PDA

View Full Version : Plain clothes cops running "crosswalk yield" sting on motorists - video

devil21
07-05-2014, 04:38 PM
So much for "officer safety". That goes out the window when you purposely walk out in traffic just to generate a $100 ticket.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGZd1AbSMfQ

juleswin
07-05-2014, 05:01 PM
First of all, that is one poorly designed pedestrian crossing. I mean, how is a pedestrian supposed to know when its safe to walk? and vice versa. Put a stop sign, traffic light or relocate the damn thing.

Keith and stuff
07-05-2014, 05:11 PM
First of all, that is one poorly designed pedestrian crossing. I mean, how is a pedestrian supposed to know when its safe to walk? and vice versa. Put a stop sign, traffic light or relocate the damn thing.

From what it looks like, in theory, it is always safe to cross. There are 100s of cross walks in NH where there is no signage for the pedestrian because the pedestrian always has the right-of-way at them.

About the video - massholes. MA drivers and police tend to be rude. Though, the drivers tend to be of decent quality as I believe MA has the fewest deaths per miles driven.

Henry Rogue
07-05-2014, 05:15 PM

I guess a pedestrian must have faith that a law can stop a few thousand pounds dead in its tracks. Your government doesn't concern itself with reason.

juleswin
07-05-2014, 05:22 PM
From what it looks like, in theory, it is always safe to cross. There are 100s of cross walks in NH where there is no signage for the pedestrian because the pedestrian always has the right-of-way at them.

About the video - massholes. MA drivers and police tend to be rude. Though, the drivers tend to be of decent quality as I believe MA has the fewest deaths per miles driven.

Wow, I have to say that I never seen anything like that in Nebraska without some sign warning you to stop or a traffic light. I think I have seen something similar to that near a school building but then, it was way more obvious to everyone that just a bunch of white lines sitting int the middle of a main road.

parocks
07-05-2014, 07:36 PM

Different states have different rules about crosswalks. "When its safe to walk"? The pimeedestrian can always walk on the crosswalk. Period. In Maine. Which does sometimes make it tricky to drive. People people can and sometimes do just walk right in front of you. As a motorist, you don't just have to watch the road, when you see a crosswalk, you have to pay attention to the sidewalk, too, in case someone wants to cross the street. In other states, the crosswalk is a limitation on pedestrians. You have to use the crosswalk, but the cars might still hit you. In Maine, the cars are expected to. It's odd, but you do get used to it.

MelissaWV
07-05-2014, 08:27 PM
In this area there are several roads where the pedestrian always has the right of way *BUT* the area on either end of the crosswalk is clearly in view for some time. One thing I notice is poles and obstructions here that could mean a driver does not see a person crossing in time. Most of these are in or near the university, where the speed limit is already very low.

Oh I just remembered another few, and they have the same little stop signs that the video has. They say "Vehicles must STOP for pedestrians in crosswalk" or something similar, with the "STOP" in a stop sign. The signs in this case are really low. Again, this is all questionable to me from a visibility standpoint. I do think the couple of cars that almost nudged the guy crossing are driven by assholes. But they didn't hit him. At all.

phill4paul
07-05-2014, 09:42 PM
Solution... go paint a hundred of the fuggers every six feet...

http://www.staples-3p.com/s7/is/image/Staples/s0481273_sc7?$splssku$

Carson
07-05-2014, 11:58 PM
There was a pretty good animated gif of a person along the side of the road making like he was going to cross. He kept stepping out and going back over and over. A person that was stopped and waiting got out and pummeled him.

It was posted in maybe the original bestest picture thread.

Couldn't find it.

Carson
07-05-2014, 11:59 PM
My brother used to tell me, "You can be in the right and still end up dead."

nobody's_hero
07-06-2014, 05:48 AM
I'd be another pedestrian waiting until the cop car tried to chase after someone and then try to cross the street, lol. But then I'm sure I'd be the topic of a cop-abuse thread on Ron Paul forums.

Carson
07-06-2014, 09:50 AM
Some tips on Jaywalking.

http://bostonbiker.org/tag/pedestrians/

catfeathers
07-06-2014, 09:07 PM
I'm always yelling at people for swerving around me when I'm in the crosswalk in front of the grocery store. One of these days one of them is going to get hit with my buggy (shopping cart). I'm getting cantankerous in my old age. :D