PDA

View Full Version : Portman Weighs Filling Bush Gap in 2016 Primary Field

Suzanimal
07-13-2014, 06:16 AM
A Bush by another name...

Rob Portman’s been a runner-up in two straight Republican vice-presidential selection sweepstakes. Now, the Ohio senator is weighing whether to leapfrog the process with his own presidential bid in 2016.

As Tea Party-favorite Rand Paul is building an extensive campaign operation, Portman, 58, is positioning himself to be the party establishment’s last chance to stop the Kentucky senator or other favorites of the small-government movement if former Florida Governor Jeb Bush and New Jersey Governor Chris Christie don’t jump into the Republican primary race.

Portman, a Bush family confidant, argues that the problem in Washington is too little insider experience in the White House, a message that could resonate with Republicans who think President Barack Obama’s lack of seasoning hurt the country.

“I would not foreclose looking at running after the 2014 elections,” Portman said yesterday at a Bloomberg News breakfast.

“I’m looking for a candidate who, again, can help return America’s promise, which is to be able to provide prosperity at home and lead the world, and I’m concerned that this administration is not and has not done that,” he said. “I think part of it is a lack of experience. And so, I will be looking for people who have experience running things, people that have experience working with the other side of the aisle, getting things done.”

He also stands out from some within his party. He supports gay marriage -- he spoke out about his “change of heart” last year after his son Will told his parents he is gay. He hails from Quaker abolitionist ancestors and speaks Spanish, in a party lagging in Hispanic support. :rolleyes:

Florida Agriculture Commissioner Adam Putnam, an ally of Jeb Bush who served with Portman in the U.S. House, says the Ohio senator has the makings of a strong candidate.

“Rob Portman is a proven winner in a key swing state,” Putnam said. “He has strong foreign policy and executive leadership lines on his impeccable résumé from his days as trade rep and OMB director. I’m not at all surprised he’s taking a look at this if Jeb decides against a run.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-07-11/portman-weighs-filling-bush-gap-in-2016-primary-field.html

GunnyFreedom
07-13-2014, 08:10 AM
Yep, it's starting to boil up.

SodaHead Post (http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/ron-paul-obama-different-guys-same-foreign-policy-----by-john-ransom-jul-13-2014/question-4406783/?link=1969305&uuid=86080256fa294b1aa0b180cdb58451d8)

Ron Paul, Obama: Different Guys, Same Foreign Policy --- by John Ransom | Jul 13, 2014
by Jackie G - Poker Playing Patriot Posted July 13, 2014 (7 hours ago)

Flattus wrote: It's funny to watch Cons attempt to portray this disaster in Iraq as Obama's issue. Sorry, no sale. Thinking Americans know whose war this is. But it's not surprising to see you run from it. From Ron Paul's column today, referring to Necons:

"They cannot admit they were wrong about the invasion being a ‘cakewalk’ that would pay for itself, so they want to blame last week's events on the 2011 US withdrawal from Iraq. But the trouble started with the 2003 invasion itself, not the 2011 troop withdrawal. Anyone who understands cause and effect should understand this."-- Welcome Our Newest Ally! Iran!

Dear Comrade Flattass,

Doctor Ron “Buy Gold at Any Price” Paul is an interesting man. Very smart too.

But he’s no historian. Or investor.

Half the time I don’t even think he’s sane.

Why is it that libertarians have given themselves over to a man that they treat more as Saint Paul than they do as just another man?

Because what "Saint" Paul has written about the Iraq war isn’t Gospel. It isn't even accurate.

The trouble in Iraq didn’t start in 2003, or in 1990—the First Gulf War—or with the toppling of the Shah of Iran in 1979. Or in operation “Ajax” in 1953 when we deposed the government of Iran and installed the Shah in its place.

Everything in history is part of what came before it.

I have no problem admitting that the Bush administration was wrong in portraying the war as a cakewalk. War should never be declared while dismissing “the many disappointments and many unpleasant surprises,” that Churchill warned was attendant upon any war. I said this at the time.

War rarely goes as one would wish.

As one Lt. General told me: “We had a plan. And it was almost like they purposefully [screwed] it up.”

If the second Bush administration made a long-lasting, salient case for American involvement in the overthrow of Saddam Hussein, I don’t remember it.

But for Doctor Ron “Buy Gold at Any Price” Paul to sit back and say the THAT’S the problem in Iraq now, is either willful ignorance or lack of vision.

Here’s the problem in Iraq: They have ten percent of the world’s oil reserves. And there have been, in my lifetime, three powers tussling over the control of the region.

The first is the Soviet Union, popularly styled as “Russia” today.

The next is Islamic militants, who you can’t be rooting for—I mean you can be for them, but see the insanity defense about Doctor Ron “Buy Gold at Any Price” Paul above.

And finally there have been secular dictators, who from time to time have received support from the U.S.

Now you may argue that we should butt out of the Middle East, as Obama and Doctor Ron “Buy Gold at Any Price” Paul argue, saying: “Let them sort it out internally.”

But that ignores one reality you can’t get past: What is in the best interest of the United States of America?

My America is a great country. My America held fair and free elections in Iraq, a first in the Middle East outside of Israel. My America is a voice of peaceful—relatively speaking—change for Arabs who, just like you, covet freedom-- no matter what urban hipster doofuses like you say.

Is freedom just an American birthright that liberty snobs like you inherited from the blood bought by better men than you?

I don’t think so. I think freedom is inalienable.

That means it applies to Iraqis as it does to members of inconsequential third parties like libertarians, who too often just hide their mediocrity behind non-conformity.

Real reform is accomplished by staying and fighting.

There is only one right part of this debate.

If this world is to survive the next 100 years, other countries would do better to imitate the United States—the totality of our national experience, not the last 20 years—than to stick to their outmoded, old fashioned concepts of global real-politik.

The worst misfortune to fall on Iraq was Saddam Hussein.

One might argue that invading Iraq to get rid of him was a mistake. But that doesn’t make leaving Iraq afterward right, either by logic or morality. Nor does it make it in the best interest of the United States.

I would like the rest of the world to enjoy the blessings that an old-fashioned butt whopping gave both Germany and Japan.

I want a world that looks more like America, not less.

That, not nuclear-free zones, or cutting carbon, or making marijuana legal, is how the next century will be decided.

And make no mistake: Withdrawing from the world won’t make it safer for us. It will just mean we have fewer allies, if any, when the fight comes to your front door.

Rand Paul will not be president of the United States, yet alone GOP nominee, if he follows his father's foreign policy proclivities.

http://img2u.info/img/g68c2664f.png

Seriously, the OP question is Orwellian at best. Pretty much any rational person with intellectual integrity can easily see that Obama's foreign policy is FAR closer to Bush's than Paul's. Bush and Obama are interventionists who invade other nations with force of arms when they do not do what we command them to. Paul would develop mutual friendship trade and sovereignty. Paul's plan is clearly the path to more national security and legitimate world peace, but most American voters prefer the security of being children over the even more secure sovereignty of being adults.

Bush and Obama are nearly identical twins when it comes to foreign policy. Ron Paul especially, and to no small degree the "Liberty Caucus" that is filling his void in Congress today, has a foreign policy that it at once twice as secure as our current policy, less than 2/3 the current cost, and developing of global cooperation instead of animosity.

The neocon warmongers are a collective of blood-thirsty psychopaths, who seek and enjoy the power to kill. WRT foreign policy, Barack Obama is as much or even more of a neocon as was George W. Bush.

Equating Paul's foreign policy with Obama's is a rhetorical stunt and an elegant work of sophistry, designed to simply give partisan voters an excuse to not dig deeper into what is true. Sophistic and sophisticated, this kind of propaganda is a cancer on America and it needs to be recognized before it can be cut out.

On it's most superficial level, the obvious comparison to male bovine fecal matter should be clear within the span on 1 or 2 sentences. Both the Obama and Bush usurpers invaded nations willy-nilly without declarations in violation of Constitutional War powers and the War Powers Act of Congress. Under their direct guidance, the vast majority of police forces have utterly militarized also in technical violation of the War powers Act and (the now defunct, thank you Bush) Posse Comitatus Act. For 30 years Paul has been the only voice warning against this very outcome and patiently explaining how to avoid it.

We can still change course today. It is almost but not quite too late. We have to rise together in every voting booth in America over the next 3 general elections and faithfully vote according to the Constitution, and NOT Party and NOT personality or appearance; but read the Constitution and vote for the one who embodies it.

We do that, we save America. We do not, and well; you will see what is coming soon enough. :(

All along Paul has been the voice crying in the wilderness, pointing the way to the highway of peace, prosperity, liberty, and security. All along the politicians in all the Parties have been dragging us down the path to a dystopian tyranny. There can be no greater distinction between Paul and Obama. Paul and the rest of the Constitutionalist Caucus leads to peace, prosperity, and security; while Obama and the rest of the Neoconservative caucus leads to more war, poverty, and terroristic dangers around every corner.

It is up to America to choose which process and outcome they desire now.

RonPaulFanInGA
07-13-2014, 09:05 AM
Rob Portman is about as exciting as Tim Pawlenty, and will suffer the same fate as a result, should he run for the GOP nomination for President.

Barrex
07-13-2014, 09:07 AM
My America held fair and free elections in Iraq
HA HA HA

My Communist China held fair and free elections in U.S.A....

TheCount
07-13-2014, 09:32 AM
I was hoping to fill a bush gap this weekend, but then I struck out at the bar.

Suzanimal
07-14-2014, 06:51 AM
We can still change course today. It is almost but not quite too late. We have to rise together in every voting booth in America over the next 3 general elections and faithfully vote according to the Constitution, and NOT Party and NOT personality or appearance; but read the Constitution and vote for the one who embodies it.

We do that, we save America. We do not, and well; you will see what is coming soon enough. :(

All along Paul has been the voice crying in the wilderness, pointing the way to the highway of peace, prosperity, liberty, and security. All along the politicians in all the Parties have been dragging us down the path to a dystopian tyranny. There can be no greater distinction between Paul and Obama. Paul and the rest of the Constitutionalist Caucus leads to peace, prosperity, and security; while Obama and the rest of the Neoconservative caucus leads to more war, poverty, and terroristic dangers around every corner.

It is up to America to choose which process and outcome they desire now.

All along the politicians in all the Parties have been dragging us down the path to a dystopian tyranny.

Unfortunately, I don't believe many people have been "dragged". 'Murica!:(

Suzanimal
07-14-2014, 06:52 AM
Rob Portman is about as exciting as Tim Pawlenty, and will suffer the same fate as a result, should he run for the GOP nomination for President.

I agree but that won't stop the GOP and media from pushing him over Rand come 2016.

Suzanimal
07-14-2014, 06:59 AM
I was hoping to fill a bush gap this weekend, but then I struck out at the bar.

“I think part of it is a lack of experience.”-Rob Portman

;)

William Tell
07-14-2014, 07:11 AM
Ok, another NeoCon who supports same sex marriage. Shows they really are Marxists.

Suzanimal
07-14-2014, 07:51 AM
Ok, another NeoCon who supports same sex marriage. Shows they really are Marxists.

He also stands out from some within his party. He supports gay marriage -- he spoke out about his “change of heart” last year after his son Will told his parents he is gay. He hails from Quaker abolitionist ancestors and speaks Spanish, in a party lagging in Hispanic support.

So his ancestors were against slavery, his son is gay and he also speaks Spanish, lol. I guess that means he'll draw blacks, Hispanics and gays to the GOP AND he has the BUSH foreign policy to go along with it.:rolleyes: Clearly Portman's the guy to bring more minority voters into the big tent, not the guy that's actually out there talking to minorities and actively trying to recruit them based on substance. The above quote (not William Tells, the one from the article) smacks of idiocy to me, and just the kind of crap that drives minorities away from the GOP. The only thing they forgot to mention is that he also has a daughter so he must be good on women's issues, right?

Portman, 58, is positioning himself to be the party establishment’s last chance to stop the Kentucky senator or other favorites of the small-government movement

Wait a minute...I thought the GOP is the small government party.

William Tell
07-14-2014, 07:56 AM
So his ancestors were against slavery, his son is gay and he also speaks Spanish, lol. I guess that means he'll draw blacks, Hispanics and gays to the GOP AND he has the BUSH foreign policy to go along with it.:rolleyes: Clearly Portman's the guy to bring more minority voters into the big tent, not the guy that's actually out there talking to minorities and actively trying to recruit them based on substance. The above quote smacks of idiocy to me, and just the kind of crap that drives minorities away from the GOP. The only thing they forgot to mention is that he also has a daughter so he must be good on women's issues, right?

Wait a minute...I thought the GOP is the small government party.

I am still majorly ticked the that the Lame Old Party picked Cleveland over Dallas for the Convention. It shows they don't care about their base. Also the Texas Gop is a little more grassroots friendly than some, so they might have had more trouble covering up the dirty tricks.

Suzanimal
07-14-2014, 08:01 AM
I am still majorly ticked the that the Lame Old Party picked Cleveland over Dallas for the Convention. It shows they don't care about their base. Also the Texas Gop is a little more grassroots friendly than some, so they might have had more trouble covering up the dirty tricks.

Cleveland Rocks!:p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ3plaSowWc

William Tell
07-14-2014, 08:06 AM
Cleveland Rocks!:p

#%&! :mad:

GunnyFreedom
07-14-2014, 01:00 PM
Unfortunately, I don't believe many people have been "dragged". 'Murica!:(

I dunno. I really think the voting patterns are the result of brainwash. Congress has something like a 6% approval rating, and the President is not much better. So if you block out only the idiot voting patterns it looks awfully 'unwilling' to me. So I surmise that the voting patterns are the result of multilayered brainwashing.

William Tell
07-14-2014, 01:04 PM
I dunno. I really think the voting patterns are the result of brainwash. Congress has something like a 6% approval rating, and the President is not much better. So if you block out only the idiot voting patterns it looks awfully 'unwilling' to me. So I surmise that the voting patterns are the result of multilayered brainwashing.

Everyone HATES Congress, except for their congressman...:rolleyes:

TheCount
07-14-2014, 04:17 PM
;)

That's not very nice. :(:o:D

Lucille
07-15-2014, 08:34 AM
What "Bush gap?" Bushtards (http://reason.com/blog/2014/07/14/rick-perry-is-at-least-the-7th-gop-presi) are all the loser GOP has to offer.