PDA

View Full Version : New ACLU report takes a snapshot of police militarization in the United States

Anti Federalist
06-24-2014, 10:33 AM
From Balko at WaPo

New ACLU report takes a snapshot of police militarization in the United States

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2014/06/24/new-aclu-report-takes-a-snapshot-of-police-militarization-in-the-united-states/

By Radley Balko June 24 at 9:29 AM 

The American Civil Liberties Union has released the results of its year-long study of police militarization. The study looked at 800 deployments of SWAT teams among 20 local, state and federal police agencies in 2011-2012. Among the notable findings:

•62 percent of the SWAT raids surveyed were to conduct searches for drugs.

•Just under 80 percent were to serve a search warrant, meaning eight in 10 SWAT raids were not initiated to apprehend a school shooter, hostage taker, or escaped felon (the common justification for these tactics), but to investigate someone still only suspected of committing a crime.

•In fact, just 7 percent of SWAT raids were “for hostage, barricade, or active shooter scenarios.”

•In at least 36 percent of the SWAT raids studies, no contraband of any kind was found. The report notes that due to incomplete police reports on these raids this figure could be as high as 65 percent.

•SWAT tactics are disproportionately used on people of color.

•65 percent of SWAT deployments resulted in some sort of forced entry into a private home, by way of a battering ram, boot, or some sort of explosive device. In over half those raids, the police failed to find any sort of weapon, the presence of which was cited as the reason for the violent tactics.

•Ironically (or perhaps not), searches to serve warrants on people suspected of drug crimes were more likely to result in forced entry than raids conducted for other purposes.

•Though often justified for rare incidents like school shootings or terrorist situations, the armored personnel vehicles police departments are getting from the Pentagon and through grants from the Department of Homeland Security are commonly used on drug raids.

In other words, where violent, volatile SWAT tactics were once used only in limited situations where someone was in the process of or about to commit a violent crime — where the police were using violence only to defuse an already violent situation — SWAT teams today are overwhelmingly used to investigate people who are still only suspected of committing nonviolent consensual crimes. And because these raids often involve forced entry into homes, often at night, they’re actually creating violence and confrontation where there was none before.

More at link...

Anti Federalist
06-24-2014, 12:28 PM
The ACLU filed public records requests with more than 255 law enforcement agencies during the course of this investigation. One hundred and fourteen of the agencies denied the ACLU’s request, either in full or in part. Even if the ACLU had received and examined responsive documents from all 255 law enforcement agencies that received public records requests, this would represent only a sliver of the more than 17,000 law enforcement agencies that exist throughout the United States, and thus would shine only a dim light on the extent of police militarization throughout the country.

This, too, is consistent with my own experience. Among the excuses police agencies gave the ACLU for not turning over records were that the requested information “contained trade secrets,” that turning over such information could affect the effectiveness of SWAT teams and that the information requested was too broad, would cost too much to produce or wasn’t subject to open-records law.

In short, we have police departments that are increasingly using violent, confrontational tactics to break into private homes for increasingly low-level crimes, and they seem to believe that the public has no right to know the specifics of when, how and why those tactics are being used.

In short, we have police departments that are increasingly using violent, confrontational tactics to break into private homes for increasingly low-level crimes, and they seem to believe that the public has no right to know the specifics of when, how and why those tactics are being used.

fisharmor
06-24-2014, 12:46 PM
I like the series of videos the ACLU put out.

DamianTV
06-24-2014, 03:08 PM
In fact, just 7 percent of SWAT raids were “for hostage, barricade, or active shooter scenarios.”
More at link...

The application of the "Hammer" is being brought down for the most trivial of offenses. We ARE at the point where SWAT is called for Jaywalking, failure to pick up Dog Poop, and singing "Happy Birthday" in public due to a Copyright Violation. This is becoming an EXTERMINATION. We have just 5% of the worlds population and 25% of the worlds Prison Population. I swear in the very close future ALL Police Encounters will be SWAT, or worse.

SWAT. And we mundanes look like Flies. Lord of the Flies?

Lucille
06-24-2014, 03:39 PM
A one star rating for this thread? Not on my watch, copsucker!

DamianTV
06-24-2014, 03:44 PM

Bumped up to a 4 Star. Could have been a accidental click, but if not, why rate this thread as 1 Star for whoever rated it at 1 Star?

tod evans
06-24-2014, 03:52 PM
4-star from me...

dannno
06-24-2014, 03:52 PM
Bumped up to a 4 Star. Could have been a accidental click, but if not, why rate this thread as 1 Star for whoever rated it at 1 Star?

I dunno my guess is an irrational hatred of the ACLU based on their perceived connection to the left?

tod evans
06-24-2014, 03:54 PM
I'm one who harbors an "irrational hatred of the ACLU " but I'll certainly give credit where it's due.....

And in this particular instance they're due credit.....

Anti Federalist
06-24-2014, 03:57 PM

King-Knows-Nothings' ban is up?

DamianTV
06-24-2014, 04:23 PM
King-Knows-Nothings' ban is up?

Possible. Trying to get back on topic, the problem is that once King-Knows-Nothing actually learns better, which will only happen if it happens directly to them as they learn nothing from witnessing others getting SWAT'ted, it will be far too late. King-Boobus would be the one cheering on the Nazi extermination of Jews, cheering on the Inquisitors, and cheering on the Feds as they ransack the wrong house yet again, flashbang a baby to death, tazer an old man in a diabetic coma, shoot the dog, murder the wife, lobotimize the other kid, destroy the home, and imprison their victim for "resisting arrest", all until they ARE the Jew being exterminated, target of the Inquisitor, or fall into the crosshairs of SWAT with itchy trigger fingers. Boobus does NOT learn because they were taught not to.

Cap
06-24-2014, 04:37 PM
Or the guy who takes ride alongs.

ChristianAnarchist
06-24-2014, 04:53 PM

Ummmm, can it be that after 5 years here I discovered a feature I didn't even know exists?? My first "rating" and it's 5 stars...

Brian4Liberty
06-24-2014, 05:04 PM
How many Wall St. bankers were victims of SWAT raids? How many Fortune 500 CEOs? How many people living in above average neighborhoods?

Supply and demand. Those without demand become worth less, and lose their liberty.

Henry Rogue
06-24-2014, 07:44 PM
Ummmm, can it be that after 5 years here I discovered a feature I didn't even know exists?? My first "rating" and it's 5 stars...
I'm not positive, but I think you have to get over a certain amount of rep to have that feature. I remember a couple of years ago AF mentioned it in a thread and even said where to look for it and I still couldn’t find it, then one day lo and behold there it was.

Henry Rogue
06-24-2014, 07:53 PM
•In at least 36 percent of the SWAT raids studies, no contraband of any kind was found. The report notes that due to incomplete police reports on these raids this figure could be as high as 65 percent.I'm sure "residue" is counted as contraband found, and don't forget raw milk.

phill4paul
06-24-2014, 08:03 PM
•In fact, just 7 percent of SWAT raids were “for hostage, barricade, or active shooter scenarios.”

Their duties include: confronting heavily armed criminals; performing hostage rescue and counter-terrorism operations; high risk arrests; and entering armored or barricaded buildings.

So...93% of the time they are used in situations in which they were not created for. However, mission creep has raged supreme when it comes to SWAT.

Occam's Banana
06-24-2014, 08:20 PM
New ACLU report takes a snapshot of police militarization in the United States

"Snapshot? Here's your snapshot! Now move along, or ah'll thump your head for ya!!" - Officer Friendly

http://images.smh.com.au/2013/04/20/4207656/art-boston-thanks-620x349.jpg

amy31416
06-24-2014, 11:01 PM
Just say no to drugs, kids.

"STOP RESISTING!! STOP RESISTING!!"

I need some sleep.

mrsat_98
06-25-2014, 06:35 AM
I'm sure "residue" is counted as contraband found, and don't forget raw milk.

I didn't bother to read this with a fine tooth comb but since all drug raids and raw milk raids are unconstitutional due to use of the term "man or other animals" and all justifications because of guns are unconstitutional, See 2nd amendment and all officer safety policies are unconstitutional ( title of nobility) Article I, Section 9, Clause 8 of the United States Constitution and Article I, Section 10, Clause 1. It must be concluded that the SWAT team is toast.

Good morning everyone. imagine a swat team officer hanging from a noose in effigy or burning your choice. Have a nice day. This post is not meant to be construed to promote murder or racism in the event you choose to imagine hanging or burning a minority officer, nor is this post meant to violate RPF T&C.

Have a nice day

Constitutionally yours

mrsat_98

Anti Federalist
06-25-2014, 05:54 PM
blimp

jkr
06-25-2014, 06:06 PM
"man or other animals"

I believe this as well, but where does this originate in the "laws" they use to justify their actions?
how often is it used
how often is this defense successful in "court"
what can i site to skeptics?