PDA

View Full Version : And now: The criminalization of parenthood

Anti Federalist
07-14-2014, 11:14 AM
And now: The criminalization of parenthood

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2014/07/14/and-now-the-criminalization-of-parenthood/

By Radley Balko
July 14 at 10:33 AM

A couple of themes we explore here at The Watch are the increasing criminalization of just about everything and the use of the criminal justice system to address problems that were once (and better) handled by families, friends, communities and other institutions. A few examples from recent headlines show those themes intersecting with parenthood.

The first story comes from South Carolina, where a mother was jailed and charged with “unlawful conduct toward a child” for . . . leaving her 9-year-old daughter alone to play in a park. Lenore Skenazy of “Free Range Kids” comments:

Here are the facts: Debra Harrell works at McDonald’s in North Augusta, South Carolina. For most of the summer, her daughter had stayed there with her, playing on a laptop that Harrell had scrounged up the money to purchase. (McDonald’s has free WiFi.) Sadly, the Harrell home was robbed and the laptop stolen, so the girl asked her mother if she could be dropped off at the park to play instead.

Harrell said yes. She gave her daughter a cell phone. The girl went to the park—a place so popular that at any given time there are about 40 kids frolicking—two days in a row. There were swings, a “splash pad,” and shade. On her third day at the park, an adult asked the girl where her mother was. At work, the daughter replied.

The shocked adult called the cops. Authorities declared the girl “abandoned” and proceeded to arrest the mother.

We could also lump this one in with a third theme, the criminalization of poverty. The next, very similar story comes from Blanchester, Ohio.

What started out as a normal Sunday morning for Jeffrey Williamson of Blanchester, Ohio, turned into a nightmare when police officers showed up to his front door and arrested him in front of his family. His crime? Child endangerment—as the authorities described it—because his son skipped church to go play with friends. He now faces up to six months in jail.

According to Williamson, the local Woodville Baptist Church sends a van to his neighborhood twice a week to offer free transportation to those interested in attending services. Williamson’s children ride the van regularly on Wednesdays and Sundays. This morning was no different, as his eight-year-old son Justin and siblings said goodbye to their father and left their house to board the van.

One problem: Justin skipped church and went to play instead.

The young boy stayed in the neighborhood to play with friends and then later ended up at the local Family Dollar store down the road. After police officers were called to the store by a customer who recognized Justin, they took him back to his neighborhood where they proceeded to arrest his father for child endangerment.

Williamson recounted his interaction with the police officer, stating, “The next thing you know, he comes up to me and he says, ‘You’re under arrest.’ My kids start crying their eyes out wondering why I’m getting arrested.”

To make matters worse, as a result of local news coverage of the event,Williamson was fired from his job and remained unemployed for a period of time.

Next we go to Tennessee, the most recent state to make it a felony to use illicit substances while pregnant.

A Tennessee woman is the first to be charged under a new state law that specifically makes it a crime to take drugs while pregnant, calling it “assault.”

Mallory Loyola, 26, was arrested this week after both she and her newborn infant tested positive for meth, according to ABC News affiliate WATE-TV in Knoxville, Tennessee. Loyola is the first person in the state to prosecuted for the offense.

The law, which just went into effect earlier this month, allows a woman to be “prosecuted for assault for the illegal use of a narcotic drug while pregnant” if her infant is harmed or addicted to the drug.

This story is a obviously a little different than the others. But if the law and arrest dissuade other pregnant addicts from getting help, the consequences could be quite severe.

Finally, if you haven’t yet, be sure to read Kim Brooks’s essay in Salon about her arrest for leaving her son in the car alone for five minutes while she bought a pair of headphones.

You needn’t approve of the parents’ actions in any of these cases to understand that dumping them into the criminal justice system is a terribly counterproductive way of addressing their mistakes. (And I’m not at all convinced that three of the four stories were even mistakes.) The mere fact that state officials were essentially micromanaging these parents’ decisions is creepy enough. That the consequences for the “wrong” decision are criminal is downright scary.

It doesn’t benefit these kids in the least to give their parents a criminal record, smear their parents’ names in their neighborhoods and communities and make it more difficult for their parents to find a job.

ghengis86
07-14-2014, 11:18 AM
Your children belong to the State, not you. Why is this so hard for people to understand?

tod evans
07-14-2014, 11:21 AM
Permitting governments employees to remain anonymous when they ruin lives is abhorrent!

The first step to holding government accountable is to publicize it's employees personal information..

The DA that filed the charges against either of these woman must be named and his home address made public....

Same applies to any other government employees involved from the phone operator to the judge...

presence
07-14-2014, 11:46 AM
When my son was first diagnosed with a blood disorder; they already knew his blood didn't clot correctly; the exact diagnosis wasn't confirmed yet; before we were allowed to speak with a hematologist or receive any treatment we were forced to have our son undergo a full skeletal x-ray; some 15 x-rays when he was 10 months old to prove we weren't beating him. Our only other choice was to abandon our son to the hospital and "speak to a judge in the morning".

tod evans
07-14-2014, 11:49 AM
When my son was first diagnosed with a blood disorder; they already knew his blood didn't clot correctly; the exact diagnosis wasn't confirmed yet; before we were allowed to speak with a hematologist or receive any treatment we were forced to have our son undergo a full skeletal x-ray; some 15 x-rays when he was 10 months old to prove we weren't beating him. Our only other choice was to abandon our son to the hospital and "speak to a judge in the morning".

Do you think that social worker would have been so brazen if she knew you could come visit after work?

kcchiefs6465
07-14-2014, 12:08 PM
Despite the severity of those charges, Clinton County Sheriff Dave Favro says this is not a criminal case. It's a civil case designed to get the boy and his family help.

"The need for some intervention, for program services, for some help from outside agencies, and to assist the school with keeping behaviors governed. So that's why you take this type of action so that you can make sure you get them into family court and you can get some assistance to provide the proper services that are needed," Favro said.

donnay
07-14-2014, 12:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3qtpdSQox0

SovereignMN
07-14-2014, 12:46 PM
My mom would have been arrested today and it's only a matter of time before I go to jail. I was born in 77. From the age of 10-12 I'd leave the house at 9am and would only return for lunch/dinner until the street lights came on. My mom would never know where I was. I let my 10 year old go the park by herself for a couple hours at a time and just last week I left my 2 year old in the car with the windows rolled down so I could by some tobacco.

amy31416
07-14-2014, 02:16 PM
This is fucking sick.

I knew better even when I was 10--you HELP the kid and the parents, you don't cause them further harm. I was in South Africa, apartheid was still in force and there was a family who had a little girl...she was about 6 years old. Her father was the groundskeeper, her mother was a maid--when her mother had to go to work, they had to leave the little girl behind at home alone. I didn't have to go to school, but all the other (white) kids did--so I took care of her. She got all my hand-me-downs, she came over for lunch, I started to teach her to read.

Of course, cops there wouldn't have given a shit that a little black girl was left on her own all day. But it never even occurred to me to get the "authorities" involved, nor did it occur to my mother.

Christ--help people, don't harm them.

DamianTV
07-15-2014, 02:05 AM
AF got it correct dead center of the post: Criminalization of Poverty.

And for a few mother fuckers to be ultra rich, every one else must be dirt poor.

PierzStyx
07-15-2014, 02:13 AM
Its 1984. children aren't people, they're tools of the state. You have no right to raise your children, you only have what you're allowed to do. Violate the state's dictates and be prepared to loose everything. The plan is to destroy the one thing that has always been above the and beyond the state's control-the family. It is in the family that rebellion against state authority begins, where children are taught to think and be individuals. End the family, end the threat.

devil21
07-15-2014, 02:20 AM
This stuff is nothing new though. I know for a fact that this micromanaging of parenting has been happening for at least 10 years.

THX 1138
07-15-2014, 05:41 AM
Reminds me of this incident:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-white-pride-mother-regrets-redrawing-swastika-on-child-s-arm-1.747459

A 7 year old child went to school with a swastika drawn on her arm with a marker. The mother then lost custody of her along with her other child as well.

Lucille
07-23-2014, 04:28 PM
http://reason.com/blog/2014/07/23/mom-jailed-for-letting-her-kid-play-unsu

Here is an update on the case of Debra Harrell, the South Carolina mom jailed for letting her 9-year-old play in a popular park unsupervised (you read it here first), while she worked at McDonald's.

Harrell was jailed for one night. Her daughter was kept in state custody for a whopping 17 days.

That's right: Seventeen days in custody, all because her mother wanted to let her play outside rather than sit inside a stuffy restaurant all day.

Harrell has also lost her McDonald's job. Wonkette managed to reach McDonald's, which told her that responding to any inquiries about this situation would be "inappropriate."

Robert Phillips, a trial lawyer, has taken Harrell's case a pro bono. And someone (not me) set up a "Support Debra Harrell" fund that currently has about $30,000 in it. Here it is.

At the moment, her case is pending. In other words, no justice for this mother—yet.

LibForestPaul
07-23-2014, 04:57 PM
AF got it correct dead center of the post: Criminalization of Poverty.

And for a few mother fuckers to be ultra rich, every one else must be dirt poor.

No, they don't. They could,if they choose, be ultra rich, and have everyone else middle class. Their status is not what is important. The difference between you and them is what they desire. Sociopath.

56ktarget
07-23-2014, 06:35 PM
According to paulites:

Abortion is evil
Taking meth while pregnant is perfectly ok

And who leaves their nine year old daughter alone in a park while they are off at work? That IS child endangerment, pure and simple. Its been that way for years, if not decades.

pcosmar
07-23-2014, 06:42 PM
According to paulites:

Abortion is evil

Oops,,
the +rep was a mistake. :(

donnay
07-23-2014, 06:44 PM
Oops,,

I gotcha covered.

heavenlyboy34
07-23-2014, 06:50 PM
According to paulites:

Abortion is evil

And who leaves their nine year old daughter alone in a park while they are off at work? That IS child endangerment, pure and simple. Its been that way for years, if not decades.
Somebody doesn't know "is" from "ought". :rolleyes:

HOLLYWOOD
07-23-2014, 06:51 PM
Permitting governments employees to remain anonymous when they ruin lives is abhorrent!

The first step to holding government accountable is to publicize it's employees personal information..

The DA that filed the charges against either of these woman must be named and his home address made public....

Same applies to any other government employees involved from the phone operator to the judge...^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ DAMN RIGHT ON! +rep

A reason this is important, is the Borg state is becoming more and more secretive, more totalitarian, more corrupt, more lawless. This is history repeating itself of the past brutal imperial empires. State Secrets, Immunity, classified everything, restricted documentation, population control, and of course the most abused "Internal Security"(national)

TomtheTinker
07-23-2014, 07:05 PM
Oops,,

N.p. bro.

Origanalist
07-24-2014, 08:14 PM
From the author of 'Paranoid Parenting';

How much independence should children have?

In 2001, as adult supervision seemed to be extending into every aspect of children's lives, Frank Furedi wrote the seminal 'Paranoid Parenting'. Now, as a mother who let her nine-year-old go to the park alone is jailed for abandonment, he realises that the problem is far worse than even he imagined then

FRANK FUREDI Author Biography Tuesday 22 July 2014;

It is the same story every summer. Surveys are issued and articles are published decrying the dramatic decline of children playing outdoors. This ritual of hand-wringing about the "end of childhood" usually terminates around the end of August as parents get ready for their daily routine of driving their kids to school.

This summer, it was the turn of the National Trust to commission a survey to report what has been communicated in hundreds of studies during the past two decades. Its survey of seven- to 12-year-olds rediscovered that most youngsters play outdoors for less than an hour a day and that the "simple delights" of climbing trees and building dens have been replaced by hours spent in front of screens in digital bedrooms. In recent weeks, these findings have been echoed by reports in Canada and the United States.

No doubt the authors of these reports and many other adults are genuinely worried about the estrangement of children from outdoor play and independent mobility. But society as a whole does not take children's freedom seriously. Its statements of concern represent a gesture of hypocrisy on this matter. Why? Because Western societies actually regard parents who allow their children to pursue an independent outdoor life as irresponsible. Indeed, in some cases, parents who permit their child to lead an independent life are actually criminalised.

Close at hand: parents are increasingly frowned upon for letting children out of arm’s length Close at hand: parents are increasingly frowned upon for letting children out of arm’s length (Alamy) Take the recent arrest and jailing of Debra Harrell, a South Carolina mother. Her crime was that she allowed her nine-year-old daughter to play with her friends in the park while she worked. The youngster had two days of fun messing around with other children before a busybody adult asked where her mum was. When told that her mum was at work, the adult phoned the police, who promptly declared that the girl was abandoned and arrested Harrell.

Those readers who are tempted to conclude that these miscarriages of justice happen only in the American South and not in our own backyard should take a reality check. Look at the recent account of a London mother who sought to cultivate her children's capacity for independence.

"I was coming home through the small park with my two children, and my very sensible nearly six-year-old wanted to go ahead, so I let her, and told her to wait at the gate, which is near a road. It took me two or three minutes to get there with my two-year-old. When I got there, as I expected, my six-year-old was waiting for me, but also there was a crowd of people around her. I got a lot of disapproving glances and one woman told me I was being irresponsible. This has put my daughter off from running ahead even more than it has put me off encouraging her! Talking to friends of mine, versions of this are a common experience."

Thankfully, this mother did not have to face the sanctions of the system of criminal justice. But the reaction she faced was not unlike the one that confronted Debra Harrell. In the current climate of obsession with children's safety, parents who let their youngsters out of sight court the accusation of irresponsibility, if not gross negligence. Is it any surprise that many parents are less than enthusiastic about providing their offspring more opportunities for outdoor play?

So before another charity is tempted to produce another dreary report decrying the erosion of outdoor play, they should acknowledge the reality, which is that such activity directly contradicts the prevailing ethos of child protection. And the paranoia is getting worse.

In 2001, when I published my book Paranoid Parenting, I was genuinely surprised to discover that virtually all experiences associated with childhood came with a health warning. At the time, Paranoid Parenting documented the growing tendency to extend adult supervision into every aspect of children's lives. It was apparent that the outdoors had become a no-go area for many youngsters and that the majority of parents did not even allow their offspring to walk to school on their own. The idea that children were too vulnerable to be allowed to take risks had already become entrenched. That was bad enough. But since the turn of the century, the regime of child protection has become steadily more pervasive and intrusive. The relentless erosion of children's freedom has been paralleled by the constant tendency to politicise parenting.

During the past decade or so, the banning of a variety of activities associated with children's life has acquired a relentless dynamic. I still remember, when in February 2007 after a group of children were suspended from school for throwing snowballs, an angry mother writing to me to ask: "What will they think of next?" Regrettably, the obsessive impulse to regulate children's life ensures that the next target of child protection is already on the horizon.

More than any of the bans introduced in recent years, the attempt to discourage children from playing with horse chestnuts symbolised the irrationality of the crusading spirit driving child protection. In 2001, no one imagined that English children would be prevented from pursuing the age-old custom of conkering. At first, many adults were shocked when they discovered that a few local authorities had introduced a new policy of "tree management", a euphemism for preventing children from climbing on horse-chestnut trees or playing with conkers. Today, that shock has turned into a sense of resignation. The refrain "we live in a different world" signals this uneasy acquiescence to the new reality.

continued...http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/how-much-independence-should-children-have-9619918.html