PDA

View Full Version : Review of D'Souza's America: Rose-colored glasses are not what is needed right now.

Tod
07-21-2014, 07:13 PM
July 21, 2014
by Tod

Overall, the movie "America: Imagine the World Without Her" by Dinesh D'Souza was pretty disappointing. For one thing, the topic is way too involved for a two hour movie, and the topics of discussion, such as the Civil War, were heavily mischaracterized. Objectionable episodes in history, such as the "Trail of Tears" (Cherokee Indians) were downplayed and made to appear as little glitches in perfection. The line of thinking seems to be “after all, look at how good the Native Americans and African-Americans now have it, living in the land of opportunity" and "a few years of forced reservation life and the destruction of their culture or a few years of slavery are more than offset by having the good life today!”

The film lists a number of issues in the history of the country, starting with the takeover of the land from the Native Americans. The issues are minimized with the help of straw man arguments and the benefits of being part of the nation today are touted as offsetting any wrongs.

The Civil War – the War of Northern Aggression – was discussed as though the whole point of the war was to end slavery, which is of course way off base. No mention was made of the tariffs that had unfairly penalized the southern states for years, motivating them to secede from the Union, and there was no discussion of the rights of states to secede; that freedom of association was forbidden by Lincoln. Paraphrasing the song: “Welcome to the United States; your state can check in to the Union any time it likes, but it can never leave.”

The Declaration of Independence says, in part, “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government”. Disallowing secession is a violation of the basic premise of government described in the Declaration, that of governance with the consent of the governed.

“We can't break up the Union” is not an acceptable line of reasoning. All the same, the people in the Federal Government, backed up by large numbers of people in states that benefited from the unfair tariff structure, believed that the deaths of about three quarters of a million people was acceptable in order just to keep people from separating themselves from Washington, D.C. after they felt that the government was no longer fairly representing them.

The very fact that a war was fought which resulted in the freeing of the slaves was talked about in the movie as though that were a good thing, that it represented some kind of moral superiority, when in fact it represents a colossal failure – virtually every other country in the world freed their slaves without having to fight a war. The British managed to do it peacefully, and they did it way before the US, in 1833. Brazil was the last country in the west to outlaw it – again, peacefully – in 1888.

The movie completely failed to discuss the modern version of slavery, taxation, and how abolishing the original form of slavery, which lead to considerable productivity gains with mechanization, and then instituting the income tax allowed the federal government to grow and oppress Americans today to the extent that now a large percentage of the labor of Americans is taken to support the non-productive sector. Tax Freedom Day is not until the latter half of April. A hundred years ago it was in January. It is no wonder taxes are withheld from pay; if they didn’t, a whole lot more people would be up in arms about the amount of taxes they are being forced to pay.

In discussing the theft of resources from other countries, D’Souza points to Iraq, saying that the US could have taken their oil but didn’t. He fails to discuss the long history of exploitation of foreign resources by American and multinational corporations, often with the aid of the U.S. government which frequently sought to install a local government that was friendly to the exploitation. No mention of the Banana Wars, Anaconda Copper, the relationship between the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company, the CIA, and the overthrow of democratically elected Iranian Prime Minister Mohammad Mosaddegh, or countless other cases of intrigue that put the U.S. in a position of control… at least temporarily, and caused the most highly decorated Marine of all time, Major General Smedley Butler, to proclaim that “War is a Racket.” Such stories are completely at odds with Jefferson’s vision of “peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations” and they represent a failure, caused by the collusion of big corporations and big government – fascism. Instead, overseas involvements such as the Viet Nam War are celebrated by D’Souza as noble attempts to save the South Vietnamese from the dastardly commies; founder’s advice to avoid entangling alliances be damned.

Capitalism and the free market are properly shown, but without any examples of how they have been perverted, of how there is no free market or true capitalism, thanks to corrupt politicians with too much power to dole out benefits and special favors to corporations in exchange for support and money. No discussion of “too big to fail” bailouts, the socialization of losses and the privatization of profits. No discussion of how the Federal Reserve has been fleecing us, no discussion of the massive debt being accumulated in our name.

Instead of acknowledging the error of our ways, pointing out the current problems, and showing the path we should be taking if our country is to begin to live up to the folklore, the myth, D’Souza ignores the problems and, instead tries to make the viewer feel good; that all is wonderful, that America has the moral high ground. That doesn’t help matters at all. Pretending one does not have cancer does not improve the situation.

The movie is not much more than a warm and fuzzy feel-good pat on the back for superficial flag-wavers, and to remove any doubt in the minds of borderline Neoconservatives who might be questioning the correctness of foreign entanglements after decades of near non-stop war. What the American public needs is most certainly NOT a warm and fuzzy movie. What the American public needs is a movie that will light a fire under them and get them to think about how best to face the considerable challenges ahead if we don’t avoid this rapid descent into totalitarianism at the hands of BOTH political parties.

donnay
07-21-2014, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the review. I am so sick of people just glazing over history and putting a spin on the parts that their party was involved in. The phony left/right paradigm is what is dividing the people of this country. Both sides are equally bad and are equally tyrannical. They try so hard to ignore the founding documents so people won't realize that the power resides within each and every one of us. *SIGH*

JK/SEA
07-22-2014, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the review. I am so sick of people just glazing over history and putting a spin on the parts that their party was involved in. The phony left/right paradigm is what is dividing the people of this country. Both sides are equally bad and are equally tyrannical. They try so hard to ignore the founding documents so people won't realize that the power resides within each and every one of us. *SIGH*

yep...its such a tragedy too.

2 good eyes, and they still can't see....double sigh....

doremedia
07-22-2014, 06:54 PM
I agree that some of the stuff about the War of Southern Independence was not exact, but it is a start. You can't give people too much at one time or they would lose their minds. They have been taught to believe certain untruths for many years. He was exactly right about the Indians...the land was paid for. Andrew Jackson did what needed to be done after he went south and found that women and babies from settlers and friendly tribes were impaled to walls by aggressive tribe arrows and spears. He was great at introducing truth about the Irish slaves being here first and more in number, he was right and good about William Ellison, and there were actually MORE than 3000 black slave owners...that was just in Louisiana. He was right about so many things...but just touched on the things that have been revised. I enjoyed the movie thoroughly and I consider it should be shown to all school children.

Oh it was very good on the issue with mexico. excellent.

ebod
07-22-2014, 08:30 PM
"Oh it was very good on the issue with mexico. excellent."

How did he handle the issue?

Tod
07-22-2014, 08:53 PM
"Oh it was very good on the issue with mexico. excellent."

How did he handle the issue?

He justified the Mexican-American war by saying that we didn't take the land from the Mexicans; we just changed their nationality for the better (everyone should be so lucky) and they liked it because they didn't sell their land and move inside the new Mexican boundaries.

When we do imperialism, we do it right, because we are that good.

Matt Collins
07-22-2014, 09:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98DfrVjxCQg

THX 1138
07-23-2014, 07:12 AM
We can always trust Hollywood to give us an accurate view of the world.

Brian4Liberty
07-23-2014, 08:55 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/content.php?5182-Review-of-D-Souza-s-America-Rose-colored-glasses-are-not-what-is-needed-right-now

Lois
07-23-2014, 12:45 PM
I agree that some of the stuff about the War of Southern Independence was not exact, but it is a start. You can't give people too much at one time or they would lose their minds. They have been taught to believe certain untruths for many years. He was exactly right about the Indians...the land was paid for. Andrew Jackson did what needed to be done after he went south and found that women and babies from settlers and friendly tribes were impaled to walls by aggressive tribe arrows and spears. He was great at introducing truth about the Irish slaves being here first and more in number, he was right and good about William Ellison, and there were actually MORE than 3000 black slave owners...that was just in Louisiana. He was right about so many things...but just touched on the things that have been revised. I enjoyed the movie thoroughly and I consider it should be shown to all school children.

Thanks, doremedia.

Although I also think the Civil War should not have been fought and it wasn't about 'freeing the slaves', I also enjoyed the movie and thought D'Souza did a good job of busting some of the myths the Liberals are feeding our kids in government schools.

I found the Mexico, capitalism and slavery parts to be informative and especially liked the history lesson about the first female self-made millionaire in America - that you never hear about in the history books, because she was black.

"For instance, did you know the first female self-made millionaire in America was a freed slave? Her name was Madam C. J. Walker “I am a woman who came from the cotton fields of the South. From there I was promoted to the washtub. From there I was promoted to the cook kitchen. And from there I promoted myself into the business of manufacturing hair goods and preparations….I have built my own factory on my own ground.” Madam Walker July 1912 From her website, Madam C. J. Walker"

D’Souza’s America http://www.nationalreview.com/article/381509/dsouzas-america-john-fund

Dinesh D’Souza Tells the True Story of America http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/64628

osan
07-24-2014, 08:24 AM
While you make good points, the subtext here seems to be that the nation is all negative, and that is equally false. The film made several serious errors, but it also pointed out some essential truths. You appear to have committed some of the same sins in your simplistic assertions to which those very assertions complain in the film.

This nation represents an ideal. It does so with great imperfection, but it should be understood that it did so in the context of a world raging toward the madness of universal empire. There may have been a time when men lived freely across the face of this world, but that era is long gone as empire has grown like a cancer in perpetual advance. By the time the Declaration was written, significant human populations were well on the way to technological revolution, which was to be realized but a few short decades later. During this time, empire was growing wildly out of control in its spread to the last remaining anarchic places on the planet.

But perhaps far more significantly, the fundamental landscapes of thought were d/evolving with great rapidity and in radical fashion. Well before that rotter Karl Marx penned his ludicrous idiocies, Das Kapital and the Communist Manifesto, the frog eaters were busily making commie-speak as they merrily lopped the heads off most of their aristocratic betters. Marx was a cheap plagiarist of the buffoons lead by that blood-thirsty maniac, Robespierre. He and his mob of murdering lunatics shouted "Liberty, Equality, Fraternity" whilst walking not a single step of it, summarily sentencing innocent men, women, and children to death en masse at the guillotine, the invention and employment of which was an early example of quasi-mechanized murder, exposing in clear language the writing on the wall of what was yet to come.

And so it has been ever since. Technology has marched onward, ever enabling the spread of empire and the tightening of the tyrant's grip around the throats of virtually every soul walking the planet in ways few could have barely imagined even a mere 100 years ago. But even in 1776 those with open eyes saw what had been, what remained, and what might yet come. A few of those good men wanted something better than to be just another raft of colonists under the thumb of an arbitrary archon whose whim and caprice stood as constant threats to the kinds of lives for which they yearned. Some asked themselves a question few in the history of empire had dared: why should this be the order of things?

Forget for the moment all the speculations of illuminist conspiracies - elements of which no doubt are historical fact, if somewhat clouded. Consider the fact that the notions of liberty needed not be set forth in the manner in which they were constructed. Had there been a replete conspiracy to set the nation up as the private affair of that cadre of apparent trouble makers as the new kings of America, they could have and SHOULD have modeled it very differently. Most of the colonists would never have known the difference and would likely have manifested the same level of interest and involvement as they did under the light of the new paradigm that was to become America. So why light that fire under the common and vulgar man with speak of equality in the eyes of God, under the law, and most of all of the inherent rights of man and of his natural state of innate freedom to which no man holds title to thwart? Why give such ideas to them if the intention is to become the new tyrant? This is one reason I do not buy some of the grander conspiracy speculations; they make no good strategic sense, and that coming from men as well read and understanding of politics as Jefferson and Madison? No way. No doubt there were malefactors at work in even those lofty ranks whose purpose was to get hooks into the innermost workings of this new proposal, but that is significantly different from believing everyone from Jefferson on down were illuminist agents fast at work with skullduggery on the menu.

Regardless of what may have existed prior, there were at least 8,000 years of progressively increasing empire to serve as the context in which the architecture of fundamental principles which underpinned America's Constitutional structure were based. These men dared ask the one question that could see their heads roll: who says the king or emperor or burgermeister or whoever stands above us in claims to life? That was the kind of thinking that took the color from the faces of kings and had to be put rapidly to unequivocal rest. But they asked and they endeavored to answer, the vast stretches of the Atlantic providing the buffer from more immediate reprisals by the king.

Imperfectly as it may have found its manifestation on paper and in practice, America was for all intents and purposes something that had never before been seen by any denizen of empire: a nation with no monarch and in which all men were regarded as equals before law and whose rights were absolutely equal amongst the entirety of all mankind, thereby rendering them absolute within the limits drawn about them by the equal rights of each man's fellows (Thanks Thomas J).

Eight thousands of years of empire laid the anarchies of the ancient world effectively as never having happened. The ideas that gird the structure of America were effectively brand and boldly new. Those ideas are worthy of the greatest credit and should not be disparaged just because imperfect people pooched the deal immensely in all the ways you note in your review. Credit where due in all cases, even for men like Hitler and Stalin. We either hold truth up as sacred and acknowledge it even when it smarts as the devil to do so, or we are no better than all the tyrants and other criminals of the world, past and present and have no right to open our hypocritical, dishonest, and cowardly mouths.

America is a grandly loused up place - this cannot be credibly denied. But it still retains the core that holds the only remaining promise for humanity's future as anything even marginally better than a race of slaves in the ongoing progression of the tyranny of empire, as it gallops into a future of perfectly black opacity. So while I agree with your practice of pointing out the faults, I equally expect the virtues to be given the spotlight, lest you lose credibility as a whiner or the seller of a bill of goods. If America has no virtue, I see no reason for anyone to go on for even one more day. Better they shoot the life from their bodies and those of their stricken children than to allow it to devolve into mere and unworthy existence.

Please try to maintain a balance in perspective. The film "America" falls down in many ways, but it also shines in a few and it is precisely that minority proportion to which the good man should cleave, leaving the rest behind as he moves forward in the effort to perfect his knowledge and understanding of what is right and proper in human relations. I write this as a man who fails at this regularly as you all witness on the days when I find my optimism and hope flagging. Don't give up hope, and for goodness' sake do not give in to perpetual pessimism, for to do so is to hand victory to Themme on a golden serving plate. If we are going to be reduced, at least make the process of reduction as agonizingly costly for Themme as possible.

Tod
08-06-2014, 01:54 PM
Greg Hunter interviews Dinesh D'souza. Read the comments below the video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmRLlTXsgzs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmRLlTXsgzs