PDA

View Full Version : VA - Cop shows up to deliver summons while nobody is home. Kills family dog.

Anti Federalist
07-17-2014, 12:34 AM
Farmville family stunned that officer fatally shot Golden Retriever

http://wtvr.com/2014/07/14/deputy-shoots-dog/

PRINCE EDWARD COUNTY, Va. — A Farmville family is searching for answers after a Prince Edward Deputy shot their eight-year-old Golden Retriever, named Party, ultimately killing him.

“The dog was at the same level of the officer when he fired,” said homeowner Stephen Carwile, and indicated that the deputy was standing at the bottom of the deck.

The incident happened June 27 while the family wasn’t home. A deputy was serving Carwile a civil warrant when he said he felt threatened by the dog.

“I come home to blood all over the place all over my porch,” said Carwile. He called the sheriff’s office after he couldn’t find Party, then saw his blood stained deck and the warrant.

“The lieutenant called me and stated that my dog had tried to attack the officer and the officer had shot my dog.”

The Prince Edward Sheriff’s office put out the following press release:

On June 27, 2014 a Prince Edward County Deputy was charged by a vicious dog at a residence while he was attempting civil paper service. The Deputy tried to get away from the dog but the animal lunged at him so he fired his weapon as required by training. Animal Control was notified seeking medical assistance for the dog, but the animal later died.

The sheriff’s department said the incident was investigated by the Virginia State Police, however a state police spokeswoman said that was not the case.

“The resident did speak with Sgt. King, who explained that the Virginia State Police cannot investigate an incident involving another law enforcement agency without that agency’s formal request, or the request of the Attorney General, commonwealth’s attorney, or grand jury,” said state police. “You will need to contact the sheriff’s office for details concerning the incident.”

Party’s owner, Carwile’s 14-year-old stepson Prescott Stewart, said that’s not the dog he knew, and he can’t imagine the dog lunging at anyone.

“It’s like a void that has been put inside of me I can’t describe it; he was just that kind of dog that if he could be human, he could be my brother — it’s just hard,” Stewart said.

A necropsy shows Party was shot twice, and died of blood loss.

necropsy

“Anything after the first shot the dog was disabled, the second shot he was just shooting to be cruel,” said Carwile.

The Carwiles said Party suffered on their deck for more than an hour before before he died in the care of the dog warden.

“I know he suffered, he was trying to get in the house,” he said. “He wanted one of us to open that door and let him him so he could be saved.”

“I still have bullet holes in my house, blood on my porch and bullet casings laying in my yard that I have to look at everyday and it just keeps going through my mind without anybody doing anything about this,” he added.

The Carwiles plan to file a civil suit. They want this case investigated and the deputy who killed their dog terminated.

“I want to see him loose (sic) his job and never tow (?) a firearm again,” said Carwile.

“I just hope he thinks about it and realizes he did wrong,” said Stewart.

mrsat_98
07-17-2014, 04:23 AM
First they came to feel our nuts if we wanted to fly and I decided I didn't have nuts enough to keep my mouth shut and it was just easier not to fly. Next I expect them to try to shoot my dog and I really don't want to get rid of my dog.

Spikender
07-17-2014, 06:19 AM
Yet another case of police abuse in my home state.

Gonna have to spread this one around just like the others.

I've already gained a reputation at my office as "The Guy Who Doesn't Like Law Enforcement".

Every time the police are in the news, my coworkers bring it to my attention because they know I have something to say about it.

I won't stop though. I'll pour these stories on them like hot liquid. I might just drive over to Prince Edward and see if I can't offer support in person or something. I just don't want to sit around and do nothing anymore.

Fuck the police.

JK/SEA
07-17-2014, 09:45 AM
i'm think i'm going to ask the nearest PETA dog shelter if they would consider a COPS ONLY DAY....free target practice...

ChristianAnarchist
07-17-2014, 09:49 AM
Poor cop! You have to feel sorry for them...

SeanTX
07-17-2014, 09:58 AM
i'm think i'm going to ask the nearest PETA dog shelter if they would consider a COPS ONLY DAY....free target practice...

Some CA police dept had the idea first -- they take dogs and other animals that are to be put down out to their range for target practice.

mrsat_98
07-17-2014, 04:17 PM
Poor cop! You have to feel sorry for them...

Must be horrible walking around with your knuckles dragging the ground.

Warrior_of_Freedom
07-17-2014, 04:38 PM
cops = terrorists

56ktarget
07-17-2014, 04:46 PM
I dont get why cops dont just tase the dogs? It might still be a lethal but at least theres a chance of the dog surviving.

SeanTX
07-17-2014, 08:04 PM
Here's a little bit of justice for a dog owner, about as close as anyone is likely ever to get anyway. Though it should be taken out of the shooter's pocket. Taxpayers will have to pick it up, as they should for allowing this sort of thing to go on.

Cops going after a murder suspect two doors down decided they just had to position themselves inside an innocent neighbor's backyard, were surprised by "Brad Pitt" , and just had to shoot it -- from the other side of the fence.

http://www.pe.com/articles/police-697664-wilson-dog.html

RIVERSIDE: City pays $30,000 to owners of dog shot by police

Police say pit bull surprised, cornered and attacked the officer; family says the officer killed their pet through a chain link gate

BY BRIAN ROKOS / STAFF WRITER
Published: July 17, 2014 Updated: 6:17 p.m.

How much is the life of a beloved pet worth? The city of Riverside and the owners of Brad Pitt the pit bull decided on $30,000.

Those were the terms of a settlement the two sides reached more than a year after a police officer shot the dog to death on Aug. 23, 2012, while preparing to serve an arrest warrant on a murder suspect at a nearby home. The dog’s owners had sought $350,000.

Police had staked out a home on North Orange Street, and Officer Ryan Wilson attempted to take up a spot in the Riveras’ backyard two doors down from the suspect's house.

Accounts of what happened next differ.

Police said Wilson entered the backyard, and he was surprised, cornered and attacked by the dog. That's when Wilson fired.

A lawsuit, filed by Los Angeles-based attorney Nick Pacheco, said that when Wilson approached the chain-link gate to enter the yard, the dog barked at Wilson from inside the yard. Wilson fired one shot through the gate and into the dog's head, the lawsuit said.

snip

On Wednesday in an interview in their home, the Riveras said they initially were not asking for money. They asked the Police Department to change its policy on using lethal force against animals to make it less likely that they would be killed; retrain officers in that use of force; and to make a public apology.

Luis Rivera said those terms were rejected.

“Then it became monetary,” he said, “which was pretty disgusting.”

Anti Federalist
07-17-2014, 08:18 PM
I dont get why cops dont just tase the dogs? It might still be a lethal but at least theres a chance of the dog surviving.

You must be new here...

presence
07-17-2014, 09:07 PM
They want [] the deputy who killed their dog terminated.

terminated sounds perfect

Anti Federalist
07-24-2014, 01:39 AM
Fuck off and move along.

State police won’t investigate fatal shooting of family pet

Posted 8:13 pm, July 21, 2014, by Alix Bryan and Chelsea Rarrick, Updated at 11:42pm, July 23,

http://wtvr.com/2014/07/21/prosecutor-requests-formal-investigation-over-family-pet/

PRINCE EDWARD COUNTY, Va. — Virginia State Police have chosen to decline a local prosecutor’s request for a formal investigation into the death of a Farmville family’s golden retriever.

“Everywhere you go to turn you get a dead end road,” said Stephen Carwile, whose stepson owned Party, “Everyone’s trying to put a stop to what is supposed to take place.”

Prince Edward County Commonwealth’s Attorney James Ennis said Monday that he asked the Virginia State Police to investigate the shooting of an eight-year-old golden retriever named “Party.”

On Tuesday State Police said they have decided not to investigate the death, according to Ennis, who said that all he could do was make the request.

CBS 6 asked A Virginia State Police Spokesperson why this decision was made.

“The incident was reviewed, consultation was done with the Commonwealth’s Attorney, and the decision was made to decline,” said spokesperson Corinne Geller.

When asked if she could elaborate on why, Geller said no.

The homeowner, Stephen Carwile has started a petition addressed to Mark Herring, the Commonwealth Attorney General, that asks Herring to have state police investigate.

“We, the people expect and deserve answers from our elected officials, reguarding reckless and unecessary killings, especially when our amendment rights (ie. fourth) are violated,” reads the petition. “Reckless shooting through homes and residential areas for inappropriate reasons, to wound a pet and leave him to die is unacceptable.”

The dog was shot on June 27 by a Prince Edward Deputy who was serving a civil warrant at the family’s home.

That deputy said he felt threatened by the animal.

“The dog was at the same level of the officer when he fired,” said homeowner Stephen Carwile, and indicated that the deputy was standing at the bottom of the deck.

“I come home to blood all over the place all over my porch,” said Carwile. He called the sheriff’s office after he couldn’t find Party, then saw his blood stained deck and the warrant.

jjdoyle
07-24-2014, 01:49 AM
I'm curious, has anybody seen the movie SHOOTER?
I only saw pieces of it, but one line stood out to me because of these threads on the forum. It had to do with his dog(s).

acptulsa
07-24-2014, 02:13 AM

This is going to be really, really hard for you to take. Brace yourself. I'm going to destroy your religion, but it's for your own good. Your religion, you see, is irrational, and it's doing you harm.

The government does not love you and does not want you to be fat and happy.

Sorry. But there it is. All the evidence bears the facts out.