PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News: Ron Paul Wins Virginia Straw Poll

DanielDeibler
12-01-2007, 06:30 PM
This just in:
Ron Paul has won the Virginia Huffman Advance Straw Poll with 38% of the vote. Fred Thompson reportedly came in second with 18%. More information wil be posted as it becomes available.

brumans
12-01-2007, 06:33 PM
sweet :)

how many voters?

AlexMerced
12-01-2007, 06:34 PM
I billion

FreedomLover
12-01-2007, 06:35 PM
how many people were there?

AlexMerced
12-01-2007, 06:37 PM
1 trillion

edmnn
12-01-2007, 07:07 PM
bump

tikwanleap
12-01-2007, 07:09 PM
http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news/vaapwire.apx.-content-articles-AP-2007-12-01-0065.html

Ron Paul wins Virginia GOP straw poll

Saturday, Dec 01, 2007 - 07:47 PM

Arlington, VA - Ron Paul won an informal straw poll of Virginia Republicans Saturday at the state party's annual weekend retreat.

The Texas congressman got 182 of the 479 ballots cast, or 38 percent. Former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson finished second with 112 votes, with former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee third with 51.

Dozens of noisy Paul followers packed the late afternoon speeches by proxies for the candidates in a suburban Washington, D.C., hotel and the voting afterward.

"They weren't here yesterday," said state GOP chairman John Hager. About 700 Republican activists registered for the Friday and Saturday event. "We had no indication until around 3 o'clock that this would happen."

Mitt Romney got 43 votes, Sen. John McCain got 23, California congressman Duncan Hunter got 19 and Colorado congressman Tom Tancredo finished with four votes.

AlexMerced
12-01-2007, 07:11 PM
No mention of Giuliani, apparently all the third tier from back in may have co-opted the race for the white house, love it

sunghoko
12-01-2007, 07:11 PM
good work!

Fyretrohl
12-01-2007, 07:19 PM
The Ron Paul Revolution...Success via Stealth.

AlexMerced
12-01-2007, 07:20 PM
The Ron Paul Ninjalution

Paulitician
12-01-2007, 07:38 PM
Dozens of noisy Paul followers
:D

Triton
12-01-2007, 07:39 PM
This just in:
Ron Paul has won the Virginia Huffman Advance Straw Poll with 38% of the vote. Fred Thompson reportedly came in second with 18%. More information wil be posted as it becomes available.Did they ID each voter and verify residency? No? Then it holds about as much weight as the Maryland straw poll.

CurtisLow
12-01-2007, 07:45 PM
Did Mitt run out of money? lol

he Texas congressman got 182 of the 479 ballots cast,

Woot!

dante
12-01-2007, 07:46 PM
My parents were there and voted for him. Said a lot of the local Rep. party campaign reps were overheard complaining that all these RP supporters are one time republicans and won't come around to vote for the local candidates unless RP wins the nomination.
My mother turned to one of them to whom she gave money last time around and was like "excuse me I'm here to vote for Ron Paul and I gave money to your candidate last time around. We are mainstream!"

Ha the local officials didn't know how to respond to that!

AlexMerced
12-01-2007, 07:46 PM
Yes, it went to taxes to continue the war, za zinnnggg

DanielDeibler
12-01-2007, 07:49 PM
I just talked to a couple of the people who went, and apparently they've been shmoozing the state GOP like nobody's business. Thanks to the Tidewater VA Ron Paul 2008 Meetup Group for driving up there and everyone else who attended! It sounds like you've really turned the VA GOP around tonight!

justinc.1089
12-01-2007, 07:52 PM
1 trillion

1 OCTILLION!

;):p:D

SlapItHigh
12-01-2007, 10:31 PM
Did they ID each voter and verify residency? No? Then it holds about as much weight as the Maryland straw poll.

Yes they did ID each voter and checked the residency on the ID but no further verification of address beyond that. So does that mean it holds more weight as the Maryland straw poll?

SlapItHigh
12-01-2007, 10:33 PM
My parents were there and voted for him. Said a lot of the local Rep. party campaign reps were overheard complaining that all these RP supporters are one time republicans and won't come around to vote for the local candidates unless RP wins the nomination.
My mother turned to one of them to whom she gave money last time around and was like "excuse me I'm here to vote for Ron Paul and I gave money to your candidate last time around. We are mainstream!"

Ha the local officials didn't know how to respond to that!

This is true. Two older women were complaining about us in the bathroom without realizing two RP supporters were in the stalls (myself included). One of the women said that she thinks we were paid to come vote for him. Thankfully the other RP supporter had the quick sense to shout out "Nobody paid me to vote!!" They are starting to realize that this is real. They are going to have to beat us or join us. I don't think they will be able to beat us, so....

Lord Xar
12-01-2007, 10:34 PM
I am confused. Why is "this" straw poll any different than the other ones Ron Paul has won?

cmc
12-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Did they ID each voter and verify residency? No? Then it holds about as much weight as the Maryland straw poll.
They checked. VA voters only.

Great event, by the way. RP everywhere.

Except, some hecklers were yelling and mumbling during the speech and made us look back in some cases... seriously people, shut up. I'm tired of apologizing for you. If we want respect we have to show that we deserve it.

Anyway, yes, Chris gave an exciting speech.

BrianH
12-01-2007, 10:39 PM
I am confused. Why is "this" straw poll any different than the other ones Ron Paul has won?

I think it's because of Nov 5th. Now the MSM are starting to pay attention!

I got plugs in for Ron Paul near the top of five stories tonite, the Wash Post on this straw poll was great!
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-t...ginia_str.html
http://www.gazetteonline.com/apps/pb.../-1/iowacaucus
http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pb.../71130040/1056
http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pb...EWS09/71130037
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/app...ION01/71201010

VRP08
12-01-2007, 10:40 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_17_8.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxdm824MSUS)

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb112&pp=ZNxdm824MSUS (http://smiley.smileycentral.com/download/index.jhtml?partner=ZSzeb112_ZNxdm824MSUS&utm_id=7920)

MozoVote
12-01-2007, 10:53 PM
Here is the washington post

htt p://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2007/12/01/paul_handily_wins_virginia_str.html

MozoVote
12-01-2007, 11:01 PM
Going back, I have found this thread quite intersting. It really sounds like the GOP bluehairs cannot comprehend what is going on. Man, the party has sunk a looooong way from Reagan's days.

AlexMerced
12-01-2007, 11:10 PM

cause it's a big F U to buy a poll romney, with the amount of turnout a good indicator for support in VA

inibo
12-01-2007, 11:12 PM

Ouch.

We enjoyed it.

inibo
12-01-2007, 11:14 PM
Yes they did ID each voter and checked the residency on the ID but no further verification of address beyond that. So does that mean it holds more weight as the Maryland straw poll?

Ouch, again.

We enjoyed it.

inibo
12-01-2007, 11:17 PM
They checked. VA voters only.

Great event, by the way. RP everywhere.

Except, some hecklers were yelling and mumbling during the speech and made us look back in some cases... seriously people, shut up. I'm tired of apologizing for you. If we want respect we have to show that we deserve it.

Anyway, yes, Chris gave an exciting speech.

Yes, we just have to pretend a little while longer, then we can whoop, holler and dance half naked around the bonfire.

SlapItHigh
12-01-2007, 11:17 PM
Ouch, again.

We enjoyed it.

No ouchies from me ;), my comment was sarcastic because of the attitude of the pp.

Mental Dribble
12-01-2007, 11:21 PM

Yes they did, you had to show a VA drivers liscense or ID card. They wanted something that shwoed your address and name on it, I had left mine in the car and had to go get it. Even though I had my military ID I have to prove my residnce. So stop talking out of your a%#..... if you dont know something ask. You know what they say about assumptions.

peruvianRP
12-01-2007, 11:53 PM
awesome

muabhcirk
12-02-2007, 07:06 AM
I've never been to a straw poll before, but I'm telling you...the Ron Paul support was awesome to see. Through the course of the evening, I picked up on a tone of "some Republicans aren't towing the party line, and they need to do that or get out". It actually feels good in a twisted kind of way that the old guard is getting their feathers ruffled. They talked about unity in the party. Well, if they want to beat the so-called 'Clinton machine', they better wake up to the fact that Dr. Paul is the only one that can do it and unify behind him.

murph
12-02-2007, 07:59 AM
The straw poll was awesome and everything about the voting seemed to be about as professional as it gets for an informal poll like that. The results were consistent with the crowd's reactions to the various candidate speeches.

The article about it in today's Richmond Times-Dispatch is down below. The author sat next to me at the bar during the break before the speeches and polling and I gave him the benefit of my thoughts on Ron Paul and the grassroots. He also spoke to the guy on the other side of him who was another Paul supporter. Even though he wasn't taking notes - he was there just to eat a sandwich - I would have thought that at least he could have figured out that RP's supporters were there because they wanted to be there ... not because they were "bused in" as he stated in the article. I never saw a bus at the hotel before or after the event, and neither did he.

The Virginia GOP is clueless. They saw hordes of people in the ballroom all jacked up over one of their candidates and they dismissed us as being a tool of the campaign. We overheard a lot of comments like "this was a sham" and "RP isn't really a Republican". I guess they are just satisfied to let their freedoms slip away while they toe the party line ...

It was another great day in support of our man.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/search.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2007-12-02-0258.html

Sunday, Dec 02, 2007 - 12:08 AM Updated: 12:47 AM

By TYLER WHITLEY
TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER
ARLINGTON -- Texas Rep. Ron Paul easily won a presidential poll at a Republican Party of Virginia conference here yesterday.

Paul polled 182 out of about 500 votes cast. Former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson finished second with 112 votes, and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee finished third with 51 votes.

The straw poll was held at the 24th annual Republican Advance, generally attended by activists and grass-roots workers, at the Hyatt Regency Crystal City Hotel in the Washington suburbs.

Republican officials dismissed the poll's outcome, noting that Paul has been concentrating on winning straw polls all over the country.

Paul bused in young supporters. They waved signs and shouted loudly when his name was mentioned.

"He brought people in here. What is more critical to look at is who finished second and third. That is a more true indicator of the feelings of the Republican Party of Virginia," said Tucker Watkins of Randolph in Charlotte County, a former 5th District GOP chairman.

Virginia Republicans and Democrats will each hold presidential primaries on Feb. 12. Because several other states have earlier votes, many observers think the nominees of the two parties will be decided by the time Virginians choose.

The major candidates, occupied in Iowa or New Hampshire where the earliest nominating contests will be held, sent surrogates yesterday.

The meeting brought good news for former Gov. Jim Gilmore, who is seeking the party's nomination to run for the U.S. Senate. A prospective opponent, Del. Christopher B. Saxman of Staunton, said he would not seek the nomination. He said he would not be able to raise money while the General Assembly is in session this winter and so would not be able to mount a credible candidacy.

Del. Robert G. Marshall of Prince William has hinted that he might run, but he did not show up and had a friend read a statement prepared by him which indicated he likely would not run.

Gilmore in a brief speech to the Republicans, urged against defeatism and said he could beat former Gov. Mark R. Warner, a Democratic candidate for the seat now held by Republican Sen. John W. Warner, who is retiring.

"We've won two statewide contests [attorney general and governor], we've carried Northern Virginia twice," Gilmore said.

MozoVote
12-02-2007, 08:29 AM
Every time these estabishment hacks do this, it just motivates us further.

SlapItHigh
12-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Republican officials dismissed the poll's outcome, noting that Paul has been concentrating on winning straw polls all over the country.

Paul bused in young supporters. They waved signs and shouted loudly when his name was mentioned.

"He brought people in here...

They really don't get that this is bottom up, not top down. Guess anything other than top down is hard for them to understand.