PDA

View Full Version : Conspiracy theorists proven right again by Snowden documents

UWDude
07-16-2014, 02:45 AM
Oh yeah. British intelligence has programs to skew polls and make favorable comments on youtube and other places.

The Government Communication Headquarters (GCHQ) – Britain’s National Security Agency (NSA) equivalent – commands a wide-ranging set of tools that enable it to hack into popular social media and communications outlets and plant false information on the Internet, according to a document published by The Intercept Monday. The long list of options ranges from inflating the results of online polls to allowing the agency to monitor Skype communications in real time, though the details of that capability remain murky.

“If you don’t see it here, it doesn’t mean we can’t build it,” JTRIG says at the top of the list of programs, which includes the following code names and descriptions:

UNDERPASS – “Change the outcome of online polls.”
SILVERLORD- “Disruption of video-based websites hosting extremist content through concerted target discovery and content removal.”
CHANGELING- “Ability to spoof any email address and send email under that identity.”
IMPERIAL BARAGE- “For connecting two target phone together in a call”

http://techcrunch.com/2014/07/14/snowden-document-exposes-extensive-list-of-british-spying-tools/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000591

But don't worry people, they only rig polls like, "do you believe terrorists are bad or good?", because obviously, GCHQ is only engaged in anti-terrorism, so they wouldn't skew polls of public discourse, about important things, like say, foreign policy or privacy.

Oh yeah, and of course, the NSA wouldn't utilize or share these tools, Oh no, of course not, they beleive in free speech!

DamianTV
07-16-2014, 02:47 AM
Social Media + Real Conspiracy = Unlimited Propoganda

nobody's_hero
07-16-2014, 02:57 AM
You know, I've realized something.

Everything's merely conspiracy theory until proven true. Then it becomes unimportant.

UWDude
07-16-2014, 03:02 AM
Note SILVERLORD trawls youtube channels and looks for the slightest infractions and reports them to get the channels shut down. Alex Jones has been hit by this a couple of times.

I am sure Google and Facebook knew about this shit, if not helped the government, or faced losing lucrative government contracts.

HOLLYWOOD
07-16-2014, 03:03 AM
This has nothing to do with terrorism or catching bad guys, this has EVERYTHING to do with complete; societal, population, and mind control. Fucking Monsters in government spy agencies and the taxpayers are picking up this? Especially the US taxpayers picking up $100s of millions in funding GCHQ sites.
AIRWOLF, ANGRY PIRATE AND DANCING BEAR: SOME OF GCHQ'S TOOLS

AIRWOLF YouTube profile, comment and video collection

ANGRY PIRATE A tool that will permanently disable a target's account on their computer

BIRDSONG Automated posting of Twitter updates

BIRDSTRIKE Twitter monitoring and profile collection

BOMB BAY The capacity to increase website hits, rankings

BURLESQUE The capacity to send spoofed SMS messages

DANCING BEAR Obtains the locations of WiFi access points

FATYAK Public data collection from LinkedIn

GESTATOR Amplification of a given message, normally video, on popular multimedia websites (YouTube)

GLASSBACK Technique of getting a target's IP address by pretending to be a spammer and ringing them. Target does not need to answer

GODFATHER Public data collection from Facebook

GOODFELLA Generic framework for public data collection from online social networks

MINIATURE HERO Active Skype capability. Provision of realtime call records (SkypeOut and SkypetoSkype) and bidirectional instant messaging. Also contact lists

PHOTON TORPEDO A technique to actively grab the IP address of MSN messenger user

SPRING-BISHOP Finding private photos of targets on Facebook

SCRAPHEAP CHALLENGE Perfect spoofing of emails from Blackberry targets

SUNBLOCK Ability to deny functionality to send/receive email or view material online

UNDERPASS Change outcome of online polls (previously known as NUBILO)

WARPATH Mass delivery of SMS messages to support an Information Operations campaign

HOLLYWOOD
07-16-2014, 03:29 AM
http://kwout.com/cutout/s/zx/rd/c36_bor.jpg

Hacking Online Polls and Other Ways British Spies Seek to Control the Internet - The Intercept (https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/07/14/manipulating-online-polls-ways-british-spies-seek-control-internet/)

FindLiberty
07-16-2014, 05:23 AM
Pfft,
All well-intentioned, I'm sure!
...just add those to the list of "so many ways that governments manage to eat out everyone's substance" tools:

Lies and Manipulation(gov’s mandatory mind-numbing K-12 "edu-training", cleverly flipped lies/truth, cooked official statistics, unlimited resources via fed funny money versus "on the tax payers back" and “national debt” illusions, MSM that gets into your head like a StarTrek "Ceti eel", illusions of free choice, privacy, and the electoral process, vilification of “enemies of the state”, gov/corporate immunity, hides/enables gargantuan levels of corruption both in and out of gov, whistle blower trap, and the endless “department of” mission creep to become the exclusive sources of knowledge, food, health, nurture, nature, safety and security).

Rules, Laws, Licensing and Regulation (just-Us system, maintain gov’s circle-of-power/status quo just because they can, or specifically to make you pay for something or force you to do something that you don't want to do, or to prevent you from doing something that you wanted to do).

Coercion and Force(domestic and international, ultimate gov power is all backed up by various flavors, levels and unlimited use of threats, fines, caging, mind controlling pills/”treatment", torture and the exclusive ultimate use of deadly force up to but not excluding total population annihilation. e.g., "Freedom Carpet Bombing" and drone strikes delivered to other countries).

P.S., IMO there are some big fundamental problems with anarchy too.

jmdrake
07-16-2014, 05:55 AM

Everything's merely conspiracy theory until proven true. Then it becomes unimportant.

You said a mouthful there! I am more and more convinced that the people within the "liberty movement" who spend their time fighting the "conspiracy theorist" are really the greatest threat to the liberty movement.

Legend1104
07-16-2014, 09:19 AM
You said a mouthful there! I am more and more convinced that the people within the "liberty movement" who spend their time fighting the "conspiracy theorist" are really the greatest threat to the liberty movement.

That is a dangerous conspiracy and you need to stop spreading it around.

pcosmar
07-16-2014, 09:53 AM
I take no pleasure in being proven right.
I sincerely wish I was wrong about some things,, and hate it when I am right,, most of the time.

Lucille
07-16-2014, 10:47 AM
The Worst Trolls On The Internet Are The Government Trolls
http://www.strike-the-root.com/making-enemies-and-negatively-influencing-people-government-troll-edition

We have all run into them. All over the Internet, there are horrible trolls that seem to delight in making life miserable for other people. But the worst trolls of all are the government trolls. And thanks to Edward Snowden, we now have some startling new evidence of what really goes on behind the scenes. According to newly revealed documents, British spy agency GCHQ is manipulating online discussions, infiltrating the computers of specific targets, purposely destroying reputations, altering the results of online polls, and using Twitter, Facebook and YouTube for propaganda and espionage purposes. If people don’t start getting outraged about this now, the governments of the western world are going to see it as a green light to do even more. Eventually, it might get so bad that we won’t be able to trust much of anything that we see on the Internet.

There is a lot about the Internet that is really awful, but one great thing about it is the fact that it has allowed average individuals to communicate on a mass scale unlike ever before. As the general population has become aware of how powerful of a tool the Internet can be, the elite have become extremely alarmed. Unlike so many other things in our society, it has not been something that they have been able to easily control.
[...]
If we are going to have a free and open society, then we simply cannot have the governments of the western world running around systematically manipulating the Internet for their own purposes.

And of course it is not just the British that are doing this kind of thing.

Just recently, for example, the U.S. was caught manipulating discourse on Reddit and editing Wikipedia.

The rest of the world is watching all of this and they are absolutely disgusted with us. The more that we act like Nazis, the more they are going to regard us as such.
[...]
The people of the western world need to stand up and say enough is enough.

Are we going to stay silent as the integrity of the Internet is destroyed?

Are we going to stay silent while the Internet is transformed into a government propaganda tool?

Are we going to stay silent while the liberties and freedoms that we have left are systematically shredded?

If you do not like the direction that all of this is going, now is the time to let your voice be heard.

dude58677
07-16-2014, 11:38 AM
Not a good day for the likes of Jay Adkisson, Dan Evans, Joey Smith, and Ret Squid.:)

VoluntaryAmerican
07-16-2014, 11:57 AM
Was the US complicit in this? Did the US know? What obligations do states have for promoting civil liberties in other countries?

Why isn't the MSM asking these questions?

Todd
07-16-2014, 12:23 PM

First hand experience is that when I tell cohort of mine about these little tidbits that are coming out lately, I get that blank stare and a "so"?

HOLLYWOOD
07-16-2014, 12:26 PM
Government has become the behemoth of all monster Mafia organizations violating the very US Codes they force the people to abide upon. RICO -- Racketeering, Influence, Corruption, & Organized Crime.
Pfft,
All well-intentioned, I'm sure!
...just add those to the list of "so many ways that governments manage to eat out everyone's substance" tools:

Lies and Manipulation(gov’s mandatory mind-numbing K-12 "edu-training", cleverly flipped lies/truth, cooked official statistics, unlimited resources via fed funny money versus "on the tax payers back" and “national debt” illusions, MSM that gets into your head like a StarTrek "Ceti eel", illusions of free choice, privacy, and the electoral process, vilification of “enemies of the state”, gov/corporate immunity, hides/enables gargantuan levels of corruption both in and out of gov, whistle blower trap, and the endless “department of” mission creep to become the exclusive sources of knowledge, food, health, nurture, nature, safety and security).

Rules, Laws, Licensing and Regulation (just-Us system, maintain gov’s circle-of-power/status quo just because they can, or specifically to make you pay for something or force you to do something that you don't want to do, or to prevent you from doing something that you wanted to do).

Coercion and Force(domestic and international, ultimate gov power is all backed up by various flavors, levels and unlimited use of threats, fines, caging, mind controlling pills/”treatment", torture and the exclusive ultimate use of deadly force up to but not excluding total population annihilation. e.g., "Freedom Carpet Bombing" and drone strikes delivered to other countries).

P.S., IMO there are some big fundamental problems with anarchy too.

FindLiberty
07-16-2014, 12:43 PM
RE:
The Worst Trolls On The Internet Are The Government Trolls

Hey, trolling keeps those same tax ticks from causing even more trouble, so let them play on the Internet instead of doing any (more harmful, real) guber-work.

nobody's_hero
07-16-2014, 03:54 PM

Well, I wasn't exactly referring to people within the liberty movement. It was more directed at the republicans I see who tend to dismiss things like Agenda 21 and then suddenly something in their home town regarding sustainable development passes through city council, and then you hear this sentiment, 'oh, well . . . it's not so bad.'

It's as if people would rather down-play things that come to fruition because they have too much pride to admit they were wrong. So, we have an endless cycle of conspiracy theories that come into the light and people don't do shit about it, because they'd have to start believing things they wouldn't normally want to believe.

First it was: The NSA isn't spying on your facebook page.

Now it's: Who cares?

I want to tell them: Just admit you were fucking wrong in the first place and help us do something about it.

dude58677
07-16-2014, 04:20 PM
How much do people get paid for government trolling?

HOLLYWOOD
07-16-2014, 05:25 PM
How much do people get paid for government trolling?Well, that depends...

There's different organizations

Government military (enlisted/officer supervision) e.g. US Army 37F cyber ops
Government civilian (DIA, CIA, NSA, DOS, DOJ, MIL, WH,
Government contractors (SAIC, Booz Allen Hamilton, HBGary, Planatir, etc)

Civilian Special Interest: AIPAC, Megaphone(new versions), SPLC, GLBST, CSIS, AEI, FPI, PNAC, ZOA, UAW, etc...

Anywhere from $50K - $200K

jmdrake
07-16-2014, 06:31 PM
I know you weren't. I was. I expect to get attacked by my enemies. I guess I'm tired of being routinely attacked by so called "friends".

Well, I wasn't exactly referring to people within the liberty movement. It was more directed at the republicans I see who tend to dismiss things like Agenda 21 and then suddenly something in their home town regarding sustainable development passes through city council, and then you hear this sentiment, 'oh, well . . . it's not so bad.'

It's as if people would rather down-play things that come to fruition because they have too much pride to admit they were wrong. So, we have an endless cycle of conspiracy theories that come into the light and people don't do shit about it, because they'd have to start believing things they wouldn't normally want to believe.

First it was: The NSA isn't spying on your facebook page.

Now it's: Who cares?

I want to tell them: Just admit you were fucking wrong in the first place and help us do something about it.

Anti Federalist
07-16-2014, 06:55 PM

Yup, this...

francisco
07-16-2014, 07:02 PM
UNDERPASS – “Change the outcome of online polls.”

I thought that was us, here on RPF

presence
07-16-2014, 07:21 PM
SILVERLORD- “Disruption of video-based websites hosting extremist content through concerted target discovery and content removal.”

I've been doing this online activism thing under this psuedonym and many others for a little over a decade. 90% or more of the older video content I've posted that has been activism related is now dead links.

Carson
07-16-2014, 07:23 PM
http://photos.imageevent.com/stokeybob/morestuff/Snowden.jpg

dude58677
07-16-2014, 07:50 PM
Is Jay Adkisson and Ret Squid the same person?

idiom
07-16-2014, 07:53 PM

It was unimportant before it was proven. Don't kid yourself.

I can't imagine any conspiracy theory that if proven true would bring down the government. People know deep down that the government is corrupt and they like it.