratically elected Central American leaders.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/18/refugee-crisis-border_n_5596125.html

So the most fair solution to the big mess is this....every idiot who voted for Obama, Bush, etc needs to write a check and send it to Central America....doesn't have to be a Central American govt....can be anyone in Central America who has been affected by their screw ups at the ballot box....or a charity in the US that assists people in Central America, etc.

Idiot voters don't want to accept responsibility for their screwups? Ok, enjoy the illegals coming in....I'll continue laughing every time I hear them crying about it.

JK/SEA
07-27-2014, 08:11 AM
You break it, you fix it

Actually not you.........By "you", I mean the electorate who votes in corrupt politicians.

The US is responsible for the big mess in Central America due to their stupid drug war and policy of overthrowing democratically elected leaders.

So the most fair solution to the big mess is this....every idiot who voted for Obama, Bush, etc needs to write a check and send it to Central America....doesn't have to be a Central American govt....can be anyone in Central America who has been affected by their screw ups at the ballot box....or a charity.

NO CHECKS ACCEPTED.

Gold Bars ONLY.

Victor Grey
07-27-2014, 08:29 AM
Nah, I think we should just let the immigrants send the money back themselves, and after that watch and see those countries miracle themselves into better places.
That's what a lot of them do after all, right? Send part of the money back to their families?

So like, there's no difference then.

I mean, that's the current situation entirely.

I'm glad the new incoming money is transforming these nations.

Therefore I believe the correct response should be to tell him, no thanks on the sending you free money idea as there's already more funds going into your country, but good job thinking up solutions. We expect to see at least some reflection to the amazing change you promise and envision from that fresh influx of dollars coming in.

qh4dotcom
07-27-2014, 08:48 AM
Nah, I think we should just let the immigrants send the money back themselves, and after that watch and see those countries miracle themselves into better places.
That's what a lot of them do after all, right? Send part of the money back to their families?

So like, there's no difference then.

I mean, that's the current situation entirely.

I'm glad the new incoming money is transforming these nations.

Therefore I believe the correct response should be to tell him, no thanks on the sending you free money idea as there's already more funds going into your country, but good job thinking up solutions. We expect to see at least some reflection to the amazing change you promise and envision from that fresh influx of dollars coming in.

President is correct in asking for money....see post #12.

Victor Grey
07-28-2014, 10:51 AM
President is correct in asking for money....see post #12.

I'll see your guilt trip and raise you an I don't care no free money for you.

dannno
07-28-2014, 11:06 AM
I completely agree that we should give Guatemala $2B in aid.

One smart bomb at a time.

http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/not%20sure%20if%20serious/grand/87582072.gif

Keith and stuff
07-28-2014, 11:19 AM
If those countries and the US would end prohibition then 10,000s of people could have jobs growing and processing medicine in Central America. The additionally money into the Central American economy will create 1,000s of additional jobs.

qh4dotcom
07-28-2014, 11:38 AM
If those countries and the US would end prohibition then 10,000s of people could have jobs growing and processing medicine in Central America. The additionally money into the Central American economy will create 1,000s of additional jobs.

Well, the Guatemalan president wanted to do that but he didn't get his way....guess who would have been pissed had the Guatemalan president been given a bill to sign into law legalizing drugs?

http://www.drugpolicy.org/news/2013/09/guatemalan-president-otto-p%C3%A9rez-molina-calls-global-drug-policy-reform-un-general-assem

President Ron Paul would not have had a problem with Guatemala legalizing drugs.

So the most fair solution to the big mess is this....every idiot who voted for Obama, Bush, Romney, McCain, etc. or any other drug warrior needs to man up and write a check and send it to Central America....doesn't have to be a Central American govt....can be anyone in Central America who has been affected by their screw ups at the ballot box....or a charity in the US that assists people in Central America, etc.

Idiot voters don't want to accept responsibility for their screwups? Ok, enjoy the illegals coming in....I'll continue laughing every time I hear them crying about it.