PDA

View Full Version : Cops arrest father because 8-year-old son explored neighborhood

green73
07-01-2014, 06:06 AM
BLANCHESTER, OH — An Ohio family is reeling after a father was arrested and lost his job because his 8-year-old son explored the neighborhood by himself. He could face up to six months in jail.

Justin Williamson, 8, recently decided to skip church without telling his father. When the church van came to pick him up on a recent Sunday morning, the boy instead walked a half-mile from his home to a local Dollar General store.

A local busybody called the police to report an unattended minor. The police rounded up Justin and then came after his father, Jeffrey Williamson.

“The next thing you know, [the officer] comes up to me and he says, ‘You’re under arrest,’” Mr. Williamson told WCPO. “My kids start crying their eyes out wondering why I’m getting arrested.”

Mr. Williamson was arrested on a charge of “child endangerment.” If convicted, he could potentially spend six months in jail.

“It’s ridiculous to me that I was arrested for this,” Williamson remarked.

His arrest was telegraphed on the front page of the local newspaper, and he subsequently was fired from his job. The kids are now instilled with a fear of police.

“Every time that we leave in our car or drive down the street or something like that, every time they see a cop in Blanchester, they freak out and say, ‘Daddy, Daddy, Daddy, are they going to arrest you?’” he told the local news.

cont.
http://www.policestateusa.com/2014/jeffrey-williamson/

limequat
07-01-2014, 06:46 AM
"Daddy, are they going to arrest you?"

My kids do this too.

green73
07-01-2014, 06:58 AM
My parents would probably be considered terrorists today.

fisharmor
07-01-2014, 07:13 AM
Well, speaking from experience, there are really only the people this is happening to who are going bankrupt trying to keep their kids from getting kidnapped and to stay out of prison,
and there are people who don't see a problem with this.

There aren't enough of the first group to really do anything but make blog posts.

Until people are prepared to Bundy Ranch situations like this - surround the courthouse and demand the parents immediately have their records expunged and any legal fees returned - until then, it's gonna keep happening.

phill4paul
07-01-2014, 07:26 AM
Well, speaking from experience, there are really only the people this is happening to who are going bankrupt trying to keep their kids from getting kidnapped and to stay out of prison,
and there are people who don't see a problem with this.

There aren't enough of the first group to really do anything but make blog posts.

Until people are prepared to Bundy Ranch situations like this - surround the courthouse and demand the parents immediately have their records expunged and any legal fees returned - until then, it's gonna keep happening.

And boycott employers who fire their employees over a simple arrest and not a conviction. Let's not forget them.

FindLiberty
07-01-2014, 02:20 PM
Good story, that family has learned a valuable lesson. There is still hope!

(Geesh, that's an 8 year old, not an 8 month old baby!)

acptulsa
07-01-2014, 02:26 PM
And boycott employers who fire their employees over a simple arrest and not a conviction. Let's not forget them.

These days you could starve doing this...

Christian Liberty
07-01-2014, 02:31 PM
I'm not sure I blame the person who reported. I'd be inclined to do the same thing if there was an eight year old who was alone and who's parents I could not identify. But, all they should have done is return the child to his parents and it should have been over with.

fisharmor
07-01-2014, 02:34 PM
I'm not sure I blame the person who reported. I'd be inclined to do the same thing if there was an eight year old who was alone and who's parents I could not identify. But, all they should have done is return the child to his parents and it should have been over with.

Even after everything you've seen here, you'd still call the cops?

That's the exact reason why this happens.

acptulsa
07-01-2014, 02:37 PM
But, all they should have done is return the child to his parents and it should have been over with.

'They' who? The people at the store? So the cops can charge them with kidnapping and possibly sex crimes for having a child they don't know in their car?

Or are you expecting cops to do the right thing?

mad cow
07-01-2014, 02:40 PM
I was 8 years old in the late 1950's.This story would read like dystopian science fiction back then.
Examples?Every freaking day of my life back then and that of every other kid I knew.

Scary stuff.

kcchiefs6465
07-01-2014, 02:44 PM
I was 8 years old in the late 1950's.This story would read like dystopian science fiction back then.
Examples?Every freaking day of my life back then and that of every other kid I knew.

Scary stuff.
I was 8 in '99.

I never was at home.

ETA: Never had anyone call the police on me either. My dad found me a couple times, miles away on my bicycle (he just happened to drive by and see me), but I never even got a stern talking to. Hell, they'd lock us out the house some days, haha. Start yelling for us when the sun set.

I couldn't imagine it in some of these neighborhoods. Nosy neighbors weren't quite welcome where I grew up. Anymore it seems the busybodies outnumber the sane. OCD freaks always complaining about something.

sam1952
07-01-2014, 02:45 PM
"A local busybody called the police to report an unattended minor"

What the hells an unattended minor? Anyone under 18? Who the heck determines when a child is old enough to cross the street alone.. um the parents that's who. This just makes me sick. I guess the local busybody feels she can make that decision...

pcosmar
07-01-2014, 03:17 PM
"A local busybody called the police to report an unattended minor"

What the hells an unattended minor? Anyone under 18? Who the heck determines when a child is old enough to cross the street alone.. um the parents that's who. This just makes me sick. I guess the local busybody feels she can make that decision...

It was off it's leash. :(

tod evans
07-01-2014, 04:35 PM

Reprehensible!

Shame on you........

LibForestPaul
07-01-2014, 05:28 PM
Reprehensible!

Shame on you........

I think we all need to start becoming good statists. We know how the system works. Push the evil. Why drag out the pain. Make it happen all at once, and a lot. Easier to notice.

ghengis86
07-01-2014, 05:29 PM
"The kids are now instilled with a fear of police"

As well they should be.

07-01-2014, 06:36 PM

You are young and a product of the nanny state, so we'll forgive you.

If this is a crime then my mother is a hardened criminal. At that age I wandered about town on my own and gasp went to the stores and bought stuff. I had to be home by dark. This was in the 70's. My kids were allowed to wander around town, go to friends houses and the store at 8. This was only a few years ago. I guess I am a criminal too.

tod evans
07-01-2014, 07:08 PM
I think we all need to start becoming good statists. We know how the system works. Push the evil. Why drag out the pain. Make it happen all at once, and a lot. Easier to notice.

I'll have no part in it, thanks anyway.

XNavyNuke
07-01-2014, 07:12 PM
"Daddy, are they going to arrest you?"

My kids do this too.

Poor kid! Caught reconnoitering a population center. His name is probably already on the TSA no-fly list.

XNN

green73
07-01-2014, 07:18 PM
You are young and a product of the nanny state....

So true.

If this is a crime then my mother is a hardened criminal. At that age I wandered about town on my own and gasp went to the stores and bought stuff. I had to be home by dark. This was in the 70's. My kids were allowed to wander around town, go to friends houses and the store at 8. This was only a few years ago. I guess I am a criminal too.

I was allowed to run wild from the age of at least 5. And look at me... Ok, don't look at me,...but nothing bad ever happened!

asurfaholic
07-01-2014, 08:14 PM
this is getting ridiculous.

Christian Liberty
07-01-2014, 08:42 PM
Even after everything you've seen here, you'd still call the cops?

That's the exact reason why this happens.

No, I probably wouldn't. I don't trust them at all. But my point is that it wasn't wrong for the neighbor to be concerned about the kid (who went to the dollar store WITHOUT his parent's permission and possibly without their knowledge). It was wrong for the police to go nuts and make it a crime.

I still don't know what I'd do if someone murdered one of my family members. I'm open to suggestions for that unlikely event. But no, short of something like that, I wouldn't consider it because I absolutely do not trust the police.

You are young and a product of the nanny state, so we'll forgive you.

My issue wasn't that the parent let them go to the store. That's perfectly fine. But that wasn't what happened. The child went without his parents knowledge. I'm not sure if the neighbor knew that or not. But if the child truly was lost, I can see that neighbor wanting to get involved. There are better ways of doing so than calling police. Obviously if the parent actually let the kid go to the store that's only their business, regardless of what 95%+ of statists say.