PDA

View Full Version : Outrage over hunting photos

Michael Landon
07-12-2014, 07:56 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/shuttered-belgian-teen-loses-model-gig-after-controversial-photo-surfaces-071114

http://msn.foxsports.com/college-football/story/kendall-jones-texas-tech-cheerleader-defends-big-game-hunting-pics-facebook-070214

When did hunting become such a terrible thing? We are witnessing the demise of both the 1st and 2nd amendments with these stories.

- ML

thoughtomator
07-12-2014, 09:55 AM
When did hunting become such a terrible thing? We are witnessing the demise of both the 1st and 2nd amendments with these stories

Sport hunting - as opposed to food hunting - is generally acknowledged to be an extremely barbaric hobby. What kind of person kills majestic animals for fun?

asurfaholic
07-12-2014, 10:44 AM
Sport hunting - as opposed to food hunting - is generally acknowledged to be an extremely barbaric hobby. What kind of person kills majestic animals for fun?

Lots of people have killed other people for money or less. I'd say sport hunters are at least conscious of the life they are taking. the hunters generally care about the animals they hunt and the environment that supports them

surf
07-12-2014, 11:20 AM
these hot chicks hunting makes me rethink my desire to not shoot animals....

nah, scratch that. but it does make me want to be a hunting guide.

juleswin
07-12-2014, 11:25 AM
The Belgian fan outrage is a bit different. The reason is not so much for the hunting picture but the caption quote joking about hunting Americans. I think it was said in jest but I can see how a company trying to sell to Americans would take offense to it.

Brian4Liberty
07-12-2014, 11:31 AM
When did hunting become such a terrible thing? We are witnessing the demise of both the 1st and 2nd amendments with these stories.

- ML

When people became completely insulated from the meat production process.

RonPaulFanInGA
07-12-2014, 11:34 AM

It's used as a propaganda tool by the PETA crowd to demonize hunters.

Brian4Liberty
07-12-2014, 11:37 AM
The Belgian fan outrage is a bit different. The reason is not so much for the hunting picture but the caption quote joking about hunting Americans. I think it was said in jest but I can see how a company trying to sell to Americans would take offense to it.

It's understandable when taken in context. Still a bit in bad taste, especially considering some of the injuries occurring in the World Cup.

Dr.3D
07-12-2014, 12:29 PM
Well, I can see outrage when people are hunting endangered species and then saying, it's to help keep them from going extinct.

presence
07-12-2014, 01:16 PM
The girls first kill was a White Rhino ffs. She's not hunting to feed her family she's hunting to feed her ego. I have little respect and I'm a hunter.

juleswin
07-12-2014, 01:19 PM
The girls first kill was a White Rhino ffs. She's not hunting to feed her family she's hunting to feed her ego. I have little respect and I'm a hunter.

Those animals are sold to the villages around the area and eaten as food. They also pay big money for their hunting trip and I think a bit extra per kill which give the villagers an incentive to protect their cash cow and in essence preserve the species. So even though the girl will not eat the animal, it will most likely not go to waste

juleswin
07-12-2014, 01:21 PM
double post

presence
07-12-2014, 01:40 PM
Those animals are sold to the villages around the area and eaten as food. They also pay big money for their hunting trip and I think a bit extra per kill which give the villagers an incentive to protect their cash cow and in essence preserve the species. So even though the girl will not eat the animal, it will most likely not go to waste

I'm not buying it. White Rhino is critically endangered in a downward spiral of inbreeding depression. You want to do them a favor... donate some cows to the local village and offer to go tranquilizer hunting for scientific research. There are 20,000 left of a 500,000 herd 100 years ago; killing off diversity is a selfish act beyond reason.

CPUd
07-12-2014, 01:51 PM
With the Belgian girl- This is an international cosmetics company who has spent a lot of time and resources convincing people they don't test their products on animals (anymore). They cut her loose so quickly, there wasn't enough time for any real outrage.

juleswin
07-12-2014, 02:03 PM
I'm not buying it. White Rhino is critically endangered in a downward spiral of inbreeding depression. You want to do them a favor... donate some cows to the local village and offer to go tranquilizer hunting for scientific research. There are 20,000 left of a 500,000 herd 100 years ago; killing off diversity is a selfish act beyond reason.

Better start buying it, a lot of people in those villages depend on the economic boost from the hunters and sadly the only way anyone pays any attention to them is when they have something beastly they want to kill. Maybe if people like you donated more often to their cause, they wouldn't need the extra funds from hunters to make a better life for themselves and families.

Also these hunting groups are very pro animal conservationist, they try to kill only old and male animals, this way the breeding cycles is not hampered by their hunting trip. Plus it ensures that they have more animals to hunt in the future. More animals means cheaper cost per head.

presence
07-12-2014, 02:08 PM
Hunting boils down to 3 things:

Respect
Reverence
Take what you need

In this girls heart I see:

Trophies
Justifications
Attention Whoring

juleswin
07-12-2014, 02:16 PM
Hunting boils down to 3 things:

Respect
Reverence
Take what you need

In this girls heart I see:

Trophies
Justifications
Attention Whoring

I don't see how any of those items you listed are mutually exclusive? I am no expert on hunting since the only think I have ever hunted are small lizards and geicos but if their actions contribute to the preservation of those endangered animals, it will be a good thing in my book.

presence
07-12-2014, 02:40 PM
I am no expert on hunting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_viable_population
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effective_population_size
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inbreeding_depression
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_bottleneck
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_ethic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_extinction
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutational_meltdown
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction_vortex

Removing any individual from a population in the midst of a mutational meltdown is not Respecting or having Reverence for the species; its shameful and selfish. If you want to help a critically endangered species and you're a hunter... then sport tranquilize for science relocation, breeding, and tracking efforts. Don't kill or your children will not have the same opportunities.

asurfaholic
07-12-2014, 03:17 PM

Are we reading the same article?

Clearly from the 2nd listed reference in the OP it states that the rhino was shot with a tranquilizer dart and then researchers used that opportunity to run some tests on the animal.

Origanalist
07-12-2014, 03:25 PM

Clearly from the 2nd listed reference in the OP it states that the rhino was shot with a tranquilizer dart and then researchers used that opportunity to run some tests on the animal.

"The vet drew blood, took DNA samples, took body and head measurements, treated a leg injury and administered antibiotics. I felt very lucky to be part of such a great program and procedure that helps the White Rhino population through conservation."///

Origanalist
07-12-2014, 03:26 PM
Virginia dem offers $100,000 for nude photo of texas tech cheerleader kendall jones

Congressional candidate Mike Dickinson (D-VA) is offering $100,000 to anyone who can provide him with a nude photograph of Texas Tech Cheerleader Kendall Jones.

On July 5 Breitbart News reported Jones was receiving death threats and had become the object of a "Kill Kendall Jones" Facebook page because of photos she posted from African hunts. On July 9, Facebook removed all Jones hunting photos and later that day, after public outcry, also shut down the "Kill Kendall Jones" page.

Now Dickinson wants a nude photo of Jones.
According to The Washington Times, Dickinson extended the offer on July 9 by tweeting: "I have 100K to anyone who has nude photos or video of #kendalljones. She deserves to be a target."

On July 10 he tweeted again about Jones, asking: "Does she like to be spanked? We want to know."
On April 6 Breitbart News reported Dickinson's suggestion that the NRA was more obscene than Hustler magazine.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...-Kendall-Jones

edit :o:

FAKE DEMOCRAT DEMANDS NUDE PHOTO OF KENDALL JONES, MAKING THE WHOLE STORY EVEN WEIRDER

Those “Democrat” scare quotes are for a reason — Dickinson’s desire to expose and embarrass Jones, motivated by so-called disgust for her hunting, is now being used by some conservatives as a response to claims of a GOP “War on Women” — there are sleazy Democrats too, see? But, as Slate’s Dave Weigel points out, Dickinson is not a real candidate.

Now, he’s had an online presence for a while, and has been booked on Fox News under the title “Mike Dickinson (D-VA),” but he hasn’t filed the necessary candidacy forms to actually run, and he won’t appear on any ballot in November. In simple terms, it’s as if I changed my Twitter bio to “Chris Tognotti (CA-D),” and start making outlandish comments that the Democratic Party would have to answer for.

This much is obvious — Mike Dickinson is not a candidate in good faith, and his call for salacious material about Jones is seriously sleazy. Also just weird.

http://www.bustle.com/articles/31335-fake-democrat-demands-nude-photo-of-kendall-jones-making-the-whole-story-even-weirder

presence
07-12-2014, 04:37 PM

I'm reading more than the referenced article.

She killed her first white rhino when she was 13.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2014/07/10/kendall_jones_the_texas_cheerleader_and_big_game_h unter_makes_people_very.html

The first animal I ever shot was a White Rhino with a .416 Remington!
http://www.people.com/article/kendall-jones-texas-cheerleader-african-hunting-photos-controversy

Warrior_of_Freedom
07-12-2014, 06:47 PM
im not clicking on fox links sorry

Intoxiklown
07-12-2014, 08:01 PM

I agree with this. I have spent many years of my life hunting and fishing, but I have never intentionally harmed an animal for the sport of it. I was 5 years old, and my father caught me shooting birds with my BB gun for fun, and tore my ass up. Unless I am hungry and can eat it, or it's some place it should not be, I don't kill animals. Nor do I support fucked people who pay money to go to animal reserves, and shoot something with no fear of people, nor concept of it being in danger.

asurfaholic
07-12-2014, 08:16 PM
I'm reading more than the referenced article.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2014/07/10/kendall_jones_the_texas_cheerleader_and_big_game_h unter_makes_people_very.html

http://www.people.com/article/kendall-jones-texas-cheerleader-african-hunting-photos-controversy

Thanks for the clarification.

I don't really understand why people get so emotional about this. To me I get where people come from who dont like shooting animals for sport. But from a liberty standpoint, I don't think animals are afforded any rights, specifically the right to life. Animals are animals and fish are fish. If someone wishes to kill an animal for whatever reason, then as long as he is not killing somebody's property or trespassing, then there is no violation of any liberty principles.

amy31416
07-12-2014, 08:41 PM

I don't really understand why people get so emotional about this. To me I get where people come from who dont like shooting animals for sport. But from a liberty standpoint, I don't think animals are afforded any rights, specifically the right to life. Animals are animals and fish are fish. If someone wishes to kill an animal for whatever reason, then as long as he is not killing somebody's property or trespassing, then there is no violation of any liberty principles.

Because it's borderline (or actual) sociopathic behavior. Killing for fun? No thanks...you kill to protect yourself or feed yourself, not to mount a head on your wall. Animals have nerve endings, they have families, and if you have any pets--you know they have emotions. You lower yourself to the level of animals who can't empathize--like crocodiles and sharks if you just kill for the fun of it. Humans are supposed to be better than that, and too often they aren't.

It scares me a little that you don't understand that.

tod evans
07-12-2014, 08:46 PM
Sport hunting has been the upper echelons blood sport or centuries..

Common folk hunt for food, our betters hunt for sport.

XNavyNuke
07-12-2014, 08:52 PM
The solution is obviously banning sport hunting calibers and a nice regressive tax on taxidermy supplies along with professional regulation of taxidermists.

XNN

amy31416
07-12-2014, 09:02 PM
Sport hunting has been the upper echelons blood sport or centuries..

Common folk hunt for food, our betters hunt for sport.

I know you're being sarcastic, but "they" are not even close to being our "betters." They are scum.

juleswin
07-12-2014, 09:10 PM
I feel like there is a lot of judging going around in this thread. Some people just like the thrill of taking down a massive animal, other may not. It doesn't mean anyone is a psychopath. Also if you watch some of the hunting shows (they used to show one in the mornings on foxsports), you will see that these people take great effort in choosing the right animal to kill and not just that, they donate to habitat preservation and other conservation efforts.

If you shame these people to the point they stopped hunting, everybody loses.

tod evans
07-12-2014, 09:13 PM
I feel like there is a lot of judging going around in this thread. Some people just like the thrill of taking down a massive animal, other may not. It doesn't mean anyone is a psychopath. Also if you watch some of the hunting shows (they used to show one in the mornings on foxsports), you will see that these people take great effort in choosing the right animal to kill and not just that, they donate to habitat preservation and other conservation efforts.

If you shame these people to the point they stopped hunting, everybody loses.

Folks come to the Ozarks to hunt trophy whitetails every year...

I won't go in the woods when they are out, won't let my kid or dog out either.

juleswin
07-12-2014, 09:20 PM
Folks come to the Ozarks to hunt trophy whitetails every year...

I won't go in the woods when they are out, won't let my kid or dog out either.

Its understandable, people tend to fear what they do not understand. I have the same attitude towards guns, whenever I am around a gun, I fell like it will accidental fire and hit me in the eye when it reality, I have a higher chance of winning the lottery than it happening. But that doesn't stop me from being afraid.

tod evans
07-12-2014, 09:24 PM
Its understandable, people tend to fear what they do not understand. I have the same attitude towards guns, whenever I am around a gun, I fell like it will accidental fire and hit me in the eye when it reality, I have a higher chance of winning the lottery than it happening. But that doesn't stop me from being afraid.

Oh I understand 'em alright...

That's exactly why I keep me and mine out of the woods during season.

If you've never been in the woods when the city folk swarm with their fancy duds and high powered rifles hoping for a testerone fix it's quite the sight.

amy31416
07-12-2014, 09:54 PM

I do fear people who kill for a thrill, and I don't understand it--I probably never will. I don't think I want to, I like being a semi-civilized compassionate human being. I learned not to destroy things for the hell of it when I was a kid, call me judgmental if you wish, I'm okay with that.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
07-12-2014, 09:54 PM
It seems that libs are always focused on such remote problems. Instead of focusing on their own family or area, they focus on things half way around the world and others' families.

I hear the family dog gets killed by a pig every 98 minutes, but I don't see the same outrage from the lib. If you kill a dog the way these pigs do, then you have it coming. That seems more immediate and clear to me. If you deserve killing, then you deserve killing.

I don't know about kudu and food and all that in Africa, but a lot of this just seems pretentious. Hard to take some "model" seriously. Reminds me of the prick musician from Michigan who talks about the second amendment, but then goes on canned hunts. He doesn't speak for me. Fuck him. Some bimbo posing over a rhino looks like an asshole who really looks like the same mold.

CPUd
07-12-2014, 10:06 PM
http://i.imgur.com/e7PXM0V.gif

presence
07-12-2014, 10:25 PM

[]from a liberty standpoint, I don't think animals are afforded any rights, specifically the right to life.

The Buddha is a part of all living beings and is one of them himself

“the gift of knowledge helps us to avoid falling prey to excessive or incorrect attitudes. The first lies in the risk of considering ourselves masters of Creation. Creation is not a property, which we can rule over at will; or, even less, is the property of only a few: Creation is a gift, it is a wonderful gift that God has given us, so that we care for it and we use it for the benefit of all, always with great respect and gratitude”. Pope Francis

the core Hindu belief that the Divine exists in all living beings, both human and non-human, [] the whole world is one family. http://hafsite.org (http://hafsite.org/media/pr/ethicaltreatmentanimals)

The greatness of a society and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. ~Mahatma Gandhi.

The Lord said, "Who then is the faithful and wise steward, whom his lord will set over his household, to give them their portion of food at the right times? Blessed is that servant whom his lord will find doing so when he comes. Truly I tell you, that he will set him over all that he has. But if that servant says in his heart, 'My lord delays his coming,' and begins to beat the menservants and the maidservants, and to eat and drink, and to be drunken, then the lord of that servant will come in a day when he isn't expecting him, and in an hour that he doesn't know, and will cut him in two, and place his portion with the unfaithful. That servant, who knew his lord's will, and didn't prepare, nor do what he wanted, will be beaten with many stripes, but he who didn't know, and did things worthy of stripes, will be beaten with few stripes. To whomever much is given, of him will much be required; and to whom much was entrusted, of him more will be asked.

— Luke 12:35-48,

Then God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you; 30 (http://biblehub.com/genesis/1-30.htm)and to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the sky and to every thing that moves on the earth which has life -- Genesis 1:29

thoughtomator
07-12-2014, 10:28 PM
If you like to kill things for the thrill of it, you are a psychopath, and not ambiguously so.

Yieu
07-13-2014, 01:45 PM
When people became completely insulated from the meat production process.

This is the root of the problem. Hunters are a lot more honest than people who eat meat but think hunting is bad or that they love animals, which is a form of cognitive dissonance. If you can not bear to kill, clean, and cut it, you probably should not be eating it.

alucard13mm
07-13-2014, 02:00 PM
There is a threshold in which there is no return for a species of animal. When you reach a low enough number of animals, you start to get genetic bottlenecking and degradation and limited gene pool. It means the smaller a population gets after this threshold, the more likely and faster a species demise unless there is fresh population or mating with a cousin compatible species.

Pretty much forced inbreeding will kill the species off. Even if you save 2 trex dinosaurs and mated them together, they are still likely screwed after 2 or 3 generations.

Yieu
07-13-2014, 02:12 PM
There is a threshold in which there is no return for a species of animal. When you reach a low enough number of animals, you start to get genetic bottlenecking and degradation and limited gene pool. It means the smaller a population gets after this threshold, the more likely and faster a species demise unless there is fresh population or mating with a cousin compatible species.

Pretty much forced inbreeding will kill the species off. Even if you save 2 trex dinosaurs and mated them together, they are still likely screwed after 2 or 3 generations.

I am less concerned with the survival of a species than I am with not harming individual living entities.

Carson
07-13-2014, 03:27 PM
There were animals in those pictures?