PDA

View Full Version : If you like your GPS…tough you can’t use it

Constitutional Paulicy
07-02-2014, 05:11 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/10451062_1509049809325895_208737269617323141_n.jpg

If you like your GPS…tough you can’t use it
By Norm Singleton on July 1, 2014 in National Blog

Potential federal regulations including limiting driver’s ability to input information while the car is in motion, or requiring people to certify they are a passenger before being able to use the device making people click a button saying that they are a passenger. The regulations will start with GPS devices installed in a car, but eventually will apply to smart phones, tablets, etc.

The justification for the regulations is….. (wait for it)…….SAFETY. But before Congress gives the National Highway Administration this new power they should ask themselves these questions:

1. Is there an epidemic of accidents caused by drivers distracted by GPS and GOOGLE Maps?

2. Will making it more expensive and difficult for drivers to use these apps make increase the use of paper maps which may be more distracting–and thus dangerous– than their electronic counterparts?

3. Does Congress have the Constitutional power to regulate our apps?

more here... http://www.campaignforliberty.org/national-blog/like-gps-tough-cant-use/

Anti Federalist
07-02-2014, 06:47 AM
3. Does Congress have the Constitutional power to regulate our apps?

Won't be Congress.

It will be NHTSB or DOT or TSA or some such.

There will be no "vote", there will just be regulation without representation.

The precedent has been clearly set, EVERYTHING is subject to federal regulation.

TruckinMike
07-02-2014, 07:26 AM
Won't be Congress.

It will be NHTSB or DOT or TSA or some such.

There will be no "vote", there will just be regulation without representation.

The precedent has been clearly set, EVERYTHING is subject to federal regulation.
"Soviet Rule".

However, I don't think they will ban all electronics. Half of all trucks have "qualcomms" in them. Its a sat tracking and communication device... with keyboard.

I don't think they will ban GPS either. They already have electronics/device distraction statutes on the books for truckers. Via FMCSA violations. They passed a whole new set of unified codes in 2010 called CSA2010. Every state including Canada has already adopted them.

They will just bring the rest of y'all into our world of regulation. Welcome, the water is not boiling yet, hop right in.;-)

Henry Rogue
07-02-2014, 07:33 AM
They're going to make drivers spend more time setting up their GPSs while driving.

jbauer
07-02-2014, 08:04 AM
They're going to make drivers spend more time setting up their GPSs while driving.

Na, no chance. People will respect the governments wishes and not use their GPS's anymore. When they do, they will lawfully pull of interstates, find paid public parking and then input their destination.

Anti Federalist
07-02-2014, 09:36 PM
Oh yeah, well aware of QualComm, they had a marine version back in the 90s I used.

Not enough bandwidth to keep a hairy eyeball on everybody on the ship, so now we have multiple Big Brother tracking schemes.

At least you truckers aren't subject to UN regulation...yet.

It's coming though.

I've been living with for about ten years now.

"Soviet Rule".

However, I don't think they will ban all electronics. Half of all trucks have "qualcomms" in them. Its a sat tracking and communication device... with keyboard.

I don't think they will ban GPS either. They already have electronics/device distraction statutes on the books for truckers. Via FMCSA violations. They passed a whole new set of unified codes in 2010 called CSA2010. Every state including Canada has already adopted them.

They will just bring the rest of y'all into our world of regulation. Welcome, the water is not boiling yet, hop right in.;-)