PDA

View Full Version : serious blimp questions that need answers

eric_cartman
12-01-2007, 09:48 PM
serious blimp questions that need answers:

1) What is the total cost required to have this blimp flying around for 1 month? Explain the cost breakdown: Cost paid to blimp company, salaries of blimp team, extra stuff, etc. We need a total cost breakdown.

2) When does this amount have to be collected and paid for by in order to have the blimp in Boston by Dec. 15th?

3) In the event that the full amount is not collected by this final date... what happens? do people get their money back?

4) There's been $16,000 collected so far... is it realistic to think that anything close to 350K can be reached within the next few days if we continue down this current path?

THE ONLY SOLUTION: Turn this project over to the official Ron Paul campaign.

All it would take, is for Ron Paul to put a ticker on the front page, so that when you visit ronpaul2008.com, you can click to donate specifically to the fund the blimp project. He'd raise the 350K in a few days, and could have the blimp in boston in time for the tea party. They have the legal team and paid people already in place to make everything happen.

Now i know that the people on the blimp project are doing their best. I don't think it's a scam. But I am certainly not comfortable with what is being done. Apparently Elijah quit his job, and is now paying himself from the donations in the same amount he would have made at his job.... and we don't even know how much he makes! I thought the blimp was a great idea... but this is whole thing is now very seriously messed up. I don't feel as if the blimp project people are being very open with what is going on, and i have a feeling that a lot of good, honest ron paul supporters are going to lose whatever money is donated for one reason or another.

slantedview
12-01-2007, 09:52 PM
most of this info can be found elsewhere.

1) 350k'ish.
2) big chunk needed within a few days.
3) i am not sure, but we expect to meet any goals.
4) yes, the e-mail to pledgers hasn't even been sent yet and (this is the 50th time i've said this today), the e-mail is still forthcoming being that there are very complex legal issues that need to be sorted out first.

trevor and elijah are working like dogs to get this stuff finalized. patience is the word.

also, the project CAN NOT be run by the campaign. there are restrictions/legalities preventing that, mostly having to do with donation/funding limits.

Indy Vidual
12-01-2007, 09:52 PM
They will be giving more details soon.

``````

'Support' the positive threads :)
Please, Allow Me A Moment To Request We Unite In Support Of The Ron Paul Blimp (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=45546)

eric_cartman
12-01-2007, 10:20 PM
most of this info can be found elsewhere.

1) 350k'ish.
2) big chunk needed within a few days.
3) i am not sure, but we expect to meet any goals.
4) yes, the e-mail to pledgers hasn't even been sent yet and (this is the 50th time i've said this today), the e-mail is still forthcoming being that there are very complex legal issues that need to be sorted out first.

trevor and elijah are working like dogs to get this stuff finalized. patience is the word.

also, the project CAN NOT be run by the campaign. there are restrictions/legalities preventing that, mostly having to do with donation/funding limits.

1) "350k'ish" isn't really a total cost breakdown.
2) so how much has to be in by what date? and if we're under, what happens? will the blimp company take the risk that the total amount is unpaid for by the time it flies?
3) do we expect to meet the goals? what should have been done, i'm not sure if it has, but to individually contact each person who pledged to donate $5000 and phone them up, talk to them, see if they're for real... because it's those people who are really going to decide whether this thing works or not... and it doesn't look like we've had any $5000 contributions yet. i think you'd be crazy to donate any large amount of money with the way things are set up now, and that we're all being left in the dark, without answers to simple/basic questions such as the ones i posted here.
4) ok... i guess we'll see what happens... but i don't think people will donate unless some serious concerns are addressed.

and why can't the campaign run this? surely a campaign is free to advertise any way they want. the draw back is that we can have no big donations (like $5000 donations)... but the if the campaign ran this, they would raise tons of money, and could always make up the difference if we fell short.

Primbs
12-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Most people don't read their email until Monday at work. That is when most email traffic happens. Many Ron Paul supporters still do not know about the blimp.

rrroae
12-02-2007, 10:48 AM

I wish you would clarify that statement when you use it.

Per a previous thread, donation/funding limits only apply to those who have given the max $2300 to the campaign already.

Ethek
12-02-2007, 10:52 AM
I wish you would clarify that statement when you use it.

Per a previous thread, donation/funding limits only apply to those who have given the max $2300 to the campaign already.

I believe this effort was also intended as a way for people to contribute who are already max out.

leipo
12-02-2007, 11:14 AM
This question was raised by Elijah himself but, even though i asked, was never answered:

"Do you know how much it costs to retain one of the best election lawyers around (and a former FEC chairman)?"

Apparantly he knows.

alexpasch
12-02-2007, 11:16 AM
The Ron Paul campaign could pay Liberty Advertising and buy air time.

If I were Trevor, I'd try to get the Ron Paul campaign to give me the first 350k.

As I understand it, the campaign is free to choose their advertising medium, be it blimp, radio, or TV.

Also, foreigners should be able to buy airtime also, why is this not being promoted? There are a lot of well-off foreigners who'd love to screw with the neo-cons by giving to RP.

Wolfgang Bohringer
12-02-2007, 11:36 AM
If I were Trevor, I'd try to get the Ron Paul campaign to give me the first 350k.

Yes! The guy helped raise $4 million in one day for them. Why not finance his blimp for a fraction of that? No salaries, fly-by-night corporations, etc. necessary. The campaign should take over this project and others that grassroots people present but can't finance themselves with all of these election law obstacles.

rory096
12-02-2007, 11:44 AM
The Ron Paul campaign could pay Liberty Advertising and buy air time.

As I understand it, the campaign is free to choose their advertising medium, be it blimp, radio, or TV.

Also, foreigners should be able to buy airtime also, why is this not being promoted? There are a lot of well-off foreigners who'd love to screw with the neo-cons by giving to RP.
The campaign has better things to do, the whole point of the blimp is to have something for people who have donated the limit to contribute to. I think foreigners are not allowed to donate at all, actually.

alexpasch
12-02-2007, 11:46 AM
Foreignors are allowed...one of them already donated (mentioned it in one of these threads)

Tarzan
12-02-2007, 11:51 AM
Foreignors are allowed...one of them already donated (mentioned it in one of these threads)

Sorry... non-US citizens cannot make contributions as they would be paying for political advertising in the US. The blimp says "No limits for U.S. individuals"

Please check the blimp site for more informaton: RonPaulBlimp.com (http://www.ronpaulblimp.com/)

McDermit
12-02-2007, 11:52 AM
If HQ wanted to run a blimp, they would contact a blimp owner/company themselves and cut out the middle man.

Jagwarr
12-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Hitting the Campaign up for the $350K could still be done. There is no need for lawyers or Mr. Lyman or anyone else to fly around with the blimp. We should keep costs as low as possible. Go back to the raffle system and the original idea except have the campaign pick up the cost for ONE month.

Find the largest meet-up group and let them decide where the blimp will go and have the blimp company figure out where they can and cannot fly. I'd think they would know this kind of information already. No need for lawyers or a paid staff or Leather jackets and hotel rooms for anyone. Let's get back to the basics.

hillertexas
12-02-2007, 11:56 AM
Sorry... non-US citizens cannot make contributions as they would be paying for political advertising in the US. The blimp says "No limits for U.S. individuals"

Please check the blimp site for more informaton: RonPaulBlimp.com (http://www.ronpaulblimp.com/)

But I thought the whole point of making it a "business" was to avoid such limitations. Why couldn't foreigners buy privately owned advertising space???

hillertexas
12-02-2007, 12:09 PM
bump