PDA

View Full Version : Need help creating a stump speech

xerigen
12-01-2007, 07:24 PM
At my University, students will have an opportunity to give stump speeches for their favorite candidates at our Student Center. They have to be relatively short, and I have an idea of what I want to say, but I want to make sure I get the important points across. I don't know how many people will be there to listen, but if I convince one person to vote for Ron Paul then I would consider it to be a successful speech. My school is considered a "commuter school" and these speeches will be done between 11:30-1:30, so I'd be talking in front of a fairly large amount of people during the lunch rush. I want to ensure that everything I say makes an impact as its a short speech.

I'm generally fairly good at giving speeches, especially when I'm passionate about the subject, but any help is much appreciated! The speech will be given on either December 3rd, 5th, or 7th. Thanks!

xerigen
12-01-2007, 07:54 PM
Anybody? I would estimate that I'd be speaking to between 300-500 people. Obviously I've watched just about every Ron Paul video on the internet, but as far as making an effective speech, I need suggestions.

foofighter20x
12-01-2007, 08:07 PM
Who is going to be your audience? College kids? Professors?

xerigen
12-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Who is going to be your audience? College kids? Professors?

Mostly college kids. I would imagine there may be 2 or 3 professors, but most are teaching at that time.

foofighter20x
12-01-2007, 09:09 PM
Okay... Is this a red state or blue state university? What are the general political leanings of the student body?

Nyte
12-01-2007, 09:17 PM
Watch this vid for some inspiration:
Ron Paul Straw poll Birmingham 2 of 6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tDSoipCSHE

Go to :30 and let it roll! :D

Part 5 has two good speeches too:
Ron Paul Straw poll Birmingham 5 of 6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLRcdSOwDI0

Hope
12-01-2007, 09:25 PM
I wish I could help, but nothing's coming to mind right now. I wish our university hosted something similar. Do you know how this stump speech stuff got started?

xerigen
12-01-2007, 09:29 PM
Okay... Is this a red state or blue state university? What are the general political leanings of the student body?

Blue State.. it's Eastern Michigan University. It's hard to tell what the political leanings are, but I know there is some Ron Paul support, especially being so close to Ann Arbor (University of Michigan) where I see Ron Paul signs EVERYWHERE. I know among my friends, they are pretty divided between being liberals and conservatives, but I would estimate that half of them don't even know what that means anyways. The Eastern Michigan Student Government organized this.

foofighter20x
12-01-2007, 09:38 PM
Watch this vid for some inspiration:
Ron Paul Straw poll Birmingham 2 of 6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tDSoipCSHE

Go to :30 and let it roll! :D

Part 5 has two good speeches too:
Ron Paul Straw poll Birmingham 5 of 6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLRcdSOwDI0

That's not going to help him, dude.

First rule of public speaking is to identify and target your speech to your audience.

foofighter20x
12-01-2007, 09:43 PM
Blue State.. it's Eastern Michigan University. It's hard to tell what the political leanings are, but I know there is some Ron Paul support, especially being so close to Ann Arbor (University of Michigan) where I see Ron Paul signs EVERYWHERE. I know among my friends, they are pretty divided between being liberals and conservatives, but I would estimate that half of them don't even know what that means anyways. The Eastern Michigan Student Government organized this.

Ok, knowing that much, I'd talk about:

the war and foreign policy
the monetary benefit of changing our foreign policy
the assault on civil liberties and a return to those liberties under Paul
letting young people opt out of social security
monetary policy--and the inflation tax which results from it--and getting rid of the fed that causes it
federal decriminalization of marijuana under a Paul administration

take questions... (know Dr Paul's stances like the back of your hand though!)

xerigen
12-01-2007, 10:04 PM
Ok, knowing that much, I'd talk about:

the war and foreign policy
the monetary benefit of changing our foreign policy
the assault on civil liberties and a return to those liberties under Paul
letting young people opt out of social security
monetary policy--and the inflation tax which results from it--and getting rid of the fed that causes it
federal decriminalization of marijuana under a Paul administration

take questions... (know Dr Paul's stances like the back of your hand though!)

Thanks, that was pretty much what I had planned, but I forgot about the war on drugs. I'll make sure to speak on all of that. I feel like I know Paul's stances very well, I've probably watched a good 24 hours worth of different videos so I think I'll be fine. I won't be the first person to speak either, so I'll watch some of the audiences reactions to the other candidates and try to adjust accordingly.

foofighter20x
12-01-2007, 10:24 PM
Thanks, that was pretty much what I had planned, but I forgot about the war on drugs. I'll make sure to speak on all of that. I feel like I know Paul's stances very well, I've probably watched a good 24 hours worth of different videos so I think I'll be fine. I won't be the first person to speak either, so I'll watch some of the audiences reactions to the other candidates and try to adjust accordingly.

Well, definitely anticipate questions on healthcare and abortion.

On healthcare, the big problem is HMOs--even Michael Moore agrees with Dr Paul on this point--and government corporatism (i.e. fascism). If government got out of the way and allowed tax credits for individuals the same as it allows businesses, more people would be able to afford healthcare.

On abortion, be ready to explain federalism and why Roe v. Wade is bad law. Tell them that when you allow the Supreme Court the power to mandate abortion-on-demand be legal in every state, you surrender at the same time to those judges the power to make it uniformly illegal in every state. Overturn Roe, return the power back to the states, and let Kansas and California have their own laws, not a one-size-fits-all federal government solution that causes such a bitter divide among Americans.

robert4rp08
12-01-2007, 10:34 PM
I would try just planting a seed and not "forcing" people to listen to the issues. I would instead focus on Ron Paul himself. Give a brief bio of his life (farm, marriage, kids, doctor, military, etc. you can borrow from this (http://www.ronpaul2008.com/articles/331/the-american-dream/)); people love this stuff. Then hit them with the foundation of his political ideology; individual liberty, personal responsibility, and the role of government... the constitution. Then hit them with the fact that he's been adhering to his philosophy for over 30 years and has a 10-term voting record in congress to back it up. Tell them that he is pure, principled, honest etc. and doesn't pander to lobbyists, special interest groups, pollsters. Maybe give them a taste of his voting record, e.g., never voted to raise taxes, for an unbalanced budget, etc. For me, all of this was the hook into learning more about Ron Paul.

EDIT: ... because remember that the #1 political issue that people think about is corruption (2006 mid-term election exit poll: http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/11/07/election.exitpolls/)

Then I would end with something heartfelt and personalized. For example, as a concerned American I plea to each of you to think about the state of the country; its economy and foreign policy. Think about how intrusive the government is; in your lives and in your wallet. I ask each of you to look beneath the surface of biased news reporting and research each of the candidates using the internet (ontheissues.org, etc). I truly believe that America is in dire need of a new revolution to take back our liberty and freedoms and remind the government that we are the people. I encourage you to learn more about Ron Paul because he understands this. Thank you for your time. I would be happen to answer any questions you may have on specific issues (give email and phone if you comfortable).