PDA

View Full Version : People who drive SUVs are going to absolutely hate these new "smart" parking meters

aGameOfThrones
07-02-2014, 10:01 AM
Are you still driving a ridiculously large Humvee that gets somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 miles per gallon? If so then you’re going to absolutely hate the new smart parking meters that have been unveiled in Madrid that charge you more money if you drive a big gas guzzler.

Bloomberg Businessweek reports that starting on July 1st, drivers who park in Madrid will have to enter their license plate number into a keypad on the meter, which will then check to see what their car’s fuel efficiency is. If a certain car is deemed to be too fuel inefficient or if it emits too much pollution then the driver will have to pay extra for parking.

Madrid has decided to implement these measures because air pollution in the city has apparently gotten out of control and the city faced fines from the European Union unless it cleaned up its act. In all, this sounds like this is one more reason for drivers to buy a Tesla, or at the very least a more fuel-efficient car than the ones they now own.

http://bgr.com/2014/07/01/madrid-smart-parking-meters/

Warrior_of_Freedom
07-02-2014, 11:27 AM
yeah punish the consumers, not the manufacturers. if they're such a problem ban the imports of the "gas guzzlers" or gtfo out of the European Union

ZENemy
07-02-2014, 12:33 PM
All this regulation has rekindled my love for Mountain bikes.

phill4paul
07-02-2014, 01:21 PM
As always the hits come for the working man, the independent business operator, that works out of the back of his gas guzzling work truck. The environmentalist like to bitch and moan. Until you show up to fix their air conditioner in a gas guzzler.

Acala
07-02-2014, 01:29 PM
I would just drive around longer until I found a space with no meter or a dumb meter. New antipollution meter=more pollution! Unintended consequences, baby.

tod evans
07-02-2014, 01:37 PM
As always the hits come for the working man, the independent business operator, that works out of the back of his gas guzzling work truck. The environmentalist like to bitch and moan. Until you show up to fix their air conditioner in a gas guzzler.

Prius equals a substantial increase in rates...

phill4paul
07-02-2014, 01:44 PM
Prius equals a substantial increase in rates...

Yup. Because I'd need three of them and have to pay for two other drivers to haul what my one truck does. Lol.

PRB
07-02-2014, 02:01 PM
yeah punish the consumers, not the manufacturers. if they're such a problem ban the imports of the "gas guzzlers" or gtfo out of the European Union

and what if they do? you'd shut up? or keep complaining that there's too much government?

Warrior_of_Freedom
07-02-2014, 02:46 PM
and what if they do? you'd shut up? or keep complaining that there's too much government?

who cares, it's europe

pcosmar
07-02-2014, 02:49 PM
Get a scooter that blows smoke and Fuck Em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAU_XLxvFdQ

Root
07-02-2014, 02:54 PM
Enter the license plate of someone else's car who lives out of town? :confused:

Dr.3D
07-02-2014, 06:43 PM
As if paying for the extra fuel isn't enough punishment.

LibForestPaul
07-02-2014, 07:04 PM
Seems logically.

satchelmcqueen
07-02-2014, 07:10 PM
and what charge should we put on those responsible for run away inflation that is THE cause for gas going up?

this will explain what i mean....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFrJvMWMdLY

FindLiberty
07-02-2014, 08:21 PM
...most gas guzzling cars guzzle far less gas when they are parked with their engines turned off.
So it makes complete guber-sense to "tax" that particular non-guzzling activity. %>

Job Creating Win-Win Solution: Hire a temporary "parking assistant valet" to drive your gas guzzling car around the block (or parking lot) continuously instead of parking it. They could drive it until you were ready to leave. Maybe they could also optionally offer others short "not a cab" rides to help raise some Bitcoin in order to reduce their service fee and/or pay for all the gas guzzled while avoiding that parking tax.

Anti Federalist
07-03-2014, 01:02 PM
Any "dumb" technology that all of sudden becomes "smart" gets an automatic stamp of disapproval from me.

"Smart" meters, televisions, refrigerators, phones, parking meters and all the rest...throw 'em in the woods.

PRB
07-03-2014, 01:33 PM
Any "dumb" technology that all of sudden becomes "smart" gets an automatic stamp of disapproval from me.

"Smart" meters, televisions, refrigerators, phones, parking meters and all the rest...throw 'em in the woods.

you Luddite?

bunklocoempire
07-03-2014, 07:10 PM
http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y442/bunklocoempirehi/CoolHandLuke3_zpsf4cfcbf6.jpg

asurfaholic
07-03-2014, 07:17 PM

What's up with you throwing all that in the woods?

Reported to the litter cops.

mad cow
07-03-2014, 07:43 PM

Leadlines over sonar?Lookout in the foremast over radar?Semaphores over marine radio?Sextant over GPS?
What's your opinion on the autopilot?Air conditioning on supply boats?Electric bilge pumps?

Oxcart between New Hampshire and the Gulf Coast over jet airplanes?

nobody's_hero
07-04-2014, 06:42 AM
That one guy in Spain who drives a vehicle bigger than a pack of cigarettes is gonna be pissed.

Seriously though, I wasn't aware Europeans drove anything other than mopeds.

eduardo89
07-04-2014, 06:47 AM
Seriously though, I wasn't aware Europeans drove anything other than mopeds.

It's really funny seeing business executives on their mopeds in Madrid. I don't understand how they get to work and now have a completely dirty suit.

angelatc
07-04-2014, 09:50 AM
One of the main reasons I still drive my gas guzzler is because it pisses liberals off so much. That, and I could squash a Prius like a bug if I had to.

eduardo89
07-04-2014, 10:02 AM
One of the main reasons I still drive my gas guzzler is because it pisses liberals off so much. That, and I could squash a Prius like a bug if I had to.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/Gixx1300R/Misc/540893_10152662761375112_1732414619_n_zps3a533567. jpg

Anti Federalist
07-04-2014, 10:55 AM
Leadlines over sonar?Lookout in the foremast over radar?Semaphores over marine radio?Sextant over GPS?
What's your opinion on the autopilot?Air conditioning on supply boats?Electric bilge pumps?

Oxcart between New Hampshire and the Gulf Coast over jet airplanes?

I can and have navigated by all those means, dragged inshore by means of ranges on water towers along the beach, for instance.

If giving up all those conveniences, (and yes, that is what they are, men have navigated the world's oceans for thousands of years without them, everything you mentioned is a convenience less than 100 years old) meant I would no longer be subject to continual and total surveillance, then yes, I would, in a heartbeat.

Look, we can just quit jerking ourselves off...if you cannot go about your business during the course of a day without being under complete electronic surveillance, you are not free, period, and never will be.

So play your little games, "Hah hah, look at old backwards ass AF, silly old fool, doesn't he know you can't stop progress?", but just keep in mind, freedom, as we know it, will be a thing of the past as well, in this brave new world everybody seems to be clamoring for.

LibForestPaul
07-04-2014, 12:02 PM
Wait until they start charging you different rates depending on which appliance is running at what time of day?

Oh, your old, here run this A/C for free.
TV +10% surcharge
TV +20% surcharge during brownouts
Too many lamps running, knock, knock, NOT, swat team with no-knock warrant.

amy31416
07-04-2014, 12:28 PM

That's why I bought a big-ass Volvo wagon when I had to drive the beltway around DC daily. The liberals are okay with a Volvo though because it's foreign-made. Dumbasses.

acptulsa
07-04-2014, 01:23 PM

This.

If you really want to discourage people from driving vehicles bigger than they need, pass a law that says every vehicle parked anywhere on top of the pavement stripes that separate one parking spot from another be impounded. If they can't fit it in one parking spot, and don't care, take it away from them.

That'll divide the commercial vehicles from the 'I just drive this crate because I like to intimidate people' crowd in a hurry.

angelatc
07-04-2014, 02:01 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/Gixx1300R/Misc/540893_10152662761375112_1732414619_n_zps3a533567. jpg

True story: Overheard my son skyping with his friends one night. "My friend Ethan got hit by a car!" (pause) "Yeah, he was fine. It was only a Prius."

angelatc
07-04-2014, 02:02 PM
This.

If you really want to discourage people from driving vehicles bigger than they need, pass a law that says every vehicle parked anywhere on top of the pavement stripes that separate one parking spot from another be impounded. If they can't fit it in one parking spot, and don't care, take it away from them.

That'll divide the commercial vehicles from the 'I just drive this crate because I like to intimidate people' crowd in a hurry.

What is it with the *need* bullshit? WHy is it so wrong just to allow people to drive what they want??? Why on Earth am I seeing Ron Paul fans promoting laws intended to control other people like that?