PDA

View Full Version : Some Further Concerns About the Ron Paul Blimp Project

rjo43084
12-01-2007, 06:53 PM
What's done is done, but think about it. Look at the massive amount, the millions, that Ron Paul has pulled in. This was all done within the constraints of campaign finance reform and the contribution limits therein. I think the blimp could've easily gotten off the ground and stayed off the ground with a PAC, given what the movement has shown to be capable of in the past couple months. Who cares about the donation limits to a PAC? We would have been able to make it work. There was no need to create an LLC in my opinion, although if someone from the blimp project can prove to me that a PAC would not have provided the funds necessary to make this work for at least the month of December, I would be very appreciative. I think their previous and initial strategy shows that they knew a PAC could work, and I think that the pledges generated from the PAC blimp idea proves that it would have worked. And I also think that posts in other threads from $5000 pledgers saying they will now not donate to the blimp shows that the PAC route was BY FAR the better way to go.

It should also be pointed out that with this LLC, YOU CAN'T ADVERTISE THAT RON PAUL IS RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT. Sure, they can put Who is Ron Paul? on the blimp, but they cannot put Ron Paul for President 2008, advertise the campaigns website, or anything else of the sort, since they are a private business. With a PAC, you are allowed by law to sponsor advertising for or against a candidate. The rules are ENTIRELY different when an private ad agency is doing the advertising.

Lastly, has anyone considered the possibility that this LLC CAN BE BOUGHT OUT? A PAC COULD NOT HAVE BEEN BOUGHT OUT BY AN OUTSIDE PARTY, BUT A LIMITED LIABILITY CORPORATION HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BE BOUGHT OUT. Although I respect Trevor Lyman, who is supposedly the president of this company, money can still have influence over people no matter who they are. Hypothetically, what happens if there is an undisclosed company or individual that approaches Liberty Political Advertising and offers them a massive sum of money for the company? If the sum is big enough, I would think the guys running this might at least consider it. If they went so far as to accept the offer, then the Ron Paul Blimp will cease to exist, and all the money people have donated can be pocketed, since there is NO REFUND POLICY UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. Again, if someone from the blimp project can prove to me that this scenario is not possible, I welcome them to explain why it is not possible without simply saying "You can trust that we won't do this to you guys".

steph3n
12-01-2007, 07:07 PM
please look at the laws guiding, if the PAC is a single candidate PAC it can be a max of 2300 and that total counts again the totals given to the official campaign as well, therefore maxed out people CAN NOT GIVE

european
12-01-2007, 07:27 PM
for those in doubt: just take the f-ing "gamble" :P
a little distrust isnt bad, but to be honest... this project has honesty written all over it! if you want that blimp in the air, just donate.

also when it appears to be the case that foreigners can buy airtime aswell, there will be a new playing field added. there are people from other countries waiting to help out financially. if this makes it legal, there will be foreigners joining in the fun :D

european
12-01-2007, 07:30 PM
and oh, i see you just recently joined... in december 2007, that is today or yesterday. the people who are here longer, they know who to trust and who not to trust. and this is done by people that are looked upon as trusted persons. :cool:
so just sit back, donate and relax and see the blimp get off the ground! :D

millerjd
12-01-2007, 07:43 PM
I, for one, welcome our blimp overlords.

rjo43084
12-01-2007, 07:44 PM
please look at the laws guiding, if the PAC is a single candidate PAC it can be a max of 2300 and that total counts again the totals given to the official campaign as well, therefore maxed out people CAN NOT GIVE

Good point, although I still think the PAC would have been fine. I know there are quite a few big donors, but I think the overwhelming majority of people who donate to the campaign donate on the small side. Not everyone has the money at hand, myself included, to be able to max out their campaign contributions anyway, let alone have MORE money to go BEYOND that $2300 limit and justify the establishment of an LLC. I think the fact that the average donation on Nov. 5th was in the 30-40 dollar range, as I recall, shows the average Ron Paul supporter does not have this kind of money either.

It is the SHEER NUMBER of supporters he has that would have made a PAC work. Despite the 2300 limit, I think there are still TONS of supporters out there who haven't yet met this limit, and would have been able to contribute to the blimp. I mean the most pledges on the original blimp website were for $25, not much, but considering the number of donations given it adds up to a lot.

seapilot
12-01-2007, 07:51 PM
I would think that as an LLC other countries citizens could donate. that will be a big advantage over a PAC. I am still confused why U.S. citizens would have to fill out a FEC form if it is an LLC. Are they just doing that for extra protection? The blimp is a great PR idea by the way.

BeFranklin
12-01-2007, 07:53 PM
I, for one, welcome our blimp overlords.

Umm, welcome user post #1. I'm telling you, we're getting new users from the blimp! :D

steph3n
12-01-2007, 07:54 PM
Good point, although I still think the PAC would have been fine. I know there are quite a few big donors, but I think the overwhelming majority of people who donate to the campaign donate on the small side. Not everyone has the money at hand, myself included, to be able to max out their campaign contributions anyway, let alone have MORE money to go BEYOND that $2300 limit and justify the establishment of an LLC. I think the fact that the average donation on Nov. 5th was in the 30-40 dollar range, as I recall, shows the average Ron Paul supporter does not have this kind of money either.

It is the SHEER NUMBER of supporters he has that would have made a PAC work. Despite the 2300 limit, I think there are still TONS of supporters out there who haven't yet met this limit, and would have been able to contribute to the blimp. I mean the most pledges on the original blimp website were for $25, not much, but considering the number of donations given it adds up to a lot.

I am maxed out on dec 16th to the campaign that would mean with a single candidate PAC i CAN NOT give to the blimp.

francisco
12-01-2007, 08:06 PM
All the discussion about whether a PAC would have been better is counterproductive. Given the tenure of the naysayers, I'm not necessarily surprised.

The structure is what it is and isn't going to change. People with proven track records, notably Lyman, acting in good faith, chose this LLC as the the most workable alternative available in the limited time.

If you don't approve, don't buy any time and move on to a different project of your own. The adults posting on this board are capable of making their own decisions without repetitive negativity from the peanut gallery.

rjo43084
12-01-2007, 08:06 PM
I am maxed out on dec 16th to the campaign that would mean with a single candidate PAC i CAN NOT give to the blimp.

Ok....and that's great that you're being so generous, but you're one person who has the money to be maxed out already. I was just saying ON AVERAGE people seem to donate in smaller amounts, and therefore the $2300 limit would still allow them to donate to the blimp and the campaign itself, since most people haven't reached that threshhold and probably won't reach it anytime soon. I could be wrong, but given the state of the economy right now, I don't know of too many people who have $2300+ to throw around on a political candidate.

To be perfectly honest, this is just really stupid to debate anymore. The blimp project is an LLC now, not a PAC, and although I'm not happy about it, that's the way it is and complaining about it isn't going to change anything. I'm not going to donate due to my reservations, but if anybody else feels comfortable enough with the people in charge of this company, then I see no problem with going ahead and donating to their project

steph3n
12-01-2007, 08:08 PM
Ok....and that's great that you're being so generous, but you're one person who has the money to be maxed out already. I was just saying ON AVERAGE people seem to donate in smaller amounts, and therefore the $2300 limit would still allow them to donate to the blimp and the campaign itself, since most people haven't reached that threshhold and probably won't reach it anytime soon. I could be wrong, but given the state of the economy right now, I don't know of too many people who have $2300+ to throw around on a political candidate.

To be perfectly honest, this is just really stupid to debate anymore. The blimp project is an LLC now, not a PAC, and although I'm not happy about it, that's the way it is and complaining about it isn't going to change anything. I'm not going to donate due to my reservations, but if anybody else feels comfortable enough with the people in charge of this company, then I see no problem with going ahead and donating to their project

See the fact here is, people shouldn't be giving to the blimp UNLESS they are maxed out.

rjo43084
12-01-2007, 08:13 PM
See the fact here is, people shouldn't be giving to the blimp UNLESS they are maxed out.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"
-The Dude, The Big Lebowski (1998)

steph3n
12-01-2007, 08:15 PM
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"
-The Dude, The Big Lebowski (1998)

no, it is not an opinion, since i will have maxed out official i could not give to a single candidate PAC.

It is not productive to do it in that manner, this is a novel new way and I am liking it more and more.

rjo43084
12-01-2007, 08:22 PM
Sorry just trying to be funny, thought you might have seen the movie. Alright I'm out for the night...

steph3n
12-01-2007, 08:23 PM
Sorry just trying to be funny, thought you might have seen the movie. Alright I'm out for the night...

oh, no I haven't seen it :D