PDA

View Full Version : I have seen very few Paul signs in Iowa

williameis
12-01-2007, 04:22 PM
living in Cedar Rapids (second biggest city in Iowa) I have only seen 1 sign for Ron Paul and it was taken down over a month ago. With so many grassroots supporters it seems like signs should be one of the top advertising methods. A $2,000 radio ad couldn't possibly compare to $2,000 worth of signs... does the official campaign resist this because they may be put on private property or something? Is this lack of signs common in other cities around the country as well?

walt
12-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Invite some people from the Arizona meetup groups to stay in your home for a week, that'll fix it. :D :D :D

ScotTX
12-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Are you seeing any other candidates signs? Here in TX, I see RP signs and stickers everyday, but I have yet to see a sign for anyone else.

williameis
12-01-2007, 04:41 PM
I know of at least 3 Obama Hope for America signs. I've seen two Huckabee signs near high traffic interstates & highways. Have seen 1 romney signs in front of a morman church that has a low traffic count. Not a single Giuliani sign.

TheNewYorker
12-01-2007, 04:43 PM
Paul will not do well in Iowa. I have some family there, they say they know no one that talks about or likes Paul.

hopeforamerica
12-01-2007, 04:45 PM
Invite some people from the Arizona meetup groups to stay in your home for a week, that'll fix it. :D :D :D

Hahaha! Seriously, sometimes you have to take things into your own hands. We've been ordering signs ourselves and putting them up. They get taken down after a few days, and we put them back up!

If you haven't done it already, join your meetup group. If there isn't one near by, order some signs, or make some signs and put them up. This is what grassroots is all about :D

Tratzman
12-01-2007, 04:46 PM
living in Cedar Rapids (second biggest city in Iowa) I have only seen 1 sign for Ron Paul and it was taken down over a month ago. With so many grassroots supporters it seems like signs should be one of the top advertising methods. A $2,000 radio ad couldn't possibly compare to $2,000 worth of signs... does the official campaign resist this because they may be put on private property or something? Is this lack of signs common in other cities around the country as well?

Up here in Cedar Falls we've got at least 12 4 x 8's anchored in key spots. I used guerilla tactics for half of them, putting them in at night in abandoned properties. NONE of them have come down and some have been up over 3 months.

Waterloo/Cedar Falls loves Ron Paul!!

:)

angrydragon
12-01-2007, 04:46 PM
I've seen one Romney bumper sticker for Romney in Southern California. A few signs for Ron Paul at a freeway entrance and an overpass.

Avalon
12-01-2007, 04:47 PM
living in Cedar Rapids (second biggest city in Iowa) I have only seen 1 sign for Ron Paul and it was taken down over a month ago. With so many grassroots supporters it seems like signs should be one of the top advertising methods. A $2,000 radio ad couldn't possibly compare to $2,000 worth of signs... does the official campaign resist this because they may be put on private property or something? Is this lack of signs common in other cities around the country as well? Just so you know, the signs do not buy nor place themselves. Hundreds of areas around the country have been blanketed with signs for Ron Paul...and they were all done by local meetup groups. Do Iowans dislike liberty? Do they feel that since they are in an important state that others should do work for them?

williameis
12-01-2007, 04:48 PM
i'm in the meetup group and may suggest it. They typically hand out flyers at public events.

There is an ice storm out now, but I may organize a 3am raid later this week. If I want 100 signs do I have to place an order for that, or does the official campaign have them? Order of 100,000 would probably be 10% the cost of 100 so it seems like the campaign should have them for cheap or free to supporters.

williameis
12-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Just so you know, the signs do not buy nor place themselves. Hundreds of areas around the country have been blanketed with signs for Ron Paul...and they were all done by local meetup groups. Do Iowans dislike liberty? Do they feel that since they are in an important state that others should do work for them?

While Iowas do dislike liberty, they love condescending assholes. Send me your resume as I think you would be a great fit!

LibertyEagle
12-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Paul will not do well in Iowa. I have some family there, they say they know no one that talks about or likes Paul.

What don't they like?

t3rmin
12-01-2007, 04:52 PM
I just wrote 40 letters to Cedar Rapids folks last night!

Sounds like you've got a plan there, William. Run with it! ;-)

Tratzman
12-01-2007, 04:53 PM

No one talks about ANY candidate here. We've got the best grassroots operation in the country. I'm confident we'll finish top three, maybe even higher. We finished 5th in the straw poll and that was with RP only spending 8 days here. And Brownback finished ahead of us, so in actuality only 3 now currently in the race finished higher and I doubt if Tancredo will even be close to us this time around. RP is bombing the state with advertising right now.

Have a little faith!!

Chad

ProfNo
12-01-2007, 04:54 PM
Iowans tend to only want big government as farms are the major source of equity, and most of these are subsidized. This is a bad thing for Ron Paul.

I hate to be negative, but this is the truth. My hope is that they will wake up and smell the freedom.

Iowans, please tell me if I am wrong, but I am from your "northern neighbor" and this is what I have found to be true in general.

jenius
12-01-2007, 04:55 PM
Mostly, Iowans like to play it safe. It's Iowa that swung the 2004 elections to John Kerry over Dean, and it's Iowa where a traditional-sounding, safe, charismatic candidate like Huckabee will do well.

Iowa is basically the anti-New Hampshire.

That doesn't mean Ron Paul will do badly, but in general, Iowans will not back anyone they don't know very well. AKA, December 16th, no matter how well it does, will not affect Iowan voters. If Ron Paul wants to do well in Iowa, it will have to be through constant media barrages and a massive grassroots canvassing effort.

walt
12-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Iowans tend to only want big government as farms are the major source of equity, and most of these are subsidized. This is a bad thing for Ron Paul.

I hate to be negative, but this is the truth. My hope is that they will wake up and smell the freedom.

should the campaign be focused on des moines (a large city) then?

ProfNo
12-01-2007, 04:59 PM
should the campaign be focused on des moines (a large city) then?

I think Ron Paul would do much better in larger cities, including Des Moines, so in my opinion yes. The problem with the larger cities in the Midwest is that they tend to be more Democratic in flavor. That being said, I think that these Democrats are the kind that would be VERY receptive to Ron Paul's message as they tend to be VERY anti-war. But, it is important to get the message out to them.

williameis
12-01-2007, 05:08 PM
I can not speak for Des Moines, but Cedar Rapids has a strong Republican base that wants lower taxes. They consistently vote against taxes that other cities want (like a recent tax proposal to build a rain forest). CR also have a strangely strong fundamentalist Christian group that are locked in with Huck no matter what (Huck is now winning in the Iowa polls).

Iowa City is the most liberal city in Iowa. They would be very receptive to Paul's anti-war voting record and plan.

angelatc
12-01-2007, 05:10 PM
Iowa City is the most liberal city in Iowa. They would be very receptive to Paul's anti-war voting record and plan.

Well then - make some signs and put them up!

rich34
12-01-2007, 05:18 PM
If Iowa is not being to receptive to Ron's message then I'd start dumping money into South Carolina because it seems they are at least responding according to the latest polls there.

OptionsTrader
12-01-2007, 05:19 PM

Then :

A) Buy some
B) Put them up
C) Encourage others to GOTO A

IowaSupport
12-01-2007, 05:22 PM
About Iowa City:

People are very receptive to his anti-war stance and his anti-drug-war stance, but as soon as these folks hear "Republican" they scoff and walk away.

Iowa City has been dubbed, "The People's Republic of Iowa" - the trick here is to try to find the Republicans that are here and try to convert. These Dems like Ron Paul - they just like their Democrats even more.

Eric21ND
12-01-2007, 05:23 PM
We just have to organize an effort to get out there. I know I lived close to you I would gladly go out some night and hang a ton of Paul signs everywhere!

piotr1
12-01-2007, 05:24 PM
I highly recommend Tom at RonPaulGrassrootsHQ.com for signs.
If you place a large order of at least 300 he basically sells them at cost.

Definatly get the upgraded wire stands, he doesn't list them on his website but they are only 60 cents more and WELL WORTH IT.

Here's a link http://www.ronpaulgrassrootshq.com/store-66.html

mosquitobite
12-01-2007, 05:27 PM
William I just sent 10 handwritten letters to undecided people in Morning Sun. I'm from Indiana!

You have help, you just may not see us! :)

Buy a white tarp spray paint it with the rEVOLution - and hang! :D

John of Des Moines
12-01-2007, 05:35 PM
Just so people know, there were about 50 of us out in today's freaking ice storm doing a door to door lit drop. Had 4 from Cincinnati, a group from KC. Worked in groups of 2 doing blocks. We appreciate all the help we got! (Crazy Ron Paulers driving in an ice storm to help out ;)). Everyone got soaked to the bone about it went well.

transistor
12-01-2007, 05:36 PM
i live near iowa, and unless ron paul gets his name out, huckabee will take iowa. mark my words

people around here are amazingly stupid

Eric21ND
12-01-2007, 05:39 PM
Have you guys seen any ads running in Iowa?

I get worried about that state because NH really seems to have their stuff together, but news out of Iowa is like a black hole.

mosquitobite
12-01-2007, 05:40 PM
How many members here live in Iowa and are doing like John?

Iowan's we need YOU to hang signs and get the word out! That's what grassroots are all about!

ProfNo
12-01-2007, 05:58 PM
i live near iowa, and unless ron paul gets his name out, huckabee will take iowa. mark my words

I have to say that, unfortunately, I agree with you. Iowans seem to love big government and religion, and these two things define Huck to a tee.

The only hope, as people are alluding to here, is to focus on the cities and get the Democrats to back Paul. I think that they would if they were just informed of his message, especially with respect to the war. They hate the war more than anything, and would vote for Ron just on that issue along.

fletcher
12-01-2007, 06:01 PM
In Urbandale (DM) there are two huge Ron Paul signs on very busy streets. Other than that I have only seen small signs on side streets for Hillary (2), Obama (1), Richardson (1), Romeny (1), and Huck (1). I don't see many bumper stickers either, but most of the ones I do see are for Paul or Obama.

seapilot
12-01-2007, 06:03 PM
I have to say that, unfortunately, I agree with you. Iowans seem to love big government and religion, and these two things define Huck to a tee.

The only hope, as people are alluding to here, is to focus on the cities and get the Democrats to back Paul. I think that they would if they were just informed of his message, especially with respect to the war. They hate the war more than anything, and would vote for Ron just on that issue along.

I mention that in every letter I have sent(about bringing the troops home) to No Party voters. Maybe it will entice them to bite the bullet and vote republican for Ron Paul.

AlexMerced
12-01-2007, 06:07 PM
well if Huck soaks up all the votes from the other 4 it makes it a lot easier for us to get 2nd place which would still be an upset, even 3rd will help us if somehow all of romneys voters actually vote for him

AtomiC
12-01-2007, 06:09 PM
Anyone know a good site where I can get signs/posters and such?

mosquitobite
12-01-2007, 06:13 PM
www.cafepress.com is a good one

jumpyg1258
12-01-2007, 06:15 PM
I live in the DC area. I have yet to see anyones signs here. However in my travels abroad, with the few signs I have seen, they have all been RP signs.

Total Bumper Stickers I have seen in the DC Area...
Obama: 2
Paul: 2
Clinton: 1
Edwards: 1

If you include bumper stickers I have seen overall, there are a lot more RP ones out there than any other candidate.

ProfNo
12-01-2007, 06:15 PM
I mention that in every letter I have sent(about bringing the troops home) to No Party voters. Maybe it will entice them to bite the bullet and vote republican for Ron Paul.

I think that this is a good start, but the only way to take Iowa or do well is to really focus on the war, as I think it is the only issue where Ron Paul can really gain traction there; unfortunately defending the constitution does not seem to matter much in Iowa :(

In letters, I would more than mention bringing the troops home, I would mention that he warned against the war before it began, has voted against the war consistently and without fail, and would bring the troops home right now. These arguments converted some Democrats I know; they even have a Ron Paul bumper sticker on their car now :)

Furis
12-01-2007, 06:17 PM

Iowans, please tell me if I am wrong, but I am from your "northern neighbor" and this is what I have found to be true in general.

Small Family Farms HATE subsidies, because it only helps corporate farms get bigger while screwing the little guy.

Iowa WILL go to Huck (If this doesn't happen I will probably die), but we could easily come in third or second. WE MUST COME IN THIRD OR BETTER.

90% or more of the supporters of Ron will go to the Caucuses, Huck will also have a strong showing, but the others may poll well but the supporters aren't dedicated.

quickmike
12-01-2007, 06:20 PM
What don't they like?

Iowa gets alot of farm subsides to the corp farms, also ive heard from many Iowans is that they lean democrat, even when they vote republican. In other words, they pick the most liberal republican when it comes to economic issues. Apparently getting rid of half of the federal government scares the crap out of most Iowans.

AlexMerced
12-01-2007, 06:21 PM
Huck does have motivated supporters, it's why he's the only real threat, let the games begin, we can do this. 3rd place will keep us strong, 2nd place will make us a shoe in.

I agree, I don't expect Huckabee to lose Iowa, if he does though, he's done. Iowa is like a gimme for him, more so than NH for us. We MUST WIN NH

rich34
12-01-2007, 06:23 PM
To you people that live in Iowa has there been any negative campaigning going on against Huckabee yet? I thought for sure Mitt would have done started exposing him by now.

ProfNo
12-01-2007, 06:23 PM
Iowa WILL go to Huck (If this doesn't happen I will probably die), but we could easily come in third or second. WE MUST COME IN THIRD OR BETTER.

Agreed. A top there finish would be great, and could definitely give momentum to win NH (which Huck should loose) and 2nd place finish would, in my opinion, be a win for Ron Paul.

AlexMerced
12-01-2007, 06:25 PM
the best thing about it, is a 2nd place Paul finish would probably overshadow a 1st place huckabee in the media.

ProfNo
12-01-2007, 06:27 PM
To you people that live in Iowa has there been any negative campaigning going on against Huckabee yet? I thought for sure Mitt would have done started exposing him by now.

This is a good point. The negative campaigning between Mitt and Huck (who both will not give up Iowa without a fight) is going to be great. They are both completely unprincipled, and will tear each other apart.

wgadget
12-01-2007, 06:29 PM
I met a lady from Iowa while I was slimjimming two weeks ago, and when I asked her about politics in Iowa she told me the people in Iowa just don't get into politics. She said that at that point in time, nobody cared.

Let's hope that only 5% of their voters actually show up, and that 90% of those are RP supporters.

ProfNo
12-01-2007, 06:34 PM
the best thing about it, is a 2nd place Paul finish would probably overshadow a 1st place huckabee in the media.

Agreed. A second place finish would blow everyones socks off (including me if I am honest). I think third place is more feasible (although, we should of course push for as high as we can get), with Huck first and Mitt second. Of course, this would still be a coup de grace for Mitt---it will destroy him. And, if Huck looses in New Hampshire (which he should, and I think will) and Ron Paul wins, it will give a chance at success. To be honest, I think that his scenario is our only chance---to three in Iowa and a win in NH.

AlexMerced
12-01-2007, 06:47 PM
Agreed. A second place finish would blow everyones socks off (including me if I am honest). I think third place is more feasible (although, we should of course push for as high as we can get), with Huck first and Mitt second. Of course, this would still be a coup de grace for Mitt---it will destroy him. And, if Huck looses in New Hampshire (which he should, and I think will) and Ron Paul wins, it will give a chance at success. To be honest, I think that his scenario is our only chance---to three in Iowa and a win in NH.

If your honest?

Anyways, that is the winning combination, though we can continue on with soley a 2nd/3rd showing in NH, but it be very hard. A first place showing in Vriginia is now possibility. We are also doing very well in SC and NV so we got some heavy early primary potential although a good showing in Iowa would gaurantee us first tier status.

As far as turnout, Mitt will not give up without a fight, he will have buses, lots of buses and incentives like he did for the straw poll, he's good at buying votes.

ProfNo
12-01-2007, 06:54 PM
If your honest?

:) If I am honest with myself. I would love to believe that Ron Paul will sweep every state and that the revolution will blow everything away (I, for one, cannot understand how anyone could vote for any other candidate), but the reality is this is going to be a very hard fight and the chance of success is still very low. The point is that we cannot allow ourself to become deluded.

V-rod
12-01-2007, 07:27 PM
Yesterday I heard one MSM commentator, who isn't exactly Pro-Paul, mention seeing more Ron Paul yard signs than any others. So maybe the city your in doesn't care about Republicans or any politician in general. Shouldn't give up hope in Iowa yet, Ron Paul can still win it. Polls mean squat.

Nate
12-01-2007, 07:28 PM
As far as turnout, Mitt will not give up without a fight, he will have buses, lots of buses and incentives like he did for the straw poll, he's good at buying votes.

Why don't we start a chip-in to rent a fleet of vans to shuttle our own people to the caucus? We could have volunteers drive them. Time to start fighting fire with fire. We have more volunteers and more potential donors than Willard. Why are we still acting like Willard can outspend us and outorganize us?

AlexMerced
12-01-2007, 07:30 PM
We should, at least encourage people to car pool and reach out to other supporters for transpotation

Paulitician
12-01-2007, 07:33 PM
This does not sound good. If we don't get at least 3rd place in Iowa, the campaign will turn to be an utter joke. All the anti-Ron Paul people will become vindicated.

Nate
12-01-2007, 07:39 PM
We should, at least encourage people to car pool and reach out to other supporters for transpotation

We could start a website for people to find carpools in their area. Potential drivers could post what areas they could cover and let those in need of rides contact them directly.

Eric21ND
12-01-2007, 07:43 PM
Why don't we start a chip-in to rent a fleet of vans to shuttle our own people to the caucus? We could have volunteers drive them. Time to start fighting fire with fire. We have more volunteers and more potential donors than Willard. Why are we still acting like Willard can outspend us and outorganize us?

I've been saying and urging this for a LONG time now. The grassroots we do amazing things, but we often leave it till the last min to get on the ball and organize the effort. An example of that is the Iowa straw poll and lately the WV delegate mad dash. I wish we could work out the kinks like several weeks in advance instead of 2 days.

literatim
12-01-2007, 07:45 PM
I've been saying and urging this for a LONG time now. The grassroots we do amazing things, but we often leave it till the last min to get on the ball and organize the effort. An example of that is the Iowa straw poll and lately the WV delegate mad dash. I wish we could work out the kinks like several weeks in advance instead of 2 days.

We are basically trying to compensate for the complete ineptness of the official campaign.

Liberty
12-01-2007, 07:50 PM
Cedar Rapids is the second largest city in Iowa. The part of this thread regarding Cedar Rapids is very disappointing. Whatever it takes, let's get some signs up.

Nate
12-01-2007, 07:53 PM

We need a website for this. RonPaulsRides4Iowa or something like that. Lets start it now. We could have vans and carpools. Maybe even schoolbuses if needed. Let people go to the website and sign up.

AlexMerced
12-01-2007, 07:53 PM
Well, somebody make a website, I'm sure Trevor would love to do it, but everyone has been harsh to the guy. I think people better perk up before we lose an awesome resource that is Trevor.

Johnnybags
12-01-2007, 07:55 PM
tell em Paul will open up trade with Cuba and they'll sell tons of farm products there. If we can send em to China why not Cuba. Then Cuba can send in sugar based ethanol for their trucks instead of expensive corn based.

Eric21ND
12-01-2007, 07:56 PM
We are basically trying to compensate for the complete ineptness of the official campaign.

Cheers to that. I just can't believe the organization is THAT bad in such an important state such as Iowa. What is the campaign doing down there? What are the meetups doing? Is anyone canvasing materials yet?

Mauiboy86
12-01-2007, 07:57 PM
McCain is in Charleston SC this week, I went out and put up RP signs where ever I saw a McCain sign. I even went to Seabrook Island where he was having a rally and put up signs in front of his supporters.
The city of Charleston has a mission to take down every Ron Paul sign on Public Property ASAP. It is a good thing we have 1000's more to put up in place of every one they take down!

AlexMerced
12-01-2007, 07:59 PM
we need to use a lazer to Zap Ron Paul into the Moon

RockEnds
12-01-2007, 08:03 PM
In this video http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-732873253563559056, at about 4 minutes 20 seconds, you can see the size of a precinct. The state is divided into 1784 precincts. Each precinct holds its caucus at 7pm on Jan 3. If you ran busses, you would need 1784 busses. In the rural areas, the precincts are larger, but it's not as if you must move people across the state to vote as was the case with the Ames Straw Poll. Caucus sites are within driving distance of the voters. It's easy enough to lend a ride to anyone who is willing to vote but without transportation.

mrd
12-01-2007, 08:03 PM
Have you seen http://www.freewayblogger.com/ ? He places large, white signs with large, black text in high traffic areas. He uses witty quips to make succinct but powerful points.

http://www.freewayblogger.com/index_files/crenshaw10.jpg http://www.freewayblogger.com/index_files/qa250.jpg

I highly suggest this technique, to bolster Ron's message. An example of a series of messages along a road:

No WMDs were found. None.
Saddam was enemies with Al-Qaeda.
Occupation of Iraq is #1 cause of terror today.
80,000: Confirmed Iraqi civilian deaths. 600,000-1,200,000: Estimated total civilian deaths.
3,882: US soldier deaths.
Last year, CEOs of the top 6 defense contractors earned $100,000,000.
The media is deceiving you.
Google Ron Paul.

coffeewithchess
12-01-2007, 08:28 PM

Seems to be most of America...:D

williameis
12-01-2007, 08:29 PM
I don't think a ride carpool/bus site is needed. Everyone in Iowa has a car...this isn't a big city where you can walk to a store or restaurant. At most I would suggest encouraging Iowans to use the ride share stuff craigslist. But I duno, maybe it would be a good motivational tool to make sure no one gets cold feet at the last minute.

I'm going to get signs up in Cedar Rapids one way or another. At the very latest I'll do a 3am raid with them on the 17th to go along with any news about the tea party.

I think the current national campaign lit drop material sucks. It looks like it is made for people who normally go to the caucus, but is not good for the general public. Ron Paul has got different views and he should highlight them with a matrix that has top Republican & Democrat candidates on the left, and issues across the top. He would shine through! I would love to be working on the national campaign... there are so many simple things they need to fix.

Nefertiti
12-01-2007, 08:39 PM
Jeff Frazee is trying to organize 150 college students to descend on Iowa for a week to campaign 12 hours a day. If you are a student, you should try to help out if you can. You will have to pay your way to Iowa but they are promising to put you up and feed you for the week.

I'm not convinced we can win Iowa but I also think if we don't it will energize Ron Paul supporters to work even harder to win NH because Ron Paul supporters really want him to win badly.

noztnac
12-01-2007, 08:40 PM
Put flyers up at ATMs.

sirachman
12-01-2007, 08:42 PM
there is practically no signage at all in kansas from what i have seen :( however i guess the kansas primary doesnt matter much :/

TechnoGuyRob
12-01-2007, 08:45 PM
there is practically no signage at all in kansas from what i have seen :( however i guess the kansas primary doesnt matter much :/

YES! IT DOES! People who see signs are likely to look Ron Paul up, donate, and tell their out-of-state friends!!!

transistor
12-01-2007, 08:55 PM
i've only seen 2 ron paul bumper stickers in south dakota in the last 7 months. one was an out of state van

there are no signs here either. i'm sure iowa isn't much different

AlexMerced
12-01-2007, 09:01 PM
YES! IT DOES! People who see signs are likely to look Ron Paul up, donate, and tell their out-of-state friends!!!

I totally forgot Kansas existed, no ones mentioned it all since I've been following Paul

Cindy
12-01-2007, 09:07 PM
In my area (Fl.)I saw zero signs. None for anyone. I was jealous of all of the youtube videos showing signs plastered everywhere in other peoples towns and hearing the stories of people who say they see Paul signs everywhere.

I decided to be the change I wish to see, and ordered 175 signs. Got 25 up, still waiting on the rest I ordered on the 5th. Anyway, now my area is becoming Ron Paulized and I love driving around my streets now. It finally feels made right!!!:)

Be the change you wish to see;).

ScotTX
12-01-2007, 09:11 PM
If you guys aren't seeing any signs, get off your asses and make some and hang them around town like the rest of us do! Dr. Paul is busting his butt for us. What have you done for him today? Get to work people!

CoreyBowen999
12-01-2007, 09:12 PM
In Texas..
Only Presidential Signs I've ever seen were..

In 2004-Bush (ALOT OF SIGNS!)
In 2008- only 1 Romney sign and no others

beobeli
12-01-2007, 09:13 PM
Here in Pittsburgh we've just mailed 420 pieces to independent Iowa voters. We personalized the letter, compiled and included a DVD ("best of youtube" selections), labeled the DVD "Ron Paul 2008: Discover & Imagine", included home-grown biz-card on Ron's record. Each volunteer (there were 14 of us) hand-wrote a personal "thank you" note on a colorful post-it sticky which was pasted to the letter. Many volunteers left their personal phone numbers and emails urging recipients to call and discuss the issues further. (Got to love grassroots.)

Iowans are smart. It's not all about corn and ethanol. What is that good for if you won't have a country, stable currency, free markets.

Economy of Ron Paul's congressional district vs. economy of Iowa

The 14th District (Texas) is home to a rich diversity of economic interests. From the rice farmers along the coast, to ranchers and cotton growers inland, from small businesses to oil producers, the district represents not only a cross-section of our economy, but is vital to the nation.

Iowa Economy: The deep, porous soil yields corn and other grains in tremendous quantities, and the corn-fed hogs and cattle are nationally known. In 1997, Iowa led the nation in the production of corn, soybeans, hogs, and pigs, and ranked in the top 10 in the raising of cattle. Other major crops are hay and oats. Iowa has in recent years taken in the second highest farm income of any state.

Agriculture also benefits the state's chief industry, food processing, and in Sioux City and Cedar Rapids many factories process farm products. Nonelectrical machinery, farm machinery, tires, appliances, electronic equipment, and chemicals are among the other manufactures. Cement is the most important mineral product; others are stone, sand, gravel, and gypsum. Mineral production is small, however. Communications, finance, and insurance industries are especially important in Des Moines
...from http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/us/A0858885.html

Ron Paul actually does represent farmers.

BUT CHECK OUT WHAT HISTORICALLY CAN HURT IOWA ECONOMY
...from http://www.city-data.com/states/Iowa-Economy.html

Iowa's economy is based on agriculture. Although the value of the state's manufactures exceeds the value of its farm production, manufacturing is basically farm-centered. The major industries are food processing and the manufacture of agriculture-related products, such as farm machinery.

Periodic recessions—and especially the Great Depression of the 1930s—have afflicted Iowa farmers and adversely affected the state's entire economy. But technological progress in agriculture and the proliferation of manufacturing industries have enabled Iowans to enjoy general prosperity since World War II. Because the state's population is scattered, the growth of light manufacturing has extended to hundreds of towns and cities.

In the late 1970s, the state's major economic problem was inflation, which boosted the cost of farm equipment and fertilizers. In the early 1980s, high interest rates and falling land prices created serious economic difficulties for farmers and contributed to the continuing decline of the farm population. By 1992, the state had recovered, but annual growth rates remained comparatively low. At the end of the 20th century, growth rates accelerated somewhat (from 1.7% in 1998 to 3% in 1999 to 4.8% in 2000), but then fell to 1.4% in the national recession of 2001. The recession's impact on Iowa's unemployment rate was relatively mild, as the increase peaked at 4.4% in January 2002, and then fell to 3.9% by the end of the year. From 1997 to 2001, manufacturing output decreased almost every year in both absolute and relative terms, declining 5.7% in absolute terms across these five years, and, as a share of total state output, from about 25% in 1997 to 21% of the total in 200.1. During the same period, output from general services increased 28.6%, from financial services, 24.4%; from the transportation and utilities sector, 23.7%, and from the government sector, 21.6%. Performance in Iowa's agricultural sector was positive in 2002 largely because Iowa escaped the drought that was hampering output in other states and the prices received by Iowa farmers.

Iowa's gross state product in 2001 was 30th largest among the states at $90.9 billion, to which manufacturing contributed $19.1 billion; general services$16.2 billion; financial services, $14.6 billion; trade, $14.5 billion; government, 21.6% and transportation and public utilities, $7.6 billion. The public sector constituted 12.4% of gross state product in 2001.

----------------

Recession and inflation is very bad for Iowa (dah!). JUST LIKE RON PAUL'S PROGRAMS ARE GOOD FOR AMERICA, THEY ARE ALSO GOOD FOR IOWA. Corn subsidies are just another "smoke screen" to take Iowans for a spin just like other federal entitlements spin root-cause problems for the rest of America.

By the way Iowa's state motto is:
Our Liberties We Prize and Our Rights We Will Maintain

Wake up Iowa! Wake up America! Free and Strong.

ronpaulfollower999
12-01-2007, 09:20 PM
In South Florida I've seen 3 Ron Paul signs (not including mine), and a sign wave for RP next to I-95. Nothing else from the other candidates.

Ethek
12-01-2007, 09:27 PM
In my area (Fl.)I saw zero signs. None for anyone. I was jealous of all of the youtube videos showing signs plastered everywhere in other peoples towns and hearing the stories of people who say they see Paul signs everywhere.

I decided to be the change I wish to see, and ordered 175 signs. Got 25 up, still waiting on the rest I ordered on the 5th. Anyway, now my area is becoming Ron Paulized and I love driving around my streets now. It finally feels made right!!!:)

Be the change you wish to see;).

Where did you order your signs from?

AlexMerced
12-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Ohio is pretty dry, I'm doing what I can with my very limited resources

Vendico
12-01-2007, 09:33 PM
any other forums we can post on that people from that state frequent?

Mastiff
12-01-2007, 09:40 PM
I'm in Cedar Rapids. I've provided 6 or 8 signs that I know people have up, and I've seen maybe 4-5 more. One, amazingly, is in a yard with two "Proud to be union" signs. Go figure.

There's a fair amount of technology and tech professionals in Cedar Rapids, and many of those people are receptive. The 2nd Amendment message is a winner. On the downside we have a lot of very heavily religious people and union types.

In the end, most people are probably just tuned out. They care more about football. The plus of this is that we can get relatively high turnout. People may like Huck in theory but not bother to go to the caucus.

fortilite
12-01-2007, 09:42 PM
If you don't see signs / bumper stickers in YOUR town / city, MAKE it happen. Order 500 bumper stickers (http://www.ronpaulgrassrootshq.com/store/ron-paul-2008-stickers-and-decals.html), make a 2x4 or 2x3 sign that says "Free Ron Paul bumper stickesr!" and stand on a street side with it (one where they can pull over with out crash risk). Make contacts, give some of the stickers to your contacts to distribute, etc. Just get in the mentality that it won't happen unless you make it happen.

Paulitician
12-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Huck needs to be exposed there! Also, Ron Paul needs to bombard the state with smart advertising as well as being there on the ground. NH is important, but if you don't get at least 3rd in Iowa, it will mean absolutely little in the end.

Vendico
12-01-2007, 09:49 PM
Call local radio stations too.

me3
12-01-2007, 10:07 PM
Letters to the editor. Craigs list.