PDA

View Full Version : Memphis Creates Task Force to Arrest, Fine Uber and Lyft Drivers

BarryDonegan
07-16-2014, 12:10 PM
http://benswann.com/memphis-creates-task-force-to-arrest-fine-uber-and-lyft-drivers/

Memphis city officials, responding to complaints by local taxi drivers, are focusing their energies on enforcing out-of-date livery regulations that were designed long before the innovative technology behind Uber and Lyft existed, rather than trimming regulations to fit with modern business models. The City of Memphis has issued a cease-and-desist order against the rideshare companies, which Uber and Lyft intend to defy. However, in order to add teeth to the city’s threats, a police task force has reportedly been created to fine and arrest the companies’ drivers.

Philhelm
07-16-2014, 12:19 PM
I've heard of Lyft, but what exactly is their issue with it (or rather, the supposedly legitimate issue)?

Carlybee
07-16-2014, 12:24 PM
The cab companies don't like them because they're losing fares to them so they are pulling strings. It's like the difference between paying $5 compared to $20 for a short ride.

Pericles
07-16-2014, 12:45 PM
I've heard of Lyft, but what exactly is their issue with it (or rather, the supposedly legitimate issue)?

Uber and probably Lyft - don't carry liability insurance (the drivers are subs), don't take cash for payments, don't drive to the "bad" parts of town, and other regulatory crap that taxi companies or drivers have to do in order to have a taxi permit.

Kords21
07-16-2014, 12:50 PM
There's a big crackdown here in San Antonio as well with uber and lyft. Maybe if taxi's were a little more fair, these services would never have been created. Alas, these people think the answer is less freedom and not more.

Carlybee
07-16-2014, 12:51 PM
Uber and probably Lyft - don't carry liability insurance (the drivers are subs), don't take cash for payments, don't drive to the "bad" parts of town, and other regulatory crap that taxi companies or drivers have to do in order to have a taxi permit.

Yep...and don't pay exorbitant fees for a taxi permit. My son uses Uber sometimes and it's all handled through an app.

Also Yellow Cab charges their drivers a fortune to own their own cab so they are concerned. Uber and left are people using their own cars with flat rate and no tipping required.

*Lyft. Can't edit with this stupid iPad

FindLiberty
07-16-2014, 12:52 PM
...more dystopia heaped on and presented for your consideration.

Maybe it will suddenly collapse in on its self, though that does not sound very pretty either.

dannno
07-16-2014, 01:16 PM
Ya the taxi drivers are complaining here too, they were protesting down at city hall a few months ago but it will go nowhere. My city tries to be really progressive and actually was excited to allow them to begin servicing the area.

Cabs are very expensive here and drunk driving has been down quite a bit since the services began and the cab companies don't have enough pull to get rid of them, so far it is successful.

***If anybody here wants to make extra money and drive with Uber (your own car, your own schedule/hours), I can help you get a significant bonus after your first 10 rides, PM me for details.

dannno
07-18-2014, 02:23 AM
“While we’re not aware of any actions taken by the city of Memphis, any attempt to restrict consumer choice and limit economic opportunity does nothing but hurt the thousands of residents and visitors who already rely on Uber for safe, affordable and reliable transportation,” said Uber spokesman Taylor Bennett. “We look forward to continuing to provide the people of Memphis with the Uber they know and love, as we continue to work with city officials to create a permanent home for ridesharing.”

Responses like that didn’t sit too well with Aubrey Howard, head of the city’s permits office.

“You know, I’ve never liked people who just thumb their nose at you,” Howard said.

Howard, Howard, Howard... Have I got some choice words for you :D

“For the public’s sake, we need to know who operates these vehicles,” Howard said. “They’re saying they do background checks and have insurance. We’re saying, ‘Show me.’”

Show me your papers?

http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news/2014/jul/17/uber-lyft-operating-despite-city-notices/

DamianTV
07-18-2014, 02:47 AM
Prohibition of Competition?

Mani
07-18-2014, 03:28 AM
I can see them having "STING" operations.

Undercover agents that setup an account, then get a ride and BUST the driver.

That's kind of what our gov't is best at, isn't it...Creating laws which give fines, and then having cops seeking law breakers and generating revenue.

Czolgosz
07-18-2014, 04:21 AM
Government enforced licensing via violence. Company now beholden to government.

Fuck your freedom and free market solutions.

Go write a stern letter.

Next.

WM_in_MO
07-18-2014, 05:50 AM
From the same state that uses no-refusal blood check points.

Tennessee: Fuck you citizen, you're stuck in here with us!

limequat
07-18-2014, 06:34 AM
I noticed that this thread is one of the many perfectly fine threads that are getting downvoted.
Normally threads get downvoted if they have false information or are divisive. Please take advantage of the thread rating tool "Rate this thread" in the upper right hand corner. I'm sure many are skipping over good threads because they only have 1 or 3 stars.

dannno
07-18-2014, 01:18 PM
I noticed that this thread is one of the many perfectly fine threads that are getting downvoted.
Normally threads get downvoted if they have false information or are divisive. Please take advantage of the thread rating tool "Rate this thread" in the upper right hand corner. I'm sure many are skipping over good threads because they only have 1 or 3 stars.

Well that's curious, the rating is back up now but can anybody who gave the thread a low rating care to explain?

Working Poor
07-18-2014, 01:28 PM
Uber and probably Lyft - don't carry liability insurance

I don't know about Lyft but, I know Uber does carry liability the driver also has to carry it on their own.

PaulConventionWV
07-18-2014, 08:49 PM
Howard, Howard, Howard... Have I got some choice words for you :D

Show me your papers?

http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news/2014/jul/17/uber-lyft-operating-despite-city-notices/

It's for the children, dontcha know?

Keith and stuff
07-18-2014, 10:11 PM
Uber and probably Lyft...don't drive to the "bad" parts of town...
Not true or they would be of little use in Memphis. I cannot think of a single good part of town other than the gated community called Southwind. Taxis don't drive to some of the bad parts of town so maybe these drivers have an expanded area to fill the market demand?

KCIndy
07-23-2014, 01:04 AM

Who the hell is downvoting this? :(

I just gave it five stars.

It is an excellent thread, illustrative of how most people aren't above using the government as a club to bash any and all competition. This sort of thing is exactly why I snort in utter derision at those who try to argue we have a "free market" in this country.

Keith and stuff
07-23-2014, 08:28 AM

The only reasons I can think of is because the poster wrote the article, quoted just 1 paragraph and didn't offer any commentary or maybe a taxi driver is on this forum and outside by the article?

acptulsa
07-23-2014, 11:39 AM
Police spend $30,000 to net $10,000 in fines and protect a licensing regime that nets the city $8,000 per year. Lives saved: The roundest of round numbers, zero.

How do any Memphians manage to be stupid enough to think this makes sense?

helmuth_hubener
07-23-2014, 12:18 PM
How do any Memphians manage to be stupid enough to think this makes sense? Don't blame people for the actions of their monopoly state. That's a standard I know that I don't want to be held to!

dannno
07-23-2014, 12:18 PM
I'm surprised their aren't any Uber/Lyft drivers on this forum that have spoke up about their experiences (well, maybe Lyft, you have to wear a mustache on your car..) - but it's fairly lucrative if you have your own mid size+ sedan (2006+) and live in a city, you can do it as a part time gig on the weekends and make a lot of extra cash - you can set your own schedule, be your own boss and take advantage of a growing market niche that was previously over-regulated and provide customers with a superior low-cost alternative to what is currently out there.

Again, if you're interested in driving with Uber, I can help hook you up with a very significant bonus ($250 I think) if you complete enough (ten rides I think) with them, PM me for info.

Keith and stuff
07-23-2014, 12:27 PM
I'm surprised their aren't any Uber/Lyft drivers on this forum that have spoke up about their experiences (well, maybe Lyft, you have to wear a mustache on your car..) - but it's fairly lucrative if you have your own mid size+ sedan (2006+) and live in a city, you can do it as a part time gig on the weekends and make a lot of extra cash - you can set your own schedule, be your own boss and take advantage of a growing market niche that was previously over-regulated and provide customers with a superior low-cost alternative to what is currently out there.

Again, if you're interested in driving with Uber, I can help hook you up with a very significant bonus ($250 I think) if you complete enough (ten rides I think) with them, PM me for info.

What are the insurance requirements for taxi drivers for most insurance companies? Will it double my auto. insurance policy?

presence
07-23-2014, 12:28 PM
Who the hell is downvoting this? :(

I just gave it five stars.

It is an excellent thread, illustrative of how most people aren't above using the government as a club to bash any and all competition. This sort of thing is exactly why I snort in utter derision at those who try to argue we have a "free market" in this country.

I'm quite sure we've got a government troll in our ranks (or many) that hold accounts simply to downvote things.

dannno
07-23-2014, 12:51 PM
What are the insurance requirements for taxi drivers for most insurance companies? Will it double my auto. insurance policy?

You should ask Uber to make sure, but they say you only need Personal Auto Insurance and they will cover any Uber related incidents:

http://blog.uber.com/ridesharinginsurance

So I would not think you would have to tell your insurance company since Uber covers these incidents. I think this may have been an issue in the past and Uber drivers may have had to tell their insurance company before and their may have been issues with that, but I think Uber has beefed up their insurance and this may no longer be necessary but I am not a lawyer and I don't have a definitive legal opinion on it.

Also note, Uber now does criminal background checks and checks your driving record.