PDA

View Full Version : Texas GOP to strip anti gay language from platform

jmdrake
07-06-2014, 09:25 PM
Hello folks. I actually finally read the damn article from the other thread on the subject. This is what most people, including myself, missed from just reading the title.

Meanwhile, delegates looked poised to avoid a floor fight as they considered scrapping long-standing platform language that “homosexuality tears at the fabric of society.” But they also were set to sanction language allowing Texans to seek voluntary counseling to “cure” being gay - in contrast to California and New Jersey, which have previously banned such therapy, citing evidence it was dangerous to young people.

Gay conservatives said they didn’t want to oppose the motion for fear there could be a backlash resulting in even harsher platform language.

A more-contentious issue was a defeated proposal backing medical marijuana. Supporters, however, claimed victory since the issue made it to the convention floor for discussion.

“I believe this is a party of personal liberty,” said delegate David Westbrook, a supporter of medical marijuana. “It means we have to be consistent on it.”

So let me get this straight. The Texas GOP is ready strip stridently anti homosexual language from their platform, and yet some people are upset because in the process some where wanting to affirm the right of voluntary sexual orientation therapy? And for those who said "Why is this important" would you have preferred the Texas GOP just left well enough alone and kept the old plank? And don't we all feel manipulated by the media that took what any sane person would call a step forward for GOP Texas gays and turn it on its head? Oh, and there was a push for medical marijuana as well. But oh....don't look at that. The evil Texas GOP hates gays so much that it no longer wants to say"homosexuality tears at the fabric of society." This would be like a political party being criticized for finally getting rid of a plank that said "segregation forever" only to replace it with "Just say no to affirmative action."

Origanalist
07-07-2014, 02:07 AM
So let me get this straight.

Sounds like you got it to me.

CPUd
07-07-2014, 02:56 AM
Does this mean that now only steers come from Texas?

Origanalist
07-07-2014, 02:59 AM
Does this mean that now only steers come from Texas?

Yes it does.

Voluntarist
07-07-2014, 07:00 AM
xxxxx

otherone
07-07-2014, 07:10 AM
GOP
http://www.thewhirlingwind.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/shooting_ourselves_in_the_foot_shoot_the_foot.jpg

jmdrake
07-07-2014, 07:24 AM
GOP
http://www.thewhirlingwind.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/shooting_ourselves_in_the_foot_shoot_the_foot.jpg

Yeah. I guess they should have just left well enough alone and kept in the stridently anti-gay language so that they wouldn't offend gays. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I love to poke fun at the GOP as much as anyone, but this time they got it right. They rejected the collectivist position that "homosexuality is tearing at the fabric of society" while affirming the liberty position that voluntary therapy, even therapy that some say can't work and that's being given to minors, should be allowed. The way the liberal media has slanted this it makes it sound like out of the blue the Texas GOP up and decided to add a "pray away the gay" plank. But in context it sounds like the main fight was to strip out the antigay language the therapy language that some have their knickers in a knot over was added as an afterthought.

jmdrake
07-07-2014, 07:25 AM
So let me get this straight.

Sounds like you got it to me.

Pun intended?

You guys are freaking hilarious!

Origanalist
07-07-2014, 07:56 AM
You guys are freaking hilarious!

Actually.....my post wasn't meant to be funny. I agree with you.

jkr
07-07-2014, 07:59 AM
BUT
make special brownies, LIFE IN PRISON!

FUCK
TEXAS

jmdrake
07-07-2014, 08:06 AM
BUT
make special brownies, LIFE IN PRISON!

FUCK
TEXAS

Progress was made on that front as well.

A more-contentious issue was a defeated proposal backing medical marijuana. Supporters, however, claimed victory since the issue made it to the convention floor for discussion.

Sure no home run, but a solid base hit.

Christian Liberty
07-07-2014, 08:08 AM
Yeah. I guess they should have just left well enough alone and kept in the stridently anti-gay language so that they wouldn't offend gays. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I love to poke fun at the GOP as much as anyone, but this time they got it right. They rejected the collectivist position that "homosexuality is tearing at the fabric of society" while affirming the liberty position that voluntary therapy, even therapy that some say can't work and that's being given to minors, should be allowed. The way the liberal media has slanted this it makes it sound like out of the blue the Texas GOP up and decided to add a "pray away the gay" plank. But in context it sounds like the main fight was to strip out the antigay language the therapy language that some have their knickers in a knot over was added as an afterthought.

I actually agree with the bolded statement. I think that its true and based on Biblical principle. I don't think it has any role in a political party platform though, since that implies that the government should have something to do with homosexuality when it should not.