PDA

View Full Version : Americans Losing Confidence in All Branches of U.S. Gov't - Gallup Poll

DamianTV
06-30-2014, 06:08 PM
http://www.gallup.com/poll/171992/americans-losing-confidence-branches-gov.aspx

http://content.gallup.com/origin/gallupinc/GallupSpaces/Production/Cms/POLL/mlshsm8l-0mdgn7zps4hzw.png

A fresh Gallup poll today highlights the fact that Americans are at their wits’ end with government, all three branches of government.

Confidence in the Supreme Court, Congress, and the presidency has hit record lows.

The Supreme Court is down to a 30 percent approval rating, an all time low. Congress is currently at 7 percent, another all time low. The presidency is now at 29 percent, a six year low, and an all time low under Obama, just 4 points higher than the all time low under then reviled George W. Bush in 2007.

The branch with the most steep drop in confidence is the presidency, falling a full seven percentage points from its 2013 rating of 36 percent.

Obama is currently experiencing worse ratings than his two predecessors, George W. Bush and Bill Clinton, at the same point in their terms, and has done in each subsequent year of his presidency.

To put this into further perspective, in 1998 Bill Clinton had a rating 24 points higher than Obama currently does, despite the fact that he was embroiled in a sex scandal and facing impeachment.

Continues on Link. Anyone suprised?

DFF
06-30-2014, 10:07 PM
People losing confidence because an entity is constantly working against them and their interests.

Whata shock. :rolleyes:

Pauls' Revere
06-30-2014, 11:26 PM
I dunno, perhaps it demonstrates the lack of desire the American voter has to see an alternative. Seems all three branches are essentially below 50% since 1991 and we still have both parties in power? If people were genuinely concerned or outraged seems that this would not be. Where's the reform? the million something march? impeachment? recall? maybe it's my apathy kicking in, then again it's just a poll.

James Madison
06-30-2014, 11:39 PM
Make no mistake, friends, this has nothing to do with people 'waking up' or 'getting it'. Americans are losing confidence in government because it isn't doing enough for them. More welfare, more free stuff, more police state, more safety, more killing brown people -- that's what people want. The truth hurts.

Anti Federalist
07-01-2014, 12:06 AM
Make no mistake, friends, this has nothing to do with people 'waking up' or 'getting it'. Americans are losing confidence in government because it isn't doing enough for them. More welfare, more free stuff, more police state, more safety, more killing brown people -- that's what people want. The truth hurts.

This is the painful truth...

oyarde
07-01-2014, 12:14 AM
I have lost no faith in govt , hard to decline from zero .

Ronin Truth
07-01-2014, 07:16 AM
I'm stunned and amazed that ANY confidence has lasted as long and as well as it has. Herd mentality and group-think works much better than it should.

specsaregood
07-01-2014, 07:19 AM
Next time Putin trolls our media, I'd like him to suggest that americans hold a "no confidence" vote nationwide. That'd be fun.

SilentBull
07-01-2014, 07:33 AM
I really hate these kinds of polls. If that were true, incumbents wouldn't get re-elected as much as they do. The truth is people respond the way they think they are expected to respond. You're just not cool if you say you trust congress. But in reality, when it comes time to cast the ballots, the voters show their true colors.

Henry Rogue
07-01-2014, 07:37 AM

That's my assessment as well.

Pericles
07-01-2014, 09:03 AM

We were supposed to never have any faith in government.

klamath
07-01-2014, 09:22 AM
"There has got to be a better way" but all the better ways presented get rejected so they get what they get.

jbauer
07-01-2014, 01:55 PM

Thats where you're wrong. They are paying negative interest rates in some European countries.

Zippyjuan
07-01-2014, 02:04 PM
I really hate these kinds of polls. If that were true, incumbents wouldn't get re-elected as much as they do. The truth is people respond the way they think they are expected to respond. You're just not cool if you say you trust congress. But in reality, when it comes time to cast the ballots, the voters show their true colors.

People hate "government" but still like their own representative. That and the fact that most districts are gerrymandered so that one party nearly always wins it anyways.

Zippyjuan
07-01-2014, 02:05 PM
Thats where you're wrong. They are paying negative interest rates in some European countries.

The negative interest rates in Europe are the rates banks earn from reserves they keep at the European Central Bank. The US Fed currently pays one quarter of one percent on such deposits (the rate on both used to be zero before the economic crisis).

acptulsa
07-01-2014, 03:19 PM
People hate "government" but still like their own representative.

No they don't. Ten percent are afraid to put in someone with less seniority because the only thing worse than living in a nation that runs exclusively on graft and corruption is living in a district that doesn't get any of it. And ninety percent don't know if they like the person or not, but votes for them because that's the only name on the ballot they've ever heard before.