PDA

View Full Version : 11 Tactics Used by the Mainstream Media to Manufacture Consent

DamianTV
07-12-2014, 02:00 AM
http://www.activistpost.com/2014/07/11-tactics-used-by-mainstream-media-to.html

Sigmund Fraud

The mainstream media is aging and collapsing under the weight of its own hubris and arrogance. Now entirely formulaic in presentation and predictable in substance, the ‘major’ outlets of news, which are monopolized under only a small handful of corporations, serve the purpose of misleading the public on important issues and manufacturing consent for government and the oligarchs.

The public is still largely numb to this reality, and in a wicked catch-22 for modern man, many people are still addicted to the very media that serves as the primary weapon of social control against them.

The tide is turning, however, and to help break the spell we bring you this comprehensive list of 11 tactics used against the public by the mainstream media to coerce consensus, divide, conquer, ridicule and stifle truthful or meaningful conversation about the state of our world.

1. Lying by Omission – What is not on the nightly news? This is the most important question to ask when consuming mainstream media. The average hour-long broadcast consists of 48 minutes or less of actual news programming, minus, of course, the chit-chatting, the expensive motion graphics and the bumpers, highlights and story recaps. With a formula like this, full of pomp and grandstanding, the impression given is that if it does not make it on the nightly news, then it is not of significance. The most obvious way in which the mainstream media manufactures consent for policy makers and advertisers is by omitting from the news reel those stories and perspectives which may compromise the broadcasters' agenda, whatever that may be.

2. Controlling the Debate – Who is arguing, and for what cause? News programs are businesses just like anything else and, as such, news executives keep a go-to list of contacts to fulfill any necessary role in a program or segment. If the government needs credibility, they roll out an ex-president and remind you that he has ‘gravitas.’ If the military-industrial complex needs a voice, then they roll out a familiar think-tanker to interject in a debate with a common-sense perspective in favor of national security. If something is too complicated for public consumption, then they open the Rolodex to the ‘experts’ page and shuffle some know-it-all in front of the camera. The media is laden with groomed pundits, so-called opinion leaders, and commentators, and each one has a definite reputation, each one resonates with a specific target audience, and each one fills a predictable role in a conversation. Program guests are very well vetted, and news is a science, a very lucrative science that excels in giving the impression of a diversity in ideas while keeping the debate sequestered in a very well-constructed box. The characters in this box make all the difference.

Full list on link

Suzanimal
07-12-2014, 04:15 AM
I quit watching the news years ago. I prefer to read it, if it's something really important I read through it a couple of times to sort out the facts from the gibberish. Good list of things to look out for Damian + rep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q2EPKKVrqI&index=10&list=PL599028BDEB04B409

tod evans
07-12-2014, 05:08 AM
"The Newz" is entertainment based in propaganda with a smattering of facts thrown in...

If one subjects themselves to such clever manipulations for too long he often finds himself actually believing some of the rhetoric and possibly even sympathizing with government.

I find it best to read as Suz suggests and even then consider the source....

donnay
07-12-2014, 06:49 AM
Ditto on reading the news rather than listening to or watching it be sensationalized. I can't stand most of the dinosaur talking heads, they make my head hurt, anyways.

mosquitobite
07-12-2014, 07:15 AM
excellent synopsis

GunnyFreedom
07-12-2014, 07:31 AM
Should be called the "Nooz" because there is nothing 'new' about any of it, and their primary job (which they are quite good at) is to keep people asleep.

DamianTV
07-12-2014, 07:42 AM
People would be suprised to find out how dehumanizing a "Segway" from one story to another is. Most people interpret the "Segway" as all the attention they need to pay to any given information, then immediately disregard its importance once the subject is changed to something else. "377 people died today in a horrific canned cheese accident, coming up: Sports and Justin Beibers hair!"

Has anyone noticed that the average persons attention span is about as long as a news story?

thoughtomator
07-12-2014, 09:42 AM
People would be suprised to find out how dehumanizing a "Segway" from one story to another is. Most people interpret the "Segway" as all the attention they need to pay to any given information, then immediately disregard its importance once the subject is changed to something else. "377 people died today in a horrific canned cheese accident, coming up: Sports and Justin Beibers hair!"

Has anyone noticed that the average persons attention span is about as long as a news story?

I think the word you want is "segue". "Segway" is a failed consumer transportation product.

Carson
07-12-2014, 10:33 AM
Are using children in the aiding and abetting of the illegal immigration conspiracy listed?

But then I'm being suckered into saying anything on their contrived scheme to suck us into their debate at the moment. They play us like a two dollar fiddle.

DamianTV
07-12-2014, 04:21 PM
I think the word you want is "segue". "Segway" is a failed consumer transportation product.

Yeah, you meant what I know, er, know what I meant...

tod evans
07-12-2014, 04:28 PM
Yeah, you meant what I know, er, know what I meant...

My aunt said "Hear what I mean not what I say."

Bastiat's The Law
07-12-2014, 04:35 PM
Should be called the "Nooz" because there is nothing 'new' about any of it, and their primary job (which they are quite good at) is to keep people asleep.

Well said and I like using the word Nooz to convey exactly what these smear merchants are.

DamianTV
07-12-2014, 05:32 PM
My aunt said "Hear what I mean not what I say."

The same statement could be applied to MSM too. "These people died, but its unimportant because of the following story." and "Be afraid of Terrorists although you are 48 times more likely to be shot by a Cop." Where is the MSM when Dogs get shot by Cops? When innocent people get shot by cops? Wouldnt that qualify as the list indicates "Lying by Omission"? Great truth your aunt said, but sometimes it is even more helpful to have all methods completely spelled out.

(Trying to get back on topic...)