PDA

View Full Version : WV-Cops fan out for manhunt. Fail to find suspect, but manage to kill woman's beagle

Anti Federalist
06-26-2014, 06:19 PM
WV State Troopers Kill Dog During Manhunt

Reported by:Chris Williams
Reported: Jun. 25, 2014 6:21 PM EDT
Updated: Jun. 25, 2014 6:52 PM EDT

http://www.wchstv.com/newsroom/eyewitness/140625_26088.shtml

Police spent much of Tuesday searching for a fugitive.

During the search West Virginia State Troopers and the Mason County Sheriff's Department said they had to shoot and kill a woman's dog.

Police spent almost 12 hours searching for Johnathon Jeffers, but with no luck. At one point during the search, police came out of the woods and onto Ginger Sweats’ property in Mason County. She has no ties to Jeffers, but was immediately caught up in the search when officers said they had to fire their guns.

Accompanied by the dog she has left, Sweat was still trying to come to terms with the loss of her beagle mix, Willy Pete. On Tuesday, police were searching the area where Sweat lives for a man who they said shot at them.

Sweat just happens to live in the search area, about seven miles outside of Milton. She said during the search, West Virginia State Troopers and Mason County Sheriff's Deputies came out of the woods onto her front yard, and that's when they shot her dog four times.

"The first time he tried to run. I don't think it hit him," she said. "They still continued to shoot him, and he eventually ran around to the side of my house, died and collapsed by my air conditioner."

Sweat said Willy Pete was her best friend, and that she tried to tell officers that the dog wasn't going to hurt anyone.

However, West Virginia State Police Lieutenant Michael Baylous said the dog was a threat, and troopers did what they are trained to do.

"Try to avoid it, if possible, but the trooper who fired the shots, it's my understanding, waited until the very last second to fire that shot, in hopes that that animal would retreat," Baylous said.

(Oh, shut the fuck up, asshole. - AF)

The dog was sitting on a porch in the front of her house when the troopers came onto her property. Police said the dog started coming toward them. Sweat said the dog wasn't aggressive, but police said he was, and that they had to shoot.

"Many of us are dog lovers, but when it comes down to it, you absolutely have to put more value on the human life side of the equation than the side of the animal," Baylous said.

Troopers buried the dog behind the house. Sweat said her dog got her through a lot, and she is going to miss Willy Pete. She hopes that troopers think twice next time, before shooting an animal.

"I hit my knees when it happened, and begged the officer to do something," she said. "That was my best friend."

presence
06-26-2014, 06:30 PM
A beagle?

WTF?

They're friggin' lap dogs.

http://stjent.pinnaclecart.com/images/products/preview/59302.jpg

http://theineptowl.com/images/articles/beagle.jpg

http://images.idakoos.com/B0300TC2BL0000023990606060023WH0000AFA,danger-killer-beagle.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h124/Roscoe_Karns/misc3/releasethe-beagles.jpg

Its a common joke FFS

Cleaner44
06-26-2014, 06:45 PM
Beagle's are 16 inches tall and 25 pounds... tops. This pussy cops was in fear of the equivalent of an 18 month old toddler. Fuckin pussy.

PaulConventionWV
06-26-2014, 06:53 PM
It's just so comical how they think they have to shoot at everything. Even if a freaking beagle was going to attack them, they could've easily sent it away yelping with a good kick.

presence
06-26-2014, 06:57 PM
Beagle's are 16 inches tall and 25 pounds... tops. This pussy cops was in fear of the equivalent of an 18 month old toddler. Fuckin pussy.

um... not even

A sturdy hunting dog, the Beagle should look like a foxhound in miniature.

[]

Must be 15 inches tall or under.

https://www.akc.org/breeds/beagle/index.cfm

Occam's Banana
06-26-2014, 07:44 PM
Snoopy has a LOT more than the Red Baron to worry about now ...

"Many of us are dog lovers, but when it comes down to it, you absolutely have to put more value on the human life side of the equation than the side of the animal," [West Virginia State Police Untersturmführer Michael] Baylous said.

Someone refresh me ... how many human lives have been lost to beagle mixes in ... oh, say ... forever ... ?

[Sweat] hopes that troopers think twice next time, before shooting an animal.

:rolleyes: Never mind "next time" ... what the hell makes her think they even thought once this time?

Anti Federalist
06-26-2014, 07:57 PM
Guys...do not lose sight of what is going on here.

This is not about "pussy" cops...the line that "they felt threatened" is just that, a line...it's bullshit.

They shot the dog because they fucking felt like it, that is it and that is all.

They felt like it and know that nobody is going to do a thing about it, that there was no reasonable expection of any sort of negative consequences, so they shot the dog.

They just got finished getting covered in mud, sweat, stickers, ticks and mosquitos, for nothing, and now some Mundane's yapping pooch is giving them grief.

So they fucking shot it.

Fuck you, that's why.

Cleaner44
06-26-2014, 08:20 PM
Guys...do not lose sight of what is going on here.

This is not about "pussy" cops...the line that "they felt threatened" is just that, a line...it's bullshit.

They shot the dog because they fucking felt like it, that is it and that is all.

They felt like it and know that nobody is going to do a thing about it, that there was no reasonable expection of any sort of negative consequences, so they shot the dog.

They just got finished getting covered in mud, sweat, stickers, ticks and mosquitos, for nothing, and now some Mundane's yapping pooch is giving them grief.

So they fucking shot it.

Fuck you, that's why.

I know you are right. It's not about resisting, it's not about fear for safety, it's all about establishing control and dominance.

Cops want mundanes everyone to think that it is their world and we are just living in it.

alucard13mm
06-26-2014, 08:39 PM
Dont think ive ever heard of beagles killing anyone or even horribly maiming someone.

phill4paul
06-26-2014, 08:46 PM
Dont think ive ever heard of beagles killing anyone or even horribly maiming someone.

The breaking of the skin upon the ankle can lead to disease, infection and loss of life. It happens all the time.

SeanTX
06-26-2014, 08:52 PM
Cops want mundanes everyone to think that it is their world and we are just living in it.

Oh, right now it *is* their world, and they know it.

I saw an example of that this morning downtown , I saw a group of three cars going thru an underpass at about 70-80 mph (speed limit there is 40 I think) , all of them personal vehicles it appeared, headed towards the hero house right around shift change time. I caught a glimpse of a uniform on one, but didn't need to, as soon as I saw them driving like maniacs I knew it had to be cops.

If they had killed a mundane it would have been an "oopsie" or somehow the victim's fault, and if they had killed one or more of themselves there would have been a hero's funeral. I genuinely felt in danger, and was -- from the guys who enforce traffic laws to keep us all "safe." Back to the dog shooting, yes, AF is right, it isn't about the officer's "fear" -- it's about showing the mundanes who's the boss (probably the same thing with the crazy driving) .

limequat
06-27-2014, 11:54 AM
Oh, right now it *is* their world, and they know it.

I saw an example of that this morning downtown , I saw a group of three cars going thru an underpass at about 70-80 mph (speed limit there is 40 I think) , all of them personal vehicles it appeared, headed towards the hero house right around shift change time. I caught a glimpse of a uniform on one, but didn't need to, as soon as I saw them driving like maniacs I knew it had to be cops.

If they had killed a mundane it would have been an "oopsie" or somehow the victim's fault, and if they had killed one or more of themselves there would have been a hero's funeral. I genuinely felt in danger, and was -- from the guys who enforce traffic laws to keep us all "safe." Back to the dog shooting, yes, AF is right, it isn't about the officer's "fear" -- it's about showing the mundanes who's the boss (probably the same thing with the crazy driving) .

Had to go to county clerk to sign up as a precinct delegate. The police stations was in the same building.
There was some construction going on that blocked a convenient parking lot exit. To avoid a traffic light, a lifted Jeep Wrangler was traversing the county clerk lawn driving around construction barriers. Yup. Uniform still on.

presence
06-27-2014, 12:06 PM
Snoopy has a LOT more than the Red Baron to worry about now ...

Someone refresh me ... how many human lives have been lost to beagle mixes in ... oh, say ... forever ... ?

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/p320x320/10154205_264213277100111_3082524006292886078_n.png

Cissy
06-27-2014, 12:43 PM

It's not fear.

It's a desire to control, to be feared, and to harm or kill.

presence
06-27-2014, 12:49 PM
It's not fear.

It's a desire to control, to be feared, and to harm or kill.

that's right...

"F*** THE BIRD !!!" (http://www.policestateusa.com/2013/nypd-evelyn-lugo-parakeet/)

jllundqu
06-27-2014, 01:10 PM
A beagle. Cop shot a Beagle? What's next hampsters?

"Tonight at 11, police were forced to defend themselves against an 8yr old's ferocious pet hampster. Police served a no-knock warrant at the wrong house, again, and claimed "it had to be done, because, officer safety." Internal reports claim the officers entered the 8yr old boys room and the hampster, while caged, failed to obey police commands to 'put his hands up' and were subsequently forced to shoot. Little Johnny came home from school to find a bloody grease spot where his hampster, Fillmore, had once called home. Police Chief Himmler was quoted, "Our officers acted in accordance with their training and were well within their rights to defend themselves. We are conducting an internal investigation into the matter and the officers in question will be sent on a paid vacation to the bahamas in the meantime, because, fuck you."

presence
06-27-2014, 01:20 PM
A beagle. Cop shot a Beagle? What's next hampsters?

Nah I think they're cool with hamsters

http://www.military.com/video/law-enforcement/police/russian-cop-vs-singing-hamster/2235671307001/

oops... never mind:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2319391/Police-dog-ate-pet-hamster-raid-mans-home.html
A police dog ate a hamster during a drug raid

sam1952
06-27-2014, 02:03 PM
honestly, a beagle??? a kick would more than handle one. Don't these officers carry mace. I've been on enough Internet forums reading about whats best for a bear attack. Bear spray seems chosen by many. I think I'd feel safer macing a dog if i truly felt threatened.

But maybe that's not what it's all about......

Cissy
06-27-2014, 03:10 PM
honestly, a beagle??? a kick would more than handle one. Don't these officers carry mace. I've been on enough Internet forums reading about whats best for a bear attack. Bear spray seems chosen by many. I think I'd feel safer macing a dog if i truly felt threatened.

But maybe that's not what it's all about......

"The State is god and the Police Officer is its Prophet."

---Police-Can-Do-No-Wrong-Worshipper

Yahweh, forgive them for worshiping mere men and open their eyes before it is too late.

Lucille
06-27-2014, 03:13 PM
It was actually running away from them, and they still killed it.

Cops Shot at Retreating Arthritic Dog Toward House Filled with Children: Business as Usual
http://reason.com/blog/2014/06/27/cops-shot-at-retreating-arthritic-dog-to

[Ginger Sweat's] 6-year-old Basset hound/beagle mix, Willy Pete, left the porch and made his way toward the troopers. The dog, she said, suffered from arthritis in his back legs and was not aggressive...

Sweat said she was still inside when she saw the trooper raise a weapon at her dog.

“I ran out my door, jumping up and down screaming ‘don’t shoot my dog, he won’t bite, just let me get him in the house,’” she said.

She said the officer fired one shot toward the dog but missed. She said Willy Pete turned tail and was running back toward her.

“He ran towards me with desperation in his eyes,” she said. “They fired again in my direction. In the direction of my home where my kids were.”

She said three more shots were fired, a total of four shots. Willy Pete, she said, was hit three times. The dog went to the back of the mobile home. Sweat said she found the dog near the air conditioning unit.

“I watched my dog struggle and then die,” she said. “I collapsed in a puddle in the floor, screaming and crying."

The police would rather not talk about this, and would you all just calm the hell down, huh? We only shot a dog, for crying out loud!

Lt. Michael Baylous, State Police spokesman, said troopers sometimes will inform the public in similar situations with a media burst or by going door to door, but that it was his understanding there was no time for that in Tuesday’s case.

Baylous said officers still are searching for [Jonathan] Jeffers [the suspect they were pursuing]. He declined comment on the shooting of the dog.

“It’s counterproductive and it’s only serving to fan the tension,” Baylous said. “We have had several people responding to us in a very irrational way and we feel that it’s counterproductive to comment further.”

limequat
06-27-2014, 03:37 PM
There oughtta be a law...

No I'm serious. Dog killing by a public employee is now a capital offense. Public execution by firing squad. Of pellet guns.
That'd be fun to get on the ballot.

SeanTX
06-27-2014, 04:05 PM

Kind of like the SWAT team in Maryland did with one of Mayor Calvo's black labs -- it was running off down the street in terror and a SWAT team Hero chased it down and shot it.

Then Sheriff Jackson turned around and said "If I had it all to do over again, I'd do the same thing tonight -- fuck you!" . Well, he didn't say the f-u, but may as well have ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berwyn_Heights,_Maryland_mayor%27s_residence_drug_ raid

Anti Federalist
06-27-2014, 05:02 PM
“It’s counterproductive and it’s only serving to fan the tension,” Baylous said. “We have had several people responding to us in a very irrational way and we feel that it’s counterproductive to comment further.”

I'll remember that the next time some jackass shoots one of you in the face while eating pizza.

presence
06-27-2014, 05:17 PM
I'll remember that the next time some jackass shoots one of you in the face while eating pizza.

http://www.idolol.com/pictures/8f56c8128d33a76cd6b2bcd4228249bc.jpg

osan
06-27-2014, 05:29 PM
What limp-wristed, candy-ass, ***-0, girly-sissy-men. They are criminals.

There are endless miles of abandoned mining roads where the bodies of such people would likely never be found.

Jus'sayin'...

Seriously, when will it be enough?

Anti Federalist
06-27-2014, 05:41 PM
“He ran towards me with desperation in his eyes,” she said. “They fired again in my direction. In the direction of my home where my kids were.”

Anti Federalist
06-27-2014, 09:37 PM

Cops Shot at Retreating Arthritic Dog Toward House Filled with Children: Business as Usual
http://reason.com/blog/2014/06/27/cops-shot-at-retreating-arthritic-dog-to

When I first spotted this story, I thought it would turn out to be worse than first reported.

I was right...

James Madison
06-27-2014, 10:42 PM
Facebook page to show your support for the family.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Justice-for-Willy-Pete/939321142759480

James Madison
06-27-2014, 10:45 PM
This is why I plan on owning a Siberian Tiger. Go on, pigs, make my day.

Cissy
06-28-2014, 08:47 AM
This is why I plan on owning a Siberian Tiger. Go on, pigs, make my day.

http://assets.amuniversal.com/cbadc520deb701317193005056a9545d

Anti Federalist
06-29-2014, 05:37 PM
Dead Beagle Bump.

presence
06-29-2014, 06:49 PM
Dead Beagle Bump.

oh at least add some new content ffs

Jun 28, 2014 7:14 PM EDT

BONITA (CBS 8) - A dog is dead after attacking an off-duty National City police officer.
The incident happened Saturday at the Summit Meadows Campground (https://goo.gl/maps/ATafw) in Bonita.
Witnesses say the officer was walking his small dog on a leash when a larger dog got loose and charged at them.
That's when the officer drew his gun and fired.
"The National City Police Department officer, off-duty, grabbed his off-duty weapon and fired several rounds at the dog, striking it and causing the dog to retreat," said SDSO Sgt. Fred Magana.
The dog collapsed and was taken to the animal shelter where it later died.
http://www.cbs8.com/story/25896157/dog-shot-by-off-duty-national-city-police-officer

Anti Federalist
07-01-2014, 09:24 AM
Who do we believe?

State Police release lengthy statement on shooting of family’s dog

http://www.charlestondailymail.com/article/20140630/DM01/140639947/1277

State Police apologized for shooting a Mason County family’s dog but insisted the dog was behaving aggressively during a manhunt near the family’s home.

A spokesman had initially said he would not comment on the matter, citing “irrational” comments made by the public.

State Police conducted an internal investigation following the June 24 incident. Such investigations are standard procedure after force is used.

Troopers’ conduct came under fire last week when Ginger Sweat, a 32-year-old Mason County mother of two, said a trooper fired at her dog and in her direction on June 24. She said her dog, a 6-year-old arthritic beagle-basset hound mix named Willy Pete, had been on her porch all morning while a number of police cars sped by on the normally quiet road. She said he left the porch when troopers came out of the woods with a police dog on a leash. Sweat said she’d been inside her home when she saw an officer raise a weapon toward her dog and ran outside to stop them.

“I ran out my door, jumping up and down screaming ‘don’t shoot my dog, he won’t bite, just let me get him in the house,’” she said last week.

Sweat told the Daily Mail Willy Pete turned and ran back toward her after the officer fired a shot at the dog and missed. She said the officer, identified in Monday’s statement from State Police as Sgt. S.T. Harper, fired three more times as the dog ran from him.

She said Willy Pete was hit three times and died behind her home near an air conditioning unit.She was upset over the death of the beloved family pet, but more so because officers fired near her home where her two infants were sleeping and because she had no notification that officers were in the area.

A lengthy statement from State Police described the incident differently.

“The West Virginia State Police is extremely sorry for the loss of Willie Pete’s life and the loss sustained by his family,” the statement said.The statement, sent to the Daily Mail by Lt. Michael Baylous, State Police spokesman, said troopers with the Special Response Team were searching the area for Jonathan Jeffers, who allegedly threatened his wife and fired multiple shots at Mason Deputy M.L. Stewart before fleeing.

Jeffers fled to a relative’s home on Kansas Lane but left before officers arrived. Family members told officers Jeffers said he wouldn’t be taken alive and that he would kill the officers searching for him before he would be arrested.

Troopers searched the area around the relatives’ home using a leashed police dog, K-9 Diego, to track Jeffers and eventually came to an ATV path that Jeffers may have used.

The path led them back to Kansas Lane and directly in front of the Sweat home. According to the statement, officers were walking out onto the road when a small beagle came out of the weeds and tried to bite Diego. The police dog barked at the other dog, sending it running back toward the Sweat home, but then another dog appeared.

“A very large white and brown dog weighing nearly 100 pounds, now known as Willie Pete, charged from behind the residence toward the members of the WVSP SRT team who were in the road,” the statement said. “Mrs. Sweat came out on her porch and took the beagle inside, Sgt. Harper yelled at Mrs. Sweat to get her dog on two occasions as Willie Pete advanced in an aggressive manner.

”Troopers said Willy Pete “growled and bared his teeth” as he continued toward Diego while Ginger Sweat was putting the smaller dog in the house. Harper moved to stand between the two dogs and tried to “thwart Willie Pete’s aggression by body blocking him” from Diego and kicking gravel toward the dog.

“Finally, when Willie Pete was within 10 feet of K-9 Diego and approximately five feet from Sgt. Harper and still advancing, Sgt. Harper shot him three times,” according to the statement. “The dog continued acting aggressively after the first two shots requiring Sgt Harper to shoot a third time.”Harper has been a member of the State Police’s K-9 Unit for 14 years, the first 12 of which he spent as a handler. He has spent the last two years in the unit as a K-9 instructor.

The statement said Harper, who has been around dogs all of his life and works with the animals daily as a handler and dog owner, is “well-versed” in canine body language and canine behavior.

“Based upon his observations that Willie Pete’s hackles were raised, he was growling and his teeth were barred as well as the fact the dog could not be deterred by two other means of non-lethal force from advancing toward K-9 Officer Diego and the WVSP SRT members, Sgt. Harper made the decision to shoot the dog,” the statement said.

Troopers said all three shots were fired when Willy Pete was between four and six feet from Harper and that the trooper fired at a “sharp downward angle” due to the proximity of the dog and “therefore was not firing toward any of the residences or people.”The statement said evidence showed the shooting occurred while the dog was in the road. Troopers said the dog ran behind the mobile home after the third shot and died.

“After apologizing to Mr. and Mrs. Sweat for having to kill their dog, the officers assisted the family by helping them bury Willie Pete,” according to the statement.

The Kanawha-Charleston Humane Association provided State Police a voucher for the Sweat family to use to adopt a dog from the shelter. The voucher is good for a dog that would be sterilized and given its initial vaccinations and a rabies shot.

Jeffers, a felon who is considered armed and dangerous, remains at large.

Philhelm
07-01-2014, 09:40 AM
Jeffers, a felon who is considered armed and dangerous, remains at large.

Jeffers, if you are reading this, do not get caught. Look at what these madmen did to the dog, and think about what they would do to you.

limequat
07-01-2014, 09:42 AM
'“A very large white and brown dog weighing nearly 100 pounds, now known as Willie Pete, charged from behind the residence toward the members of the WVSP SRT team who were in the road,” the statement said. “Mrs. Sweat came out on her porch and took the beagle inside...'

That has got to be the largest beagle on record. Poor cop musta thought it was a coyote!

"Jeffers, a felon who is considered armed and dangerous, remains at large. "

lol

libertyjam
07-01-2014, 10:07 AM
'“
That has got to be the largest beagle on record. Poor cop musta thought it was a coyote!

lol

Coyotes do not even get half that big usually, 50 lbs would be very large for a coyote.

limequat
07-01-2014, 10:09 AM
Coyotes do not even get half that big usually, 50 lbs would be very large for a coyote.

Then you can imagine his terror!

phill4paul
07-01-2014, 10:11 AM
Then you can imagine his terror!

Probably thought it was a cow.

sam1952
07-01-2014, 10:32 AM
Maybe I'm just dim... Mailmen, meter readers, ups/fedx guys all in-counter dogs on a daily basis. Seems I remember dog spray hanging from the mailman's bags as he walked the neighborhood. All these people come across aggressive dogs daily and deal with it.

And the officer was part of the K-9 unit?

SeanTX
07-01-2014, 10:45 AM
And the officer was part of the K-9 unit?

They treat their own K9 "partners" just as badly as they do mundane's dogs -- beating and kicking them to death during training, "forgetting" them in hot vehicles, etc. A while back one shot his own K9 during a trip to the vet because it was acting up (gee, imagine an abused animal misbehaving) ...

However, if a mundane kills a K9 "officer" in self-defense then they will have an elaborate funeral for it, and act like they cared about it so much. And the mundane gets charged with a felony.

phill4paul
07-01-2014, 11:03 AM
They treat their own K9 "partners" just as badly as they do mundane's dogs -- beating and kicking them to death during training, "forgetting" them in hot vehicles, etc. A while back one shot his own K9 during a trip to the vet because it was acting up (gee, imagine an abused animal misbehaving) ...

However, if a mundane kills a K9 "officer" in self-defense then they will have an elaborate funeral for it, and act like they cared about it so much. And the mundane gets charged with a felony.

Oldie but relevant....

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?370322-Trooper-Fired-After-Brutally-hanging-Kicking-Police-Dog-Gets-His-Job-Back-w-back-pay

SeanTX
07-01-2014, 12:24 PM
The WV state police issued a statement about the shooting. The dog was off-leash, violating the leash law (on it's own property) , and they deeply regret "having" to shoot it. Case closed.

Shooter's name is Sgt. S.T. Harper . It's a long read, even snipped, but some interesting creative writing. The trooper was firing at a "downward angle" so nobody in the house was in danger (I guess bullets fired at a downward angle from a few feet away can't ricochet).

http://www.wchstv.com/newsroom/eyewitness/140630_26222.shtml

WVSP Release Detailed Account of Incident Involving Fatal Shooting Of Mason County Pet

Updated: Jun. 30, 2014 8:33 PM EDT

The West Virginia State Police has released a detailed account following an incident involving a family pet that was shot and killed during a manhunt in Mason County.

snip

This is the press release sent out by the WVSP in its entirety:

snip

With this information responding SRT members from the West Virginia State Police began searching for Mr. Jeffers from the location where he had made those threats utilizing WVSP K-9 officer Diego to track Mr. Jeffers. During this portion of the search, the SRT members found an ATV path that they thought Mr. Jeffers may have traveled upon. This path led them to Kansas Lane directly in front of the residence of Ginger and Jeremy Sweat who are relatives of Mr. Jeffers. As they were emerging onto the road from the wooded area a small beagle type dog came out of the weeds and attempted to bite K-9 Diego. Diego began barking at the beagle and it ran toward the Sweat residence.

A very large white and brown dog weighing nearly 100 pounds, now known to be Willie Pete, charged from behind the residence toward the members of the WVSP SRT team who were in the road. Mrs. Sweat came out on her porch and took the beagle inside, Sgt. Harper yelled at Mrs. Sweat to get her dog on two occasions as Willie Pete advanced in an aggressive manner. As Mrs. Sweat was securing the beagle, Willie Pete continued toward K-9 Diego while doing so Willie Pete growled and bared his teeth. Sgt. Harper moved between Willie Pete and K-9 Diego who was on leash. Sgt. Harper attempted to thwart Willie Pete’s aggression by body blocking him from K-9 Diego and by kicking gravel at the dog. Finally, when Willie Pete was within 10 feet of K-9 Diego and approximately five feet from Sgt. Harper and still advancing, Sgt. Harper shot him three times.

The dog continued acting aggressively after the first two shots requiring Sgt. Harper to shoot a third time. The dog then ran back behind the Sweat residence after the third shot. All three shots were fired when the dog was within 4-6 feet of Sgt. Harper. Sgt. Harper was firing at a sharp downward angle due to the dog’s proximity and therefore was not firing toward any of the residences or people. Further, the evidence clearly shows that the Sgt. Harper only fired upon the dog while the dog was in the roadway.

Officers followed the dog behind the house where it had died. After apologizing to Mr. and Mrs. Sweat for having to kill their dog, the officers assisted the family by helping them bury Willie Pete.

snip

There is a leash law in Mason County prohibiting dogs from running at large. At all times during the incident K-9 Officer Diego was on leash.

The West Virginia State Police is extremely sorry for the loss of Willie Pete’s life and the loss sustained by his family.
snip

phill4paul
07-01-2014, 12:33 PM
The WV state police issued a statement about the shooting. The dog was off-leash, violating the leash law (on it's own property) , and they deeply regret "having" to shoot it. Case closed.

Shooter's name is Sgt. S.T. Harper . It's a long read, even snipped, but some interesting creative writing. The trooper was firing at a "downward angle" so nobody in the house was in danger (I guess bullets fired at a downward angle from a few feet away can't ricochet).

Heh, you edited just as I was about to post....

All three shots were fired when the dog was within 4-6 feet of Sgt. Harper. Sgt. Harper was firing at a sharp downward angle due to the dog’s proximity and therefore was not firing toward any of the residences or people. Further, the evidence clearly shows that the Sgt. Harper only fired upon the dog while the dog was in the roadway.

A ricochet (/ˈrɪkəʃeɪ/ rik-ə-shay) is a rebound, bounce or skip off a surface, particularly in the case of a projectile. The possibility of ricochet is one of the reasons for the common firearms safety rule "Never shoot at a flat, hard surface."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricochet

James Madison
07-01-2014, 12:36 PM
Heh, you edited just as I was about to post....

A ricochet (/ˈrɪkəʃeɪ/ rik-ə-shay) is a rebound, bounce or skip off a surface, particularly in the case of a projectile. The possibility of ricochet is one of the reasons for the common firearms safety rule "Never shoot at a flat, hard surface."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricochet

One also has to seriously question their skill as a marksman if it takes three shots to hit a slow-moving beagle at point-blank range.

limequat
07-01-2014, 01:28 PM
One also has to seriously question their skill as a marksman if it takes three shots to hit a slow-moving beagle at point-blank range.

Cops in general, man. It seems like the only requirements for being a cop are 1) being a jerk 2)having poor judgement and 3) having poor aim.

Having a cop saying "I was aiming down" is the sternest admonition I can think of to take cover regardless of one's position. It's not where the cop's aiming, it's that the cop is aiming.