PDA

View Full Version : Observations during a RP Meetup

mesler
12-01-2007, 11:10 PM
Tonight a sister meetup had a float scheduled for a local Christmas parade. We had a small Ford ranger, decked out with garland, bows, and a big home-made Ron Paul sign mounted in the bed. We had official campaign sighs taped (yes, taped) on the sides, front, and back. There were about 8 of us, and all of us who were on foot had either a sign or an American flag.

Before the parade started, a guy in Army fatigues walks over to us, and told us that we had a really nice sign. So I asked "so, are you a supporter?", to which he kind of sheepishly nodded, kinda hinting that he'd rather keep that fact between us. I asked him if he had been keeping up with the fund-raising, I was going to tell him that we broke $10 million, and he gave me that look and a nod, basically, yeah I know all about that stuff. :) I shook his hand again, thanked him, and he went back to his vehicle. We did get his pic, but he made sure to tell us that he can't take a picture for us if it's going to be made public (it's against the rules for them to do that in uniform.)

We gave out quite a few slim jims, liberty cards, beads, and candy. :) Ran out of all of them, unfortunately, noone knew how many people to expect, there were a few thousand I would say.

Those people there, if they didn't before, they now know the name Ron Paul, and they know that he's running for President. And most importantly, they know that he has people in their home town who really like him.

Only a few negatives, the majority were positives, quite a few people knew who he was and would yell out his name in recognition and approval. Overall a great success.

1913_to_2008
12-01-2007, 11:17 PM
Awesome! We need more people doing stuff like this!

Arklatex
12-01-2007, 11:19 PM
:)

Keep up the good work patriot. Thanks for the story.

austin356
12-01-2007, 11:20 PM
Our last parade over in Tuscaloosa:

http://photos1.meetupstatic.com/photos/event/2/c/d/6/event_2351478.jpeg

torchbearer
12-01-2007, 11:24 PM
Tonight a sister meetup had a float scheduled for a local Christmas parade. We had a small Ford ranger, decked out with garland, bows, and a big home-made Ron Paul sign mounted in the bed. We had official campaign sighs taped (yes, taped) on the sides, front, and back. There were about 8 of us, and all of us who were on foot had either a sign or an American flag.

Before the parade started, a guy in Army fatigues walks over to us, and told us that we had a really nice sign. So I asked "so, are you a supporter?", to which he kind of sheepishly nodded, kinda hinting that he'd rather keep that fact between us. I asked him if he had been keeping up with the fund-raising, I was going to tell him that we broke $10 million, and he gave me that look and a nod, basically, yeah I know all about that stuff. :) I shook his hand again, thanked him, and he went back to his vehicle. We did get his pic, but he made sure to tell us that he can't take a picture for us if it's going to be made public (it's against the rules for them to do that in uniform.)

We gave out quite a few slim jims, liberty cards, beads, and candy. :) Ran out of all of them, unfortunately, noone knew how many people to expect, there were a few thousand I would say.

Those people there, if they didn't before, they now know the name Ron Paul, and they know that he's running for President. And most importantly, they know that he has people in their home town who really like him.

Only a few negatives, the majority were positives, quite a few people knew who he was and would yell out his name in recognition and approval. Overall a great success.

Is Louisiana Ready? Are you becoming a delegate?

mesler
12-01-2007, 11:29 PM
I plan on it, yes, I still need to do my form, but I'd say we're shaping up nicely.

torchbearer
12-01-2007, 11:30 PM
I plan on it, yes, I still need to do my form, but I'd say we're shaping up nicely.

What form?

mesler
12-01-2007, 11:34 PM
What form?

I believe there is an application form to fill out to become a delegate, and that I have not done just yet.

Stealth
12-01-2007, 11:48 PM
If I remember correctly, its against the UCMJ for someone within the military to promote or have any display of interest in a candidate while in uniform or while on duty. That's probably why he was acting sheepishly.

Mental Dribble
12-02-2007, 12:04 AM
Thats correct Stealth. Can't support anyone while in uniform.

billjarrett
12-02-2007, 12:07 AM
If I remember correctly, its against the UCMJ for someone within the military to promote or have any display of interest in a candidate while in uniform or while on duty. That's probably why he was acting sheepishly.

http://www.mccoy.army.mil/vtriad_online/03102000/military%20political%20activities.htm

torchbearer
12-02-2007, 12:10 AM
I believe there is an application form to fill out to become a delegate, and that I have not done just yet.

I hope my meet-up organizer has this info.

terryhamel
12-02-2007, 07:31 PM
We did the same thing and had the same response when we canvassed for Ron Paul during the 2007 Veteran's Day parade. I made a documentary video of the event:

Ron Paul Revolution News - Veteran's Day in Albany, OR (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGxmvgQGyXk)

tommyzDad
01-19-2008, 07:34 AM
Great video, Terry. So Albany is "ours?" ;)