PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul introduces RESET Act to address drug sentencing disparities

jct74
07-25-2014, 12:32 PM
this addresses not only the sentencing disparities for crack cocaine but also for other cases such as with marijuana brownies.

Rand Paul Rolls Out Crack Cocaine Disparity Bill In Pitch To Black Voters

COLIN CAMPBELL
JUL. 25, 2014, 9:25 AM

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Kentucky), a potential presidential candidate in 2016, made a criminal justice reform-focused pitch to African-American voters at the National Urban League on Friday.

"Three out of four people in prison right now for nonviolent crimes are black or brown. Our prisons are bursting with young men of color and our communities are full of broken families. Yet studies show that white kids use illegal drugs just as much," Paul said.

Drug reform advocates argue these white drug users are more likely to use powdered cocaine and therefore face less prison time compared to crack cocaine users when they are caught. In a somewhat unusual move for a a pol looking at running in a Republican presidential primary, Paul embraced this argument and announced new legislation to address the disparity.

"Frankly it's easier to arrest poor kids in urban environments," Paul said. "The disparity though in sentencing between powdered and crack cocaine is now less glaring than it used to be. But there's still a disparity. We should free those sentenced under the old guidelines. In addition I want to go one step farther. Today I am announcing legislation that will be introduced today that eliminates any disparity between crack and powdered cocaine."

read more:
http://www.businessinsider.com/rand-paul-rolls-out-crack-cocaine-disparity-bill-in-pitch-to-black-voters-2014-7

Here's Rand Paul's Plan To Reform Drug Laws

COLIN CAMPBELL
JUL. 25, 2014, 11:45 AM

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Kentucky), who's considering launching a presidential bid in 2016, spoke before the National Urban League on Friday and unveiled his proposal to reduce the disparity between crack cocaine and powdered cocaine sentencing.

But a copy of the bill, provided by Paul's office to Business Insider, shows the libertarian-leaning senator is proposing to tackle several other drug-related criminal justice issues as well.

The "Reclassification to Ensure Smarter and Equal Treatment Act" — or RESET Act — would also reclassify certain low-level drug possession felonies as misdemeanors and ensure food products containing drugs are "weighed fairly," according to a Paul spokesman.

The food weight issue is significant for individuals arrested while in possession of edible forms of drugs: for example, marijuana brownies that contain other ingredients in addition to the drug. Paul wants to bar the feds from including the weight of the brownie when determining the amount possessed — potentially resulting in lesser charges.

read more:
http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-rand-pauls-plan-to-reform-drug-laws-2014-7

jct74
07-25-2014, 01:04 PM
related:

Texas teen could get life in prison for allegedly making batch of pot brownies
Jacob Lavoro, 19, laced his baked goods with hash oil along with marijuana, police said, leading to the more serious charges. The teen's father, and attorney, say the potential penalty does not fit the alleged crime.

BY SASHA GOLDSTEIN
Tuesday, May 20, 2014, 9:48 PM

A Texas teen faces life in prison after he allegedly mixed in some hash oil along with marijuana in a batch of pot brownies.

Jacob Lavoro, 19, faces a felony charge and five year to life in prison as punishment after cops in Round Rock busted him last month with a pound of weed, 1.5 pounds of the laced baked goods, digital scales, some $1,675 in cash and baggies of marijuana and 145 grams of hash oil.

Because he used hash oil in the brownies, prosecutors can aggregate the total weight of the treats in the charge. And hash oil is prosecuted more harshly because it has a higher THC content the normal, leafy pot.

"It's outrageous, it's crazy! I don't understand it,” the teen’s father, Joe Lavoro, told KEYE-TV after a recent court appearance. "Five years to life? I'm sorry, I'm a law abiding citizen. I'm a conservative. I love my country. I'm a Vietnam veteran, but I'll be damned ... this is wrong, this is damn wrong!"

read more:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/texas-teen-life-prison-allegedly-making-batch-pot-brownies-article-1.1799914

Okaloosa
07-25-2014, 01:11 PM
Good on Rand but I could see that headline pertaining to crack and black voters being used against Rand as if he is saying the use it. I could see partisan left wing hacks doubling down on Rand and black voters seeing through it and at least appreciative of his outreach even if they do not support Rand.

Vanguard101
07-25-2014, 04:36 PM
Great move