PDA

View Full Version : Mass. Supreme Court Says Defendant Can Be Compelled To Decrypt Data

DamianTV
06-26-2014, 03:29 PM
http://yro.slashdot.org/story/14/06/26/1549232/mass-supreme-court-says-defendant-can-be-compelled-to-decrypt-data

... Security experts have been pounding the drum about the importance of encrypting not just data in transit, but information stored on laptops, phones, and portable drives. But the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court put a dent in that armor on Wednesday, ruling that a criminal defendant could be compelled to decrypt the contents of his laptops. The case centers on a lawyer who was arrested in 2009 for allegedly participating in a mortgage fraud scheme. The defendant, Leon I. Gelfgatt, admitted to Massachusetts state police that he had done work with a company called Baylor Holdings and that he encrypted his communications and the hard drives of all of his computers. He said that he could decrypt the computers seized from his home, but refused to do so. The MJSC, the highest court in Massachusetts, was considering the question of whether the act of entering the password to decrypt the contents of a computer was an act of self-incrimination, thereby violating Gelfgatt's Fifth Amendment

(Source Links not copied)

Unless youre the NSA, or your hard drive "crashes", have a Badge, hold a position of power in Govt, are Rich, "no hablo ingles", well, you get the point...

Anti Federalist
06-26-2014, 03:31 PM
The defendant, Leon I. Gelfgatt, admitted to Massachusetts state police that he had done work with a company called Baylor Holdings and that he encrypted his communications and the hard drives of all of his computers. He said that he could decrypt the computers seized from his home, but refused to do so.

That's where he made his mistake.

"Fuck you, bring my lawyer."

ghengis86
06-26-2014, 03:46 PM

Never ever ever talk to the pigs. Why is this so difficult to understand?!?!?

eduardo89
06-26-2014, 03:51 PM

I think you missed this part:

The case centers on a lawyer who was arrested in 2009 for allegedly participating in a mortgage fraud scheme.

Anti Federalist
06-26-2014, 04:00 PM
I think you missed this part:

Only a fool has himself for a client...

mad cow
06-26-2014, 04:59 PM
He should say that he lost his decryption password in a hard drive crash.

ZENemy
06-26-2014, 05:02 PM
He should say that he lost his decryption password in a hard drive crash.

Yup

presence
06-26-2014, 05:08 PM
WTF is compelled? Like electrodes to the balls?