PDA

View Full Version : NOAA Quietly Reinstates July 1936 -- Not July 2012 -- As Hottest Month On Record

William Tell
07-01-2014, 07:18 AM
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, criticized for manipulating temperature records to create a warming trend, has now been caught warming the past and cooling the present. July 2012 became the hottest month on record in the U.S. during a summer that was declared “too hot to handle (http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2012/03aug_summer2012/)” by NASA scientists. That summer more than half the country was experiencing drought and wildfires had scorched more than 1.3 million acres of land, according to NASA.
According to NOAA’s National Climatic Data Center in 2012 (http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/national/2012/07), the “average temperature for the contiguous U.S. during July was 77.6°F, 3.3°F above the 20th century average, marking the warmest July and all-time warmest month on record for the nation in a period of record that dates back to 1895.”
“The previous warmest July for the nation was July 1936, when the average U.S. temperature was 77.4°F,” NOAA said in 2012.
This statement by NOAA was still available on their website when checked by The Daily Caller News Foundation. But when meteorologist and climate blogger Anthony Watts went to check the NOAA datahttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png (http://dailycaller.com/2014/06/30/noaa-quietly-reinstates-july-1936-as-the-hottest-month-on-record/#) on Sunday he found that the science agency had quietly reinstated July 1936 as the hottest month on record in the U.S.
“Two years ago during the scorching summer of 2012, July 1936 lost its place on the leaderboard and July 2012 became the hottest month on record in the United States,” Watts wrote (http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/06/29/noaas-temperature-control-knob-for-the-past-the-present-and-maybe-the-future-july-1936-now-hottest-month-again/). “Now, as if by magic, and according to NOAA’s own data, July 1936 is now the hottest month on record again. The past, present, and future all seems to be ‘adjustable’ in NOAA’s world.”
Watts had data from NOAA’s “Climate at a Glance” plots from 2012, which shows that July 2012 was the hottest month on record at 77.6 degrees Fahrenheit. July 1936 is only at 77.4 degrees Fahrenheit. [Annotations in the graph are from Watts].

https://wattsupwiththat.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/noaa_usavg_temps_july_focuson_1936_from_20121.pngT emperature graph by Anthony Watts at http://wattsupwiththat.com/

Read the full article here: http://dailycaller.com/2014/06/30/noaa-quietly-reinstates-july-1936-as-the-hottest-month-on-record/

ChristianAnarchist
07-01-2014, 07:45 AM
Who's surprised? Not me. I've been saying this is all a bunch of noise about nothing for 20 years. I remember the "ice age" scare from the 60's...

CPUd
07-01-2014, 08:08 AM
The 2nd chart did use a different method. Look at some of the other years.

Henry Rogue
07-01-2014, 08:14 AM
It's to bad cave temperatures weren't accurately recorded over that time period. I would think cave temps would give a realistic observation of temperature trends. Seems to me, that would negate the effects of heat sinks, particularly if the caves aren't located near urban sprawl.

green73
07-01-2014, 09:02 AM
But, but, how can the record not have been broken yet if the globe is warming?

William Tell
07-01-2014, 09:12 AM
But, but, how can the record not have been broken yet if the globe is warming?

Logic should not be used on scientific subjects, you and I are mere mortals, we do not understand such things. We should wait until Government funded scientists explain to our little brains how this can be.:o

DamianTV
07-01-2014, 03:33 PM
Does NOAA also measure temperatures at the sea floor where ocean currents flow, which affects our global climate? The entire ocean is not the same temperature, and temperatures also vary quite a bit depending on depth...

Zippyjuan
07-01-2014, 04:53 PM
They don't count temperatures at the bottom of the ocean but do include ocean and air temperatures which can be effected by the water temperature.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/indicators/

Thousands of land and ocean temperature measurements are recorded each day around the globe. This includes measurements from climate reference stations, weather stations, ships, buoys and autonomous gliders in the oceans. These surface measurements are also supplemented with satellite measurements. These measurements are processed, examined for random and systematic errors, and then finally combined to produce a time series of global average temperature change. A number of agencies around the world have produced datasets of global-scale changes in surface temperature using different techniques to process the data and remove measurement errors that could lead to false interpretations of temperature trends. The warming trend that is apparent in all of the independent methods of calculating global temperature change is also confirmed by other independent observations, such as the melting of mountain glaciers on every continent, reductions in the extent of snow cover, earlier blooming of plants in spring, a shorter ice season on lakes and rivers, ocean heat content, reduced arctic sea ice, and rising sea levels.

green73
07-01-2014, 05:15 PM
Bump

PRB
07-01-2014, 05:26 PM
1. if they didn't change it, you'll accuse them of hiding the truth
2. who has better data?
3. focus on 2012, ignore 2013, 2014, and all other surrounding years, because exceptions matter more than trends and rules

PRB
07-01-2014, 05:27 PM
Logic should not be used on scientific subjects, you and I are mere mortals, we do not understand such things. We should wait until Government funded scientists explain to our little brains how this can be.:o

No, you shouldn't. I'd love for non-government scientists to provide better data, make better predictions.

Nobody is stopping them.

green73
07-01-2014, 05:36 PM
No, you shouldn't. I'd love for non-government scientists to provide better data, make better predictions.

Nobody is stopping them.

:rolleyes:

PRB
07-01-2014, 05:38 PM
:rolleyes:

prove me wrong

green73
07-01-2014, 05:40 PM
prove me wrong

Prove what wrong?

PRB
07-01-2014, 05:40 PM
Prove what wrong?
I'd love for non-government scientists to provide better data, make better predictions.

Nobody is stopping them.

Am I wrong? If not, what's with the snark?

green73
07-01-2014, 05:45 PM
I'd love for non-government scientists to provide better data, make better predictions.

Nobody is stopping them.

Am I wrong? If not, what's with the snark?

I can't prove your love for something wrong.

PRB
07-01-2014, 06:10 PM
I can't prove your love for something wrong.

actually you can.

Show me who's been stopped from making better predictions, providing better data.

Dare? I doubt it.

green73
07-01-2014, 06:46 PM
actually you can.

Show me who's been stopped from making better predictions, providing better data.

Dare? I doubt it.

What is the incentive to the private sector? The big corps will not mind an energy tax, as it will kill off competition. Other than they, who should fund this endeavor to disprove this lunacy? Growing companies already burdened with onerous regulations and taxes? Are you living in a fucking fantasy world? You must be; you're a lefty.

PRB
07-01-2014, 07:04 PM
What is the incentive to the private sector?

The same incentive people have for claiming and believing global warming isn't real, isn't it? To avoid taxes?

The big corps will not mind an energy tax, as it will kill off competition.

not if they're the only ones hurt while their competitions don't need it

Other than they, who should fund this endeavor to disprove this lunacy?

Fine with me, I'll keep laughing at them.

Growing companies already burdened with onerous regulations and taxes? Are you living in a fucking fantasy world? You must be; you're a lefty.

No, I'm not a lefty.

green73
07-01-2014, 07:08 PM
No, I'm not a lefty.

Are you sure about that?

PRB
07-01-2014, 11:31 PM
Are you sure about that?

do I need to bomb an abortion clinic or say the n-word to prove it to you?

do I need to get arrested for not paying taxes or spit on a federal agent's grave?

Zippyjuan
07-01-2014, 11:43 PM
What is being ignored is that even with that temperature adjustment, the trend line is still showing temperatures warming over the past century.

PRB
07-01-2014, 11:51 PM
What is being ignored is that even with that temperature adjustment, the trend line is still showing temperatures warming over the past century.

yeah, but we all know those data are LIES, MADE UP TO CONTROL US.

30,000 SCIENTISTS HAVE SIGNED A PETITION SAYING IT'S A LIE.

FIRST THEY SAID GLOBAL WARMING AND NOW ITS CLIMATE CHANGE

WE JUST HAD THE COLDEST WINTER IN THE US

THEY CAN'T EVEN PREDICT WEATHER HOW CAN THEY PREDICT CLIMATE?

CLIMATEGATE EMAILS PROVE GLOBAL WARMING IS FALSE

CLIMATE HAS ALWAYS CHANGED, WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL

NOBODY SAID SANDY OR KATRINA WAS A SURPRISE, PEOPLE WHO DIED OR LOST HOMES DESERVE IT BECAUSE WE ALL KNOW IT'S NATURAL TO HAVE HURRICANES

THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW IS PROPAGANDA

AL GORE IS NOT A SCIENTIST, PLUS HE BOUGHT A MANCHUN IN THE MIDDLE OF WHERE HE SAID IT WAS GONNA FLOOD

CALIFORNIA IS DROUGHTING, SO MUCH FOR SEA LEVEL RISING

AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH WASN'T FREE ON YOUTUBE, THAT PROVES IT WAS MADE FOR PROFIT, UNLIKE FREEDOM TO FASCISM.