PDA

View Full Version : Fuel not taxed enough for DC

tod evans
07-07-2014, 11:45 AM
From Drudge;

More Fuel Efficient Cars Causing Highway Trust Fund to Go Broke

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/more-fuel-efficient-cars-causing-highway-trust-fund-go-broke_796132.html

Washington needs more money and if it doesn’t get it, your morning commute will become:

a) more expensive

b) more unpleasant

c) both

The problem, you see, is that the Highway Trust Fund is "going broke,” by the Beltway’s curious definition of the phrase. It is sort of the way that after a round of painful “cuts,” spending somehow still goes up.

The Highway Trust Fund takes in more than 18 cents on every gallon of gasoline sold in this country, so there is plenty of revenue. Just not enough to meet Washington’s needs and desires. People are driving more fuel efficient cars and with gas already around $4 a gallon, not taking the trips they might otherwise take. So instead of having the $50 billion that Congress budgeted, the trust fund is looking at $34 billion.

So cuts are coming, possibly as soon as August, and, as Keith Laing of The Hill reports:

Those cuts could leave drivers facing congested or damaged roads, sparking anger ahead of November's midterms.

Sort of like closing down the monuments during one of those government shutdowns. The idea being to inflict immediate pain.

The president has gotten involved, talking about the jobs that are at stake and saying:

“We’re not going to be able to fund the Highway Trust Fund and to ramp up our investment in infrastructure without acts of Congress.”

Anti Federalist
07-07-2014, 11:59 AM
Big Brother tracking boxes and "tax by mile" schemes in 3...2...1...

aGameOfThrones
07-07-2014, 12:24 PM

And it will be progressive:

5k=15%
10k=19%
15k=22%
20k=30%

oyarde
07-07-2014, 11:34 PM
It will never be taxed enough for them.

mrsat_98
07-08-2014, 12:17 AM
Title 4 › Chapter 4 › § 104
4 U.S. Code

Current through Pub. L. 113-121. (See Public Laws for the current Congress.)
US Code
Notes
Updates
prev | next

Current through Pub. L. 113-56. (See Public Laws for the current Congress.)

(a) All taxes levied by any State, Territory, or the District of Columbia upon, with respect to, or measured by, sales, purchases, storage, or use of gasoline or other motor vehicle fuels may be levied, in the same manner and to the same extent, with respect to such fuels when sold by or through post exchanges, ship stores, ship service stores, commissaries, filling stations, licensed traders, and other similar agencies, located on United States military or other reservations, when such fuels are not for the exclusive use of the United States. Such taxes, so levied, shall be paid to the proper taxing authorities of the State, Territory, or the District of Columbia, within whose borders the reservation affected may be located.
(b) The officer in charge of such reservation shall, on or before the fifteenth day of each month, submit a written statement to the proper taxing authorities of the State, Territory, or the District of Columbia within whose borders the reservation is located, showing the amount of such motor fuel with respect to which taxes are payable under subsection (a) for the preceding month.
(c) As used in this section, the term “Territory” shall include Guam.

Sure wish I had time to snag the congressional record on this puppy, it was entertaining last time I read it. In a nutshell the NAZI bastards nationalized motor fuels.

Uriel999
07-08-2014, 05:33 AM
how about you take a few billion from the DOD.

specsaregood
07-08-2014, 05:51 AM
how about you take a few billion from the DOD.

Or you know pass Randal's proposal: instead of scaring away overseas profits from returning to the US with a high tax rate; rather allow overseas profits to come back to the US at a reduced 5% tax rate and put that money into an infrastructure fund.

Uriel999
07-08-2014, 05:54 AM
that's fine too, but seriously, cut the DOD too.

DamianTV
07-08-2014, 07:41 AM
Oooh oooh, take all the NSA funding, and hell, SPY Funding in general and put that towards the roads? Maybe cut the pensions of Congress? Im half suprised they didnt raise taxes on power since some cars are purely "electric", and they need to "recover their losses".

Keith and stuff
07-08-2014, 07:46 AM
It is great that Democrats have found a Republican Senator to help sponsor a massive gas tax increase. God Bless Senator Bob Corker. He is a Saint!

Cleaner44
07-08-2014, 08:26 AM
It is great that Democrats have found a Republican Senator to help sponsor a massive gas tax increase. God Bless Senator Bob Corker. He is a Saint!

Corker could help the Highway Trust Fund by stopping foreign aid to Palestine, but noooooooo:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?455309-Corker-blocks-Paul%92s-bill-to-end-aid-to-Palestinian-Authority

Intoxiklown
07-08-2014, 08:38 AM

My wife, who is very liberty minded but also in a "lay low, accumulate, prepare mode", made it very clear to me when seeing this article, and your prediction.

"The day those fuckers show up to install, or demand we go somewhere to install a box, or check our mileage, is the day we either become national heros, or condemned terrorists."

LOL...have I said how much I love my wife?