PDA

View Full Version : Boy, 17, sentenced to 23 YEARS for fatally shooting a retired police dog

mad cow
07-12-2014, 08:53 AM
Equal protection under the law in Sunny Florida.

A 17-year-old boy has been sentenced to 23 years behind bars for fatally shooting a retired police dog during a burglary.
Ivins Rosier was convicted in May for breaking into the Florida home of a trooper and shooting the officer's five-year-old German Shepherd two years ago. Drake, a former drug-sniffing dog, was euthanized five days later.
Rosier, who was 16 at the time of the incident but tried as an adult, was sentenced on Friday on charges of animal cruelty, armed burglary and shooting into an occupied building.

Much more and pics at link:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2689248/Teen-17-sentenced-23-years-jail-fatally-shooting-retired-police-dog.html

aGameOfThrones
07-12-2014, 09:12 AM
Only cops can do that.

presence
07-12-2014, 09:12 AM
Lets just be clear... the dog was euthanised the week after he was shot.

Henry Rogue
07-12-2014, 09:28 AM
Only cops can do that.

Laws, only apply to the powerless.

roho76
07-12-2014, 12:10 PM
Does the dog get retirement benefits? Let me rephrase that, does the kop receive retirement benefits on behalf of the dog?

Anti Federalist
07-12-2014, 01:54 PM
Some Animals Are More Equal Than Others.

Christian Liberty
07-12-2014, 01:57 PM
What should the sentence for this be?

presence
07-12-2014, 02:11 PM
What should the sentence for this be?

When a 16 year old does this?

House arrest, 16 hours/week community service for a 24 months, $5000 reparation to the dog owner.

When an adult does this?

Add 6 months in Jail and an other $5000.

When a cop does this under the color of law?

23 years is just fine with me.

buenijo
07-12-2014, 02:15 PM
OMFG!

Even the police DOGS are afforded higher status than the general populace!

This is a SICK, SICK, SICK SOCIETY!

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/pub/timeserv/annual/section2.html#murder

CPUd
07-12-2014, 02:15 PM
It would be interesting to see what would happen if a retired police shoots a retired police dog.

phill4paul
07-12-2014, 02:27 PM
When a 16 year old does this?

House arrest, 16 hours/week community service for a 24 months, $5000 reparation to the dog owner.

When an adult does this?

Add 6 months in Jail and an other $5000.

When a cop does this under the color of law?

23 years is just fine with me.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to presence again.

Warrior_of_Freedom
07-12-2014, 03:04 PM
Could have given the kid life for all I care. He is lucky he wasn't the one who was shot. You don't break into people's homes.
Topic is misleading, but that's something I've come to expect in RPF, I guess.

phill4paul
07-12-2014, 03:08 PM
Could have given the kid life for all I care. He is lucky he wasn't the one who was shot. You don't break into people's homes.

He is lucky. And you are correct that you do not break into peoples homes. However, life in prison serves no purpose except to steal your money.

Warrior_of_Freedom
07-12-2014, 03:11 PM
He is lucky. And you are correct that you do not break into peoples homes. However, life in prison serves no purpose except to steal your money.

Well either he goes to prison or that piece of shit lives another day to break in somebody else's home. It's not like he accidentally ran over the dog or something, he busted into somebody's house and fired his gun

phill4paul
07-12-2014, 03:16 PM
Well either he goes to prison or that piece of shit lives another day to break in somebody else's home. It's not like he accidentally ran over the dog or something, he busted into somebody's house and fired his gun

Yeah, your right. 16 years old. No hope for him. Beyond redemption and rehabilitation. Should just shoot him now.

Warrior_of_Freedom
07-12-2014, 03:19 PM
Yeah, your right. 16 years old. No hope for him. Beyond redemption and rehabilitation. Should just shoot him now.

When I was 16 I knew stealing, shooting, raping, killing, etc was not a nice thing to do. Oh, and I knew how to read.

phill4paul
07-12-2014, 03:27 PM
When I was 16 I knew stealing, shooting, raping, killing, etc was not a nice thing to do. Oh, and I knew how to read.

Good on ya. Did you learn how to do math? His incarceration will cost you nearly $1 million. Give or take a few hundred thousand. For doing what cops get away with in AmeriKa every single day. Breaking into a house, robbing, shooting into occupied building and shooting dogs.
Don't get me wrong. I don't condone what he did. There should be consequences. But putting him into a pen that was crated to increase corporate wealth ain't my idea of justice.

Cutlerzzz
07-12-2014, 03:31 PM
He wasnt given 23 years for shooting a dog. He was given 23 years for breaking into someone's with a gun and malicious intent, attempting to steal their stuff, shooting their pet, and risking the life of anyone who could have been involved.

phill4paul
07-12-2014, 03:38 PM
He wasnt given 23 years for shooting a dog. He was given 23 years for breaking into someone's with a gun and malicious intent, attempting to steal their stuff, shooting their pet, and risking the life of anyone who could have been involved.

And he was a 16 year old. Tried as an adult in a society that does not treat him as one. Unless, of course, he does what he did.
One million dollars. One million. Christ if the prison system was really about reformation than a trade school or college within the system, with half the served time, would be cheaper. Something that could get him on track.
So as it stands he will get out at age 39. An unemployable ex-con. Do you know what he is gonna have to do to get by? A guess? He'll be better at it the next go round. He'll be going to the school of hard knocks. Unless something is done to change his life then you are just delaying the inevitable. And you're out a million bucks.

mad cow
07-12-2014, 03:42 PM

The topic of this thread is equal protection under the law.Anybody who blows the head off of a person attempting to burglarize their home should get a parade and a key to the city as far as i'm concerned.

FF asked what should the sentence for this be?Well,what is the average sentence for burglary in Florida?
What is the average sentence for burglary by 16 year olds (and a young 16 at that,the article states that the crime was ~2 years ago and he is 17 now)?Add what is the average sentence for shooting a dog.

Subtract that amount from the sentence this kid got and that is the amount he got for shooting a police dog.

Every ~98 minutes a cop shoots a dog in America.what is the average sentence these cops received?
Were all these shootings justified?
Has any cop ever even spent overnight in jail for kicking someone's door in and shooting their dog even if it's the wrong address or he is at their house or in their yard or walking by their car in a shopping center parking lot without a warrant or permission?

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

morfeeis
07-12-2014, 03:42 PM
So 23 years for a 16 year old breaking into someones home sounds fair to you? that's just silly.

CPUd
07-12-2014, 03:46 PM
So 23 years for a 16 year old breaking into someones home sounds fair to you? that's just silly.

If he didn't fire the gun, it would have been less. Without the gun, it would have been a lot less, and he probably would not have been tried as an adult.

Cutlerzzz
07-12-2014, 04:14 PM
And he was a 16 year old. Tried as an adult in a society that does not treat him as one. Unless, of course, he does what he did.
One million dollars. One million. Christ if the prison system was really about reformation than a trade school or college within the system, with half the served time, would be cheaper. Something that could get him on track.
So as it stands he will get out at age 39. An unemployable ex-con. Do you know what he is gonna have to do to get by? A guess? He'll be better at it the next go round. He'll be going to the school of hard knocks. Unless something is done to change his life then you are just delaying the inevitable. And you're out a million bucks.

He risked people's lives. He destroyed irreplaceable property. He was willing to kill in order to potentially acquire small amounts of stolen loot. I don't care that he is done. He should have thought of that before charging into someone's house with a gun with the intent to fire it on anything trying to stop him.

Christian Liberty
07-12-2014, 04:20 PM
I'm kind of "meh" on this one. 23 years seems like a lot, but he did break into somebody's house and shoot. I'm not really outraged by the sentence, in theory. I could maybe see it being less, but that's more of a pragmatic issue than a moral one. Its immoral to lock people up for drug use, period. Its not immoral to choose a 23 year sentence instead of (say) a 10 year one. Its kind of an arbitrary determination.

The biggest issue for me is that in all likelihood the sentence was higher just because the victim was a cop. Doubly so if that cop has ever shot anyone else's dog ever (I don't know) or broken into someone else's home on a drug raid or something like that (very likely but I still don't know.)

My mind always spins in these types of cases because my first gut reaction is "the cop is actually worse, people have just been brainwashed into thinking otherwise." And then of course there's the fact that the cop himself has been brainwashed into thinking otherwise to. I'm not sure if this is right or wrong, but I almost want to reduce the sentence just because the victim is a cop, and thus not truly innocent.

XNavyNuke
07-12-2014, 04:37 PM
If he didn't fire the gun, it would have been less. Without the gun, it would have been a lot less, and he probably would not have been tried as an adult.

He will be on probation in five. He's already completed his GED and is working on becoming a minister and will promise to work with other misguided yutes like his'elf.

XNN

XNavyNuke
07-12-2014, 04:39 PM
http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2012-11-29/news/fl-drake-police-dog-indictment-20121129_1_police-dog-felony-drake

. Rosier was wearing an ankle monitor at the time, as a condition of his arrest on another burglary charge. But the monitor did not alert the Department of Juvenile Justice that Rosier was outside his residence because the monitor was not properly activated upon his Nov. 13 release from custody, according to the State Attorney's office.

Maybe the Just Us bureaucrat will come visit him after he's fired for incompetence.

XNN

Anti Federalist
07-12-2014, 05:37 PM

I'll care about that, when I see asshole cops going to jail for the same length of time for blowing toddler's faces off with grenades and shooting 7 year old girls in the face, while raiding the wrong fucking house.

Otherwise, meh.

Punishment meted out for mundanes in much harsher terms than that for the King's Paddy-Rollers is not justice.

Anti Federalist
07-12-2014, 05:40 PM
Annnddd...what he said.

The topic of this thread is equal protection under the law.Anybody who blows the head off of a person attempting to burglarize their home should get a parade and a key to the city as far as i'm concerned.

FF asked what should the sentence for this be?Well,what is the average sentence for burglary in Florida?
What is the average sentence for burglary by 16 year olds (and a young 16 at that,the article states that the crime was ~2 years ago and he is 17 now)?Add what is the average sentence for shooting a dog.

Subtract that amount from the sentence this kid got and that is the amount he got for shooting a police dog.

Every ~98 minutes a cop shoots a dog in America.what is the average sentence these cops received?
Were all these shootings justified?
Has any cop ever even spent overnight in jail for kicking someone's door in and shooting their dog even if it's the wrong address or he is at their house or in their yard or walking by their car in a shopping center parking lot without a warrant or permission?

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Anti Federalist
07-12-2014, 05:40 PM
He will be on probation in five. He's already completed his GED and is working on becoming a minister and will promise to work with other misguided yutes like his'elf.

XNN

No doubt released early to make room for an evil dope smoker.

tod evans
07-12-2014, 05:42 PM
Punishment meted out for mundanes in much harsher terms than that for the King's Paddy-Rollers is not justice.

"Justice" will not be found in their courts,

dillo
07-12-2014, 06:11 PM
Oh the double standard

donnay
07-12-2014, 09:18 PM
The double standard...

Officer Robert Miller, Suspended For Leaving K-9 Partner In Hot Car, Leading To Dog's Death
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/16/k-9-tank-death_n_3767699.html

Police dog dies after Harris deputy leaves him in hot car
http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Police-dog-dies-after-Harris-deputy-leaves-him-in-4753366.php

cindy25
07-12-2014, 09:21 PM
good, he deserves it

but...so do the police who do the same thing.

heavenlyboy34
07-12-2014, 09:31 PM
good, he deserves it

but...so do the police who do the same thing.

How so? That feeds the prison-industrial complex and does nothing to compensate the victims. Irrational, arbitrary sentencing to "teach someone a lesson" or to "make someone an example" is not "justice". (note that I am not defending what the kid did)

heavenlyboy34
07-12-2014, 09:36 PM
'If you shoot that dog and he dies, that's murder of a law enforcement officer,' DiMola pressed Rosier in the interrogation video.

But if a cop shoots a mundane's pet and it dies, that's just tough shit. 'Cuz, ya know, some animals are just more equal than others.