PDA

View Full Version : Media list & campaign events

VoluntaryAmerican
07-02-2014, 01:46 PM
Hey Shem,

Just checking in to see how you've been doing. I haven't been on forums much lately.

As you may not know I'm a reporter and currently covering a congress race so I just thought I'd give you two important insights I've been thinking about lately.

Media list & press release

Find out all the newspapers/radio/tv in your district. Then find out contacts for each, usually there is a main email address to an editor or producer but there also should be one political beat reporter who will cover you. Know their name. If they're good they will check up with you regularly. Never say anything off the record you wouldn't say in public, it's better to have someone else do it for you. The more emails the better on your mass email list.

With the press release think like a reporter: include the who what where when and why of the event and a quote from you. For good examples check out your governors press releases. Also have an official looking masthead or image in the email, like your campaign logo. People will take it more seriously.

Press releases are good to let the press know where your going, your belief on a hot topic policy issue or local issue. As I'm sure you're aware. No need to over do it, because you will seem desperate and a reporter will think you will have no chance, which voters/readers will pick up on. Use them often enough to remind people you're still serious about the race.

Campaign stops

These are important, especially when the press is there. People think if they see you out and about a lot you will be a hard worker. Keep in mind it's more important to look good than anything else. Sounding good of course is also important and if you haven't already you should be finding local issues people care about and crafting your message. But at the end of the day like I said prior, looking good in photos is important. If you haven't already make sure all the media outlets have a stock photo of you looking professional. It's better than a poor quality one they may take.

Also play down or obscure your weaknesses and brag about your strengths; this seems kind of obvious but try not to appear fake. When I say "weakness" that could be anything that you believe would result in you losing votes. Knowing the demographics of your district will obviously make your "weakness" more obvious. For example, you're a young candidate, in an older district that could be perceived as a weakness.

I'd be happy to help with any of this. Compiling a list, etc.

skfornh
07-07-2014, 11:07 AM
thanks for thinking about me. please read this update: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?455265-Important-Update-on-my-Campaign