PDA

View Full Version : Just realized my actual political ideology is "Constructionist"

robertwerden
07-10-2014, 12:43 PM
I spent about 8 years attempting to define my self politically. I started as a Republican, then I identified with Libertarian, then Constitutionalist. But I realized the proper term for me is Constructionist. In effect it is a Constitutionalist, but it is more accurate to me because I don't believe the Constitutionalists view of the use of the "Necessary and proper" clause is an effective means to determine what is Constitutional. It is far too easy to reference that clause in the legislation only to have to fight all the way to SCOTUS to get a ruling, and even then they get it wrong.

To me Constructionist is extremely accurate, because I feel every single law that was legislated since day one in Congress and is not in the form of a Constitutional amendment is by definition Unconstitutional. There should be no other law at the federal level other than the Constitution. If the Constitution is too vague then amend it, but don't write a law the makes an interpretation.

So thats where I stand.

acptulsa
07-10-2014, 01:28 PM
Hmmm...

Of course, if you want to prevent Congress from passing federal laws, you're going to have to amend the Constitution to do it.

VIDEODROME
07-10-2014, 01:40 PM
So what is Congress for?

acptulsa
07-10-2014, 01:46 PM
So what is Congress for?

Apparently, they're just there to spend money. It's equally apparent that most sitting members of Congress think they're constructionist too...

'The budget is a mythical beanbag. Congress votes mythical beans into it, and then tries to reach in and pull real beans out.'--Will Rogers

specsaregood
07-10-2014, 01:50 PM
The older I get the more I lean towards the "Miser" political ideology.

Ronin Truth
07-10-2014, 01:53 PM
Is there a Destructionist category option?

Austrian Econ Disciple
07-10-2014, 01:55 PM
Of course the question that is begged, why the Constitution in the first place? What makes it so redeemable, so special? What makes this usurpation of power over the individual so permissible?

robertwerden
07-10-2014, 02:03 PM
Hmmm...

Of course, if you want to prevent Congress from passing federal laws, you're going to have to amend the Constitution to do it.

yup

Pauls' Revere
07-10-2014, 02:12 PM
Solipsism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solipsism

acptulsa
07-10-2014, 02:14 PM
Is there a Destructionist category option?

No.

Deconstructing the bloated federal legal code would be the most constructive thing we could do. Therefore, it's an oxymoron.

Ronin Truth
07-10-2014, 05:49 PM
No.

Deconstructing the bloated federal legal code would be the most constructive thing we could do. Therefore, it's an oxymoron.

That was destruction not deconstruction.

otherone
07-10-2014, 06:00 PM
The older I get the more I lean towards the "Miser" political ideology.

Related, I am a Classical Misanthrope.