PDA

View Full Version : Town Bans Christians From Using Publicly Funded Facilities

Origanalist
07-07-2014, 03:33 AM
Granted it's Canada but it's right on the border. It won't take long before this inspires somebody in this country to try the same thing.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/straighttalk/archives/2014/06/20140624-071845.html

On May 5, city politicians in Nanaimo, BC, voted 8 to 1 to ban a conference that was scheduled for their city's convention centre just four days later. City councillors condemned one of the event 's sponsors as "hateful," mentioned it in the same breath as the Nigerian terrorist group Boko Haram, and said the decision to ban the event from public property was no different than if they had voted to ban an organized crime ring, too.

Sounds awful. Who was coming to town - the Hells Angels? The conference itself was based in Atlanta, Georgia, but plenty of people in Nanaimo were paying $60 to watch a pay-per-view simulcast of it in Nanaimo. Who were these undesireable people?

Actually, Nanaimo councillors didn't know very much about the conference themselves, calling it by different names throughout their meeting. They weren't quite sure who was speaking at it either, or what they were speaking about, and they had to be corrected by city staff. And they didn't invite any conference organizers to answer their allegations - or even give them any notice before ripping up the business contract signed with them by the convention centre.

But what the councillors lacked in knowledge, they made up for in vitriol. You can see for yourself. Nanaimo is a small city of just 80,000 people, but the politicians there think highly enough of themselves and their deep thoughts that they actually televise their council meetings. Their 20-minute tirade against the conference can be viewed online, at www.nanaimo.ca.

Fred Pattje, the councillor who introduced the motion, said that one of the many sponsors of the conference was an American fast-food restaurant named Chick-fil-A. Several years ago, the founder of Chick-fil-A had said he opposed changing US law to permit same-sex marriage. Until a year ago, that was Barack Obama's opinion, too. But to Pattje and fellow councillors, the fact that an executive affiliated with a fast food company was one of a dozen sponsors of a world-wide leadership event, being simulcast from the city's convention centre, was intolerable. Even if some of the councillors couldn't quite pronounce the name Chick-fil-A either.

The problem, as councillor Jim Kipp said so succinctly, was that Chick-fil-A has funded "a very strong unbelievable Christian belief" of being against same sex marriage, before referring to terrorists.

It was shocking bigotry. Councillors took turns defaming the convention, Chick-fil-A, one of its speakers, its organizers and those in it - all without the burden of facts. They falsely accused one conference speaker of being anti-gay - even though city staff reminded councillors that the conference wasn't about homosexuality at all. It was about leadership in business. One councillor - Bill McKay, the lone voice against the ban - pointed out that former First Lady Laura Bush would be speaking, and Nobel Prize laureate and former anti-Apartheid crusader Desmond Tutu also.

In the end, the motion passed over McKay's sole objection. The motion instructed the convention centre that "any events that are associated with organizations or people that promote or have a history of divisiveness, homophobia, or other expressions of hate not be permitted and as such, advise the VICC not to permit in a City owned facility, the upcoming Leadercast event."

One councillor, Bill Bestwick, actually suggested that city hall turn off the power and blackout the simulcast when a particularly objectionable speaker was scheduled to speak. Bestwick was very excited about his role as self-appointed censor.

Banning divisive people, and expressions of hate, eh? Sounds like the council was describing itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUaODful6vY

tod evans
07-07-2014, 05:05 AM
When business leaders worry about who is sucking whose dick instead of their profit margin there's something seriously wrong...

Society as a whole needs to butt out of private lives.

jmdrake
07-07-2014, 05:32 AM
When business leaders worry about who is sucking whose dick instead of their profit margin there's something seriously wrong...

Ummmm....okay. :rolleyes: When government officials worry about who's worried about who's sucking dick there's something seriously wrong. I'm shocked at how un libertarian some in this movement are once their pet issue is at stake. Many gay people aren't as concerned about Chick Fil-A as you seem to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq3TzpY4-Cs

Plus it wasn't even a Chick-Fil-A event. They were just a sponsor.

Suzanimal
07-07-2014, 05:36 AM
Leadercast (http://leadercast.com/)

So he had a few phone calls from members of LGBT community and decided this was a hate group based on the fact that someone from Chick-fil-a was speaking and they're a sponsor.:rolleyes: I got news for them, if there's an event in Atlanta and it's family oriented....Chick-fil-a's a sponsor. So I guess the Chick-fil-a/Peach Bowl is
is a hate event too...http://www.cfapb.com/.

What idiots, I worked for Chick-fil-a as a teen (it was a great job, I loved working there) and I met Truett Cathy several times (he used to come by and give us pep talks:)), he was always a super nice, happy, upbeat guy - not a hater.

Here's a very small sample of the giving Chick-fil-a does...
http://www.chick-fil-a.com/Company/Responsibility-Giving/News

Trust me that's just the tip of the iceberg, whenever you need anything for a charity or family event, go to Chick-fil-a and they'll give you something. When I used to help organize the Easter Egg hunt at our church, Chick-fil-a donated hundreds of coupons for free ice cream to fill the Easter eggs, they also provide breakfast for the Men's Club Charity golf tournament at our Parish and at least a couple of nights a week a portion of their sales go to some local charity. Oh and not only organizations, people in need too...

Paulding Chick-fil-As raise $13K for Tripp Halstead's family

PAULDING COUNTY, Ga. -- Two Chick-fil-A restaurants in Paulding County celebrated Tripp Halstead Day by raising money to pay for the toddler's medical treatment.

The Chick-fil-As in Dallas and Hiram raised more than $13,000 for Tripp's family Monday evening.

Tripp Halstead is the Winder 2 year old who was critically injured after being hit by a falling tree limb in October. He was hospitalized again Monday after being discharged Friday evening.
http://www.11alive.com/story/news/local/2014/03/04/1929936/

I didn't listen to the whole video but I think it's pretty obvious who the hate group is and it's not Chick-fil-a.

Oh and the backlash didn't just happen in Canada...

After the publication of Cathy's interviews, Thomas Menino, the Mayor of Boston, stated that he would not allow the company to open franchises in the city "unless they open up their policies.”[32] Menino subsequently wrote a letter to Dan Cathy, citing Cathy's earlier statement on The Ken Coleman Show and responded: "We are indeed full of pride for our support of same sex marriage and our work to expand freedom for all people."[33] In Chicago, alderman Proco "Joe" Moreno announced his determination to block Chick-fil-A's bid to build a second store in the city: "They'd have to do a complete 180", Moreno said in outlining conditions under which he would retract the block. "They'd have to work with LGBT groups in terms of hiring, and there would have to be a public apology from [Cathy]."[34]

Moreno received backing from Chicago's Mayor, Rahm Emanuel: "Chick-fil-A values are not Chicago values", Emanuel said in a statement. "They disrespect our fellow neighbors and residents. This would be a bad investment, since it would be empty."[34] San Francisco soon followed suit on July 26 when mayor Edwin M. Lee tweeted, "Very disappointed #ChickFilA doesn't share San Francisco's values & strong commitment to equality for everyone." Lee followed that tweet with "Closest #ChickFilA to San Francisco is 40 miles away & I strongly recommend that they not try to come any closer."[35]

The proposed bans in Boston and Chicago drew criticism from liberal pundits, legal experts and the American Civil Liberties Union. Kevin Drum of Mother Jones magazine said "[T]here's really no excuse for Emanuel's and Menino's actions... you don't hand out business licenses based on whether you agree with the political views of the executives. Not in America, anyway."[36] UCLA law professor and blogger Eugene Volokh observed, "[D]enying a private business permits because of such speech by its owner is a blatant First Amendment violation."[37] Echoing those views were Glenn Greenwald of Salon, professor John Turley of George Washington University, Adam Schwartz, a senior attorney with the ACLU and Michael C. Dorf, the Robert S. Stevens Professor of Law at Cornell University Law School.[38][39]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick-fil-A_same-sex_marriage_controversy#Dan_Cathy_statements

tod evans
07-07-2014, 05:56 AM
Ummmm....okay. :rolleyes: When government officials worry about who's worried about who's sucking dick there's something seriously wrong. I'm shocked at how un libertarian some in this movement are once their pet issue is at stake. Many gay people aren't as concerned about Chick Fil-A as you seem to be.
Plus it wasn't even a Chick-Fil-A event. They were just a sponsor.

This isn't a pet issue for me, I don't really care...

Further I don't self identify as a libertarian either...

What I take issue with is folks or businesses that try to dictate how others behave in their private life.

Doesn't matter too me if they're picking on *****, stoners or racists.....Christians or mooslums........

Leave 'em alone until they infringe on your life is what I abide by...

otherone
07-07-2014, 06:16 AM
Krazocracy: rule by those who bitch the loudest.

krázō – an onomatopoetic term for a raven's piercing cry ("caw"); (figuratively) cry out loudly with an urgent scream or shriek, using "inarticulate shouts that express deep emotion"

Todd
07-07-2014, 07:10 AM
Don't you just love that Progressive thinking eking it's way more and more into Religious beliefs.

jmdrake
07-07-2014, 07:21 AM

What I take issue with is folks or businesses that try to dictate how others behave in their private life.

Doesn't matter too me if they're picking on *****, stoners or racists.....Christians or mooslums........

You cared enough to comment. And how has Chick-Fil-A infringed on your life? And it's funny that you are "concerned about people picking on Christians" when this whole thread is about people picking on Christians. The event wasn't a Chick-Fil-A event. And Chick-Fil-A isn't going around "picking on people" either. The president, in an interview, took a stand on gay marriage that Barack Obama publicly took until a few years ago. And the owner later apologized for his statements. Really, get over it already.

aGameOfThrones
07-07-2014, 07:24 AM
Those in that city council need to "Climb back into their mother's vagina and cook a little longer."

donnay
07-07-2014, 07:36 AM
North American Union. It will eventually be at our doorstep. :(

Christian Liberty
07-07-2014, 08:16 AM

I'm not sure if Chick Fila has done that. I don't think opposing government recognition of homosexual marriage means supporting government involvement in your life. Now, its likely that Chick Fila supports government recognition of heterosexual marriages, and if they do I think that's a mistake. But still, they don't work for the government, and thus not trying to rule your life. I think its completely OK for a business owner to have political opinions (Now, if he has anti-freedom ones, I don't like that, but the same would be true for anyone else;))

The one thing I find odd about this whole gay issue (not directed at you, tod) is how many people give Obama a pass. Obama believed the exact same thing as so many of the so-called "bigots" (people who don't agree with homosexual marriage), or at least he claimed to. Why weren't the homosexual lobbyists calling him an anti-gay bigot? And yet I've heard all kinds of people call Ron an anti-gay bigot even though he doesn't want ANY government involvement in the issue. Who's the bad guy here? Its ridiculous and absurd.

tod evans
07-07-2014, 10:50 AM
You cared enough to comment. And how has Chick-Fil-A infringed on your life? And it's funny that you are "concerned about people picking on Christians" when this whole thread is about people picking on Christians. The event wasn't a Chick-Fil-A event. And Chick-Fil-A isn't going around "picking on people" either. The president, in an interview, took a stand on gay marriage that Barack Obama publicly took until a few years ago. And the owner later apologized for his statements. Really, get over it already.

Yes Jim I did care enough to comment, and I also care enough to elaborate.....

It's the "business leaders" who were running the show there, the ones who called off the meeting, who I was chastising not the dude from Chic-Fil-A...

I have nothing to "get over"...........:confused:

PaulConventionWV
07-07-2014, 01:00 PM
Don't you just love that Progressive thinking eking it's way more and more into Religious beliefs.

How is it "eking its way into Religious beliefs"?

PaulConventionWV
07-07-2014, 01:01 PM

I read all of tod evans' posts, and I must say I'm rather confused on why you were offended by them. What was so un-libertarian about them, anyway?

Ender
07-07-2014, 01:08 PM

Exactly- so the Chick-fil-a owner should be able to say what he wants and people can decide to buy or not buy.

tod evans
07-07-2014, 01:10 PM
Exactly- so the Chick-fil-a owner should be able to say what he wants and people can decide to buy or not buy.

Absolutely!

So should any **** business owners...

Ender
07-07-2014, 01:48 PM
Absolutely!

So should any **** business owners...

Agreed.

Todd
07-07-2014, 01:55 PM
How is it "eking its way into Religious beliefs"?

Um.....see OP.

When people start telling you your religious beliefs are "hate" and "terrorism", and then they start to ban you in the public forum.....well there's your slippery slope.

Philhelm
07-07-2014, 02:33 PM

There should only be but one law throughout the Kingdoms of Man: A Chick-fil-A #1 Original Chicken Sandwich must be eaten at least once per day, excluding Sundays of course, on pain of death. As the chicken is marinated in holy water, only those of demonic heritage refuse to eat the Food of the Gods.

Todd
07-08-2014, 05:01 AM
There should only be but one law throughout the Kingdoms of Man: A Chick-fil-A #1 Original Chicken Sandwich must be eaten at least once per day, excluding Sundays of course, on pain of death. As the chicken is marinated in holy water, only those of demonic heritage refuse to eat the Food of the Gods.

Where did you find the secret ingredients? I cannot find anything on the internets.

Voluntarist
07-08-2014, 05:53 AM
xxxxx

Carlybee
07-08-2014, 06:37 AM
My husband is from that city. You can imagine my conversations with my in-laws. Yes, I'll accept your sympathy.

otherone
07-08-2014, 06:45 AM
-A city populations converts politicians to "public officials" by means of an election.
-Public officials seized assets from individuals in community in the form of tax receipts.
-Public officials used those seized assets to build a city convention centre which they then control.

sounds familiar:
http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327872845l/7613.jpg

Deborah K
07-08-2014, 07:00 AM
If the city gubermint chooses not to let Christians use "publicly funded facilities", then Christians should stop funding "publicly funded facilities".

otherone
07-08-2014, 07:06 AM
If the city gubermint chooses not to let Christians individuals use "publicly funded facilities", then Christians individuals should stop funding "publicly funded facilities".

A government that forbids free association is an enemy to everyone.

Origanalist
07-08-2014, 07:06 AM
If the city gubermint chooses not to let Christians use "publicly funded facilities", then Christians should stop funding "publicly funded facilities".

A revolt over religious freedom and taxation without representation?

Deborah K
07-08-2014, 07:21 AM
A revolt over religious freedom and taxation without representation?

Yeah..that..

JK/SEA
07-08-2014, 09:02 AM
this is in Canada eh?....

i think we need to invade.

tod evans
07-08-2014, 10:04 AM
this is in Canada eh?....

i think we need to invade.

Seems to be a trend lately.........Invade the country north of you....

Maybe we could send the intercity homeless to Canada, after all they have free medical too...

Deborah K
07-08-2014, 03:16 PM
Seems to be a trend lately.........Invade the country north of you....

Maybe we could send the intercity homeless to Canada, after all they have free medical too...

Maybe we could send all the illegals to Canada.

tod evans
07-08-2014, 03:34 PM
Maybe we could send all the illegals to Canada.

Them too! ;)